2020-04-13 23:15:09

Hello.
robjoy, this is a very ambitious project, and I say congrats to you. I wish you all the luck in the world. In case of national teams, I wouldn't mind with West Indian or even flat out Indian names. As for custom packs, I think a community pak page could be set up, where users can uploade custom announcer voices to go along with their custom players and teams. And on the matter of fluency, instead of changing voices all the time, the announcer pannel can be composed of built in announcer voices, and custom voices. Where the default announcers comment on standard players and teams, while the custom one will talk about the actions of custom teams. I'm sure funding of this project will be no problem, becausepeople in this community know quality, and will definately help out in any way they can. And a game of this magnitude will definately generate press, so people outside this community may help you. You never can tell where this project can take yu.
My advice, keep at it, but don't exaust yourself on it. Best of luck to you.

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2020-04-14 00:37:35

Well hmmm, I do have some sound ideas libs but yeah I got them from somewhere, mainly for me to listen to and use, but hmmm I don't own those so couldn't use them.
I have some prosfx libraries which I do own and the complete authentic see sound 4 cd set as well as a few other things.
There is the gdc libs to.
However if you have a sound designer, you don't need me for sounds.
I could try to do comentary maybe but you may need several never did that before so again maybe not.
I do and can do testing the game I guess.
I can also do a few things with wordpress.

2020-04-14 05:45:18

Have you decided if this game will cost? If so I will be buying this one.
I hope that you will have FIFA and MLS rules in the game. I hope that players can play through the MLS even if it is a made up league.

2020-04-14 07:31:17 (edited by burak 2020-04-14 07:32:00)

Hello,
When I saw this topic I was like no, I don't think this will get anywhere. But when I saw Robjoy as the poster I was like yeah, this is gonna be serious. Good luck!

I post sounds I record to freesound. Click here to visit my freesound page
I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2020-04-14 11:51:47

Thanks guys for your trust and encouragement, it really means a lot. I'm currently putting in about 8 to 10 hours a day to research tactics, work on the AI and whenever I have a break, I'm looking for extras, such as candidates for commentary voices. The reason why I am putting this much time into the project right now is that once things get back to normal, I won't be able to work as much on the game, due to my job. I'd like to do as much as I can until then. This was one of the reasons why I said in my first post that this is going to take a few years and I don't really have a release date yet. If things go well, the prototype can be ready by next year, but we'll see.

@crashmaster: No worries. Even if it's just designing a website, it's one less thing for me to do. I was serious when I said that everything counts smile We'll find something.

@cyco I think it is likely that the game will not be free, however, I would like to keep it at a reasonable price, something like 20 dollars if possible. The price of the first version really depends on the funding campaign, it might be possible that it's going to be released as freeware. Subsequent, hopefully yearly, updates will have a small fee, mainly to cover the new commentator additions and to compensate the hard work of the editors. This is really one of those projects that requires a lot of work, especially from a single developer (doing the task of 50 professional developers who are still working on the AI after 20 years or so in a mainstream game), and financially there's not much compensation as the cost of producing game content is very high.

For example, apart from the commentary cost, imagine that for every added national team, the national anthem, or at least part of it, should be included as well. No wonder I question my sanity so many times, haha.

Nothing is set in stone at the moment, and I am sure a lot of things will change by the time we have a final 1.0. But I am really looking forward to it.

I am not sure about the MLS rules at the moment, but I don't see why they cannot be added, especially if we decide to add the MLS league.

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion
Visit my site for all the things I do and to contact me.
You can also stop by for a slice of Pi

2020-04-14 13:59:04

Hey Robjoy,

First off congratulations on taking on such a huge project, being a huge sports fan it would be amazing to see this happen. With the AI you have described it would be incredible to actually be able to play a game like this.

I play a bit of FIFA which is kind of playable but not ideal, so something like this would be amazing.
Being a bit of a tactics guy an accessible way of doing this would be brilliant.

More than happy to help out in any way I can, whether that’s helping with writing documentation or anything else you might need.

Congrats again, looking forward to seeing where this goes.

2020-04-14 14:48:53

Hi there robjoy
As a crazed football fan who follows matches  every week and all the dramas every hour, I am very excited by what you're achieving and wish you the best, best luck.
I do however, want to point out a few things, that i'd be greatful if you take note of.
Some of the users here mentioned a few wrong things regarding how the football is played.
When a team is in control of the ball, 95% of the time they stay in a formation and go forward together in a very precise formation.
Let's forget the advance movements and individual qualities for a moment, and look at it in a very standard way.
Imagine if a team is playing in a 4-4-2  formation.
Now imagine the players standing in a rows of 4 defenders, 4 midfielders, and two attackers.
When attacking and also defending.  these players will move forward, and backward and try to keep the structure of the team as exact as they can, while looking at their team mates, and looking and the flow of the match.
This means:
1. attacking  Players will not follow each other, never. IF they do,, this means that the player who is following a team mate is out of position, effectively leaving his position  completely empty. However, at the request of a player, a team mate, who has the closest position, can come near for more support.
Note that this does not mean that a right fullback should not follow the right winger. because in a 4-4-2 formation, the right back keeps  a distance  behind the right back, so i guess you could call that a follow.
2. When defending and trying to get the ball back for your team, players start by marking other players individually and start by trying to keep being in front of the  attacking players, effectively blocking the way forward and as the opposing player attempts to deviate his movement to left and right, the defending player also does the same, blocking the way.
At any point, if the defending player finds himself chasing the ball, or chasing the attacker, this means that they have lost their mark, and have just failed at what they were tasked to do. however, when this happens it doesn't mean that they should not keep chasing, they have to track back and try to get the ball back, or the least, for the sake of keeping the formation, just in case the ball happen to  come back to his position.
3. Formations are very important in football and one of the major elements which decide the fate of the match. IT defines a team's weakness, It can let a player have a hard time dealing with two players, It can result into another player enjoy exploiting a position and driving at the opposing team at their weakness.
4. Formations are strickly followed by any player in the world, but depending on the tactics, players leave their positions to perform different duties. example,  Cristiano Ronaldo who plays in a left forward position, and usually drops into central forward to show individual qualities and become a target man for crosses and passes, or goes  wide to  be able to make the opposing team lose their formation and stretch.

Anyway I am an absolute football junky, I apologize if the post was too long. I don't mean to be rude to anyone here at all, just  was pointing out some of the very basics of football.
I do read lots and lots of  football analysis, news and articles, I follow players on and off the pitch. So please let me know if i could be of any assistance to your team.

twitter: @hadirezae3
discord: Hadi

2020-04-14 14:50:22

@Lettsee Thank you!

I am currently investigating what option would be the best playing against, when it comes to positions. I know that Fifa and PES use a formation database, but I am looking into whether dynamic positioning, e.g. still a 4 4 2 if you have that as your global formation, but relative to the player controlling the ball, would be better. If not, I might come up with a quick formation editor and in that case having default formations by experienced FIFA or PES players would be very nice to have by default in the game. Essentially, what I am looking for is attack and defense formations and as many as we can have.

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion

2020-04-14 14:51:23

Also, I had a suggestion, Now that you're plotting plans and deciding the fundamentals of your game, Please consider allowing the database to be editable by users, so we could update the rosters and or adjust player stats depending on their recent performance.

2020-04-14 15:00:53

@hadi.gsf This is exactly what I need at the AI development stage, thank you so much!

For example, if a forward has the ball, in a 4 4 2 formation, the other forward would either move to an open position to receive a pass (if support is requested), try and pressure the opponent's goal keeper if the forward in control is open to take a shot, or draw away opponent defenders, e.g. try to stretch the defender line of the opponent and thus try to open up the field.

It would be very nice to have a solution-based approach, e.g. have tactics for the various situations that can happen in the game, which is one of my difficulties as without vision, tactics can be a bit hard to get into at first.

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion

2020-04-14 15:09:47

Updating player stats is actually one of the reasons why I'd like to release a new version every year, if possible. That is, of course, if I have enough new content.

Unless I absolutely have to, I will try to not break backward compatibility of the database, so people who only wish to update the roster without upgrading to a newer version can still do it.

I am getting so many requests to be able to edit in-game content that I am probably going to give access to the internal editors eventually. I will have to disable customizations for multiplayer games still, but I don't see why it could not work offline. Not to mention that dedicated people can also contribute to the improvement of the game, via new or edited content.

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion

2020-04-14 15:39:17 (edited by hadi.gsf 2020-04-14 15:40:54)

robjoy wrote:

@hadi.gsf This is exactly what I need at the AI development stage, thank you so much!

For example, if a forward has the ball, in a 4 4 2 formation, the other forward would either move to an open position to receive a pass (if support is requested), try and pressure the opponent's goal keeper if the forward in control is open to take a shot, or draw away opponent defenders, e.g. try to stretch the defender line of the opponent and thus try to open up the field.

It would be very nice to have a solution-based approach, e.g. have tactics for the various situations that can happen in the game, which is one of my difficulties as without vision, tactics can be a bit hard to get into at first.

Since you're dealing with designing the AI for a quite large portion of the game, I imagine you could make them follow strict positioning at  first.
Following your example in a 4-4-2 formation, Let's also assume that the other team is also playing 4-4-2,  If you're controlling the right forward, and  the left forward is being controlled by the AI, He would try to move forward alongside you, in a parallel position, In between the defender's right fullback and right central defender. Now maybe depending on his pace stats and maybe awareness stats, he could fall behind or not.

What fiffa does, is that on top of what i described, each player makes automatic decisions based on the position he is and the orders you set for him in the game planner screen. example:

left forward player, example Ronaldo:
movement: 1. stay inside while attacking, 2.  go wide when attacking, 3. mixed
defending: 1. fall back when defending, 2. stay forward while attacking,  3. mixed.

You could start implementing these tactics the way you feel like is the best, to avoid overcomplex solutions and also to make the game more interesting by allowing the players to decide what to do.
Now what i have not really thought about is that how do you figure out if your left forward is pressuring the keeper, is slightly behind you towards your left and being tightly marked or is free and running towards goal, waiting you to pass the ball right into his path.
Or how one of your midfielders is to the left of you, making a forward run and is available for you to pass the ball to, so then he could switch the ball to the left and give the ball to your left forward, because passing from right forward to left can be risky  depending on the situation, since there are mostly three players in the way.

These are the challenges you have ahead of you i guess, depending on how sophisticated you want your game to be.

2020-04-14 15:44:51 (edited by hadi.gsf 2020-04-14 15:45:51)

robjoy wrote:

Updating player stats is actually one of the reasons why I'd like to release a new version every year, if possible. That is, of course, if I have enough new content.

Unless I absolutely have to, I will try to not break backward compatibility of the database, so people who only wish to update the roster without upgrading to a newer version can still do it.

I am getting so many requests to be able to edit in-game content that I am probably going to give access to the internal editors eventually. I will have to disable customizations for multiplayer games still, but I don't see why it could not work offline. Not to mention that dedicated people can also contribute to the improvement of the game, via new or edited content.

My personal opinion is that allow the community to edit the roster, this could  put an impact on your new releases each year, but this also means that people won't be forced to buy the game just for the roster update and it means that during transfer seasons we could update our favourit teams.
However, i do have another suggestion.
You could start like fifa and pes started. your first release doesn't have to come with  AI tactical orders, advanced movements or anything crazy like that. it could be just simple with very basic tactical choices, etc.

2020-04-14 16:34:36 (edited by robjoy 2020-04-14 16:54:10)

Regarding updates, I think what you are suggesting is what I was planning to implement. If I can avoid it, I'd rather not pressure people into buying new versions, and support the project when they feel it deserves it. While this might affect the frequency of new versions, since I might not have enough funding to put out a new version, I believe it's the best option to stay faithful to gamers.

Regarding the initial release having basic tactics, I am not sure what would save me more time, adding more advanced tactics later on, which might require me to modify or even rewrite the AI, or to spend more time on it now and release the best quality I can. The perfectionist in me votes for the latter.

So the idea about staying formations, and please let me know if I am wrong, is that no matter the formation, the entire team tries to follow the player in control. This is obviously going to be imperfect, since player speeds will vary.

So in any position, if you have the ball in the middle, the entire team will move up the pitch with you, while non-controlling team players will try and cut off players by blocking their position to the ball. Does this sound right to you as a basic strategy for squad movement?

To add to this, we can probably add individual instructions. Since the pitch is broken up into 18 regions at the moment, you can specify what region to stay in when attacking or defending. Besides this, I think we will also need a left middle or right instruction.

What I am not sure about is if this should be relative to the controlling player, or relative to the pitch, so would players always go to the same position when attacking or defending.

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion

2020-04-14 19:10:46 (edited by hadi.gsf 2020-04-14 19:50:54)

Ok, so regarding positioning
Your initial thinking is perfectly correct. In football, the teams arrange in a formation literally in front of each other, and they keep moving back and forth, in formation, as the ball moves between the two goals
To give you a even more perfect image, Imagine two teams of 4-4-2 facing each other off, in the middle of the pitch. Barcelona vs real madrid
At the back of barcelona's line, there are 4 defenders, and in between those 4 defenders, are the two  real madrid attackers.
in the middle of the pitch there are four banks of players facing each other, and let's imagine that they are both in the same formation, so this means that each midfielder is facing the opposing team's midfielder.
and finally, at barcelona's attack, they have two attackers facing four madrid defenders.
Now, these guys are standing in a formation in the middle of the field. Imagine that real madrid starts an attack.
The entire structure that i described begins moving towards barcelona's goal. Now you can imagine the two central defenders of real madrid are in the center of the field, just a little bit inward towards barcelona's goal, the left and righth defender's of real madrid are pushed higher, and you also can imagine that the two barcelona's attackers are standing  near the two central defenders of real madrid, just close to the center of field, ready to shift the gears forward when the balls comes bouncing back.
So, one thing to note from this
Both teams never, never stay separated from each other! they arange in perfect formation and stick to their markers, so that's why both teams move from goal to goal together.
There are exceptions for this.
1. a forward peals off and remains in the other half of the field.
2. defenders stay bak and don't participate in attack.
and ETC.

As you can imagine, when the formations are different, things begin to look confusing at first, But this is one of the sweet things about football. suddenly important players begin doing important things. suddenly the right side of real madrid begins creating hell for barcelona for an entire half.
This is when AI becomes useful so it arranges the teams automatically into a formation and we as video gamers enjoy playing football cause you can do  different things with different formations.
So to answer your question, the AI has to respect the ball first, and see where it is. If real madrid is attacking and the ball is near barcelona's box, then the right winger of real madrid is actually  standing  just outside the box, to the right or somewhere around that area, and heck even their fullback is further ahead, but i can explain that later.

2020-04-14 19:43:59 (edited by hadi.gsf 2020-04-14 19:48:30)

I'm absolutely horrible at programming concepts and logic, so all i can do is to describe how the real football is played, so then you can find logical ways to implement it in your game. i'm pretty sure you do have to sacrifice some  realism and functionality to make the game accessible, but what exactly, i'm not sure.
I hope my descriptions were useful to you.
One thing to note.
Fifa does an interesting thing where it links two players of opposing sides together.
The player in control of the ball +  the player who is marking him.
or,
the player in control of the ball + the goal keeper of opposing side.
No matter if a second player is pressuring  the player in position of the ball, what fifa does is linking  ball owner+marker at all times. When you move away from your marker and run  left for example, at some point it then assigns you to another marker who's supposed to mark y ou.
This is how it also it makes you defend. when you're defending, it makes you to switch to the nearest player to the ball, (It has a key for it) and then you'll be that marker who's linked with the ball owner

2020-04-14 19:59:22

This is very interesting to read, and it is incredibly useful. I will have to make slight modifications, but based on what you explained, I think Fifa and PES did the right decision to make a formation database.

If I whipped up a quick formation database editor, do you think people would contribute formations? I essentially need a defense and an attack formation, for example for 4 4 2, 4 3 4, 4 3 2 1, etc.

It would make my life a lot easier, because then I could just send players to their destination depending on whether a team is playing defensive or offensive. The editor would be a grid, where you could define a position for the 10 field players for both attack and defense and of course name the formation, so nothing really fancy.

Besides this, players would still have their instructions, for example as a forward stay on the left wing position, wait inside the box, etc. Furthermore, you would be able to overwrite the built-in formation via moving players back and forward in-game.

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion

2020-04-14 20:05:52

I don't know about others, but  I can spend some time and either use your formation editor and  make all the possible  practical formations or i can list them here for you if you want to.

2020-04-14 20:32:29 (edited by robjoy 2020-04-14 20:36:37)

You just shortened development time by about a month or two, thank you very much!

For international matches, I think the dimensions are from 64 to 75 meters for the goal line, and 100 to 110 for the touch line. We could go with something like 70 and 105 for the grid, we could always change dimensions and convert the existing data later, if we need to.

Writing a simple editor is not a big deal to me, so whatever's comfortable for you will work. What we need are just player numbers and positions, for example p1 5, 5 for the left defender, meaning 5 meters from the touch line and 5 meters from the goal line when defending, etc. This is what the editor would save in a file as well. If you think this would be easier to define in a grid-based editor, I'll create one.

The nice thing about the formation database is that you can literally position everyone the way the formations normally work. For example, because you positioned the defenders apart, the opponent forward will be able to stay in-between as needed.

Thanks once again, this information is indispensable and I definitely see why mainstream games would do it this way as well.

Regarding marking players, I think assigning the closest opponent as your marker is a good idea, so it can change dynamically, but I am also open to ideas in this area if you feel we can do something better.

Edit: I forgot to add, regarding attack formations, we only need to define those if they differ from their defensive counterparts, as otherwise I can just instruct the players to move forward. By the way, I am also planning to add a feature to the pause menu, where you will be able to review the entire pitch, in case you would like to determine the starter formation of your opponent, etc.

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion

2020-04-14 23:04:03 (edited by hadi.gsf 2020-04-14 23:04:48)

Can you explain some more on what you mean by attacking formations? At first i thought you ment the formations that are designed for attacking, but then now i realize you mean something else.

On a 4-4-2 formations, and  on formations like 4-2-3-1, some teams have fullbacks that are aggressive, so when the team attacks, the fullbacks actually drop level with the 3 attacking midfielders, and widen themselves, and attack from sides.
so on a 4-2-3-1 formation,  2 of those 4, leave the central defenders behind, leave their own 2 defending midfielders behind, go on level or near the three attacking midfielders, and  attack the box and try to cross the balls in from wide arreas.
Do you mean in these kind of situations?
If so, how should my data explain this, because as the formation advances, this  gradually happens.

2020-04-14 23:53:04

I could also help with sounds. I have over 1 tb of them and new ones get purchased or downloaded every few months depending on what the clients need. I can also possibly find a few friends that could do commentary.

Power is not the responsibility of freedom, but it is actually the responsibility of being responsible, it's self, because someone who is irresponsible is enslaved by their own weaknesses.

2020-04-14 23:56:47

And sense I'm a sound engineer as well, I could probably record things if I can't find a library.

Power is not the responsibility of freedom, but it is actually the responsibility of being responsible, it's self, because someone who is irresponsible is enslaved by their own weaknesses.

2020-04-15 01:43:19 (edited by robjoy 2020-04-15 01:49:34)

@hadi.gsf Yes, I meant this exactly.

So in the case of 4 2 3 1, this would be something like:

p1 5 5
p2 25 5
p3 45 5
p4 65 5
p5 5 25
p6 65 25
p7 5 50
p8 35 50
p9 70 50
p10 35 70

In defense position. Defenders are 20 meters apart, on the 5th meter of the pitch in front of the goal keeper. The next row has the two midfielders on the left and right side. The next row has the three players and the one forward is in the middle.

This is probably not correct, so I am just trying to illustrate the representation. Then, p1 and p4, the two backs move up, so there would be an additional row with just those two players, probably at 5 45 and 65 45, if I understood your description correctly.

But if it is easier, we can do this via the editor, or you could just describe the changes after the initial, defensive setup.

What is important is the actual positions on the pitch, because these will be the positions where all the players move to when there's a kickoff, after a goal, etc. The moment you get the ball, players will have their attack formation instructions to move to.

This reminds me, do I remember correctly that players are not allowed to stay on the opponent's third, or on the midfield, when they have a kickoff? For example after they received a goal. Because this would mean that they would need to move back to defend, only to change into attack formation the moment the kickoff is happening, since it is very likely that they are still in control afterwards.

As always, I am open to suggestions, in case this approach is flawed. Thanks again for your help!

@techmaster20 Thank you very much for your offer. I feel that we're not going to have issues with sounds at the moment, but I will keep you in mind. Everything counts, no matter how small or big the help is, because I can focus more on the coding part, and if there is a project where this counts, it's definitely going to be an audio remake of football smile

You guys are great!

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion

2020-04-15 07:30:34 (edited by hadi.gsf 2020-04-15 07:41:36)

So robjoy
You pointed out the issue to your  formation solution, which i did not pay attention to, so good to bring it out!
So the example you just gave, technically is the formation for a when the team is:
1. deeply defending and is pressed back to its own half.
2. The keeper is performing a goal kick, or he or a defender is kicking off from an offside or a foul deep on their own half.

When the players are kicking off from the center of the field, both teams are positioned a little further  from their goal lines and closer to the field!
So, I'd think that in your  design, we would need three positions then.
1. defending.
2. central,
3. full attack.
In defending form, you can imagine an attacker standing just before the center spot, or in the middle of it.
When in central form, example, if the game is just starting or they're kicking off from a goal, the attacker is standing further up the field. not outside the box, but a little bit further.
When in attacking, the attacker is in the box or at the edge of it.

Then again, I think you should think on how to implement this logically cause i basically have no idea, really.
If you think that we should design three forms for each formation, then i think it'd be better if you made an editor for me, so i could focus on researching and inputting the correct positions for each forms, and then i wouldn't be confused with numbers and such, I think.

edit: As far as i know, i need to do more research on this, All players are permitted to be wherever they want in the match. an attacker can be far off the formation and stand at an opposing team's box!
But you have to take note of off side rules, marking, and  being aware so that you don't get caught off guard!
So  if an attacker just leaves his team's formation and goes and stands in the box, he will have no chance of actually doing anything because even if he receives the ball,  offside rules! Because the other team's defenders are actually higher up the pitch and he's just offside.

2020-04-15 07:50:15

Hi.

At Robjoy I don't know if that has been discussed before, but how will you define the strengths and weeknesses of a player? What I would suggest is that a player has multiple abilitys like, shooting, passing, crossing, tackling and so on tand that each of these abilitys has a value between 1 and 99 where one is the weakest value and 99 is the best possible score.
So, a player who has say an 80 for shooting is able to hit the ball better than someone with a 60 in shooting. Something that can also be done is if the value is especially high, players might overdo with the ability, so let's say someone with a 97 in tackling might go in to hard and risk a fowl, so you as the person playing need to watch out abit on how hard you tackle the other player with the ball.

greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.