2020-04-12 16:44:03

Hi all,

For people in the US, football here refers to soccer. Buckle up, this is going to be a long post. Any input is appreciated, in fact, I am posting this here to spur a healthy discussion.

Being a long-time Fifa player myself, I stopped playing around 2005, because the complexity of the game got to a point where it was not possible to play properly. I am aware that EA is looking for accessibility feedback regarding this, but that's for another discussion.

I looked at Fifa 21, and quite frankly, I am not really impressed. The commentary is very repetitive, we don't get information about squad movement, player positions, etc. Repetition is something that is always going to be an issue, as there's only so much you can do with recorded speech, but I am hoping to try and address the other shortcomings in AF. Game audio could also use some tweaking, as the crowd chants for example are unnaturally loud and do not melt into the general crowd ambience.

Let me address a few questions you might have by now:

I am at a very early planning stage. The game is likely not going to be out for a while, for at least a few years to be precise. There are a few reasons why.

1. While I'd love to work on this full-time, Unless I receive funding, I am unfortunately unable to do so.

2. I can state without a doubt that AF is going to have the most complex AI ever written for an audio game. Perfecting this is very likely going to take up most of my time until the initial version is out. I'm going to explain game AI in a bit more detail.

Players will have their individual AI, which will react to events, for example if a pass is coming from another player, they will try to move to the best position to be able to receive. On the other hand, if you are defending, you would want the player to move to the best position to intercept a pass. How well these instructions are executed depends on the individual player skill level in that area, for example speed, passing, shooting, tackling, dribbling, etc. Eventually, this is something that you will be able to influence via coins or via other means, but probably not in the first release.

Then comes team tactics. If your team is leading by one goal, faults are going to be a bit more common, generally players will be defending more aggressively. This also depends on game time, at the end, for example, it is very common for most players to move back to defend and to head balls away, or just try and block in general.

Then of course there's offside tactics, the importance of the match (is this a world cup?), whether it's their home venue (impressing fans), etc.

For squad tactics, I will have predefined formations, e.g. 4, 3, 2, 1 or 4, 4, 2, but you will be able to set positions for each player as well. During a match, players will try to stick to these positions, and you will be able to change formations at will during a match. This is very similar to how Fifa and Pro Evolution Soccer does it, with multiple defined regions and a formation database.

The complexity of designing an AI like this comes from the facts that there are a lot of parameters that can influence player and squad behavior on multiple levels, as well as making the AI semi-realistic and believable enough. If it is too realistic and perfect, players will find it frustrating, if it is the opposite, it will not pose a challenge at all.

3. How much is ready?

About 5000 lines of AI code, not including headers, corner kicks, off side, throw ins, player or squad pressure. Formations generally work, and the AI is able to decide to pass to the most obvious open player. This is not always what you want, as the AI will become predictable, so I am also looking into reinforced learning strategies per match. Later on, it would be nice to add strategies learnt from previous matches, i.e. if you play against the same team in a world cup.

What is planned?

At first, I am planning to release a prototype with just a few teams, Microsoft SAPI being the commentator.

Regarding teams and players, there won't be any real football players included, and I am not sure I can include existing team names either without a license.

Advanced features, such as multiplayer, upgradable skills, manager mode are features I'd love to have, but they are probably not going to be in the final version. As I am planning to refine gameplay and game audio based on feedback in upcoming iterations (possibly yearly), they will be added in.

When the prototype version is ready, I am planning to start a project funding campaign, mainly to get funding for game assets (recorded commentary, game audio including crowd ambience, ball sounds, music, etc).

Depending on how this goes, and on the release date of the first final version, I can start working on the next version, with slight changes to player stats, possibly new players, and other additions. I will have to prioritize at this point.

Gameplay

Perhaps it is a bit too early to talk about this, but I would love to receive input from the community, because I am interested in how you imagine playing the game. The more details the better.

What I have planned so far is very basic and can easily change. The game will control 21 players most of the time. The 22nd will be the one controlling the ball. In your case, you will have options to pass, cross the ball in, sprint, dribble the ball in a direction, etc.

When passing, you will hear the closest, open player from a specific direction, so you will know what direction to pass the ball in, in case that's the option you'd like to do. You will be able to go through other targets as well. Hitting pass will attempt a pass. Success largely depends on the player's passing ability, as well as distance and how open the receiving player is, i.e. are there other intercepting players who will attempt to do so. You can also attempt a high pass, which can get the ball behind defending players. In this case, the target needs to be selected, as it won't be the closest player.

The strength of passes, as passing is something you do often in a football game, will be managed automatically for you, however this is not the case with shots. You will be able to hold the shoot button, at which point it will start powering up. If you hold the button for too long, it will use maximum power, if you let go earlier, it will use the current power to shoot the ball with. How much power you need depends on distance and knowing the opponent's keeper

Goal keeping will be automatic, but you will be able to control the keeper during penalty shots.

Tackling is something that needs to be timed. You will have audible feedback. Even if you do a perfect tackle, the tackling player's ability can largely influence how successful you are.

Player pressure and squad pressure is also something you will be able to apply, when the ball is controlled by your opponent.

If you've read this far, thank you! I am looking for any kind of input you may have. As this is an incredibly huge project to undertake alone, call me insane smile, any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion
Visit my site for all the things I do and to contact me.
You can also stop by for a slice of Pi

2020-04-12 17:42:31

Hi. First of all, thanks so much for attempting such a project. This is one type of game I really wanted for a long time. Your ideas are really good. While you are right that you cannot include real teams and real player names for licencing reason, I hope you make an editor for the game so we can make teams and leagues ourselves. That would solve any legal issues but would also allow us to enjoy a realistic game with a bit of work, which I would be happy to help with. Also, I hope the game will be translatable to other languages. I know it's quite early to think about that, but as a developer I assume coding your game to be translatable from the start is important and easier than adding translation support later on.
Wish you all the best, and will definitely try to help as much as possible.

2020-04-12 18:18:04 (edited by robjoy 2020-04-12 18:19:52)

Thank you very much in advance, @nidza07.

You are right, making your game translatable from the start is a must, and it makes a developer's life a lot easier in the long run.

In the case of this project, this is even more important, as the game UI, the commentary and to an extent the stadium announcer should be translatable. Later on, we'll have even more things, for example generic audio scenes for news reports, interviews, etc. It all comes down to how detailed we want this game to be. I'll try and do my best so that adding new languages will be as painless as possible.

Regarding the player and team editor, yes and no. Extending the game, especially by fans is always great, as long as the game does not become unbalanced. It is very likely that the game will eventually include an editor, however, custom players and teams will not be available for multiplayer matches.

Having said that, as long as the players and teams are well-designed, I am open to adding them in new versions, possibly off-season. Ideally, I would like to have an editor community, so that this is managed properly.

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion

2020-04-12 18:23:04

Hi
I am happy that someone decided to make first step in developing such a complicated game. As someone who was a hardcore video gamer I really miss playing fifa and PES. Unfortunately thanks  to my sight loss I can not play them anymore.
If you will need any support for translation, if you need someone to discuss the technical part, like how often should fouls occur or similar I am here, I am huge football fan. I also could help with some sound designing and give you some good sounds. As for financial part I will be ready to give few  hundred bucks if I see that things are going into right direction. So if you need any assistance, testers or whatever you can add me on skype. I was waiting for so long for something like this to appear.
My username is kunst.stevan

Best of luck

Stella rossa di Belgrado
We Love you Red Star, we do

2020-04-12 18:37:57

Thanks @vojvoda. I'm glad to hear that there is interest, knowing that headaches are worth it is definitely motivation that I need right now. smile Not to mention your generous offer.

Any info or technical help is useful. Knowing the probability of fouls for example is going to be useful when fine-tuning the AI when it is ready. Past Fifa or PES experience is also indispensable. While I definitely do not wish to clone existing games, there are standards and parts of the game that were never conveyed to me, having not been able to see in-game graphics.

I'm definitely going to add you. In case there are more people (hopefully there will be), would it be okay to add you to a group?

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion

2020-04-12 19:14:15

Hi robjoy.
Wow, this looks like something I could get into.
I do have several sound libraries and such here, I could have a go at some audio, maybe.
It would all depend on the audio, I mean if this is a fixed audio type deal all well and good, but if it needs to be many, many combinations then you either need a team of comentators or speech or something via sapi not sure how that would work.
Naturally I'd back you on something like this, its probably going to be time rather than cash but we will see.
If anything this could be the break I have been waiting for in years.
I have never helped on a massive project like this in my life, up to now my contracts have been really small 1 shots.
I am currently working on getting into a bit website content admin job with a few other things, but my idea was to eventually have some big and small projects under my belt.
Thanks to the world of the net, no matter where I am, if I need to work, I will always have my workstation close.

2020-04-12 19:14:34

Hi.

I also want to congratulate you on that endeavour, these are the ideas and concepts we need in the audiogaming scene these days.
I guess I can't help you programing wise, I do want to leave the field to those who actually know what they are doing.
but I do want to offer my help in other parts of this project.
What I have is some extensive beta testing experience with audio gaming and general gaming projects. i also am able to help out with football rules and regulations, tips for the AI depending on who you are playing against, I can provide sounds, record lines for comentators, nterview personell or what ever is needed.
Also I can help in team creation and designing custom teams if they are needed.
Because my native language is German I can also translate the game for so it has a broader player base.
If that sonds good to you, i really would like to hop aboard the projects and see if I can help out.

Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2020-04-12 19:50:25

Hi,

If a game like that would be released, it would be a dream come true for me. I want to Play a game lie this since I heard about FIFA.
So thank you for attempting to do this!
I would be happy to help at some Point, but sadly I don't have any skills that could be helpful.
:-(
Good luck with this, I have a Feeling that this will become something big!

Greetings and happy gaming, Julian

If you say you never lie, you're a liar.
Oh, and #freeGCW

2020-04-12 20:17:15

@crashmaster Luckily, I am in a position where I have a very good sound designer and we're probably going to spend hours going through what we need and how things should sound like in the game mix. As long as you have legal rights to the sound libraries you use, there is no reason for me to refuse your help, thank you very much! We are unfortunately far away from the sound design stage for now, but it's going to be very important later on.

Regarding compensation, I'd love to compensate any substantial help. For now, I cannot promise much, as it's too early to do so, but if things go well, especially at the funding stage, it's very likely going to happen.

The commentator, just like in other football games, will be scripted. This means having player names recorded at least 9 times, three variants of intonations for three different distances from the goal line. Other lines include, position info, comments on various actions, e.g. "Good pass," "He attempts to pass it through,", "Team name is putting on the pressure here," etc. At best, we are looking at 6-7 hours of initial audio, which we can add to later on, when new players, game modes, etc, are added. Just like players, the commentator is going to have new added lines, even if not yearly, but at least every 2-3 years.

I hope that joining the project will not be a disappointment for you smile

@Moritz, Awesome! Any help is greatly appreciated. Knowing rules will definitely help when you are testing the game, however, I am planning to include a training mode and I am dreading writing documentation already smile

@Juliantheaudiogamer Thank you for your kind words. I am hoping that this will become something big as well. Don't feel bad about not being able to contribute, encouragement counts as contributing and I am definitely happy about it smile Besides, Austria will be included as a team, since I am planning to include national teams first, which means that you can actually contribute first and last names if you like.

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion

2020-04-12 21:33:08

hi,
I am also willing to contribute by any means I can.
also something related to AI:
when you have the ball, the apponent should chase you (by seeking) and when the apponent has the ball and you are chasing him, he should evade you and the other members of your team.
for forwards, they should follow each other (following the one that has the ball for the time when he wants to send the ball).
also when you want to shoot the ball, beside the power that it can have, you should loose control of the player (this happens in the real game as well).

2020-04-12 22:37:58

Hi
Robjoy you sure can add me to the group, I will be ready to spend a lot of my time to help you as much as I can and of course give some tipps from my 8 years long video gaming experience.
Best regards
Vojvoda

Stella rossa di Belgrado
We Love you Red Star, we do

2020-04-12 23:54:26

Thanks @visualstudio.

Defense at the moment works in a way that the following actions can happen. They are rated based on a few factors, such as formation (i.e. how close you are to your set position when defending in your third of the pitch), what's the score, etc. Just to clarify, this is the state when your opponent has the ball:

1. Try to take the ball, if possible.

2. Guard a player. This is important for blocking forwards from receiving the ball from midfielders, for example.

3. Guard an area. This is the same as 2, except there is no player in your area, and your team mates do not need help. If they do, risk is calculated, i.e. what happens if your position is left open. Score is also checked here, because if you are leading by 2 goals, for example, the player will be more likely to leave the set position if a teammate needs help.

4. Block. In this state, the player will attempt to position itself so that passes or shots can bounce back. This is also the position when heading the ball back can happen.

These all have priorities during a defensive situation, and its up to the player AI to choose one and at the same time not ignore squad tactics, i.e. leave a set position.

The offensive state, when you have the ball, is a bit easier, as the goal is either to get the ball, i.e. run after it with the closest player, or if you already have it, your team mates will try to get in a supportive position. Suppose, for example, that you are playing 4, 2, 2 and one of your forwards has the ball. Since you are close to scoring a goal, the other forward is either going to run with you, following the play, or if you are surrounded by opponent players, will try to run into an open position, where he can receive the ball from you, using the player in control to open up the field for a shot.

If you are on the midfield, and have the ball via a midfielder, forwards or attacking midfielders will follow you, get into a receive position so that you can pass, or they will try to draw the opponent's players onto them, so that they can open up the field for you. This is when you usually pass to one of the wing players. When your forwards detect this, they will move into a position for a header, or open the field for a cross. In either case, your team will always try to create multiple options to play with, and it is up to you how you open up your opponent's defense.

Regarding losing control, would this mean that the ball is not under your control anymore and you would need to run after it? How exactly do you lose control?

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion

2020-04-13 01:14:19

Hi
@robjoy this sounds really great and great. so first of all, my congratulations on such an ambitious project
several things. Regarding the search for funding, I would suggest that football is probably the most popular sport in the world, if you can add the translation function to other languages, I think it is essential since the audience that would be interested in donating would be much broader.
Regarding the gameplay, something that was not clear to me, I imagine that the response of a player will depend on his ability. Example is not the same as the shot of a beginner that of a dedicated footballer.
I also ask if there will be climate variations that can influence the field, for example a clean lawn is not the same as one with water, mud or snow.
Another question is if the referee's artificial intelligence is also variable, this as a simple curiosity.
This has more to do with the game modes, but in addition to the way to control a player that you mentioned, I would like to know if you plan to add an automatic mode to put together the team's strategy and that it plays without us controlling it. I mean manager mode.
I ask this because perhaps in a very long season, one does not feel like playing all the complete matches.
Finally, I cannot contribute with any programming, although I was also able to play FIFA and PES when I still had vision, and I am a great football fan.
without a doubt that when you open your financing campaign I will support financially you and I will spread it throughout the Spanish-speaking community. I can assure you that in the Spanish-speaking community there is an enormous interest in a football game, that's why I mentioned the importance of the possibility of translating the game into other languages.
once again my congratulations on this great project, without a doubt that I will support you in any way I can.
Greetings and thanks.

sorry my english, is not my native language.

2020-04-13 03:40:06

One thing that would be cool is to be able not just to edit teams and players. But be able to add teams and players the the data base of the game.

2020-04-13 11:50:48

@FabiG94 Thank you very much. The Spanish community was actually one of the reasons why I am going to put a lot of emphasis on making the game translatable.

Regarding player skills, you are absolutely right. Internally, this is going to be a percentage, which in later versions you will be able to upgrade.

The AI always calculates the best angle and power for a shot. This means that without opponent players to block the ball, and without a goal keeper, the AI shot would always go in. In a match, however, there are a lot of things that can influence a shot. The player's stamina, for example influences the power behind a shot, while the shooting skill influences the aim and how well the ball is controlled during a shot. Besides these, even if a shot is perfect, opponent players can still head the ball away, or run in to block, and of course the goal keeper will also try and follow, either catching it, punching it out for a corner, etc.

Yes, the climate will also influence gameplay. Rain, for example, will be able to make the ball harder to control, as well as making players slide in to tackle faster. Fog will make it more difficult to detect players.

The referee is making perfect decisions at the moment, but this is going to change. If players are obscuring a foul, the referee may not see it all the time. With offsides, there is a chance that the referee will not stop the game. This includes goals scored from off-side positions, etc. There is going to be a setting to control how perfect the referee is, by default, it will be balanced.

Manager mode is, similarly to multiplayer, something that will be definitely added, but it is very likely that it will happen a few versions later, since after the national teams, I'll have to implement seasons which is going to bring in a lot of new players and teams, whichever league I implement.

@cyco I agree. This will be very important for adding in league teams, or just making your own dream team. It's definitely going to be part of the editor.

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion

2020-04-13 13:20:08

Hi.

Well a team editor might just bring in the same comunity efford as it does for example with the pes series, for every game you can find data packs of missing teams on fan pages which can be implemented. So, technically everyone could implement their home team and players with official stats.
Problem then would be the comentator though, unless you have something like an NVDA output which read the player names, that way you wouldn't havve recorded commentary, but still a chance to play with custome players.

Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2020-04-13 14:58:56

Hi,

Unfortunately, since licensing official teams and players is something that is definitely out of the question for various reasons, such as high royalties that I would rather spend on game audio and updating the commentary, or compensate people who put in time and effort to make the game better in any way.

I am not sure how commentary would work for custom teams and players, I think our best option is to have a mix of dynamically generated speech and recorded speech, but we'll see.

To report some good news, I've just fully implemented the referee, including the rule that if the referee touches the ball in any way, the game will be stopped and a referee ball will be used to continue.

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion

2020-04-13 17:53:25

The way it works for Pes, if a player name was not recorded as a commentary, his number is instead announced. So what you could do is record numbers from 1 to 100, then for each team assign numbers to each player in the squad, and then the commentator could just say number 5, number 10, and so on. Obviously, in Pes player names aren't always announced, but commentary in audiogames should definitely be more detailed. For team names, I wouldn't mind if screen reader or Sapi just announces them if no commentary is recorded.

2020-04-13 18:46:22

While this would increase costs, I really like the numbered approach, as it does not interrupt the game flow by switching to a different voice/screen reader.

Announcing player names is going to be a priority. It will probably take us some time to fine-tune what is more important in a given situation, player names or the actions, e.g. "A good chance here!" instead of announcing the player name, but this is why we'll have testers.

Feedback and comments are incredibly useful, thanks everyone! Let me know if anything is not clear or you are not sure about how we might go about implementing something and I'll try to explain the way I'm planning to implement it, so we can discuss bad and good. Keep them coming! smile

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion

2020-04-13 19:29:06

Hi
@robjoy Thank you very much for all your answers. Everything has become much clearer to me.
Regarding the comments, I think that with the edited equipment that the output method is the screen reader or the sapi is fine.
And here another couple of questions.
During the game, can one change the team's strategy? for example, if we are losing, sending the team to attack, or if we are winning, making the team go back further to defend or play the counterattack.
And the other question, you mentioned that the game will be updated every year or couple of years. I did not understand what types of updates are you referring to?
Once again my congratulations for such a great project, and especially thanks for taking into account the Spanish-speaking community to be able to translate your game into other languages.
Greetings and thanks.

2020-04-13 21:48:13

@12, I mean when you want to shot the ball you shouldn't be able to move.
also for commentary, I suggest to use Dectalk for the first versions or you can use a deep learning method which can learn and pronounce the names of the players (WaveNet or things like that might seem useful, but we need a lot of commentary data for training).

2020-04-13 22:05:56

When it comes to commentary just use TTS. I know that using TTS is generic.
However it gets the job done. Plus when players add new teams and players it will say the names.
If you use a real good TTS voice that sounds real then it should be fine. Also it would be awesome if you add the ability to add new stadiums.
With that ability you can also pick if you want a indoor stadium or a outdoor stadium. The reason that I suggest this is because my MLS team the Atlanta United stadium can be open if the weather is good.
If the weather is bad they can close the stadium. They are able to play no matter what the weather is.

2020-04-13 22:37:08 (edited by robjoy 2020-04-13 22:42:46)

Just for giggles, I've contacted FIFPro, to inquire about player name licensing. Since we are not interested in player likeness, as the game will not contain graphics, I can obtain a license for current players in Europe for 250000 dollars for a year. So no, unfortunately real players will not make an appearance, at least officially. There are online sources and the editor will be available, so this can be done via custom teams.

@FabiG94 Any time.

Yes, you will be able to change strategies during a match. I am imagining a pause menu with a tactics option, where you will have team tactics (applied to all players), or individual tactics (applied to a single player). With team tactics, the game will be divided up into 4 regions, so you will be able to instruct everybody to have a tighter defense. This, of course, means that when you are attacking or coming back to defend, your midfielders and forwards will have a lot more running to do. As for individual player instructions, more regions will be available (not sure about the exact number right now), so you can easily change formation from a 4 4 2 to a 3 4 3 or even 4 3 2 1 if you like.

Regarding updates, there are multiple reasons why I would like to do it. The most important one is that not every planned game mode will be available in the initial release. Upcoming updates will address this. This allows me to release the game faster and tweak things that need tweaking. This ideally means that we will have new and improved sounds, the gameplay might change slightly, the AI can hopefully get smarter with each release as well.

The other thing is that the player database needs to be updated as well. Players age, their skills might get better or worse, we can introduce new players and teams, etc.

@visualstudio Thanks for explaining what you mean. Yes, this is going to be a factor when shooting as well.

Wavenet is a good idea, unfortunately it is quite costly, at least from my past experiences with Google. I think the best option is to use a TTS or a screen reader for the prototype, so that I can show something for what I am asking funding for smile I don't think it would be fair to anyone if I asked for financial support now.

@cyco I don't think there is any TTS voice at the moment that can convey the excitement of a football match in a way that I would be happy with. Even if recorded speech is repetitive, I would definitely love to have a real human commentating, if we can make it possible.

Regarding stadiums, I was just looking into dimensions and where certain markings are on the pitch. Because we cannot include real ones, I was thinking about having international minimum and maximum values and randomize for each stadium. What other features do you imagine editing, if we make creation and editing available?

And lastly, we have a candidate for the commentary. Here's a reel he has done. I personally think that it's incredibly good, but I'm interested about your opinion. https://soundcloud.com/voiceoverguy/set … ommentator

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion

2020-04-13 23:00:07

Hey robjoy.
Oh man. This game would really be a dream become true.
I wanted a game like this for years and years so I am pretty excited indeed.
I don't have anything useful to add really just thought I would jump in here to wish you best of luck with this project.

I used to be an aventurer like you. Then I took a knee in the arrow.

2020-04-13 23:05:17

Hi
@robjoy Thank you very much for all your answers.
the truth that everything is heard very well. If I can think of more questions or suggestions, I will be discussing them here.
good luck and go ahead with this great project!
Greetings and thanks.