2020-04-07 14:19:21

Hi
So I have an XBox, and I was wondering if it was possible to make Netflix accessible in any way. Thank you

2020-04-07 17:16:18

Unfortunately to my knowledge, the Netflix app is not accessible out of the box so I'm not aware how it could be made accessible.

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (Minionslayer#2980). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Twitter at @Minionslayer2.

2020-04-07 17:40:54

The app works on Windows 10 using Narrator, so I would think it would work on the Xbox. I don't have one, so I could be wrong. I use the app under Windows 10 on my computer, and it works great.

2020-04-07 18:42:29

@3, I used the Netflix app with an XBOX One a couple of weeks ago and I wasn't accessibly able to select an account to use with Narrator. Personally, I'd imagine that the XBOX version would be slightly modified to look and perform better ona console with controller but there you have it.

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (Minionslayer#2980). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Twitter at @Minionslayer2.

2020-04-07 18:52:10

Just for curiosity, why would you install anything other than games on an XBOX?
Btw, I intent to buy one my self sometime around this week, so I'd like to ask how can I make it accessible? how to turn on narator? would I need any sighted asistance at all?

2020-04-07 22:08:59

Well, people have been using game consoles for more than gaming for years now.
And in answer to your question, no. You do not need sighted assistance to enable Narrator. Once you hit the power button on your remote and it connects to the console, press and hold the XBox button until the controller vibrates. Then, move to the space just below the XBox button. On the left and right, there are two small buttons. The left one is View, and the right one is Start. Press the Start Button, and you should be given a dialogue and you should hear speech. If you don't hear the dialogue now, you will hear it later, and all it basically does is give you some information about Narrator. There is an option somewhere to not show that dialogue, but I forgot what they labeled it as. Then, you should be able to get through setup independently. I know when I got mine back in 2017, I was able to do most of the setup, but I needed help for part of it. Now however I think it's improved. I've been able to access the things that I couldn't do at setup later on after the fact

2020-04-08 06:33:42

This is really awesome, certainly going to look into it further.
I heard from a friend that it doesn't read any ingame text, menus, etc. Is it true? I want to buy one because I want to try mk11 first on a console, I heard it's a really awesome experience, but if this is true, how am I going to interact with the game?
is the pairing of xbox with the computer through the built-in xbox app really going to help the matter? can I, somehow, stream my console screen to my computer? if so, can I go further and use the nvda ocr to read the menus? is it really worth it?

2020-04-08 08:09:45

Yes. You have a thing on your computer called XBox Companion. Run it, locate the thing that says connect, press Space, then tab until you see a thing that says Stream. Once that is done, you will probably get a dialogue telling you that you have no controllers linked with the PC so just press Continue.
Now, if you have MK 11, simply open it, and then when you start hearing noises as you press left and right on the DPad, you know that you are ready to go. You really don't even need OCR to enable the spoken menus. Just press Start, hit Right Bumper, which is right above right trigger. Hit this button four times, and hit up arrow three times. Once you do that, hit left arrow, hit B, hit A, and then try navigating the menus. A lot of stuff reads, it's just the options and a few stat screens that don't speak

2020-04-08 08:20:44

@bgt lover: I'll recommend you to read my XBox guide which you can find in the articles room.
If people don't have an Apple tv, Cromecast or an accessible smart tv, then the Xbox can be used as a media device as well. Therefore you can install apps on it, and even use it as a accessible tv tuner if you wish. I haven't tried that yet though.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2020-04-08 11:34:09

@9: I didn't even know that article exists, thanks for your work, it's really awesome, keep it up, man!
I just found one on an online store in romania, though I think I should wait until the situation with the pandemic calms abit, because I don't know when would I get it if I would buy it now.
well, I really can't wait to play MK11 on it, I practically can feel the joystick or whatever vibrating, doing force feedback and whatever in my hends lol.
and about the tv thing, do I need to connect it to my tv since I don't use the screen anyway? if I do, though how to connect it to the tv, do I have to connect it to the cable through which the tv signal comes?
anyway, thanks once again for the guide, it's really awesome.
btw, how can I learn the buttons faster? is there writing on them or other simbols? if I can contact a sighted, can he tell me what button is what?

2020-04-08 12:14:38

@10, I am fully acquainted with the XBOX controller. I can quickly write up a guide here. Alternatively, just shoot me a mail at [email protected].

2020-04-08 13:24:18

@11: I think it could be better if you wrote a little guide here as well, I wander how the hell do sighted people learn that stuff so quickly? are there symbols on the buttons or something? as it has been described to me, it has a staggering amount of controls. Btw, this is the first console I ever wanted to buy, so I am not that familiar with specific terminology like the "d" pad, the "b", "x" buttons, etc. Why are they called that?

2020-04-08 13:57:03 (edited by Minionslayer 2020-04-08 16:04:26)

Right, here we go. The DPad has 4 directional buttons on the bottom left of the controller. They're clicky and you can't miss it. You can hold to directions at the same time. Above the DPad is the left joy/thumbstick (usually used to move through menus and control the character in question). So either this or the DPad is used for walking/jumping/climbing. The joystick to the right I think is used to change the camera view usually in 3D games but I'm not too sure, depends on the game. Remember you can also press these sticks down. I think clicking the left stick is for crouching usually? The 4 face buttons on the top right side of the controller are A, B, X and Y (used to activate menu items and perform other common actions). A is the bottom one. Imagine if you tilted the controller so that the buttons where in a perfect 2 by 2 grid to you. A is the bottom left one, B is the one to the right (usually used to go back, X is above A and Y is to the right of X. Keep the relations in mind when you tilt the controller back to how it should The XBOX button  is on the top middle. It's indented with the 4 Microsoft colours and has the logo on it. Pressing this takes you home from within a game and pressing and holding it (as already mentioned) brings up a small menu where you can restart or turn of the console or main controller. view is the button slightly up and to the left of the XBOX button and the menu button is to the right of XBOX. This was mentioned but the previous poster said that view and menu were below XBOX instead of above. Just remember you can press and hold XBOX then press menu to toggle Narrator. The back has the left trigger and bumper and the right trigger and bumper. These are pretty self-explanatory. Triggers are towards the bottom (used to shoot weapons. Bumpers are above.
Also, about button names, I believe the are coloured and/or have labels on them. Additionally, you can find out about possible reasons why they are named as such here
Hope that helped.

2020-04-08 15:30:19 (edited by bgt lover 2020-04-08 15:40:53)

thanks very much, man! I think I can imagine it now. I hope I could use it well enough, I really can't wait to play MK11 on it.
When I'll have enough time/experience/money/etc, I will buy the console and will make a youtube video explaining the greattest accessibility problems I encountered while using it, how to solve them, if possible, etc.
for the first time I can remember, I've at least seen something microsoft does, but neither apple, nor, to my knoledge, google even attempts to have their own go at it, gaming consoles.
Before anything can begin, I would rather wait for this pandemic provoked panic to settle before I make any choice regarding generations of XBOX, but I still think it will be the XBOX 1S.
thanks to anyone who contributed to this discussion, it greatly helps the community.

2020-04-08 15:34:48

Alright cool. Just shoot over any other questions you may have.

2020-04-08 16:24:42

Question: I have a Xbox 360S. Can I also get Narraor on that as well? Or do I have to fight it out by myself? Luckily I'm able to read most of the text.
As for netflix, hhow do you guys use it on a television? I recently got a Magnum TV and I was trying to get 13 Reasons Why, but I was hella unsuccessful. As for the buttons, when I first got my xBox I just remembered where the X was, and by chance I guessed they were arranged alphabetically.
As for using your console for multi-media, back when we had a box-back TV, with a CRT display, we used my XBox to watch YouTube, Netflix, etc. Now a days all our devices can be used for more than what they were intended for. And if I remember correctly, we could have played CD's on our old PS2. My uncle had a PS3, but I didn't really get time to play with it

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2020-04-08 16:41:30

No you need the XBox 1 or newer for Narrator

2020-04-08 16:42:45

Damn! Its such a high price for accessibility these days

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here