2020-03-30 19:36:11

Hello.
I have a desire to use Linux as the main operating system.
But at the same time, I can't give up Windows completely.
I decided to use a virtual machine.
On Windows, I've repeatedly used a virtual machine. VirtualBox, Vmware. And I noticed that there is a delay during work. Minimal, but it's present.
My friend uses Linux with a virtual machine. He says he doesn't have a delay.
Installed Ubuntu 18.04, installed Virtual Box. But the delay is still present!
My question is:
Is it possible to use a virtual machine without delay?
Thank you in advance!

2020-03-31 02:05:14 (edited by Ethin 2020-03-31 02:05:56)

Um. No. Its not. There will always be a delay, irrespective of how many resources you give the VM or how much of a particular resource you give it. You can decrease it and on Linux you have things like PCI passthrough, but I would be careful with that and definitely wouldn't use it if you don't know what your doing. However, it will always be present because the virtualization is all happening on the CPU. PCI passthrough is something only Linux can do -- it passes a physical device on your PCI/PCE bus (e.g.: your GPU) to the VM and makes it temporarily unusable by the host until the VM is shut down/terminated or until the passthrough is disabled. The delay will still be present though.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2020-03-31 10:17:36

I'd recommend using vmware over virtual box any day. Virtual box has all kinds of issues, and a lot more lag than vm ware is only one of those.

2020-03-31 19:31:48

@3, how exactly does it have a lot of issues?

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2020-03-31 21:05:14

@3, VMWare is inaccessible on Linux, as far as I've seen. I couldn't even get the installer to work properly, for starters.

To answer the OP's question, no, you can't decrease the audio delay in virtual box from what I've found. Even if you did, it would probably stutter.

I've been going by Bryn, which is now reflected in my profile. Please do your best to respect this :) Mess ups are totally OK though, I don't mind and totally understand!
Follow on twitter! @ItsBrynify
Thanks, enjoy, thumbs up, share, like, hate, exist, do what ya do,
my website: brynify.me