2020-03-30 06:00:34

Hello!
Well I'm really struggling at school, because I can't really find anyone. do you have any tips for me that you use as a blind person to get to know others more easily?
I asked my parents and they say "ask the teacher aid to help you sit next to someone" and, uh, well, no.
Others just say find a friendship group, some say the kids are too shy - one of my old teachers rewarded kids for hanging out with me, utter obsurdity, and to be honest I'm rather fed up with it.
So, do you have any tips? Because at this point, I have less than a care in the world about "making friends" and "bonding" because it just never works.
I show music to people, teach them about how blind people do things, but then they always run off as soon as an opportunity to play sport or tag or look at those awful "memes" comes around.

2020-03-30 06:13:03

I feel the same. i'm gonna take a good look at this topic.

I am a divine being. I can be called a primordial deity, but that might be pushing it, a smidge. I am the only one of my kind to have ten tails, with others having nine. I don't mean to sound arrogant, but I have ascended my own race.

2020-03-30 06:49:57

I'm genuinely sorry that your parents gave you such backwards advice. I can't say I'm surprised, unfortunately, since mine told me that having friends meant nothing, only getting good grades mattered, but damn. Forgive me for saying so, but that response shows a stark lack of empathy. As for teachers rewarding kids for talking to you, I can completely understand how dehumanizing that is, too. The kids only did what they thought would get them a favor later in life, depending on how old you and they are, or, at the very least, they thought it would benefit them in the short term somehow. it's incredibly sad, but, as I said, I've seen it all. It's disheartening to know that such things still happen, though.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2020-03-30 08:40:54

I have no [euphamism] idea.
@turtlepower: my parents had the exact same attitude. Friends are a path to the dark side; good grades are The path to success. In their defense, I've been looking up 80s commercial compilations lately, and their are all kinds of PSAs scattered about to promote things like that. I think someone tried to research how people whose lives were ruined by drugs got into them, found that they mostly got in through friends, and just stopped there and started the campaign against peeer pressure. I'm sure this has nothing to do with 21st century social atomization.

The most important thing I've gotten from looking for advice on any life-type problem is that no one has anything helpful to say. There are only platitudes and cliches and feel-good articles full of ads.
The closest thing there seems to be to a scientific consensus is that friendships come out of shared experiences. Seems believable, I guess.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2020-03-30 19:15:45

I have no more advice than I've already mentioned ion this topic

I will say though, that I am feeling a little smug, since in the land of the corona virus, the one friended man is king!

Social isolation? Not being able to go out? Afraid of crowds? Needing to communicate with your few friends at long distance!

Welcome to my world, great British public!
Funny that here, I'm! the one who's just fine and your! the ones struggling to cope.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2020-03-30 19:56:32

Man, that advice is so backwards at this day and age. In fact, good grades barely get you anywhere. Knowing how to form social connections and networking is where one gets you the $$. And the first introduction to socializing obviously comes from friends. People who focus solely much on academics will be at a severe disadvantage, unless they literally focus their studies at some ultra specialized and understaffed skillset. And even then, the guy or girl who has made friends to expand their options will still have an easier time.

It's hard to form social skills as an adult when one was told to discourage such things as a child. My parents were the same way, and I can say it made things harder. Along with college, you have to suddenly learn how to interact with people, and then quickly turn those connections into ways to improve yourself. Most people with healthy social skills just have to figure out how to network, not how to form relationships and friendships.

the first major hurtle is to try to integrate yourself with the interests and social topics of your classmates. These students have no knowledge nor interst of topics that are popular with the visually impaired. No one uses Team talk in the sighted world, they use Discord. Most people don't use audio programs too heavily in that age group yet, but discussing books with the right people will be a way to connect with others. You just need to observe what are the topics of interest with the people around you, and try to connect with them through showing interst and contribute to the discussion. Then from there, it gets easier to talk about other stuff. As well, avoid tactics by school administrators to segregate you from the main group of students, especially during lunch time. Do not be forced into a far off table close to exits where no one sits. Pick your own seat and maybe try to get to know people around you to sit with during lunch while in class.

It's always awkward meeting new people. Even the most social of butterflies have to consider the best way to interact with people and get a feel for who's around. It just takes practice. And the best time to do this is when young. Take this from someone who wished he wasn't so socially stunted when young, but its never too late.

The answer to your question is forum.audiogames.net/search

2020-03-30 20:14:57 (edited by NevEd 2020-03-30 20:20:03)

I am happy to say that at the ripe old age of 19 I have reached the place of cynicism that most older people reach. And I'll say this, I'm really sick of this support group rhetoric that attempts to hide all the truths about how having a disability effects someone socially. That is if you don't completely kiss ass. I'm all for making the best of circumstances, blah blah blah, don't project your insecurities onto others, I don't expect anyone to feel bad for me, but all of that euphemistic language really sets people up for disappointment when they do end up in social situations and wonder why people act weird around them. Which could lead them to do stupid shit for acceptance. Hey look at that!!!!
I'm not gonna say everyone is just an ignorant uneducated asshole that will never treat you like the others (at least to a rational degree), people act this way out of ignorance, whether purposefully or they just don't know how to make things less awkward for themselves. But the kind of person I am, I'm not the kind of person that's gonna go out of my way to rub people's backs so to speak, and make them less uncomfortable with me. I'm a goddamn human being, clearly I'm able to maintain myself and walk around campus, I can't be that odd, rite? But it usually takes a few encounters until that awkward shit is over with and you can start talking like regular people do. Some people never seem to relax, though. Which is whatever, life is fucking short and I'm not in high school anymore, would've could've should've, etc, fuck all that. What happens will happen. But I have way more online friends than offline friends, much to my mother's dismay. Add a hearing loss to that and that's yet another reason I really don't bother suckering up to anyone. And as far as "the broads" go, I ran into multiple chicks last semester that would chat me up (one even got me food when I had the fucking flu), and then when I give them my number, they'll either tell me about their s/o later, or in one instance one literally said "we can be friends" as she took down my number, and promptly never said anything to me again. Who the hell says "we can be friends" that isn't in kindergarten? So obviously I don't worry about relationships in the same way that other hopeless romantic types with an acoustic guitar do. They tend to look at the feelings more than what facilitates the feelings, and then wonder why they keep getting disappointed over and over. If I'm compatible with a girl on a personality and sexual level, let's just go from there, no pressure, no dumb shit, no showing out for people on social media for their approval. Older women are great.
Oh and as far as the reward thing goes, if you talk to me just so that you look nice to others, you're a cunt. Plane and simple, you're a dickbag, and the best thing you can do is stay away from me. And I'm not talking about little kids here, like children, I mean grown adults, even high schoolers/middle schoolers. I can remember an instance where I was getting lunch with a buddy in 3rd grade and some kid walks up behind me and goes "You're blind, rite?" I say yeah, as opposed to now where I'd probably have some sarcastic response, and he goes "well you're special." I pause for like 2 seconds and go "nah." And just continue the conversation I was having before. I wish I could go back in time and give my younger self a high five for that one.

NevEd.NDO#4838
My community discord:
https://discord.gg/2duutDtGFa

2020-03-30 20:31:03 (edited by Chris 2020-03-30 20:36:02)

I've said for a while now that it doesn't matter if your friends are online or not. For me, I want a connection with someone else's personality, so it doesn't matter whether I talk to him/her over the Internet or in person. I don't need a bunch of friends to be happy, just one or two close people I can fully connect with. Small talk after a certain point irritates me because there's nothing meaningful in the discussion. This is my problem with most people. I'm simply not interested in so many things others are, so finding common ground is really hard. Add the fact that transportation is a major pain in the ass and I don't really want or need to go many places, and you may understand why the Internet is such an incredible resource. I can talk to anyone I want, at any time, from anywhere in the world.

As for chat apps, TeamTalk could most certainly be used in the mainstream. Honestly, my two prefered chat applications of choice now are TeamTalk and Zoom. Discord is a mess and from what I can tell is mostly filled with people playing video games that I can't play anyway.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2020-03-30 20:34:56

@8 In regards to discord, I use it pretty regularly, it definitely is and was in fact for gamers first and foremost but a lot of people use it now, I know a lot of YouTubers that use it and it's a great way to interact with them and others, I personally follow a few musician people that do YouTube as a means to get their shit out there. Now what I really wanna figuer out is a way to use Twitter that isn't a pain in the ass but I can still get all the features and read tweet replies, and it doesn't seem like any twitter clients can do that, and all of these youtubers use Twitter pretty regularly. IG is out of the question for me for obvious reasons. I'm on my computer more than my phone too.

NevEd.NDO#4838
My community discord:
https://discord.gg/2duutDtGFa

2020-03-30 20:42:46

When I was much younger I had a really hard time making friends. My school were really reluctant to accept me in the first place. They only let me in because my mom threatened to sue their asses. When I finally got there, they made me sit in a class, away from the class. The class was broken into 2 separate sections. The first one, where all the students were, and the second one where I was forced to stay. For the most part, the girls were only interested in my eye colour. Its gray  with brown and Blue. I don't think they ever saw someone lieke me with blue eyes lol. Anyway. When I got to standard 1 or so, I started fitting in more. I was still a little outcasted, but I started to make more friends. But to myself I started feeling like they treated me like a baby. I started to isolate myself again, and I started to do more reading. A good chunk of them started cutting me off as well because I was excelling in my studies. They started spreading all sorts of rumours how I was cheating, and my aid was writing the correct answers for me. By the time standard four came around I met my bestfriend. His name was Khishawn. He liked me for me. Luckily for me, even though they looked at me differently I was still able to relate to their conversations because I didn't really know about blindie stuff. I was just an average Trinidadian 10 Year old. Instandard 5 the worst social event of life so far had occured. One of my friends who I had mad in First Year, Kye and another friend I had made, Kedel started, a revolt against me? Kye convinced everyone in class to attack me. Standard 5 was the worst until that point. My mom eventually came in and told the principal about it, and he did something that I hated him for. He told all of them to stay away from me. I have expensive gadgets etc. I had about a month until SEA so I just rode out the storm. Now High School came. New start, I have new knowledge, and new ideas. By this time I was introduced to the blindie world fully. The first week was people bombarding me with questions. I didn't really care for people because of the stuff that had happened but 3 months ago, but I made one friend. Jerome. Jerome and I were really, really tight. We were so close in fact, people thought we were brothers. We looked the same, we were the same hight, and we were alwasy together. Eventually I made more friends. I showed them my world, how I do things, and I even flabbergasted them by showing them that I'm a normal person. I laughed at their blind jokes, and I made some of my own.
The thing is, just be normal. Don't go flaunting yourself around as if you're trying to get support for blind people. Yes show them that you're a nomal person, but as I told RTT, don't be a hero. Be friendly. Joke around with them. If you're not into anime, pervy stuff, sports and meems, don't go forcing yourself into that stuff. If they don't wanna be your friend out of their own free will well so be it. At the end of the day, you go to school for an education. Friends are just something you happen to make along the way. And sometimes, even your best friends can turn on you. I personally experienced that. I hope you manage to make some real, true friends. And as Nevv said, anyone who wants to be your friend out of self-preservation is a dirty person. And you tell them this.
"You my friend attempt to befriend me to make yourself look good? Or to get a reward? Well guess what? I don't need your pitty. Get a life, and buzz off."
You can phrase it along those lines, but by you telling them that, you set a president, and people who even hear you speaking like that will realise you're a cool dude who isn't willing to be pushed around.

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2020-03-31 02:18:10

If you're making music, share it with the world and the world might get back to you one day! At least for me sutch was the case. About eight years ago I got pretty fed up by my friend asking me to make myself a soundcloud account and put my shit up there. Previously I had had quite a nice experience with one specific forum, where I posted my tracks basically to explain and show people, that one particular piece of kit is actually a real thing and not just a toy and got a pretty positive feedback and earned some good rep on there. The only thing I couldn't provide, was some kind of a video showing off my way of working due to understandable factors. Mentioning the obvious fact of me being blind didn't phase people too much, at least it didn't have any negative effect, but also didn't generate that nasty tasting false positivity "we all know, how that goes". And so I got myself onto soundcloud and after some time got contacted by a local guy here in Estonia, who runs a small underground label as a kind of a hobby and asked if I was interested in having one of my tracks on a compilation record, to which I of course gave a positive answer. That planted a seed to a partnership, that goes on to this day. Yes, it's just an underground thing and doesn't really bring money in my pocket, but there are also no stringent contracts and limits to my activities, but instead I have found respect and friends in the community of electronic musicians up here, which gives opportunities for giggs and simply access to people with common interest. As I am a type of persone, who goes really deep into details on some narrow choice of subjects and doesn't really interact on other levels, so imitating an interest in a totally uninteresting topic is out of the question, as interacting in a circle of likeminded souls works more than good!
So, what I'm trying to accent is this: find some, may-be smaller, but well connected group of those similar to you - obviously they don't have to be blind, and trust me on this, if you find your place in sutch a group, they won't leave you and might change your life in a positive way. I could ramble along on this one, but those knowing me understand, that my thresshold in regard to writing thoughts out is pretty low and a feeling of getting messy is creaping up, but at least I have stated my main point here.