2020-08-05 01:16:20

@jayde, true. From what I read though, a couple of people where trying to help, not just staring. Then again, shooting said officer of the law  wouldn't have been the solution either. My guess as to why a bunch of people didn't step forward, repercussions of what would happen if they intervened, although intervention in this case by a third party was warranted as it could've saved this man's life.

sound designer for mental vision, and Eurofly3.
take a look at
My freesound pageWhere I post sounds I record. ps: if you use my sounds, remember to credit me smiley

2020-08-05 02:23:21

Ok so it was obvious I was being  insulted, as he refered to people who think guns should be banned as idiots. And I am sorry, I don't know what world you live in, but someone doing a masters degree does show intelligence, and hard work, the same applys for going to one of the top 3 institutions. Make no mistake, I  didn't have an intention to brag, but I won't just sit back and take insult someone much less educated and younger than myself. When you make a very strong statement, you should only expect the same in return.

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2020-08-05 03:03:02 (edited by Ethin 2020-08-05 03:15:21)

@1003, I think you just proved 1000s point right there. And no, a college degree does not necessarily prove that you are hard-working or extremely intelligent. People who don't have degrees, or failed to get one because of the major failures of our education system, can be just as hardworking and intelligent as someone who got a degree. Just because you have a masters degree in, say, education doesn't mean you know what your talking about when it comes to law enforcement, for example. And, finally... just because you have a degree from college, or two, or three, doesn't mean your not an idiot. The smartest people can be idiots too sometimes. Your college degree doesn't suddenly mean your the ultimate authority on a particular matter, and the way you phrased 998 came off as quite arrogant -- "I have multiple degrees from the top three colleges in the world and therefore I'm right on this matter and everything I say should be respected and no one should call me an idiot even if what I say sounds stupid to them". And yes, that's not precisely what you said, but its the message you sent. Here's the thing: 996 is my opinion. And I have the right to my opinion, and I have the right to voice it. If I insulted you, then I'm sorry, because I didn't intend to insult you in particular, but I will not retract my statement because I believe that anyone who believes that [all] guns should be taken away, and who fails to actually think about all the logistics of such an operation, is indeed an idiot. And as for me being "less smarter than you"? Excuse me, but that's a bit presumptuous, condescending and arrogant of you, don't you think? Which makes me wonder why I should've even had to write that, because if your so much smarter than I am, I shouldn't have had to write that, now should I? After all, your the one with multiple master's degrees, and therefore I should just automatically assume that you know what your talking about, and that your an authority on the subject matter that we're discussing.... right?
My point is that just because you might have spent a ton of money to earn a degree, and even more to earn two, doesn't mean you can't be an idiot sometimes. Your not immune to this little thing humanity calls stupidity. Now, could I have worded this post a bit nicer? Sure I could've. Could I have not generalized in 996 and called everyone who has the opinion of "take all the guns away" an idiot? Yeah, I could have. But if I'd used any other word to describe them, I imagine you'd be just as insulted as you apparently are now. Yes, you may have a few degrees under your belt, and I respect you for taking the time and dedicating yourself to that, and I respect you for proving yourself to the education system. But if you have an opinion that I think is idiotic or stupid, I'm going to tell you so. Your degrees do not make you immune to criticism, direct and blunt as it might be. I may not have a master's degree. I can tell you that I don't even have a bachelor's degree yet, but that I'm working towards it. But knowing that little tidbit of information does not make it suddenly possible for you to judge my intelligence or knowledge, and I find you calling me "less smarter" than you -- in other words, I'm "dumber" than you -- quite insulting myself, especially since you don't exactly know much about me. Me calling a minority a bunch of idiots for thinking of an idea like "take all the guns away" is not intended as an insult, and if you view it as that way then that's fine. The actual intent is to call the idea of it idiotic, and I know that that very minority could've spent the time together to actually come up with a much better one. Ultimately, your going to find people calling you idiots all over the place, and you just have to take it because there's nothing you can do about it. Did I intend to call you an idiot? Nope; if I did, I would've directed that at you and not at every single person who holds similar to identical opinions on this gun issue as you. But I definitely didn't mean for that to be an insult, and I'm surprised that you'd take it that way. If I had meant it as an insult I probably would've phrased it in a much more derogatory fashion.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2020-08-05 03:14:01 (edited by Pineapple Pizza 2020-08-05 03:16:33)

There are a lot of idiots in this world who happen to have degrees From very prestigious learning institutions. It’s just as likely however that they had $50,000 or so laying around, as it is that they got there through actual work. Any one who thinks that your Level of Education alone is an indicator of your intelligence is a fool.

I would rather listen to someone who can actually play the harmonica than someone who somehow managed to lose seven of them. Me, 2019.

2020-08-05 03:16:13

@1005, yep.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2020-08-05 03:19:22 (edited by Ghost 2020-08-05 03:20:28)

1004, ok, where did you get the idea that I claimed to be an expert on everything? Again, as I said, earning degrees, shows some level of intelligence, and hard work ethic in specific areas. Any average joe on the street can't just earn a degree or  survive in one of the top 3 colleges. Your comment, calling me an idiot, was extremely arrogant and condescending, so I responded in kind. And I will make my statement then, if you are freely throwing around the idiot label, anyone who thinks every human being should have a godgiven right to own a gun is a fucking idiot.
Oh and for your information, degrees aren't bought and paid for with money, that shit doesn't fly in top institutions. Degrees are earned with lots and lots of hard work. I had to demonstrate knowledge of and master subjects that could likely make your head explode thinking about them.  and I didn't pay a penny for iether of my degrees iether, so so much for your rich kid who bought his degrees argument.

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2020-08-05 03:35:21 (edited by Ethin 2020-08-05 03:45:03)

@1007, I'm confused on where you got the idea that I had the idea that you were an expert on everything. Because I certainly didn't claim that anywhere in 1004. Yes, earning degrees shows intelligence and hard work ethic. But that doesn't make you immune from stupidity or idiocy occasionally, which is what I was getting at. And as for you making your statement? Alright then, I acknowledge that -- you've stated your opinion quite clearly on this topic and we'll just have to agree to disagree on that one then. Finally, the opinion of 1005 was not something I stated, but something I agreed generally with in 1006 to demonstrate that degrees do not mean your above me. Your smart, and I generally respect what you have to say, and I hope you can say the same about me. But that doesn't mean your above me in some way. If you interpreted post 996 as condescending, than okay... not really sure why it came off to you like that but okay. Finally, I'm now quite curious exactly what subjects you studdied that would 'make my head explode'. Quantum physics, perhaps? Because I still get confused by that -- and I've got several books and have read the ones I have -- though they were primarily on quantum computing. But when you talk about quantum computing, you always gotta bring in quantum physics and quantum mechanics as background. But getting back to my point... okay, so you might've had to study subjects that I wouldn't understand yet. But that doesn't make me somehow less smarter than you at all. Depending on the subject matter, that could just be an indicator that our strengths are not on the same page, or even that I don't necessarily care for what you studied because I feel that what I study is more important to me. I could say the same about the subjects I tend to research sometimes and making your head explode.
We've dragged this way, way off course though... can we try to make an effort to return this discussion to its original purpose after resolving any remaining disputes?

My Github

2020-08-05 03:50:21

I'm just gonna go ahead and point out that I think both of you, Ethin and Enes, are taking certain bits out of context.

Ethin, you're trying to extract a tooth with a sledgehammer. You are overdoing this point, though I agree with the thrust of what you're getting at.
Enes, I don't think anyone is really questioning your intelligence, but in the same breath, I feel like you may perhaps be a bit quick to defend yourself here. I'm more on your side when it comes to gun stuff, and don't really think Ethin or anyone else needs to be calling anyone idiots. At the same time, however, calling someone an idiot on one topic or for one opinion doesn't necessarily mean that they're an idiot about everything.
I'm just going to kindly ask the both of you to try a little harder to respect one another's intelligence, and to maybe put your hackles down just a bit. I don't want this to escalate. I'm coming at this as a person right now, not as an admin, thus the lack of a moderation opener.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2020-08-05 03:58:05

@1009, I didn't think I was taking things out of context, but maybe I am... hmmm. I probably went a bit overboard in 1004.

My Github

2020-08-05 04:25:20 (edited by ignatriay 2020-08-05 04:38:20)

@1004, that's what I thought. And to be blunt, such arrogance... disgust the heck out of me.
@1003... You just pruved my point even more so. That, plus the arrogance your displaying on posts 998 and 1003... Your automatically assuming i, and others, are attacking you when that is not the case, and thus go onto the defense when... No one attacked yo* in the first place. Your posts though...  Let me be blunt. No one questioned you about your intelligence in the first place. You took the posts about people who want to ban guns as idiots... Out of context as again, that was general, and no, no one else but you got... defensive about it. And as far as 1003... Your automatically putting yourself above others. Afterall, you wrote, I don't mean to brag, but I won't take instult from a less educated, and, younger person. You are !aying that, because you went to the top 3 coleges and have degrees, and more than one; your automatically above many.  Take or leave this piece of advice. That arrogance you have, won't take you far. And as others have pointed out, derees or your college, doesn't equal smartness. At all. Enough said. Back to the topic at hand...,
As far as gun control... I'm not saying it cannot be done, but it'll take decades at best to start moving this. It might be possible though.

sound designer for mental vision, and Eurofly3.
take a look at
My freesound pageWhere I post sounds I record. ps: if you use my sounds, remember to credit me smiley

2020-08-05 04:28:24

Jayde, I responded quite harshly because I saw that post as a clear attempt to insult me, and thus I responded in kind.  Also, for people here to casually say, well you were some rich kid who had loads of money, and earned your degrees that way pushes all my buttons, and  generally pisses me off. Itts like someone spitting in your face. It is an insult to all the hard work and dedication  I put into my studies.  Jayde, if I remember right, you were working for a degree as well? Wouldn't you feel a tiny tiny bit pissed off when people suggest you throw around money to get it done?
Ethin, the subjects generally that were hard to understand,  and that I had to produce work about were  formost top down versus bottom up processing models of speech processing, and evidence supporting each of them. I looked at the interactive processing model for  top down and the parallel processing model for  bottom up.
Back to gun control, when I said people should not be allowed to own guns,  I was talking about an ideal world, and I did mention given the current climate it wasn't likely feasable to implement this in a short time scale. Though I think it could be done phase by phase for the longterm.

2020-08-05 05:01:19

@1012, you took that money issue out of context. Like majorly. I significantly doubt post 1005 was ever insinuating that you in particular threw around money to get your degree. That's definitely not what I got out of it, that's for sure. Post 1005 was pointing out that that is indeed one way to get a degree; whether its accepted at the top institutions is entirely irrelevant. The point was that its ultimately possible and people have done it only to prove later in life that they did not, in fact, deserve that degree, or they otherwise take advantage of the fact that they have that and use that degree as some kind of way of getting people to follow along with what they say (which sadly has been happening lately with many people with the coronavirus situation). That doesn't apply just to degrees though -- it applies to everything, or nearly everything. But never did that post insinuate that you did that. I don't think anyone on here would believe you'd stoop so low as to do that -- you seem far more intelligent than that.

My Github

2020-08-05 05:12:18

Uh...so this is where I do want to actually straight-up draw a line here.

Observe the following fictional scenario.

Bob says:
Your degree really doesn't mean much. People can throw around a ton of money and just get a degree that way, and that doesn't make them intelligent, doesn't mean they earned their degree. So just because you have a degree doesn't mean you earned it.

So fine. Shots fired.

Now you don't get to then turn around and say, "Well Bob didn't actually mean to call you out". Yes, he absolutely did. You don't build a strawman like that for nothing.

Either money matters to Enes's degree, or it doesn't.
If it does matter, then own your attack.
If it doesn't, then it should not have been cited. As Enes rightly pointed out, this is a really slimy and backhanded way to cast doubt on someone's qualifications. Because okay, sure, it does happen. But unless you have a reason to think it happened in this scenario, there's no reason to mention it.

Good faith means that you:
1. Accept that Enes earned his degree legitimately until proven otherwise, rather than putting him on the defensive, and
2. accept that Enes possessing a degree means that he is qualified in at least one area of expertise

Good faith does -not require that you take everything Enes says as gospel truth. He's not infallible simply because he has accreditation from prestigious academic institutions. It should mean, however, that in a very general sense, he had the wherewithal to earn his accreditation honestly (again, until proven otherwise). That counts for something.

On the flip side, you didn't help yourself out much, Enes. When some folks do what you just did, wave their credentials as proof that they aren't foolish, it does look a lot like posturing. I respect that you were made defensive by comments inferring that you were an idiot, but your overreaction might have made this worse than it already was.

Tl.dr: don't bring shit up unless it's relevant. Don't throw mud unless you're willing to hold up your dirty hands and say, "Yeah, that was me, and here's why". Lacking that reason, just don't bother. I don't feel there's any really good defense for bringing money (as it relates to a degree) directly into this discussion.

2020-08-05 05:33:16

@989 as i pointed out, the A R 15 is sold as a semi automatic but can very easily be customised to full burst fire. that makes it an assault rifle when it's done and in fact if you look it up, makes it an m16.

Who's that trip trapping over My bridge? Come find out.

2020-08-05 05:36:27

@1014, point taken. I didn't see post 1005 as insinuating that though, and again, the only reason I agreed was because it was one particular way and had no intention of insinuating that Enes in particular had done that. Maybe 1005 intended that, but I certainly didn't.

My Github

2020-08-05 05:39:54

Jayde, it was crystal clear that the money comments were in reference to my degrees, and I just find that disgusting that I would be accused of paying to earn my degrees. I despise people who do that, and my family's financial  situation would not have allowed me to attend Cambridge if I hadn't gotten a scholarship. But that idiot comment pushed me  over the edge, and I decided to throw all the cards I have on the table. I certainly didn't mean to appear arrogant  or condescendinding to anyone else on this forum, as my comments were directed exclusively at the commenter. But one principle I have, if someone shoots at me, I fire back, with the same calibur ammo. I absolutely didn't  intend stuff I say to be taken as gospil as Jayde said, but based on my education, don't think I'm an idiot with my opinions, if I make a claim, it is after research, or  deep thought, and reasoning. If I am unsure of something, or don't know an answer, I will say so, or if something is an ideal world situation and probably isn't doable in the real world.
Oh, and I don't think having a degree makes someone qualified in other areas, a really good example is trump's economic advisor, peter navarro, who proudly toughted his PH.D in economics, as reason that he could understand and interpret hydroxycloroquin papers, whereas, he was not actually qualified to give an opinion on the subject, as understanding medical papers truly requires a knowledge of medicine in addition to a knowledge in statistics.

2020-08-05 05:49:50

Enes, I'll counter that by saying that just because you have a degree, that obviously doesn't mean you can't be wrong, or can't embarrass yourself. I think my responses out too. Generally you'd hope that most of us would do this, and that we'd respect the educational credentials we talk about not to run around yelling as loud as we can. Some folks don't do this, however.
There's no cause to call you an idiot, but there's no cause for you to wave your academic success here as some sort of panacea against being an idiot. I think that's the point that's been made. Just because one has a degree does not make one immune to criticism.

But this has become an exercise in sophistry. I trust we've all made our various points and can lower our tail-feathers a bit? That last is not directed at any one person or group any more than any other.

2020-08-05 06:11:57

Jayde,  I simply said I would take offense to just casually being called an idiot on the forum, and one reason I brought up my credentials, though I may be wrong,  I am not an idiot, there is a very clear cut difference between the two.

2020-08-05 07:42:20 (edited by Ethin 2020-08-05 07:44:46)

@1019, the point that Jayde and I are trying to make is that I wasn't explicitly calling you an idiot. Nowhere did I say or imply that you in particular were an idiot. If I meant to say that, I'd have no reason to hide behind some facade and call the people who want guns taken away idiots -- I would've flat out called you one and that would be that and this discussion would be entirely different. I generalized and called people who want to take "all the guns away" idiots because that, to me, is an idiotic idea, and I'd expect better, because taking all the guns away is holy unrealistic and is just not gonna happen in my lifetime. Better gun control yes, take all the guns away no. I've acknowledged this previously but I'll acknowledge it again: could I have not worded my statement as such? I certainly could've. But if I had, I most likely would've had still insulted you. Insulting you was purely an accident; there was no reason you had to wave your creds around as if that somehow fixed the problem or made you somehow superior. Calling me "less smarter" because I don't have a degree yet only aggravated the problem and was definitely insulting towards me and only made things worse, hence my rather harsh response in 1004.

My Github

2020-08-06 04:10:36 (edited by Pineapple Pizza 2020-08-06 04:14:57)

I just got mindfucked. In South Korea, a country with a population of 51 million, Coronavirus infection  numbers of about 14000, COVID-19 related deaths are only a little above 300. Hundred. In the United States, which has a population of 328 million and coronavirus infection numbers of about 4 million, we have over 156,000 deaths. 156,000. Are population is only a little over six times as much as South Korea. And 156,000 deaths is more like 520 times as much compared to South Korea, and if you don't Believe me do the math yourself. 300 times 520 = 156,000. I worry that some conspiracy theorist is going to take these numbers and start railing about how the US is over reporting deaths in the hundreds of thousands, but I couldn't stay Silent when I saw this

I would rather listen to someone who can actually play the harmonica than someone who somehow managed to lose seven of them. Me, 2019.

2020-08-06 13:32:35 (edited by Ghost 2020-08-06 13:32:51)

I really think it is because of trump's lax attitude with the virus, his refusal to wear a mask, thus  setting a bad example,  and  his push to fully open states before infections were under control.

2020-08-06 13:35:20

Also, apparently with  hospitals deciding who gets treatment, with beds full, disabled people are refused to be treated. I think this is extremely worrieing. Here is an example I saw a few days ago.
https://thetexan.news/austin-hospital-w … ronavirus/

2020-08-06 17:51:02

@1023, that's... messed up. And with that we've reached a kilobyte of posts. big_smile

My Github

2020-08-06 18:00:10 (edited by assault_freak 2020-08-06 18:01:18)

1021, this is the case in a lot of Asian countries.. Take this quick google turnup...
Confirmed
Recovered
Deaths
'+' shows new cases reported yesterday · Updated less than 2 days ago·
Taiwan's population in 2018 was 24 million give or take a few hundred thousand. I am proud to be of Taiwanese descent... and wish the rest of the world would pay attention. No lockdowns, just a mask dominant culture and swift contact tracing that was learned from the results of the Sars outbreak in 2003, as well as a closed border. Restaurants were never closed, nor were schools. Just new health measures enacted to enhance contact tracing and tracking.

Discord: clemchowder633

2020-08-06 18:48:39

@1023 @1024
That's bad, but if this continues we're going to see much more of it.  That article makes it sound like that particular hospital wasn't overwhelmed, so shame on them, but it's also Texas, which is having overwhelmed hospital problems to at least some degree, and that article reads as biased to me for some reason, so idk without more time than I have to do research of my own to find out what actually happened.

At some point people will be making triage decisions and in some places already have been, and much as I hate to say it "is disabled" is far from the worst methodology for such things.  So I also find myself cringing at the whole "let's make sure disabled people get care no matter what" movement.  People in the U.S. have lost the ability to deal with the world sometimes just sucks problems.  Disabled people aren't less valuable, but if I have intensive care unit bed 5 with patient a the 20-year-old athlete and patient b the blind guy and I'm a doctor who has to make a decision by 5 minutes ago, well, someone's got to get it and I don't have time to go gather a full life history, if I don't make a decision based off the superficial evidence in front of me they both die.  Neither side of that decision doesn't suck--even if you flip a coin it's a no-win situation.  either you let a disabled person die and half the world hates you for it, you let a fully able-bodied person with a higher chance of surviving die and half the world hates you for it, or you admit that you flipped a coin and half the world hates you for it.

One of the reasons I get worked up about this stuff is just how few people I know don't get that that's an actual thing we actually have to do because the government fucked up, and the entire U.S. is just fundamentally incapable of understanding that this is the consequence or that lots of other countries have to make these decisions even in normal times.  I will say I've never been tolerant of Trump supporters, but we literally have a president who is almost single-handedly responsible for teaching the U.S. what medical triage means, and still we get "everyone has good points".

If Seattle were worse than it is, I'd be paranoid at the moment because I am blind and this would mean maybe not getting treatment, but, well, that's life, not much I can do about it, and if there were I'm not sure I should.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992