2020-03-11 17:00:48

Ok, I'll try Edge then, because like many people here, I still have the same
problem with Chrome.

2020-03-11 17:04:59

Just bought for MacOS and the download I received was for Windows.

I don’t believe in fighting unnecessarily.  But if something is worth fighting for, then its always a fight worth winning.
check me out on Twitter and on GitHub

2020-03-11 17:06:20

Such a cool game! haven't scene one like it, so glad you're taking this on!

My chiptune archive is https://chiparchive.com/files/.
And the new sync key is
BQHTXTVRWGMFSI3BI3ZVQ4TGEOGNJJO64
Twitter is https://twitter.com/thechiptunearc1?lang=en

2020-03-11 17:19:25

Hi.

@PitchBlack, I tried the game and have found it's not my kind of thing but I'm glad I payed for it to help you guys out.

I'm gone for real :)

2020-03-11 17:29:04 (edited by Dark 2020-03-11 17:33:56)

Okay, one odd thing I'm noticing.
The ball gets hit, and is centred, then all of a sudden I hear a clack sound, and it will go off to one side or another. I would guess this corresponds to the net in the original pong (well the line big_smile.).

Sometimes however, it will then just run off completely and I'll lose a point, even though up to that stage the ball was centred, I don't know if it falls off the table or similar, particularly since as I said I'm never sure who has hit the ball when.
This effect has stopped me getting more than three or four opponents in, I think my furthest is the opponent just after the  mad scientist type with the swirling background,  who says something about "defeat is not an option."

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2020-03-11 18:07:15

Hi Dark! That's great feedback, thanks so much for taking the time to give feedback with such detail. Once we've collated all of the feedback from players, we'll be updating the game (most likely a couple of weeks).

As regards difficulty levels- there are five opponents at difficulty level one, which you cycle through if you lose, if you win, you go up the difficulty level, at which point you're on a linear progression of opponents- Archie (woman in the bar), Finn (Irish guy), The Director (posh sounding crazy guy), The Emperor (German sound evil guy). If you lose, you go back to the start, the goal is to beat The Emperor. When you do, it'll play against him until you lose.

The clack sound is you hitting the ball.

Hi Kyle

Odd, that's happened to a few people but not when we test here. What's your e-mail? I'll send you a direct download link for Mac smile.

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

If this release goes really well, we're considering Audio Pong 2 for a few months down the line.. featuring multiplayer. But it's gotta seem viable, as we've got 'THE' release set for October and it'd mean putting off some other planned smaller games.

Cheers guys and gals! So lovely to be involved in the community.
Harry

2020-03-11 19:25:48

I noticed in the Android tutorial it says space bar at the end. Not sure why.

Kingdom of Loathing name JB77

2020-03-11 19:28:36

Yep! That's my bad. It's a left over from the PC build. It's meant to say 'Double Tap'. We'll be fixing it in the update.

All the best
Harry

2020-03-11 19:28:59

P.S. Kyle, you should have an e-mail from me now.

Harry

2020-03-11 19:33:14

I just bought the android version of the game. Sound quality is top notch, and responsiveness is also pretty good. I am curious though as to how wide the paddle is. I appreciate the hit range of the paddle being a little forgiving, though I kinda wish you could control the rate at which it moves sometimes. I also think that the game aught to have a proper ending, and an extra endless mode for those that want to keep playing. Perhaps some achievements as well, but for a first effort this is great, and I'm happy to have bought it in support of you all. Great job! smile

2020-03-11 20:44:35

Hi.
I've just spend like 40 minutes on playing the IOS version on my iPhone 7 running the latest version of IOS.
The good:
Very responsive, great sounds and easy controls.
The bad things in my opinion:
1. I've also noticed the double ball sound quite a few times.
2. The tutorial is just weird in my opinion. It's like the game is playing itself, so it continues no matter if you get it or not. You can't actually practice in the tutorial.
3. The game has no scoring system, no achievements, no way of winning the game, and even no way of failing and get a game over. All the things explained in post 31 is not even explained in the game unless I have missed it. Sorry to ask, but how should people even figure out the goal of the game?
4. The game have no replayability at all because of the things mentioned above. I mean, even free arcade games do have some kind of replayability, and this game is even payed, after we have backed the Kickstarter campaign.
5. It would be great if the game mentions when you move to the next difficulty level.
6. The background sounds are too loud in some situations in my opinion. I'm not sure if they are ment to make things harder or if it's a bug.
7. When pausing the game, it would be great if the player got reminded that swiping to the right is exit, and swiping down is continue. Just because, exiting does exit the game without any confirmation.
I'm glad I bought the game to support the development, and I'm glad I backed the Kickstarter campaign as well. But as the game is now, I can't recommend it because I don't feel I have got anything but great sounds out of the money I've spend on the game. It would have been another thing if the game was free.
I'm sorry if any of this sounds harsh, but when you pay for a product, you at leased hope for a great product out from your expectations. Then I heard it is an arcade game, I at leased hoped it had a scoring system, and any kind of replayability.
I look very much forward to follow the development of the game to see where it goes.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2020-03-11 21:01:45

@Harry, that makes sense, though in that case then oddly enough it seems I hit the ball, and then it goes off to another direction and I lose, which is very odd.
Be that as it may, with what you've mentioned about the difficulty systen I have in that case managed to reach the emperor, ---- oh and I do agree with Slj that notes when you progress in difficulty, or maybe even a Vs screen with the opponent's name mentioned would be nice, especially since I gather these are characters in a larger story and universe, so knowing who they are might be helpful down the line.

@Slj, the only background I noticed as too loud on the pc version was the one I believe for the director, a sort of humming like a spaceship. I agree scoring and a tutorial where you could actually practice might be nice, though as it is the games' price is so low I don't mind as much, particularly since this is manifestly a first version and the game is going to be expanded or polished up, indeed I sort of got the impression the tutorial was sort of planned to be interactive anyway but perhaps due to time or resources constraints was released as an audio cut scene instead, something which might alter later.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2020-03-11 21:13:57

@36

The kick starter thing was for the main Pitch Black Game itself, audio pong the the other projects they are doing is for on the side, and to tie us all over before "the big one!"

2020-03-12 08:24:39

@Dark, I trhink when the beeping is faster, the ball is coming closer to you, so that's when you should be trying to hit it.

I'm not super familiar with Pong, so I assumed that you're supposed to move the paddle so the ball is in the center. I'm having the same problem as a few others here though; the ball sounds doubled, and even when I center it, sometimes I still miss it. Ironically if I let it start out centered then sort of drift left or right, I hit it more often. So I'm not sure if your goal is to actually center the ball in your stereo field or if you're meant to put it somewhere else. Would really like to get it though since this does sound like it could be a lot of fun.

Make more of less, that way you won't make less of more!
If you like what you're reading, please give a thumbs-up.

2020-03-12 10:23:24

Hi SLJ

Thanks for the great feedback! We'll be taking those notes and a lot of others into account when we release an updated version in a week or so. The cut-scene approach to the tutorial was a managing resources thing, we were conscious of sticking to our release schedule and thought due to the game being mechanically simple, whilst not ideal, the cut-scene approach was good enough, and so we decided to make it as entertaining as possible (with the silly VO).

The game's replayability stems from the simple but enjoyable mechanic. Many many games have one mechanic done well, especially on mobile, that's what we were going for here, with the added benefit of luscious sound design and fun characters. As regards charging £1.99 for this, the game play took over three months of on/off development to get right, and then every character has their own arena, and their own set of entrances, win, and loss lines- so a lot of sound design and creative work. Providing all of this for £1.99 seems like a very fair deal to us.

When thinking about how much small companies might charge for a product, consider the above, most games take a huge amount of work to get to the point where they can be shipped, even if they aren't perfect at release smile.

Anyway! Back to the gameplay! I'm making a list currently of little, time-efficient improvements we can make to the game that have been suggested by the community, if ya'll have any further ideas, please do shout up, it's great to get good feedback and if they're viable they'll go straight on to my to-do list.

Muchos love!
Harry

2020-03-13 07:15:16

@musicalman, at the moment I couldn't be sure  who was hitting the ball when, so I just tried to keep it centred at all times which seems to work.
@Pitchblack, fair enough on the tutorial, but perhaps if not actually an interactive scene, some longer clips of gameplay might help, of course if the double effect and the issue with the ball randomly going off get fixed, this might not be necessary.

As regards price, I was quite happy myself with £1.99 for the game given the quality of the audio, and the number of lines for each character etc, after all, one track bought on Amazon would fetch that much and there is already that amount of audio in the game, I also gathered that this is very much a work in progress and an attempt to support future game development.

I will say, if the game had cost a fiver, I'd have been far more hesitant, since if I'm paying five quid for a game, something in terms of score and stat tracking which gives at least some idea of replay value might have been nice, but as it is, the small price tag was okay with me.

2020-03-13 08:28:48

Yeah I'm happy with the price as well.

2020-03-13 14:30:39

Great to get your thoughts. We're continuing to support the game. This isn't an official announcement yet, so keep it between friends, but we're looking at the possibility of multiplayer, and so being able to play against one another. Potentially with customisable paddle sounds.. but, I need to see if it's viable within a reasonable amount of time. If that is added, we might increase the price for new buyers, as there'll be server costs etc. associated with multiplayer, and the additional development time. Nevertheless, I think it'd be a great addition.

2020-03-14 05:56:48

I'll be interested to see where this one goes, ditto with your other titles.
In the mean while Here is the database entry for the game , if Multiplayer or other changes are made in the future, I'll be glad to update it.

2020-03-14 13:23:24

Thanks Dark! Love the write up.

All the best
Harry

2020-03-14 18:35:01

Someone should post it in applevis

Every day is a good day!
When life gives you a lemon, make lemonade!
Opinions are like arseholes - everybody has one, and they all stink.

2020-03-14 19:14:50

i want this game to be on steam

i am the best bread in the world.

2020-03-15 04:31:31

@Garr, I'd do one myself,accept that I decided to get the game on Pc so am unsure of the Ios controls.

2020-03-15 23:15:16

Hi.
I wouldn't mind to pay more if multiplayer is going to be released.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2020-03-16 03:40:41 (edited by Garr 2020-03-16 14:18:38)

Okay, got it, iOS version.
I'll put it up on applevis.
found 2 things.
1. I was double tapping to continue but it said press space in tutorial, guessing from PC.
2. the background noice went up think it was match 5 making it hard to hear and even after losing a few times the noise didn't go back down. Feels like if I moved around on the field but can't figure out how to lower it.
3. I hear a hit before time, is that the wall bounce?
Not really my type of game but effort deserves reward and praise.
Sometimes it feels like if I lose and advance and win and digress.
Also I feel like I'm aligned and miss and not in position and hit.
applevis entry:
https://www.applevis.com/apps/ios/games … audio-pong

Every day is a good day!
When life gives you a lemon, make lemonade!
Opinions are like arseholes - everybody has one, and they all stink.