2020-03-08 08:48:28

Hi,
I have a 20gb ssd server from OVH. Obviously, I will expand the storage later on. Theoreticaly will I be able to host my wordpress site with that VPS?

If you found this post helpful, amusing or funny, please thumb it up!
To get in touch, please email me using the email link below this post. If you prefer, you can also send me a friend request on discord. I'm thetechguy#6969. Please do not send me a PM on here as I don't check those often.

2020-03-08 09:10:38

Yes. Absolutely.  Though how is involved enough that you're probably going to need to find tutorials and such, and I haven't configured pHP in many years at this point so I can't be overly helpful on procedure.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2020-03-08 11:41:32

@2, thank you. my vps has only 2gb of ram though so I think the web experience will be a little slow. Am I correct in assuming this?

To get in touch, please email me using the email link below this post. If you prefer, you can also send me a friend request on discord. I'm thetechguy#6969. Please do not send me a PM on here as I don't check those often.

2020-03-08 12:54:11

No, not exactly, if you know how to set up WP and assuming you will not have millions of users present at the same time.

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com

2020-03-08 13:45:35

@4, ah. ok. I won't have millions of users, maybee a maximum of a hundred all at the same time.

2020-03-08 13:52:36

Then you can run it without any problem. I ran 5 Wordpress based websites in a VPS with 1 GB ram without any problem before.

2020-03-08 14:55:16 (edited by gerech 2020-03-08 14:55:58)

Hey guys,
Since we are talking about vps, I have another question. Will you recommend for me to install iRedMail?

2020-03-08 17:46:25

hello,
yes you can.
install apache, MySQL, php, and you are good to go
if are you asking me, iyou can install a panel like webmin or kloxo to configure your lamp stack (webmin and kloxo are 2 different things)

2020-03-08 18:28:18

Configuring your own mail system is a bit hard which is funny, as mails are with us for decades, but anyway, it's hard.

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com

2020-03-08 19:42:25

Configuring your own mail server also runs into e-mail trust issues, where e-mail providers will decide that you're spam because you're running a new server they haven't seen before.  It also makes you a good hacking target.  If you want e-mail on your domain, Google charges $5 a month for GSuite.  You just add some MX records and then never have to touch it again for the rest of time, and they walk you through what you need to do in detail when you sign up.

My Blog

2020-03-09 01:18:02

You can also buy only hosting for Wordpress with eg. C Panel. It's fully automatised and easier in configuration eg, own permalinks work fine without combinations.
If you want install WP on the VPS, you must firstly install and configure(It's easy) Apache2, php, FTP server eg (ProFTPD) or if you don't want use FTP for example due to better security big_smile you must use SSH to send the Wordpress files to serwer.
But if you don't have ftp server on your machine , WP can not install his addons and you must do it manually.
After you put WP on the server, you must only give RWX on some folders which are needed and complete the wery easy instalation creator via web interface.

Mao!
--
TD programs website available under new address.
https://tdprograms.ovh/

2020-03-09 09:59:03 (edited by gerech 2020-03-09 09:59:57)

@#10, but I can add spf and DKIM so other E-mail providers can trust my mail server, right? the problem with g-suite is that they charge $5 per user per month. So if I have 10 users, I would have to pay $50 per month, and I don't really have the budget right now.

2020-03-09 17:48:53

@12
You really, really, really do not want to go down the hosting your own e-mail route.  If you do, and you get it wrong, your domain may get permanently flagged as spam with major e-mail providers, and there is no recourse.  This is something you either get right the first time or not at all, and then you've only really got it right until you get hacked (and since e-mails with organic traffic are really valuable in that sense, yes people will try; and before you ask how they find you, you can scan the entire IP V4 address space in an afternoon).  yeah you can prove the domain is yours, but that just means you've proven the domain is yours if someone starts using it for spam, and you still get blocked anyway.

If you're looking to run a big multi-user setup then yes, gsuite is going to be expensive. But if it's just for you then I'd go that route.

if you actually want to go through with this, I can't help you because I've never done it.  Quite apart from the issues around getting flagged as spam and being hacked, you're also putting yourself in the position of having to maintain this.  If it goes down or goes wrong, e-mails are going to just not get delivered, and that means that unless you're 100% confident in the security/stability of the setup, you can't ever use the address for anything important in case it decides to swallow i.e. job applications.  And if you're going to be running this for other people as well, you also take on the responsibility of not swallowing their e-mails.  People aren't just going to try again later like with a web site.  This isn't "O I couldn't download a game" or something.

And if you really do have a bunch of users, they're not going to be able to all just go tell everyone that their e-mail address changed when this inevitably goes wrong.  E-mails are forever.

So: are you really prepared for the fallout of this?  I get budget concerns, but if budget is a concern then you should really just tell people to use their personal addresses because those will be reliable, and either not bother with domain e-mail at all or only buy it for yourself.  You can cut budget corners on WordPress because if it goes down you can just restore from a backup, but e-mail has to be up and un-hacked 24/7 and the first time you get hacked you're done, probably forever.

Sometimes things are expensive because they're genuinely hard to do.

My Blog

2020-03-10 04:17:16

@13, thanks for the advice. I realized now that yeah it will be hard to maintain. I will look at g-suite or outlook.

2020-03-11 05:51:12

hey guys,
So I have an ssh connection to my server. Now I would need to copy output to my clipboard. How do I do that in PuTtY?

2020-03-11 06:50:09 (edited by Ethin 2020-03-11 06:51:19)

@15, use windows 10's (now built-in) ssh command to be able to do that. That just uses a normal terminal window, so NVDA+f9/NVDA+f10 and ctrl+a/ctrl+x/ctrl+c/ctrl+v commands work.... sort of. ctrl+c, for instance, doesn't, but NVDA+f9/NVDA+f10 work and might also work in PuTTY. I think its built-in anyway... should be

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2020-03-11 11:14:24

@16, thank you. But I have another problem.

After installation, it gives me a 500 error. here is my wp-config.php file.

apache error log wrote:

[Wed Mar 11 03:44:55.787704 2020] [php7:emerg] [pid 24055] [client 162.158.118.125:24984] PHP Parse error:  syntax error, unexpected 'wp_' (T_STRING), expecting ',' or ')' in /var/www/thetechguy.cf/wp-config.php on line 72
[Wed Mar 11 03:45:28.120840 2020] [php7:emerg] [pid 24061] [client 162.158.118.125:39414] PHP Parse error:  syntax error, unexpected 'wp_' (T_STRING), expecting ',' or ')' in /var/www/thetechguy.cf/wp-config.php on line 72
[Wed Mar 11 03:56:27.724295 2020] [php7:emerg] [pid 24052] [client 162.158.119.42:61584] PHP Parse error:  syntax error, unexpected 'wp_' (T_STRING), expecting ',' or ')' in /var/www/thetechguy.cf/wp-config.php on line 72
[Wed Mar 11 03:57:15.106909 2020] [php7:emerg] [pid 24053] [client 162.158.119.42:11214] PHP Parse error:  syntax error, unexpected 'wp_' (T_STRING), expecting ',' or ')' in /var/www/thetechguy.cf/wp-config.php on line 72
[Wed Mar 11 04:00:08.637275 2020] [php7:emerg] [pid 24054] [client 162.158.119.42:18228] PHP Parse error:  syntax error, unexpected 'wp_' (T_STRING), expecting ',' or ')' in /var/www/thetechguy.cf/wp-config.php on line 72
[Wed Mar 11 04:00:11.724409 2020] [php7:emerg] [pid 24058] [client 162.158.119.42:22412] PHP Parse error:  syntax error, unexpected 'wp_' (T_STRING), expecting ',' or ')' in /var/www/thetechguy.cf/wp-config.php on line 72
[Wed Mar 11 04:02:10.368899 2020] [php7:emerg] [pid 24055] [client 162.158.119.42:17774] PHP Parse error:  syntax error, unexpected 'wp_' (T_STRING), expecting ',' or ')' in /var/www/thetechguy.cf/wp-config.php on line 72
[Wed Mar 11 04:09:33.375215 2020] [php7:emerg] [pid 27118] [client 162.158.119.120:46820] PHP Parse error:  syntax error, unexpected 'wp_' (T_STRING), expecting ',' or ')' in /var/www/thetechguy.cf/wp-config.php on line 72

How do I fix this?

2020-03-11 17:50:02

@17, not sure why its throwing that error, but I do notice your doing this as root. Its bad practice to do that, you know. smile I can't find any actual errors that its giving -- maybe is a file included via require_once()?

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2020-03-11 19:36:39

@16
Afaik NVDA+F9/F10 work in absolutely everything that NVDA can get text from.

@17
My guess is that you're missing dependencies, or need to update some.  Start by trying that.  For Ubuntu/Debian:

apt-get update
apt-get upgrade

And say yes at the prompt.

My Blog

2020-03-11 19:52:33

@19, yeah. Problems is that I don't think PuTTY works very well with NVDA.

My Github

2020-03-11 21:12:09

@20
Yeah, agreed on that. WSL is much better.  But I've met lots of people who use it without a problem, so switching isn't necessarily apropos.

My Blog

2020-03-12 04:15:45

#18, Yeah I noticed that everyone is saying that using root in mysql to manage wordpress is bad. But why? I'm the only one using my vps anyway.

2020-03-12 04:34:13

@22
because if someone gets root, it makes it trivial to do anything at all that you can do to your VPS.

If properly secured WordPress gets hacked as non-root, worst that happens is you get some bad content on the site or something.

If WordPress gets hacked as root, worst that happens is your VPS provider bans you because they dragged you into a botnet.  Almost true story: I got shut down for that once, but not banned, fortunately.  Though that VPS did end up getting destroyed because I couldn't get them out (in general, once hacked, permanently hacked).

If I was going to provide security advice here it would be that root is okay if and only if all the following are true:

1. Your ssh keys are all password protected.
2. Nothing on the VPS is used by anyone but you.
3. Nothing on the VPS deals with money in any fashion.
4. The VPS is for exactly one thing, i.e. the WordPress site, and will never, ever be used for anything but that one thing.
5.  You've put a firewall on the VPS, from your VPS provider's side, which restricts all outgoing traffic and restricts all incoming traffic to port 80 and 443, which is only ever disabled while you are sshing the VPS for maintenance or deployment.
6. Nothing on the VPS contains personal information of anyone else, i.e. comment systems, e-mails for people from your comment systems, etc.
7. Nothing on the VPS contains an API key that can be used to reach another service, i.e. a Google Cloud service account.
8. Nothing on the VPS is a nicely pre-authenticated CLI to something important, i.e. to your VPS provider, which might be used to do things on your behalf.

It is actually relatively common to run software on VPSs as root, believe it or not, but when you do so you are saying "Okay, I'm fine if everything on this machine gets owned, permanently, forever".  For someone who isn't doing a large cloud deployment, that's usually not actually how you feel about it.

In addition, the above point about firewalls is of critical importance if you want to do this.  Firstly, if you go over your bandwidth caps you will get charged, irregardless of if it was because you were hacked.  But secondly, if you aren't firewalling through the cloud provider and are instead using something on the VPS itself, then when they own WordPress as root they can just issue the commands to turn off the firewall and that's the end of that.

This is really worth learning to do right, and is honestly probably just using the user Apache should have installed for you when you installed it in your configs.  You will need to learn Linux users and permissions very shortly anyway because you'll have to troubleshoot it when you start uploading files, so you might as well do it now.

My Blog

2020-03-12 05:01:07

If your on a dedicated server, then you might not have an edge firewall, so your only option is to use the server firewall. But try to run as little as possible as root that exposes itself to the network.

My Github

2020-03-12 05:14:53

@23 and @24, thanks. I have made a wordpress user that can only access the wordpress database.