2020-02-20 06:43:10

time for a discussion....

we see so many apps, web sites, and games are still not accessible in the year 2020. i think there should be some type of team/organization that makes an fully accessible version of these apps/websites. I know there are laws for certain sites to be accessible, and they make it barely manageable with a screen reader once some heat comes down on them, but that is still doing us no good. a lot of times the screen reader just jumps all around the freakin place, or it lags very badly, buttons and links aren't properly labled, and so much more will be so frustrating with the site, that even though the site is "following the law" and makes it readable with a screen reader, its so frustrating to navigate the site, most of us just say forget it, and move on, now the laws that are set in place means nothing if we are still not using the site. now just think about if we had a team, to sit down and actually really, make the site 95percent accessible(I didn't say 100percent, because of course I know nothing is perfect). a lot of games and web sites should be fully accessible, with no excuses. for example, pizza hut. there app and web site is terrible with a screen reader, papa johns work just fine, only thing Gee force would have to do is mirror the exact thing papa johns did for there site with pizza hut, problem solved. another example, moble and computer games. yes I know some games that strickly depend on visuals and graphics is not realistic to make 95percent accessible ok I get that, BUT look at how many games are text based that are not even playable. lets take the game family fude, this is a game that evolves around text, the team gee force should have no problem making an accessible version of this game, once again we are simply dealing with text, no graphics, so there is no excuse why a screen reader shouldn't be reading this. as we can see leaving things in developers hands is just not working, they make excuses on why they can't go back and program the app, or they half ass it to follow a law, then they move on, so instead of dealing with that headache and fight, lets just cut that out, and have a dedicated experience team, that knows exactly what it means for a site or app to be accessible, and have them take on the task so they can do it properly. this team can be funded through the business that is to lazy to make there product accessible, or through government grants. we are so far along in technology, things should not be this bad when it comes to accessibility regarding tech. we already have some teams that work with certain jobs to make jaws scripts for there applications to be usable for the visually impairred, but even that is very limited. we just need so much improvement in this area, I always just hear a lot of excuses why things are not accessible and i'm sick of it. and before anyone ask, I have no idea why I named the team gee force lol its the first thing that popped in my head. so what can be a good name for this team/organization? and yes I already know a team like this being built has a 0.1percent chance of ever existing, but just wanted to have the discussion and let off some steam

can i get a peace double harmony burger? no chaos

2020-02-20 10:07:25

agree with you smoothgunner
this company should be called accessibility asosiation
and it should have list of apps; games; and websites; accessible by screan reader users

my new youtube channel. click subscribe if you like my stuff
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzL-l8 … YCkjOm3FIg

2020-02-20 15:16:50

What would be our plan though?
Would we essentially try to apply as coders for the devs? As testers? How would this work?

2020-02-20 18:02:39

if you have a plan i will help

Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem. All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them going again. I trust you are not in too much distress.

2020-02-20 22:17:12

In theory, it sounds wonderful.  IN practice?  IN the real world?  Well, That's where I think you're going to hit snags you can't even begin to imagine.  I think you know that though, wihch is why you practically stated this was all hypothetical anyway.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2020-02-23 04:19:14

CAAWG
the
Commission
for
Accessible
Applications,
Websites
and
Games

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2020-02-24 06:01:58

yes  Nocturnus, you are absolutely correct, I already know building a team like this, to carry out such a plan is pretty much slim to no chance with many obsticles, this post was just to vent, and let off frustration. it sure is nice to dream tho isn't it

can i get a peace double harmony burger? no chaos

2020-02-24 11:01:19

if we do nothing nothing Happens and Things will ever be the same

Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem. All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them going again. I trust you are not in too much distress.

2020-02-25 12:18:02

@smoothgunner, I'm sorry I was the wet blanket on your visions... I've seriously forgotten how to dream.
You know, once upon a time I reached for the stars and tried to pull them down from on high where they sit and then realized I was no match for them no matter how hard I tried.  Today, I wish I was simply a child with no innocence lost, no care to give, no sense of anything but the blissfull naiveness that comes with being said child.  How beautiful those days were when I asked questions because I was curious and was only taught with respectable answers.  Today if I ask a question I run the risk of stepping on someone's toes.
and yes, now I'm ranting, because honestly?  This is the kind of thing I'd love to see happen, but realize will not happen because we all have so many differing opinions and backstory and other crap we have to sort out first.  It honestly does upset me, and when I'm upset, I can't help but think of all the years I've lost between here and then.  Then again?  Maybe the fact that my birthday is coming up so quickly and I'm turning 32 has something to do with that too...

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.