2020-02-19 20:47:07 (edited by Fubsepude 2020-02-22 10:54:29)

Hi folks.
Why is it that every flipping time a blind person complanes about the inaccessibility of recaptia verifications we get crapped on with all this crap about them being a good security mesure and despite us understanding this we still get flipped on about it?
So I got to thinking the other day while having issues with this why don't we get some other security systems iinto use.
Like sms verifications where a sms is sendt to your phone number with numbers and/or letters in it wich we could then enter into a textbox on whatever website we are trying to use?
Pardon me if I'm being a bit overacting with this but I just don't like it when sighted people treet me like I am stupid and don't understand why they are there despite me explaining to them that I fully understand that websites wich deal with personal data have to have some form of security on them.

Check out my music here.
http://fubsepude.bandcamp.com

2020-02-19 20:51:18

Oopps.
I think the name of the topic should perhaps be changed to reconsidered instead of banned.
Sory.

Check out my music here.

2020-02-19 20:55:39

There are now Google Recaptchas, which work great and have clear audio alternatives. Those should just be publicized.

2020-02-19 21:02:47

Yep I have seen quite a few of these but they don't always seme to work/be available.

Check out my music here.

2020-02-19 21:33:10

And again, why couldn’t they just add an SMS prompt and allow people to get texts sent to their phone number?

Discord: dangero#0750
Steam: dangero2000
TWITCH
YOUTUBE and YOUTUBE DISCORD SERVER

2020-02-19 21:48:16

SMS would leave out people who can't read them for whatever reason. I agree though that some captcha systems are just ridiculous.

2020-02-19 21:48:51

Not everyone has a phone, you know.
For me, the system where you gotta check the check box works fine, but it really annoying on moble.

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2020-02-19 21:53:16

Right. So that logins can be intercepted by a botnet snooping the server for the sms's being sent. Or your texts to be intercepted thanks to most carriers' very poor handling of security, and everyone and their mother in big tech treating sim-swap attack victims like they're the criminal. Real secure, right?
The real solution is more publicizing/use of u2f to avoid illegitimate logins. It's true that a bot programmer may have a u2f dongle personally, but a bot is not going to be programmed to intercept u2f key passthrough as it is between the hardware and the browser, and obscured within layers of encryption on the side of the hardware. It's just, not enough companies are willing to jump on the bandwaggon, and not everyone is willing to buy a u2f dongle. On one hand I kind of hope that knockoff companies pick it up so someone can walk home from Walmart with their hello-kitty super-secret-securomatic3000, but on the other hand I'd honestly rather pay the $45 for a Ubikey which I know wouldn't have a hidden backdoor.

2020-02-19 22:24:47

i think the audio chaptcas are fine

Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem. All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them going again. I trust you are not in too much distress.

2020-02-19 22:47:00

What's wrong with Recaptcha? Upto now, every single one which I was solving was fully accessible.
I have it even on my website to secure logging in and adding comments, so i don't need to use spam filters.
It's very handy solution.
Only thing that doesn't work from time to time is audio captcha in Tor browser, when I try to search something on Google. For some reason, if I click on Get audio challenge, a message that too much traffic is going through appears, although that was exactly the reason why I was solving the captcha in first place. I don't know if that is the case also for its classic version, but trying another nodes route usually helps.

Best regards

Rastislav

2020-02-19 23:20:58

I've had many issues with captchas as well, not as many recently but still more than I'd have liked. I remember one time where this was especially annoying. I had participated in an online marketing projecting that involved checking out different video ads. The ads were no trouble, and the survey itself was no problem to work through, but at the very end there was this captcha that I had to fill out and there was no audible solution for it. I do remember that there were some tools for solving these things for FireFox, but those are no longer supported or are not being updated so that they are compatible with current versions so far as I know. Anyway, as a result of not being able to fill out this captcha, I couldn't verify that I was human and, as a result, was unable to be paid for my work. This happened a number of times, and I did hold that captchas should be banned. I have since understood the unfortunate need for them, and am thankful that there are, in more instances than not thankfully, audible solutions that can be used and are being used now. I do agree, and many of my sited peers do as well, that something better needs to be used than security verification via captcha. I have also had it happen where I called on a sited friend to help me solve on of these things and they couldn't even see it that easily, and that was even after having maximized the screen. In the end though, no matter what solution is used you're going to have some idiot out there that feels it necessary to cause trouble by creating a bot to hack into a site or something else to that effect. In short, so long as there are trouble=makers out there like this, there will be no perfect solution that's going to work for everyone. It shouldn't be that way, but unfortunately that's what we've got to deal with.

2020-02-19 23:32:01

One that comes to mind that wasn't completely accessible was Twitch. For whatever reason, the play audio challenge button didn't exactly work.

A winner is you!
—Urban Champion

2020-02-19 23:51:04

Rastislav Kiss wrote:

Only thing that doesn't work from time to time is audio captcha in Tor browser, when I try to search something on Google. For some reason, if I click on Get audio challenge, a message that too much traffic is going through appears,

That's pparently Google's way of using screw you to Tor and Brave users, unfortunately. They can't track your browsing activity that way if you're using one of those browsers, and their simple Google re-captcha does exactly that.

2020-02-20 02:56:50

I haven't had any problems with capcia, but the ones I've had have done did have audio. However, if only few capcias have audio, and these are not public... Technically? That's discrimination, and a case could be made for this, but if audio capcias with audio are available publicly there shouldn't be a problem...

sound designer for mental vision, and Eurofly3.
take a look at
My freesound pageWhere I post sounds I record. ps: if you use my sounds, remember to credit me smiley

2020-02-20 03:42:02

my major problem is with the audio quality. I understand they have to be a bit scrambled but if you have hearing problems that background hiss often drowns out what you are trying to listen to.

Who's that trip trapping over My bridge? Come find out.

2020-02-20 04:10:28

I agree on the issue of quality when it comes to the audible captcha solutions. My hearing is perfectly fine, but I have trouble hearing some of these things myself at times. I can only imagine how hard it would be if you have any sort of hearing issues. A good friend of mine has had that trouble on several occasions.Granted, the quality on many of these things has gotten much better, but there are still plenty of problems like this out there. I just finished filling out my taxes for the year, and in order to submit everything and file it I had to fill out this captcha. Now, they did provide an audible captcha, but it took me resetting the thing no fewer than ten times before I could get one I  could actually understand because of the poor quality. It's crazy!

2020-02-20 07:43:42

as you said, some of them, but not all of them

2020-02-20 07:47:53

Oh, hell yes! That would be wonderful! I'm too lazy to write a long post at the moment, so here's an article that explains everything wrong with GooglereCAPTCHA much better than I could:
https://kevv.net/you-probably-dont-need-recaptcha/

For any web developers who might be reading this, there are also some alternatives here:
https://switching.software/replace/google-recaptcha/

Yes, I definitely left the forum. Mhm. Why would you have any doubt?
Code 7 tips: https://forum.audiogames.net/topic/4010 … or-code-7/
Don't forget to be awesome!

2020-02-20 10:49:38

Fubsepude wrote:

Oopps.
I think the name of the topic should perhaps be changed to reconsidered instead of banned.
Sory.

You  can just click the "edit" link below the first post, and then edit the topic subject if you wish.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2020-02-20 11:54:01

reCAPTCHA is fine for me. There are audio challenges for visually impaired people like us.

If you found this post helpful, amusing or funny, please thumb it up!
To get in touch, please email me using the email link below this post. If you prefer, you can also send me a friend request on discord. I'm thetechguy#6969. Please do not send me a PM on here as I don't check those often.

2020-02-20 13:34:47

yeah
in almost captures there is a audio capture option to choose

2020-02-20 15:34:53

Like most people here, I don't have any problems with re-captcha at all. I can solve it easily.

2020-02-20 17:29:52

Here's the thing. Capcia's are ment for security, but they should not be used for tracking people. That's abuse of privacy and a whole lot of stuff

sound designer for mental vision, and Eurofly3.
take a look at
My freesound pageWhere I post sounds I record. ps: if you use my sounds, remember to credit me smiley

2020-02-20 18:32:11 (edited by Still_Standing 2020-02-20 18:33:18)

I have no   single problems on solving  them at all,  either i use the audio and solve it through that add on for google chrome wich i forgot  it's name but yeah, i'm cool with any option if it comes to  checking if you are not a robot

And as anyone who's gone mountain climbing knows ,The serene snow-covered peaks that look so tranquil from a bdistance, Are the deadliest
sound is my vision
i rarely check my private messages on the forum, so if you want to contact me please use my email, or dm me  at oussama40121 on tw

2020-02-20 21:17:38

I used to have trouble with them, but like a poster here said, the new google recaptcha is better now, I like those I'm not a robot check boxes too, but sites that have no alternative ways but images just frustrates me, wonder if there is a good Firefox add-on available that could solve them easily.