2020-02-14 20:49:57

Ethin, slight flaw in your logic. Installing and using an anti virus doesn't actually get rid of windows defender. Sure there are ways to disable it, but those aren't ways your average Jo would be able to figure out easily. Speaking personally, I trust MS more than I trust some random corporation that while trusted by the majority, still has the power to effectively do whatever they fancy, and also limits the protection I'm given unless I pay them large amounts of money. No thanks.

2020-02-14 21:19:57

Windows defender also known as everything is a virus. It even detected ESpeak as malicious recently. Yeah, but Microsoft knows what they are doing. To use defender, I would first need to spend half an hour excluding 90 percent of false positives. This random company as you put it is very well known, and especially if you visit their blog you will be able to see how they are doing the security research. Also, it's not all that expensive either, but you can use the free version as well. Sorry, they need money to live. You can't compare an anti virus company to Microsoft, it's just silly.

2020-02-14 21:30:58 (edited by Dark 2020-02-14 21:33:05)

Funny, the only issue I found with windows defender and dodgy virus detection is with audiogames made with VGT and it's easy to create an exceptions folder, indeed whilst we're slagging off AVG, even when I thought the program was actually doing a semi decent job, it was no respector of exceptions.
I remember the very early Klango games Haunted factory and pirate memory game from 2007 AVG didn't like at all, even when I made their install folders exceptions.

What's worse, is it later went on and munched the setup files too.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2020-02-14 22:06:41

@26, you do realize that MS, too, has that same power, and that you have to pay to use defender because you have to pay for a windows license, right? If MS wanted to they could do whatever they wanted to your computer without you knowing.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2020-02-14 22:17:44 (edited by haily_merry 2020-02-14 22:21:06)

Ethin, again your logic is flawed. MS could do whatever they want with your computer because windows. Enough said. Defender has nothing to do with that. Also, now you're comparing buying a windows license to buying an anti virus? Yeah, of course you should have to pay for an operating system, that's common fucking sense. Defender is only one small part of a much larger package. Also, once you've bought windows, it's yours, or at least the version you bought is, no subscriptions necessary, unless they offer those now in which case I stand corrected, but the rest still applies.
Edit.
Something I forgot to mention, technically you don't even need to pay to use windows 10. Sure you're limited, and there are lots of watermarks and things nagging you to purchase an activation key, but besides that windows is still fully usable, and that of course includes defender which was what you were comparing against. Yet another hole in your logic.

2020-02-14 22:35:30

I used to run no anti-anything on my machines. I would always have a copy of malwarebytes installed to scan every now and then (the trial would always eventually expire and this was before I had a debit card), and I was relatively ok. Sure there were times where i'd get something and i would eventually get rid of it or, on a few occasions, reinstall the OS. Whatever.. Rite? What made me change on this a little bit was when I tried to use cracked malwarebytes because I honestly didn't have a lot of money, still don't really but I was being a little too pinchy with it, and I had just built my new PC. Everything is groovy, rite? Until I go online trying to download mods for GTA IV. Now I guess somewhere along the line, I got a popup (I'm pretty sure I had ublock installed) and I didn't notice anything happened, just closed it. A day or two later I'm just using the computer and boom! BSOD. I thought my sound drivers had taken a shit on me since I was fucking with them at the time because I wanted my mobo sound to act normally. NOPE!!! While trying to reinstall windows 10, I got several errors, something about unpacking zip files I don't really remember. so I decide to make another windows 10 installation flash drive. I do that, it installs fine. I install malwarebytes. And while scanning I discover I caught a trojan that spread to every fucking executable on my drive, every game exe, every single one. Worse was that my storage drive was attached to my computer for the past 3 days so it spread to that as well... It also infected my first windows 10 installation drive.. So around 8 hours of scanning later and a few games I had stored loss, plus some drivers, old programs, etc, I was ok again. Next time I got paid I paid for the single device subscription for malwarebytes, something like $35 a year. Which is chump change for me, that's nothing. Never again. Malwarebytes is great and even though I've had some issues with it like I stated above, if I need to add exclusions, for files, it just works. I don't care for Windows Defender though. because I use windows 10 LTSC.

NevEd.NDO#4838
My community discord:
https://discord.gg/2duutDtGFa

2020-02-14 22:41:55

If you don't wanna pay for your device to be secure, then install linux. If you don't wanna install linux, because you use windows programs, and don't trust MS, like I do (I actually have ubuntu installed on another partition), then just take control of your shit, disable defender, and run whatever goddamn security program you want. Microsoft has a track record about not being the greatest with security compared to 3rd party AV/AM developers. And why not pay for them? Malwarebytes never ripped me off, they make a good product and need funds to keep it ticking and up to date. This is the real world, you shouldn't expect people to give a shit about you just because they "should."

NevEd.NDO#4838
My community discord:
https://discord.gg/2duutDtGFa

2020-02-14 22:56:36 (edited by Nocturnus 2020-02-14 23:00:45)

@haily_merry, leave them alone and they will come home, wagging their tails behind them.
I can say that.  Why?  Because I spent the better part of 10 years!  Yes!  Ten, strenuous, psychotic, nerveracking, heart racing, mind boggling, palm sweating, frustrating years without being able to get my hands on any kind of AV or AM software or any protection for my family's PC's, my friend's PC's, the laptop my school set me up with in o3, etc.  I was the protection.  I was the do or don't, the guy who fixed things when my brother and sister-in-law wanted new screensavers and crapware that really was absolutely unnecessary.  I was the guy who scoured the net hoping and praying I could find something accessible to use and not coming up with a thing back then.  Backdoor and batchfile viruses were my childhood enemies!!
And what kind of computer knowledge do I possess?  Probably less than those of you who are suggesting that common sense won't get you a dime worth of sleep.  Well, I'm here to tell you that you can't hold a candel to me.  The fearmongering you toss around is the kind of stuff you learn out of bad habbit when using AV and AM software for so long and expeecting it to hold your hand.  Even when my school finally relented and purchased Semantec for my PC in o5 I was still left out in the dark as I couldn't use the software.  When AOL 9.0 tried to get me to install McAfee on them just for using their platform I was equally disgusted.
Imagine my surprise when I first saw windows defender pop up as an option for computers in, what was it, o9?  2010?  No more trying to see if I could bum nod32 off of someone and seeing if that thing was going to be accessible.  Why?  Because MS was taking a step in making malware prevention software simplistic to use and enabling it to protect you from most things.  To this day, it is doing its job quite nicely.  When it cannot, malwarebytes takes up the slack, and even webbrowser companies are taking on the war against internet infection.
Everything else you could possibly need is built in if you are already using win10, from the once previously misunderstood and ever so seemingly annoying UAC to the updated windows firewall.  You're virtually protected unless you're an absolute nitwit, and those exist.  We can't stress this enough; we're not saying go around and not use anything.  We're saying that you go around and educate yourself on what you're using and why.  Don't throw away money for something that can be done for free and can be done accessibly.  I've already stared that side of ugly and am telling you that you can save a lot of trouble and heartache by following my, and other's advice.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.