2020-04-17 14:11:36

Hello all,

Yesterday "Heart's Choice" released a new game "Never Date Werewolves" and unlike the other titles, this one looks semi-interesting to me and if I had to pick a heart's choice game that looked cool to me, it would be this one at this point.

You are gender-locked into being a female werewolf, though sexuality isn't locked and you have to manage your pups hin helping them learn to hunt and do other things, while also managing to try and find a love in your busy, single-parent life in Lyones France.

I admittedly like werewolves but this one doesn't seem as ridicuolous or (to me) unpleasant to play as some of the other titles and the premise seems more appealing.

I have no intentions of playing this title, but thought I would share it with you guys anyhow.

I'll let you know more Choiceofgames news when it comes up.

2020-04-21 16:14:13

a second look and full review of "To the City in the clouds."

Hello all,

I have played "To the City in the Clouds." and some of my oppinions have changed about it. Normally on my "Second look," segments, I'll just say what has changed about my views. However, I do not feel that my first review of the game was complete enough so I am going to write a full review now.

Genre: To the city in the Clouds sets itself up as an archeological adventure featuring you exploring a city in the Andes. It labels itself as a supernatural story, yet this only comes into play on certain occasions and many playthroughs have nothing unrealistic about them in terms of what happens. Also, the time you spend in the city is a real let-down, only lasting a very brief chapter.

Writing: This game has you playing as a daring archeologist who wants to know the truth of the city in the clouds. In doing so, you will have to deal with drug runners, collumbie guerilla soldiers, the supernatural forces of the city in the clouds, and typical jungle threats like disease and wildlife among other things I haven't yet seen. The variety of things in the game and how they are described is pretty impressive. The writer also did their research and know of some rather obscure south American and Mexican things.

On the other hand, the game's tone can be rather crasse at times, talking often about behind-closed-door things between students and students or assistants rather often, whether they are referring to you if you go that route, which is an option, or whether it is referring to other characters in the story. They also present several rather sexualized characters throughout the story, with a set of three women who are the love intrests, being there pretty much for a brief and casual affair if you want it, and even if you don't if you make certain choices leading up to that point, and often when you are talking to characters like reporting your findings if you survive the game, there are some major sexualized options there as well.

Asside from the rather intrusive amounts of sex in the story or suggestions of it, some of the character interactions are pretty good, and as I said, the author does their homework and aside from having an unusual number of sleezballs, there's a degree of realism to the story. The game however leads up to the city in the clouds but does not spend enough time there or a meaningful-enough time there to make the lead-up in the story worth it.

mechanics: interesting but sometimes murky. The Choice-ofgames titles often use a mix of words and numbers to display stats. This is one of the first titles I've seen that uses words almost exclusively. The ranks and skills you have in various skills are displayed by often a rather langy term related to the stat in question, usually having a couple for high and low and average. Some of the stats they have for you are a bit strange though, like asking what your spirit animal is, with some rather bizarre choices. I've seen one use of this in the end of the game, but can't trace any others. Also, the game is almost 8 years old. Combined with my relative inaptitude with slang myself if it is obscure and such, sometimes I had trouble deciphering some of the word labels. However, I sort of liked the textual descriptors even so and thus I wouldn't say taking this route is a bad thing, though sthe game shows that one must be careful that you keep it understandable to your readers.

Railroading: A mix of the good and the bad on this subject. On my second playthrough, I took very different paths and found that the nature of several of the chapters in this short game change entirely or almost entirely based on your choices. I chose just to have a brief stop in one place and met someone which drastically changed much of the following game. Also, even some minor choices mattered as the color of a jacket I chose changed something later and something else I did and didn't take also changed the action. On the other hand, sometimes it will ask you questions about what you think or want to do, only to put a brief "why you can't do this" explanation and then shunt you back onto the tracks. This is particularly true when you are actually in the city. So this one is a mixed bag.

Romance: There are a few options, if you want to call what is offered, "romance." You have the opportunity to meet 3 people who are more quick and cheap sexual conquests if you pursue that. If you choose a certain set of choices in the beginning, you even don't really have a choice if you want to get involved with them, but they serve little narrative purpose and don't really add anything to the story. I have however, seen two of the options if you like women, and they are different from one another, with one being brainy and cute and the other being a sort of sexxy tomboy type. However, don't expect anything meaningful, ultimately rewarding unless you like cheap fan service or don't care that there isn't anything that grows from this.
Achievements: This game has none. Now that I have played it enough and seen that the game, while short, has actually a lot of variety, I'm more disappointed about that than I was before, the various personal reactions, methods of getting rescued or dying, and your future career when there are multiple endings actually would encourage replay of this title a bit more.

closing remarks: Actually, I'm moving this title above "for rent: haunted House" and "Choice of the Star Captain" as replay has made me like it more and even made me want to see what else I haven't yet done. However, I would be lying if I said this was a good game. The tone is often unpleasant and crass, there isn't enough time spent in the titular city, and what time there is is heavily locked compared to much of the rest of the story, making your journey rather unrewarding. If you do get the game though, you'll have a few good playthroughs of fun, but if you haven't bought the game, there are a lot of titles better than this, though it is not as bad as I first thought.

2020-04-24 14:37:22

Hello all,

Just thought I would tell you guys about the latest entry in the Choice of Games series "Mask of the Plague Doctor."

I this one you are in a small town in a fantasy setting where a plague called the waking death, which keeps people from sleeping is ravaging the town and it is up to you to deal witht he problem by either curing the town that is under quarantine or by destroying the town if it doesn't work.

You can take traditional, academic, or mystical methods to deal with it, and you'll also have to deal with political factions that want rebellion or you might have to deal with public panic and the like.

This is a nice long one at 410k words, and I'm admittedly a little torn about this one. With its length, I could see it might have been a project long in the works but it gels quite well with the typical global situation. I'm not sure whether to see that as a profit grab by Choiceofgames, a legitimate way to handle the situation in fiction, or something else.

I'll get to this game but at the rate I'm going, Carona will just be a bad memory by the time I get to it and maybe distance will give me a different perspective than those who play it now.

Anyway, not sure whether I should love or hate the closeness to real-world stuff going on here. Whether you guys play this game or not, want to hear your opinion on this concept.

2020-05-15 20:01:18

Hello all.

Some choice of games news and a bit of a backlog as I haven't been on here enough lately

First, there has been another  hosted game in the mix. Havenwood Crhonicles or something of that sort, Book II. This one is a continuation of your adventures as a detective who is working with an organization the polices magical beings, seemingly vampires in many ways as many of the members are vampires, and is a sequel to the first book in the series. I cannot say much personally to this one as I have not played the first title in this one.

Speaking of vampires, I have some Choice of Games pre-news for you. "Vampires: The Masquerade" is coming to  to Choiceofgames. There will be a release either this summer or fall, one next spring, and another book (they seem stand-alone) in the fall of 2021. If you like that sort of stuff. Keep your eyes open for that one. I'll tell you of the books when they are actually released anyway.

And for those of you who like fantasy, there is a fantasy sale on now for two titles.

First, "fool" where you play as a magic-using clever court jester in a fantasy kingdom is on sale. It's an old, and from what I've heard, reasonably popular title though it is only a year or two old and I'm still playing titles from 2012 right now in my workthrough of all the options.

But there's a new title as well. I've admittedly forgotten the title exactly but "The Squire's quest," "The Squire" or maybe "Squire's choice" has just gone live.

In this one, you play as a young squire who must venture and rescue the royal prince who has been kidnapped by the fairies.

Seems like something I'd like to try.
Fool and the squire game are on sale until May 21st.

Still working through "The Fleet" but perhaps I'll have it for you next week.

sorry for being so absent but I have had obligations that have kept me from playing the books as much as I'd like.

2020-05-15 21:22:21

The new Hosted Games release is Wayhaven Chronicles 2. If I remember correctly, the first Wayhaven Chronicles game was one of the favorite hosted games, acording to poles done on the 10-year anniversary of Choice of Games. I thought the first game is pretty good, and I'm working my way through the second.

2020-05-15 23:16:37

thanks, I have been lazy on getting the news out and I forgot the name exactly and deleted the notification e-mail shortly after I got it. But  yes. "Wayhaven Chronicles: Book 2" is the game I was thinking of.

2020-05-16 16:48:35

sorry for the double post and all, but just an update that the new game is called "A squire's Tale" for those who are searching directly and can't find it from my incorrect guesses above. but a message on my iPad told me.

2020-05-21 21:21:10

Hello all,

there are a couple new games to play on hosted games I want to tell you about.

The first of these is AI Aftermath. In this one you play asa  powerful psychic in search of your lover who is destined to fight off mealevolent AIs that threaten to destroy the world. In addition, this game seems like it has a lot of cool weird as it also involves a fairy creature and some other stuff you normally see more often in fantasy things if the description is anything to go by as reincarnation also seems to be part of it.

This one's free with ads if you don't want to pay for it and paying to get rid of them is less for the next week.

We also have "into darkness" where you travel from Victorian England deep into Africa on a race to obtain a hidden mystical gem.  and it seems somewhat based on both "heart of darkness" and some of the ledritch horror that was being written at the same time as the first title I mentioned.

In this one, there doesn't seem to be any romance and in this one you have to identify as one of the two bianary genders.

Unlike a lot of titles, this one actually has some ilustrations in the story, but that probably won't be a big deal for gameplay, though let me know if I'm wrong as I am not going to be playing this one for quite some time.

just thought I would let you guys know.

2020-06-02 23:05:48

Bookrage's review of "The Fleet"

Hello all.

I realize that I have not given you guys a review in quite some time. Her though is my review of a game I just completed after many delays.

biases: I like games that make you think, and this one makes you do that a lot.

Genre: The fleet is a game where you manage a fleet of space ships and you must fight back against the alien race that has taken your home planet. It has a strong tone of resource management and there is a lot of that in the game. The political stuff it mentions like growing your land into various types of governments didn't really seem to come into play. Either that is misleading or the fact that I was pretty strongly leaning towards a multi-world, multi-species coalition kept me from doing that but from what I saw, the focus they put on that in the little introduction to it is misleading.

writing: In some ways, "The Fleet" is a weakly written story and few of the characters really came alive to me. There wasn't enough going on and most characters say a few things, sometimes out of the blue with little wind-up or logical reason that I could parse out, and the Alien Diplomat, your leutennant, another member of your race's diplomatic corps, and the aliens are largely cardboard cut-outs. They often say things like "Leutennant Damian looks at you sadly," or "Leutenant Damian says "I will always respect you."" but these characters do not act like human beings and they are more devices for giving you decisions to make.

Part of this possibly comes from the fact your race is not assumed in this world and they want you to possibly, if you wish, imagine yourself as some sort of alien, as there is nothing in the game that says you need to be human.

What fails in intracharacter interactions in this  game really succeeds in the space battles and resource management things. The game is written in such a way that you really have to think about the choices you make in order to win battles, not only in regard to each armed conflict you go through, but also preparing for upcoming problems as you can greatly deplete your resources if you make bad choices. The battles are quick and clipped, but it gives you the feel of split-second decisions  that you have to make as the commander. Also the choices it gives you in battle are dynamic and not just "send your fighters in' or "shoot the cannons" so it sounds like you are ordering clever maneuvers.

mechanics: this game thrives on mechanics, especially in the space ship combat section. The combat-related stats such as "cannon coverage" "Pilot skills" and energy reserves come up constantly and are key to playing the game. The political side mirrors the poor political writing. The meanings of the political stats like military support, integrity, and deception, are easy to understand buy far more difficult to practice in the political parts of the game. This game wins on the combat side but is a decided loser in regards to the political side. It is often difficult to understand or navigate poltical parts of the game in sensical ways and you'll be unpleasantly surprised by the actions of the NPCs no matter how carefully you try to manage your moves in this regard due to murkiness.

Romance: None. This game does not have romantic interests, and I'm not even sure it asks your gender at any time, sticking very carefully to gender-neutral language and using the 2nd-person as much as possible.

Railroading: Having only played this game once so far, I can't say how much railroading it has in terms of a branching story, but it seems that there must be some. I did not go anti-alliance and I imagine, as the alliance backed me up so much, that the story would have been quite different had I taken another route. Also, my mining resources never came into play in the game. This makes me believe there is some branching area where they do. Also, as this game has heavy resource management aspects that really matter, your decisions really matter. Also the game is good at keeping your decisions meaning a lot even beyond their immediate aftermath. I destroyed an enemy city, which I thought was an enormous victory, only to have it become a diplomatic disaster later. Your choices definitely matter in this game, and you often really have to consider your actions.

achievements: none: That's a real shame too, with a game with such options for choices you could make, such a focus on stats, which could also give you cool achievements, and many options to really change gameplay and your behavior, this game could've really benefitted from them.

closing remarks: "The Fleet" Is the best space game on Choiceofgames I have played to date. As a game of politics, it fails miserably as characters are thin and boring, and also behave in ways that are very confusing. However, if you check my list it is relatively high up there. That is because the game really brings the split-second decisions you'd need to make in a sci-fi space-ship battle to life and it succeeds in this area far more than it fails as a game with political intrigues. If you want a good sci-fi action game, this one is tough to beat. It also blows "choice of the Star Captain" out of the water, which is vastly inferior to it both in action, characterization, and interest. Even though Star Captain was supposed to be funny, it is nothing to compare to this one. The Fleet is definitely a game for the thinking gamebook player, esepcially if resource management, but smart resource management rather than grindy, is your thing. The good parts of this game with the sci-fi action far outweigh its character flaws and political intrigue flops, even though these are significant.

2020-06-04 17:59:28

Hello all,

some hosted games news for you guys. There is a new title out today called "War For Mgincia." This game is the prequel to the "Great Tournament" games as well as "Swamp castle." The game is mostly  a medieval fantasy  kingdom simulator in which you fight off barbarians and use diplomacy, cunning, or brute force to win against other factions.

This game has multiple difficulty settings, lots of achievements, and unlockable modes of play, at least according to the game advertisement.

I am not sure how "The great tournament" or "Swamp castle" are, but this is another entry in their line-up for anyone who wants to give it a try. The game even bosts randomly generated stuff, but I'll believe that when I see it.

2020-06-04 23:56:13

this one i want to try out.
will update when i've given it a look.

2020-06-05 00:40:41

you mean "The fleet" or the new title for hosted games?

2020-06-05 16:13:51

the new hoasted games one.

2020-06-05 18:17:44

also, bit of a preview guys. The next one I'm doing is "choice of kung fu" and I've heard good things about it from you guys. I've just gotten started but am eager to see where it goes.

2020-06-05 21:35:18

i haven't played it a while, but when i did, it was good.

2020-06-05 21:38:02

question about Choice of Kung Fu. I found answering things a little differently changes the gender of a character. Wondering what things you answer in the first chapter that make it so your love interests are female. I have one that has made some of the monks female, but haven't found out exactly whether I have accidentally said I was bisexual, whether the game has set NPCs and you just romance the ones you like, or what. Just not entirely sure.

2020-06-05 22:12:56

They were always male when I played, gone through fully like 5 times now, so it has to have been something...

2020-06-06 14:31:43

I got one of the monks female and the way I did it was when you battle the thieves at the beginning and it says some of them are women. I basically did the response that said that I wasn't surprised at it and didn't see a problem with it and it turned one of my rivals into a female character. because it said the monastery has a similar outlook and trains both men and women.

2020-06-12 02:53:01

Hello all,

Just letting you know that Choice of games has another title for us to play this one is called "lightyears apart"

You were a super-spy in a college for that sort of thing in a future campy sci-fi setting when you refused to kill on a mission and were sent out. Now you travel the world in a single ship with your computer raising you when your hacker sister shows up as the world now needs your help to stop a super-AI from conquering the universe. You team up with old spies, space pirates, get drunk, and all sorts of stuff.

This one seems like a pretty normal  one with major humor elements seems to be a thing with this one.

Not sure how it will be and I'll probably forget it exists by the time I get to it, but thought I would share it with you.

2020-06-18 22:24:16

Hello all,

more news from Choiceofgames. there is finally part two of War of the gods and you can play that one now as one of three classes trying to defeat the god of death and attain godhood.

It seems pretty standard fantasy stuff but not sure since I hadn't played the previous one.

Also, for those of you who want to celebrate pride month or simply want some games for cheap. They have released a pride bundle with several games that are supposed to have queer themes represented well in them

here is what it contains.

Heroes Rise: The Prodigy
SLAMMED!
Hollywood Visionary
The Sea Eternal
The Eagle's Heir
Heart of the House
Drag Star
An Odyssey: Echoes of War

I'm not sure of most of those, but I have played, Hero's rise: The prodigy and it is pretty good. I've also played part of sea eternal, and didn't like it very much but I think that might have been my error rather than the game's.  In that one you play a mermaid/merman and the game has a lot of tricky political and relationship things that were hard for me to manage, I believe though that was more due to me.

2020-07-09 22:01:03

Hello all,

Just wanted to let you guys know that there is a new Choiceofgames title out now. This one is "The 180 files: The aegis project."

It's a 007-style superspy game where you play as a spy with a dark past who is going undercover to stop an evil organization, while trying to outrun your past and fight for justice, or strike bargains for your own benefit.

This thing sounds very much like the 007 movies with glamour, gadgets, and lots of intrigue. and of course, all the typical diversity options that are in almost every choiceofgames title are present.

just wanted to let you guys know. I also should hopefully be finishing "Choice of Kung Fu" in a short time and I'll have a review on it.

2020-07-17 18:41:54

Bookrage's review of "Choice of Kung Fu"

Hello all,

I've had other things in my way so I haven't been able to put down my review of this game but now that I have finally completed it, I can give you my long overdue review.

Genre: This is a game where you shouldn't judge the game by its title, with the name "choice of Kung Fu" it sounds like it is just some beat-em up fighting story. The game description however is very accurate and explains quite accurately the various things you can do in the story such as fight a demon, deal with the foreigners, train in Kung fu, start your own school, and try to earn the right to ask a deep question to the dragon sage, the main mcguffin for the entire story. If you read the whole description and list of cool things, you won't be misled by the story's contents.

writing: the writing in this story is good and solid and really provides a backdrop that makes this game a rarity among the choiceofgames titles. It is not simply a fantasy/historical story that has been transplanted to an Asian setting, but actually works under different rules in the terms of the society and characters as you interact with them. I found while playing that me trying to behave as I thought I should actually offended many of the characters I was dealing with. This was my error, not the game's. Though I'm not a Christian, I was raised in the middle-class, WASP sort of background and though I no longer believe, I tend to extoll many virtues stressed by Christianity. In the East-Asian, Budhist backdrop with their set of values, things like evincing sympathy and pity and even degrees of mercy could be seen as offensive.

For the most part though, the game is decipherable without any research or anything, and once you get it in your head that you aren't in the western European tradition, it is pretty easy to eliminate the "wrong" choices, of which along with things that are dictated by your stats, are sprinkled throughout the game as things that are almost certainly things you should not do.

The characters that I met have a lot of personality and atmosphere, I particularly found Feng quite charming, and abbot Bao was a nice old man too. They really add to the story and are far from just information dumps or things to bounce your actions off of.

There are definite moments of action, such as the battle for the monastery, a battle with a demon, and a challenge from the arch-villain of the story. but there are moments of calm and calculation that evince a feeling of contemplation and are a nice compliment to these actions too such as playing Goh with a ghost, learning poetry, and smoozing it up at a festival as well as making meaningful ethical choices.

One thing I particularly liked about this title was how the European-style enemies were depicted. We in the western world tend to think of our history and culture as normative. This story does a good job of making the Europeans seem strange and odd to the reader, playing the part of the Chinese monk and gives the reader an interesting perspective on their assumptions.

mechanics: This game is pretty good with mechanics, having stats like combat, magic, enlightenment, honor, status, and a list of relationships with important NPCs. A few things like endurance and Enlightenment are a bit tough to manage, but if you play carefully and just make smart choices, you'll be fine. There are 2 or 3 stats though that are Chinese words that I cannot translate, and I never learned what they meant. Even so, These words help in emersion in the setting and I'm going to call them a plus rather than a minus because they are meant to get you in a different cultural mindset than normal.

Romance: As far as I can tell, there are at least two romantic interests in the story, your Rival and Feng. There are probably others but I would need to take some other paths probably to see them. This is one area where the game is lacking.  at least in the road I took (Feng) where my relationship was high, she asked me who I loved, I said her, and she got frisky. Other than that nothing really interesting came from it, but the romantic angle wasn't a big deal for me in this story because of everything else.

railroading: It seems that chapters in this game are pretty set in stone, but there is a lot of choices you can make. When you go for training in the mountains, you won't get to do all the challenges in there on one playthrough. Likewise you can choose or not choose to become the heir of a kung fu master. There are also a lot of challenges at the end of the game where you get to make some big choices and there are tons of places in the game where you make choices that change major aspects of things going forward. The game has set events you will have to deal with, but large numbers of events with many ways to approach them. I am eager to replay the game and try other options.

achievements: after a long drout in games I've been playing, this one really delivers, with challenges related to almost every part of the game, such as the challenges to become a monk, the training exercises of the hermit, successfully navigating Feng's tricks, and defeating every major event in the story as well as achieving the ultimate goal of the whole thing. I got a bunch of them on my first playthrough, but I'm eager to go back and try to earn the others, including a few hidden ones.

Closing remarks: This is one of the best games I have ever played and the good things I had heard about it were understatements. With solid writing, a strong setting, a knowledge of when to make mechanics murky when they actually should be, a wealth of options for dealing with every challenge, and a generous mess of achievements, this is one you definitely ought to buy, It might even unseat Diabolical as my favorite. It only lacks in the romance department and although I sometimes like that in games, it's lackluster performance with what it does offer doesn't concern me. This is one of, if not the best title I have played to date and nobody will be a loser in buying this one.

2020-07-17 19:13:44

hello all,

sorry but just got some more choiceofgames news for you all. "President Disaster" has just hit Hosted games. It's a short humorous novel where you are suddenly changed from intern to President Disaster's next chief of staff. You have to get people to election day and save the country, and the world from the worst candidate possible. You have to wrangle the press, the family, and make different diplomatic decisions to get through the couple of months up until election.

I've been seeing this in some of the hosted games titles, but it seems there is some degree of randomization to this one as there has been for a couple of previous ones. If anyone tries that one out, let me know all about it so I know what to expect in 2042 when I finally start hosted games.

I'll keep you posted.

2020-07-17 21:03:58 (edited by defender 2020-07-17 21:07:28)

Awesome I knew you would like Choice of Kung Fu!
Definitely agreed it's one of the best they have and certainly the best free title available.
By the way if you refuse to go to the festival, Feng will give you several other alternatives, though you can't go back and pick a different one if you change your mind.  One of those is courting a merchant's daughter, though I've never done it so can't say more.

Choice of broadsides isn't on the same level but it's pretty good too if you get a chance, and not very long either.

2020-07-18 03:07:04

I've played choice of broadsides and it is one of my favorites. I have a review on it earlier in the forum as I think it is the second thing I reviewed.  It was second on the list for me for a long time and I think it has only fallen to third and that is because Choice of Kung Fu rocks.

I particularly like the ship management chapter in choice of Broadsides.