2019-12-10 19:19:12

dark wrote:

Btw, I had a random thought, at the moment the traps are just "you encounter a trap, you take x damage"
It'd be cool both if the traps were explained for atmosphere, EG pit of sharp spikes, gas trap, darts firing out of wall etc, but also it might be cool if the traps did other things than just damage you. For example, maybe you could be teleported back a scene or so, or maybe the traps could  sound an alarm, increasing monster encounter rates for the next few turns.
traps like quick sand or turning wall traps could knock you back a scene, or perhaps if you fall into a none spiked pit trap, you need to take time getting out which costs you food.

This is part of the 'Flavor Update', I've added a few different types of traps that do some different things, and the description of them is varied. I like your alarm idea, I'll see about putting that in there.

dark wrote:

Lastly, I was thinking about heirloom gear. At the moment, gear you find is always better than heirloom gear, however you have to keep the heirloom gear around in case you encounter something good.
It'd be fun if you could occasionally find magic chalk or rune carving tools the like and be able to enchant your heirloom gear, but with the drawback that the enchantment would fade after a while and couldn't be repeated until the gear leveled up.

The purpose of heirloom gear is to get you started, it's meant to be replaced and sold off as soon as you find something else. It levels with you so that you can keep it around as long as you need it. Without it, when you start at an advanced scene, you'll die very quickly even with a bunch of prestige bonuses. I'm working on some new enchantments, possibly theme-specific ones, the enchanting your own gear idea will probably be a class skill when I get to the class implementation.

2019-12-10 20:19:29

What I've been doing so far is switching to heirloom gear when it's currently higher level than the stuff I have, EG if I am on level 11 and find a level 11 helm with a luck bonus, I switch out of  the level 11 heirloom helm, but switch back to it at level 12 when it has a higher bonus than the helm of luck, since generally I always want the armour bonus over the enchantment, though a  good case could be made that a lower level piece of armour with an earth bonus or a weapon with a fire bonus would be a better bet than higher level vanilla heirloom gear, since earth and fire simply increase defence and attack directly.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-12-11 00:48:23 (edited by malachi1616 2019-12-11 04:55:34)

Dark wrote:

What I've been doing so far is switching to heirloom gear when it's currently higher level than the stuff I have, EG if I am on level 11 and find a level 11 helm with a luck bonus, I switch out of  the level 11 heirloom helm, but switch back to it at level 12 when it has a higher bonus than the helm of luck, since generally I always want the armour bonus over the enchantment, though a  good case could be made that a lower level piece of armour with an earth bonus or a weapon with a fire bonus would be a better bet than higher level vanilla heirloom gear, since earth and fire simply increase defence and attack directly.

I'm sure you could do a mathematical breakdown of both, in the next update elemental bonuses are getting switched around a bit, so its possible higher level heirloom gear will be objectively better in some cases. But they were always meant to be sold off as soon as you get something else. Also, adding new enchantments so things wont be so cut and dry.

Looks like I'm just about done with this next update. Going to take tomorrow and go through it one more time before releasing it, hope you guys like it. I added a bunch of stuff.

2019-12-11 10:46:32

I'll be looking forward to it, and to seeing what elemental changes happen, since yes with Earth and fire particularly, it'd be interesting to see them do something else than just add to attack and block as a direct multiplyer.

As for heirloom gear, I do get the idea is to give you a good start, though as heirloom gear levels with you it's often a good way of maintaining bonuses when you yourself level up, since there's no point getting stuck with that level eleven helm of luck when your around level 13 or so, and since pack size is going up it's handy to switch things around.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-12-11 17:17:35

I'm way more addicted to this game than I should be. I'm still not exactly sure what the point of heirloom gear is, but... Other than that, I am loving this game.

Much less active on this forum than in the past.

Check out my live streams: http://lerven.me
follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/liamerven

2019-12-11 18:34:22

Hello folks, Liam, it is a backup for when you prestige and start the game again. If you find a piece, it doesn't matter if you sell it or keep it, when restarting the game after eating a pie, you'll load those in your starting pack to help you untill you find something better.
Best regards, Haramir.

The true blind is the one who refuses to see.

2019-12-11 18:45:57

@Liam, heirloom gear is as Haramir said, a legup to start the game, and some default gear upon levelling.
the way it works, is when you get an heirloom item, when you start you'll have an item in the same slot so don't have to start naked and pick up up everything piece by piece.

Also, the higher level you pick up the heirloom gear at, the higher level your heirloom gear will be when it levels up with you.

For example, if you pick up an heirloom helmet at level 7, next time you start the game you will have a helmet that will start with you, and everytime you put it on it will adjust itself  your level up to level 7.

If later you pick up a level 9 heirloom helmet, your default helm  increase its level with you up to level 9.

2019-12-12 01:47:28 (edited by malachi1616 2019-12-12 03:04:15)

Flavor Update 2019

Huge update everyone! Expect bugs lol (sorry, Im just one guy, I can only test so much).

I've set up a wiki for the game to serve as an encyclopedia, you can find that HERE. It is by no means complete, it's a work in progress. Also, I haven't tried using this particular wiki platform on a screen reader. I apologize if it is clunky or non-optimal. If you have another suggestion for it, let me know!

For a list of things that were added or changed, there is a page for updates which you can find HERE

Some things have moved around. The reload event log button might be in a different order if you are cycling through graphics with the g key. And you'll also find a new one that will link you to the wiki.

So the big ticket updates are, a new zone: the pyramid, a handful of new items, including zone-specific items, new enchantments for gear that are zone specific, and a ton of text updates to the events, more immersive narration and a bunch of extra options for the game engine to choose when it presents content.

Again, check the wiki for a full list. If that wiki is unreadable for you all, let me know I'll post up an itemized list here or come up with something else.

EDIT: already fixed a few bugs, if you ran into issues trying to prestige since I put this up, you'll have to refresh and start again, sorry hmm

2019-12-12 06:02:30

You drink a potion and it heals 0 damage. You are now at 110 health. I had 106.

2019-12-12 08:40:54

Liam wrote:

You drink a potion and it heals 0 damage. You are now at 110 health. I had 106.

So the potion is working just not reading out correctly?

2019-12-12 11:00:54

yep. it's not displaying the correct numbers. Also. it seems the merchant's prices aren't reading either.

2019-12-12 11:19:56

hi.

Definitely liking the update, especially the beefed up descriptions, extra interesting items to find  and farer difficulty curve. I just played a game on medium and things were getting tough around scene 180 or so, but not ridiculously , I will try a game on hard next.

I can confirm the same "potion heals zero damage" bug Liam mentioned, it seems to be whenever you heal the last part of your health, also the merchant's prices aren't displaying either which is a miner pest.
Bonus energy prestieging is also still not saving either no matter how much vitali tea I drink, which is mildly disappointing now that there are fatigue based traps.

I encountered two typos a "champion the queen" I fought in a pyramid, who was male, and a "You have entered the the king's tomb" In a pyramid.

I also wonder where the reload event log button has gone? Though with the action buttons at the top of the log reading off the first line or two isn't too hard.

Other than that though, this update is awesome! Thanks for adding in so many of the feature requests, EG gear switching and the like.

2019-12-12 13:22:58

I believe the button is at the very bottom

2019-12-12 20:16:49 (edited by malachi1616 2019-12-12 20:56:10)

Fixed the potion bug, as previously stated, potions were working just the message was wrong. Fixed the merchant buttons. The text on the button was displaying the cost, but the aria-label tag didn't have the cost in it, so the screen reader didn't know.

I fixed Vitali-Tea. Not sure how this slipped by for so long, this apparently has never worked. For the next week, I'm going to put a cheaper version of Vitali-Tea in every Merchant Inventory up until you get 10 of them. Normal Vitali-Tea will still be available at regular price also.

The Reload Event Log button is the last 'graphic'. I forgot the aria tag, so it was reading as something like 'shift plus alt plus less graphic' in NVDA. Fixed that label so it now says 'Reload Event Log, newest first'. Also access key < for that. Eventually there will be a > that reads oldest first instead.

2019-12-12 22:34:05

You read the the lengthy ballad and are inspired. You will gain 30% more experience for the next 9 sources. Extra the there.

2019-12-12 22:52:46 (edited by malachi1616 2019-12-12 22:53:43)

Liam wrote:

You read the the lengthy ballad and are inspired. You will gain 30% more experience for the next 9 sources. Extra the there.

Good catch, thanks. Fixed. Oddly enough, when I read your post just now, I still didn't notice the extra 'the' hah.

2019-12-13 02:41:47

Hello

First, thank you and congrat for creating and improving this game. The gameplay is rather intuitive and easy to take in hands. The update is verry interesting.

Here are some bugs :
  When I eat a magic berry, the iteme stay in my backpack and I can endlessly nibble on it.

When I am in the gear menu, the "equip" option is still displayed for itemes I've previously equiped. But when I perform the action it  unequips it like it should. This happened until now with an air mail, a rock charm and a dagger of fire.

2019-12-13 03:03:29 (edited by malachi1616 2019-12-13 03:06:16)

Tony78 wrote:

Hello

First, thank you and congrat for creating and improving this game. The gameplay is rather intuitive and easy to take in hands. The update is verry interesting.

Here are some bugs :
  When I eat a magic berry, the iteme stay in my backpack and I can endlessly nibble on it.

When I am in the gear menu, the "equip" option is still displayed for itemes I've previously equiped. But when I perform the action it  unequips it like it should. This happened until now with an air mail, a rock charm and a dagger of fire.

Thanks for bringing these to my attention. I fixed the berry in the dev version, I'll upload it when I fix the other issue. So whats happening here is the same issue with the shop items not displaying the price. The button actually has the right text on it, but the aria tag isn't getting updated for some reason. I will fix it asap.

EDIT: Fixed, thanks again to everyone for reporting these bugs.

2019-12-13 08:50:02

Really liking this game so far, especially after the update. I did notice 2 bugs, though. First, when I dismiss the merchant, the shop page doesn't disappear until I move to pack or gear and then back to events. Second, sometimes gear items don't show a level when I look at them in the pack or gear pages. For gear I have equipped, I can usually see the level if I unequip it first. Has anyone else noticed either of these?

2019-12-13 12:58:22

Okay I'm liking the changes, but one miner problem I'm having is that I don't seem to get warnings about low energy, so keep losing gems, especially when being poisoned or cursed.

Apart from that I'm loving all the new gear though there might  a miner bug with the chaos gear:

infinicrawl wrote:

Level 12 Discord Vambraces is armor. It protects your arms by adding 13 armor.
This has a Chaos enchantment, causing your enemies to become confused. Enemies struck with this weapon will have a 0 chance to miss their attack.

I Also noticed this on a couple of other chaos pieces I picked up too.

2019-12-13 13:32:52

Dark wrote:

Okay I'm liking the changes, but one miner problem I'm having is that I don't seem to get warnings about low energy, so keep losing gems, especially when being poisoned or cursed.

Apart from that I'm loving all the new gear though there might  a miner bug with the chaos gear:

infinicrawl wrote:

Level 12 Discord Vambraces is armor. It protects your arms by adding 13 armor.
This has a Chaos enchantment, causing your enemies to become confused. Enemies struck with this weapon will have a 0 chance to miss their attack.

I Also noticed this on a couple of other chaos pieces I picked up too.

I love the game and the energy prestige is working well. I've also seen that on the chaos enchanted gear. I also keep getting the message that 0 food has spoiled. That's accurate from what I can tell, but I don't understand why I'm getting it. Also, I somehow got myself into a weird situation a few minutes ago. I was ready to prestige so I summoned a merchant and bought and ate a few more prestige foods. Then I ate a humble pie to reset without dismissing the merchant. When I clicked easy to start a new game, I was able to go to the pack page and equip my heirloom gear, but when I tried to go back to events, the page was still called shop and there was still a dismiss merchant button that does nothing. @malachi1616, I'm including a link to a screenshot for you since I know you can see. Hopefully it came out right.
Screenshot on OneDrive

2019-12-14 01:12:07 (edited by malachi1616 2019-12-14 02:01:42)

Ok, fixed the chaos gear showing 0. The gear was working as intended, but the message was showing what the total chance to miss from chaos gear was. So if you looked at it before equipping it, you would see 0, because you currently are not dealing any chaos damage. I changed the message to show what each individual piece contributes to that. You can see your total by inspecting your damage trait.

LivingForGod1991 wrote:

sometimes gear items don't show a level when I look at them in the pack or gear pages. For gear I have equipped, I can usually see the level if I unequip it first. Has anyone else noticed either of these?

I fixed that, this was another aria-label mismatch issue. Hopefully, the last one, but I'm still new to aria.

dark wrote:

I don't seem to get warnings about low energy, so keep losing gems, especially when being poisoned or cursed.

In the last update I changed the alert system to add critical alerts to a separate box with an aria-live attribute set to assertive instead of polite. I hoped that it would read over whatever else you were doing. I guess it doesn't. I'll move them back to an alert box until I figure something else out.

LivingForGod1991 wrote:

I also keep getting the message that 0 food has spoiled. That's accurate from what I can tell, but I don't understand why I'm getting it.

Fixed that, you should only get the message now when food actually spoils.

Working on the issue with the shop not going away, and the shop still existing after a prestige. These are weird bugs. Oddly enough, people using screen readers have better "visibility" (for lack of a better word) of this issue, because on my screen, it actually appears below everything and I never noticed I had to scroll down to see it. So it never came up in testing for me.

EDIT: Ok, sorta fixed the shop issue. I'm not sure why its happening, some CSS quirk maybe. I put in a javascript fail-safe so that it shouldn't happen anymore, though. I also couldn't duplicate the issue where the shop persists when you prestige in shop mode. I put in some code to dismiss the merchant right before the humble pie does its thing, so hopefully it doesn't happen for you anymore.

2019-12-15 17:58:15

Okay, if people will forgive me a winge, that is the fifth game I've been one shotted from full health !

I was on scene 202, level 16, had just killed one boss, and was using an uba trank on the next boss.
Since I got the effect where I was doing less damage over all, it took a lot of slaying, and I only got as far as I did because of strategic use of items like uba tranks, baked potatoes and incense, which is fair enough (Rpgs aren't supposed to be easy after all). Indeed, I like the fact that I was having to use the merchant to buy those sorts of items in order to progress.

However, once again I seem to be in a bind where I need 1200 gems to prestige, but always get to a point where I get one shotted by a boss from over 200 hp.

Indeed, this time I was the  furthest I've been since the upgrades, and the only reason I can't repost the event log is that it no longer seems to keep post death events when you restart the game.

I don't mind difficulty, but I'm afraid the gems mechanic vs difficulty at high levels seems to get a bit impossible, indeed I would've prestieged around scene 190 or so if I had had the gems to do it.

I would really suggest making prestige gem cost a bit fairer, so that players can work up to difficulty through many runs trimps style, rather than forcing players to run on until they get one shotted to death, either that or remove the gem requirement altogether and just have gems provide straight off bonus xp, that way players could have short runs earning gold and items, or long runs earning gems.

Okay, winj over big_smile.

2019-12-15 22:38:25

dark wrote:

I don't mind difficulty, but I'm afraid the gems mechanic vs difficulty at high levels seems to get a bit impossible, indeed I would've prestieged around scene 190 or so if I had had the gems to do it.

I think youre right, I'll double check the gem cost math. Also the next update will include an infinite achievement system that has a straight % increase to health and damage with each acheivement.

2019-12-15 23:02:12

That would be good, since being one shotted from 245 health down to zero is annoying. I wouldn't have minded if it was my own fault for not bailing out and eating humble pie earlier on when things got tough, but the fact that  was physically not able to presteige at that point was mildly frustrating, particularly since the missing out of earlier scenes is actively detrimental at that stage, and of course dying with no presteige means no progression next time.

Progressive achievements would also be good in  own right.
I'd particularly like to see a bestiary achievement which lets you review what creatures you've discovered where, especially since I was still running into new monsters past scene 190, which was nice.

Oh and btw, I like all the new weapons and the descriptions (especially the Tonfas and Wagasashi which remind me of Ruroni Kenshin), and the fact that they come with individual damage descriptions.
Any plans to have weapon types actually have a baring on your character? or is this waiting for the classes update, EG giving some  some advantages with given weapon types.