2019-12-01 23:21:14

brad wrote:

Hi.


i'm using Firefox with NVDA.


I'll stop playing the game for now, I liked it for a while but then got bored.


That's just me and I know there's tuns of others who enjoy games like this , so keep making great work! smile

Thanks for the encouraging words, hope you return to the game at some point. I'm adding new stuff every day.


To address the inventory issues, I've made inventory size a function of prestige. The backpack size is set at 7 to begin with but eating Macho Nachos from the merchant will increase this by 1 each time. So essentially, your inventory size can be increased indefinitely. This probably will make it very unwieldy if you have a ton of stuff, so combat that, I've added a drop all button (accesskey x) when in explore mode and a sell all button (accesskey c) when in shop mode. These will prompt you to ask if you are sure before doing it, the log will show how many items were dropped or sold and how much money you sold them for.

I still like dark's idea about having a list of things on the floor, so you can drop things and choose what to pick up. That's going to be a pain to implement so I'm working incrementally toward that as an end goal for inventory management.

Thumbs up

2019-12-02 00:51:16

So I think nickles are just straight up broken at the moment. Went through three whole maps without finding a single one.

Thumbs up

2019-12-02 00:53:34 (edited by malachi1616 2019-12-02 01:58:29)

stirlock wrote:

So I think nickles are just straight up broken at the moment. Went through three whole maps without finding a single one.

I think its due to all items having an equal chance to spawn. I'll have to come up with some way to weight them.

EDIT: Fixed this. Well, actually, changed the way wooden nickles are given out. The only ways to get them now are from the Deck of Fate and from boss drops. But, a boss will always drop one if you don't have one. So plan on doing your shopping after each boss fight.

Also, I significantly increased the strength and health of enemies after your 50th scene on the same prestige. So without prestiging, things will get very very tough eventually. The tougher you are, the longer you can stay on the same prestige, but eventually you'll have to bow out with a Humble Pie. The health and strength ramp up starts slowly but jumps up significantly every 50 scenes.

Thumbs up

2019-12-02 02:35:44

Hi.


I decided to play the game again and think it's broken.


I fight and it says I deal NaN damage and get hit for NaN.


Are you 100% sure potions tell you how much health you've gained back, so somethign like 50 out of 20? The last time I used food and potions, nothing was read back to me.


And yes smile I'm aware that was a small amount of time not to play again, I guess you've hooked me smile


Would you ever consider adding sounds to the game?


As for viewing what an item does, I find out I've dropped an item, shift g to the inspect item graphic and press then then alt shift q, and find it then press enter.


If there are other, more quicker ways, I'd like to hear about them.


Maybe the first time you press enter on an item, you hear what it does? What do the others on here think of that?

If you like harry potter fan fiction, click on this link to download a zipped folder containing 9 point something gigs of harry potter fan fiction when unzipped. It's around 3.9 gigs zipped. https://tinyurl.com/vuefsu2

Thumbs up

2019-12-02 04:10:52 (edited by malachi1616 2019-12-02 04:13:47)

brad wrote:

Hi.
I decided to play the game again and think it's broken.

I fight and it says I deal NaN damage and get hit for NaN.

Are you 100% sure potions tell you how much health you've gained back, so somethign like 50 out of 20? The last time I used food and potions, nothing was read back to me.

And yes smile I'm aware that was a small amount of time not to play again, I guess you've hooked me smile

Would you ever consider adding sounds to the game?

As for viewing what an item does, I find out I've dropped an item, shift g to the inspect item graphic and press then then alt shift q, and find it then press enter.

If there are other, more quicker ways, I'd like to hear about them.

Maybe the first time you press enter on an item, you hear what it does? What do the others on here think of that?

The NaN is an issue that a few people have complained about. I fixed the first issue that was causing it. I think people may have saved their game during that bug and it corrupted their save cookie. If you paste your save here, I can try to fix it for you. The last person that it happened to their heirloom data was fine but their prestige data was all corrupted. I can look at the save and see what can be done.

The potions are definitely reading back for me. It sounds like you might have an old cached version of the game. Where are you playing it at? on itch.io or on my website? You might try doing a hard refresh (CTRL+F5 on most browsers). To force your browser to get the latest version.

Adding sounds outside of the screen reader's voice is something I plan to do. I have a unique challenge with this game when it comes to sounds. The original goal for this game was to have the whole game self contained in a single html file with no references to outside resources. Newer browsers allow you to embed binary files into the source code now, so I'm looking into doing that, but it's a new tech for me. I'm working on learning it though.

Ok, so the quickest/easiest way I have figured out how to get the item info is using access keys. shift+alt+q for pack, b to cycle through item buttons, then shift+alt+? for inspect, then enter to get info. It's a lot but its pretty easy once you get the hang of it. I've only been using NVDA and access keys since this thread started and I have it down pretty well now.

To drop items, shift+alt+q for pack and use g to cycle through the trash graphics, then enter on the item to drop it.

Having said all that, I'm totally open to changing how it works, I doubt my first idea in my first venture into screen readers is the best one.

EDIT: Oh I just thought, would it be good if cycling through the item buttons actually just read the description every time? While cycling through, if you didnt want to hear it or you already heard it or know what it does, you can just cut it off or skip to the next button.

Thumbs up +1

2019-12-02 04:30:43 (edited by brad 2019-12-02 04:33:34)

Hi.


I'd not mind if I pressed b and heard what things did but I think it's best to get quite afew oppinions on that because some may find it annoying.


I'm using this link https://malachi1616.itch.io/infinicrawl


I'll try deleting my cookies as i have no save data.


I think there should be a list of shortcuts on the screen, maybe as a dialog window with a close button?

Sounds would be awesome.


Edit: deleting cookies worked.

If you like harry potter fan fiction, click on this link to download a zipped folder containing 9 point something gigs of harry potter fan fiction when unzipped. It's around 3.9 gigs zipped. https://tinyurl.com/vuefsu2

Thumbs up

2019-12-02 05:24:58 (edited by brad 2019-12-02 06:30:29)

Hi.


Using shortcuts to inspect things deffinetly helps.


I died on level 3, I had no strong weapons and my armor was low.


This is actually really fun smile


Now if only Humble pie didn't cost so much smile

If you like harry potter fan fiction, click on this link to download a zipped folder containing 9 point something gigs of harry potter fan fiction when unzipped. It's around 3.9 gigs zipped. https://tinyurl.com/vuefsu2

Thumbs up

2019-12-02 05:55:22

How about making some sort of toggle in settings? I feel like that might be the best of both worlds? I dunno.

Thumbs up

2019-12-02 06:29:52

Hi.


A toggle sounds good or a keyboard shortcut

If you like harry potter fan fiction, click on this link to download a zipped folder containing 9 point something gigs of harry potter fan fiction when unzipped. It's around 3.9 gigs zipped. https://tinyurl.com/vuefsu2

Thumbs up

2019-12-02 06:39:08

Sorry, I meant a toggle for showing descriptions with the button labels.

Thumbs up

2019-12-02 17:21:49 (edited by deathtime 2019-12-02 17:23:07)

I think there is unbalance in the game.
My weapon deals 6 damage, and a dagger in offhand slot increases damage by 3. I have a Fire Bonus of 1. This increases my damage by 0.5. But my damage is being reduced by 15 from environmental factors.
And i'm on scene 91. As a result, i'm dealing 2.7 damage to monsters.
It's a bug, or May be i'm doing something wrong?

----------
I'm making trap beats.
My profile on beat stars:
https://www.beat stars.com/fealidbeats/feed

Thumbs up +1

2019-12-02 18:55:43 (edited by malachi1616 2019-12-02 21:02:01)

deathtime wrote:

I think there is unbalance in the game.
My weapon deals 6 damage, and a dagger in offhand slot increases damage by 3. I have a Fire Bonus of 1. This increases my damage by 0.5. But my damage is being reduced by 15 from environmental factors.
And i'm on scene 91. As a result, i'm dealing 2.7 damage to monsters.
It's a bug, or May be i'm doing something wrong?

That is a bug, it should be 15% reduction not a flat 15 damage reduction. I will fix it asap.

EDIT: Fixed. It was actually setting your damage to 15% of what it should be, instead of reducing it by 15%.

Thumbs up +1

2019-12-03 19:05:50

Hi,
I'm really liking the new update.
However, I've noticed a few things. There now seems to be two event logs. When switching to the gear tab, the event log is still on the page, so for new players, I think that could be a bit confusing because they might want to examine their gear.
Also, for the first time ever, I've been unable to open a chest. I'm level 3 with no skeleton keys, so that's quite interesting. Was this intentional? Also, at level 4, I keep on finding level 1 items on the ground when searching.
I'm starting to wonder if the best way to resolve the event log and gear issue, might be a help section which explains the layout, and also a settings section with some toggles, such as whether to display access keys or not, and also, another idea is to possibly put a toggle for the event log to be displayed in reverse, so that the last thing that happened is at the bottom, with the buttons below it. This should not be the default behaviour, however.

Thumbs up

2019-12-03 19:31:28 (edited by malachi1616 2019-12-03 20:25:31)

aaron wrote:

Hi,
I'm really liking the new update.
However, I've noticed a few things. There now seems to be two event logs. When switching to the gear tab, the event log is still on the page, so for new players, I think that could be a bit confusing because they might want to examine their gear.
Also, for the first time ever, I've been unable to open a chest. I'm level 3 with no skeleton keys, so that's quite interesting. Was this intentional? Also, at level 4, I keep on finding level 1 items on the ground when searching.
I'm starting to wonder if the best way to resolve the event log and gear issue, might be a help section which explains the layout, and also a settings section with some toggles, such as whether to display access keys or not, and also, another idea is to possibly put a toggle for the event log to be displayed in reverse, so that the last thing that happened is at the bottom, with the buttons below it. This should not be the default behaviour, however.


There are two event logs yeah, one for screen readers and one for visual players. Both display the same information, but the screen reader one was necessary to get the read messages when the event tab was not selected. I'll hide the other one for screen readers so you can't cycle into it somehow.

I think level 3 is a bit early to be worrying about skeleton keys. They can spawn starting at scene 1, but, the primary purpose for them is to get heirloom gear which is more of a mid game sort of function. I wouldn't be too worried if you don't get them early on. But it's basically just down to luck. One issue that I'm trying to combat is that the more items I add, the less each item spawns. I've built in a weighting system into my dev version and testing it out now, but skeleton keys are a tough one because there needs to be a delicate balance between too many or too few. I might just make them a vendor only item or something.

The level of items when searching is random, but based on your level. You can find items in a range from your level down to 5 levels below. Again, its just down to luck.

Help and settings sections are definitely on the list for planned updates. Just a matter of adding them to the layout somewhere that makes sense for both visual players and screen reader players.

I like your idea about a setting to reverse the event log. I went back and forth when designing the game about which order to display events, I landed on the reverse order so that I didn't have to scroll to the bottom to see events.

Thumbs up +1

2019-12-03 19:42:07

Thanks for the quick reply.
My thoughts now that I've finished my latest playthrough:
Wow, this is tougher. This actually is starting to feel like more of an rpg, because you're now facing tougher enemies much quicker and you have to use your potions as a result. These are feeling like boss battles now!

Thumbs up +1

2019-12-04 10:04:26 (edited by Dark 2019-12-04 18:52:17)

I have to agree with Aaron, I'm liking the new changes, particularly the way things get tougher at higher scenes, indeed I might go back and do a run on medium.

Also, thanks for the firebomb fix, they actually came in handy this time, especially with the super bosses, indeed I'll be interested to see more strategic items in the game later.
Two things I do notice which are a little odd, is firstly though I've prestieged six times, my energy bonus is still at zero. Have I just  not encountered the right items yet?
Also, all my heirlooms have relatively higher bonuses except for relic, indeed I don't think I've run across any heirloom relics, though this might just be the whims of the god of random numbers of course.

The sell all button with  merchant is a nice idea, however usually I don't get to use it because I'm keeping a skeleton key and sometimes a wooden knickle in reserve.
Any chance of having a "sell all armour/weapons" button instead? Since it's those I usually sell off.

The labyrinth is wonderfully nasty and confusing, though just to be evil, when you go back a scene, you shouldn't be able to search for items until you get to a new scene being as you've likely lost your way and are retreading old ground.

It'd also be nice to play with gold mods a bit, indeed I notice that on  I need to wai a bit to buy the higher level bonus items.
It'd be cool  to have gold mods part of the environment, EG perhaps some  places have more or less gold than others.

It also might be cool eventually to have random traders turn up at intervals, (perhaps after each boss battle), different from the knickle merchant, who would   sell something at a random price, sometimes a steel, sometimes trying to radically rip you off.

Indeed I look forward to seeing more events and enemies in the game (I was very amused at the clockwork bear big_smile.).

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

Thumbs up

2019-12-04 18:14:02

Hi,
I haven't been able to find a fire bomb yet on the ground. A merchant was selling one but was at a bit of a ridiculous price, hehe. So I just left it as is.

Thumbs up

2019-12-04 19:01:45

I believe that both higher scene numbers and tougher difficulties increase loot drop chances, and loot quality so it's entirely possible that you've just not run into enough firebombs yet.

ACtually, in general I've noticed recently that the prices for both humble pie and the prestige bonus items have gone  up, meaning that buying anything else from the merchant is rarely worth it.

Of course, I'm guessing that prestige bonus items increase in price proportionally according to either your progressiont hrough the game or how many you've previously consumed, though I must admit I did find the merchant's much more interesting when I could actually afford to buy the prestige bonus item and perhaps have a look at their armour and weapons, rather than when I'd just  have to keep saving up all my gold for the next dandy candy or whatever.

This is another reason why playing with trade and gold usage might be interesting in the future, indeed random item traders like the ones in the wastes might be sort of cool, especially when we have more items and more types of items to play with.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

Thumbs up

2019-12-04 20:30:54 (edited by malachi1616 2019-12-04 21:36:03)

dark wrote:

Two things I do notice which are a little odd, is firstly though I've prestieged six times, my energy bonus is still at zero. Have I just  not encountered the right items yet?
Also, all my heirlooms have relatively higher bonuses except for relic, indeed I don't think I've run across any heirloom relics, though this might just be the whims of the god of random numbers of course.

The prestige items are all of equal chance, when you summon a merchant the code basically just says, give the merchant 1 Humble Pie, 1 random prestige item and an assortment of other random items based on the wooden nickle level. Same with heirlooms, if you open a chest, you get a random heirloom gear. So yeah, just the random number gods testing you tongue


dark wrote:

you shouldn't be able to search for items until you get to a new scene being as you've likely lost your way and are retreading old ground.

Hmm. That would make sense if you actually went 'back' a scene to your previous area. Though you are going back a scene as far as your progress goes, it could be that you just went to an area that is out of the way causing you to take the long way around. I could compromise and make it a 50/50 shot whether you came to a new area or went back to an old one. So when you get lost you have a 50% chance to be able to search again.


dark wrote:

It also might be cool eventually to have random traders turn up at intervals, (perhaps after each boss battle), different from the knickle merchant, who would   sell something at a random price, sometimes a steel, sometimes trying to radically rip you off.

I was thinking of just making the merchant show up after boss battles and removing the wooden nickles altogether. If I did that, I could have the random items in the merchant have wildly different prices, as you say, some times a bargain, some times a rip off.


dark wrote:

Of course, I'm guessing that prestige bonus items increase in price proportionally according to either your progressiont hrough the game or how many you've previously consumed, though I must admit I did find the merchant's much more interesting when I could actually afford to buy the prestige bonus item and perhaps have a look at their armour and weapons, rather than when I'd just  have to keep saving up all my gold for the next dandy candy or whatever.

The price of prestige items is, as you say, based on the number of prestiges in the case of a humble pie and the your elemental prestige bonus in the case of the elemental items. Indeed the primary purpose of the merchant is prestige items, the other items there are mostly for fluff in the off chance that you can actually use them. With your idea of making the prices fluctuate, that might alleviate that though. The scale of the prices might be too high for longer runs. I might have to put in a gold bonus based on prestiges and/or gems to counteract that. When you hit a wall, prestiging should fix it and let you progress further each time.


aaron wrote:

Hi,
I haven't been able to find a fire bomb yet on the ground. A merchant was selling one but was at a bit of a ridiculous price, hehe. So I just left it as is.

This should be fixed in the next update which will hopefully be later this week. I'm adding item weights so I can control the probability for each item spawn. Right now everything is equal probability so the more items I add, the less each one shows up. Oh, also, they don't start showing up in searches until scene 50.

Also, question for you all: Would character classes be something you'd be interested in getting added here? I had an idea in regards to the bombs to be specific to an alchemist type class. The basic idea would be that there would be a random item you could find or buy, such as a training book. Reading it teaches you a class. You'd have to commit to a single class each run, once you learn it your stuck in that class until you prestige or start the run over. Each class would give you things to do such as making smoke/fire bombs somehow (haven't quite worked out all the details yet).

Thumbs up +1

2019-12-04 22:20:16

Hi.


yeah, a class system sounds awesome!


i've not managed to save my game yet, humble pie is at least 1000 and something gold and selling things because of your inventory works but then you've used up a nickle and have to wait to find another one, can something be done?

If you like harry potter fan fiction, click on this link to download a zipped folder containing 9 point something gigs of harry potter fan fiction when unzipped. It's around 3.9 gigs zipped. https://tinyurl.com/vuefsu2

Thumbs up

2019-12-04 22:35:33

Hello folks, yeah, classes could be neat.
Best regards, Haramir.

The true blind is the one who refuses to see.

Thumbs up

2019-12-05 00:20:21

brad wrote:

Hi.


yeah, a class system sounds awesome!


i've not managed to save my game yet, humble pie is at least 1000 and something gold and selling things because of your inventory works but then you've used up a nickle and have to wait to find another one, can something be done?

You'll get another nickle after the next boss, just gotta push through. Bosses come on scene 10, then 11 scenes after that, then 12, then 13, etc.

When you are ready for a pie, look at the gear you have equipped and see how much you can sell for. You can't take it with you after you eat the pie anyway.

Thumbs up

2019-12-05 07:34:52

I personally like the wooden nickels being usable when you need, because then you can save one and use it when your pack is full and you have a load of junk to sell, that being said a merchant after each boss be nice. fight would make sense.

Myself I'd suggest doing both.

Say after each boss fight you're visited by the mystic merchant who only sells prestige items, where as in the dungeon you can use the wooden knickle to summon the travelling trader who trades in weapons and armour, and who sometimes has great prices, sometimes not.

Both could  buy what your selling, but obviously have different functions. You could even occasionally find treasure items just for selling too.

Since you can only buy  one prestige item per merchant, I'd personally be in favour of dropping the price, especially if more merchants are planned in the game, since it's much more interesting to be able to buy a prestige item than save gold as I said.

As to classes,
As to classes, I definitely like the idea, especially if each class plays a little differently and changes your experience for that run.
For example maybe the alchemist does less damage over all, but does more damage with items, meaning that for bosses they need to conserve firebombs etc.

Maybe the wizard has problems wearing certain armour types, but in compensation, has spells that can negate certain area effects or raise elemental bonuses, as well as help in combat, indeed in general some more options in combat for getting through tough fights would be extremely nice, and classes would be a good way to add that.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

Thumbs up

2019-12-06 14:54:04

Well the difficulty has ramped up, I actually died last prestiege, although it seems that since enemy strength isn't  dependent upon environmental effects, I might as well go on playing on hard and getting more loot.

I'd definitely be interested  seeing some more combat options, since some of those super bosses can really ramp up the damage, although on the plus side I  have found an heirloom relic as well as increased pack size.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

Thumbs up

2019-12-06 19:38:11

Dark wrote:

Well the difficulty has ramped up, I actually died last prestiege, although it seems that since enemy strength isn't  dependent upon environmental effects, I might as well go on playing on hard and getting more loot.

I'd definitely be interested  seeing some more combat options, since some of those super bosses can really ramp up the damage, although on the plus side I  have found an heirloom relic as well as increased pack size.

Part of the mechanism that ramps up damage is your time in the current prestige. If you prestige more often, it'll keep some of that damage ramp down. Also since there are more prestige items now, and to help give you as a player more choices, I was thinking about putting multiple prestige items in each merchant. That way you can choose which ones to buy when you have enough money and sort of work toward a 'build' instead of just going with whatever comes your way.

Thumbs up