2019-11-02 22:35:52

I hate calling people out publicly, but something needs to be done about this. As a lot of people probably remember, Redfox created a post yesterday stating that Aaron Baker was reselling Manamon 1 and passing it off as a new game to make more money. He accused Aaron of intentionally ripping people off, which is character assassination at its finest. When people started jumping on him for it, he then tried to pass it off as a joke. When people continued to jump on him for it, it appears he deleted the topic to cover up what he did so that he wouldn’t get punished or slammed by people for his actions anymore. Is something going to be done about this? I’m sorry if I come off as annoying for doing this, but I hate seeing people break rules on this forum and if I’m there to witness it I won’t hesitate to let everyone know about it if I have to.

Discord: dangero#0750
Steam: dangero2000
TWITCH
YOUTUBE and YOUTUBE DISCORD SERVER

2019-11-02 23:10:29

the topic was removed by the original poster.
I was kind of hoping this thing would die, but thanks for ressurecting it. Sigh.

Much less active on this forum than in the past.

Check out my live streams: http://lerven.me
follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/liamerven

2019-11-02 23:21:03 (edited by Dan Gero 2019-11-09 13:37:51)

Really? Someone intentionally breaks a rule and passes it off as a joke, and you were going to sweep it under the rug without so much as a single warning? I'm aware he deleted the topic himself, that's why I came on here and made this post to insure someone definitely saw it and took action against it.

TWITCH

2019-11-02 23:50:38

From the outside looking in, since I completely and totally missed this and was not aware until OP brought it to my attention, is that he's concerned that he was just able to delete the topic and avoid possible punishment, which is the same tactic Mahdi used a while back.

Thumbs up

2019-11-03 00:18:20

Lol all I will say is liam is no fool. Please enough with the back seat adminning

Take care, it's a desert out there.

Thumbs up

2019-11-03 00:44:59 (edited by Ethin 2019-11-03 00:51:52)

@5, this isn't back-seat admining at all. I was not awear of this either until I saw it, and from the outside looking it does look worse than it probably is. It sends a message to those who aren't aware of these things that if someone breaks a rule and then deletes the topic, no punishment will be handed out, and therefore that person can violate as many rules as they like and not get punished for it. I can see people violating the copyright/no cracks rule this way too: someone creates a topic, posts a link to a crack, waits until some people have acquired it and then they delete the topic and boom, they don't ever get punished (even if a bystander saw the topic and reported it like the OP is doing here). Your right: Liam is no fool. But Liam is no god, either. As a community it is our responsibility to help admins and point out possible errors and mistakes they've made, just as they might do for us members.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

Thumbs up

2019-11-03 00:59:15

Moderation:
I was hoping not to have to spend the next little while justifying admin actions, but.. You know how it is.
1. The reason why no warnings were issued as of yet is that the topic was deleted by the original poster. yes he did choose to erase it only after several people suggested it but he did do so. People can sit here and speculate if he did it because he was sorry for his actions, or if he thought it would save him from any punishment. I have my ownviews, but again. Being an admin means being imparcial.
2. The victim of the slander did not want any warnings or bans given. he believes that people will play his demo, and will judge it for themselves. But this leads me to.
3. As the OP believes so steadfast in the rules, I'm sure he knows that in order for a warning to be levied character assassination, two staff members need to be present to do so. that means as a staff member, I can not warn someone on my own for doing that. This is designed to protect users from personal biases.
End Moderation:

Now a personal note. if someone truly believes in a set of rules, there are avenues in which can ask quesiton and express displeasure on how something was handled. instead, using a new topic to bring up an issue with how something was handled just smacks of a disrespect for the process in general. instead, the first thoughtwhen reading this is. Wow. The OP must really want Redfox to get warned. Am I saying that is the case? Absolutely not, but I am saying that it raises the suspicion meter higher than it needs to be.

2019-11-03 01:05:52

I went with the benefit of the doubt here and assume that Liam saw the topic and didn’t give a moderator warning because he was waiting for another staff member to agree with him before he took action, which still might be true. I just wanted to make sure that it did not get swept under the rug and that someone definitely saw it so that something could be done about it. I was not backseat moderating and had absolutely no intention to do so; I am obligated as a member of this forum to report things if somebody breaks the rules, as is everybody else. I’m just doing what I was told to do.

TWITCH

2019-11-03 01:11:38

8:
At the bottom of every post is both a PM and email link. you can always fill out that form.
That would have been a much better solution than opening a new topic.

2019-11-03 01:21:24

Update: it looks like me and Liam posted at the same time, so now I definitely have confirmation that he was waiting for another staff members approval. The reason I opted to make this post in the first place is because I have absolutely no idea what was going on behind the scenes. Yes, as it turns out you did talk to other staff members, but I didn’t know that. For all I know, since the topic was deleted it could’ve been determined by a majority of staff members to let it slide. It does also say in the rules to let at least 24 hours pass before reporting something that the staff members probably know about already, so for being too quick on the trigger I apologize. However, I have no regrets. I did want him to get a warning, as I would want with everybody else if they did something like that. I’m trying to help the developer of this game, and I’m trying to help the moderatorsNot only because the rules tell me to but because everything I do is an attempt to help everyone else. I get no personal gain from reporting someone I hardly know to the moderators for breaking the rules; the only thing I gain out of it is knowing that I helped, which is what matters in the end.

TWITCH

2019-11-03 01:23:04

Also, I did send a PM to the staff, specifically Jade.

TWITCH

2019-11-03 01:24:44 (edited by cartertemm 2019-11-03 01:27:25)

moderation:
For the record, I was said other staff member who agreed with Liam's opinion that this had already gone far enough.
Do I think what Redfox did was incredibly stupid? Why of course.
We wanted to walk with the benefit of the doubt on this one, however let it be said that those who make a habit of (two times or more) deleting threads to cover up transgressions, will be dealt with incredibly heavy-handedly. It may be a good idea to revise the rules here?

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. In the future there's also the report link which doesn't necessarily have to be used on a specific post. This way all admins are able to see your message.

Thumbs up

2019-11-03 01:30:52

I will keep that in mind for next time. Good to know it’s not post specific.

TWITCH

2019-11-03 01:37:18

Hi!
I do see where op is coming from, and I also do agree that what I said was kind of stupid.
My sense of humor and others definitely do not aline in most cases, and it was late and I thought it would be funny.

One thing I don't understand is why you are so adamant that it was a cover up. No no no, the whole thing was a joke from the start.
As pointed out in my posts on that topic, it had been a mere 6 hours sense that game had been released, noone can finish that that fast.

I saw the topic get way out of hand in the first 3 posts and atempted to stop it there, but people kept going with it.
I'm ok to admit that it was, in a sense, slander and I understand why people were mad, but what I don't understand is why people made a huge ddeal of it and didn't try to talk to me sensibly. I believe Liam was one of the few that tried to, but was overwhelmed by the others calling me a fucking stupid idiot or whatever... And I'm supposed to be 14?

Now that I think of it, I'm pretty sure op was also quite calm with me too... Good job, buddy.

TLDR: this whole situation sparked from a, self perceived, inconsequential joke that people took way to far.
I deleted the topic because multiple people pressed for it and I decided I didn't want to deal with those people freaking out at a joke like that.

Also, a point was raised that someone might see the topic and believe it to be true, thus robbing Aaron of a sale.
My response to this is: There is a main topic, that will probably be 350 pages again, and you think that one little post, especially with the fact that it was a joke plainly pasted 4 posts later, would be that game changer? Come on.

----------
“Yes, sir. I am attempting to fill a silent moment with non-relevant conversation.”
“You don’t tell me how to behave; you’re not my mother!”
“Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.” – Data (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

Thumbs up

2019-11-03 01:45:49

In my defense, I don’t know you so I don’t know how your mind works. Thank you for letting me know that it wasn’t a cover-up attempt, but I didn’t know that because I don’t know you. It looked very suspicious the way the entire thing was handled, so I genuinely thought that you deleted it to cover up what you did and to try to avoid punishment. My bad for assuming, but once again in my defense you have to admit it did look fishy. I have nothing personal against you, (well, nothing major anyway), I’m just doing what I think is right.

TWITCH

2019-11-03 01:54:31

Completely understood and I should've explained myself better in that topic, deleting it did look fishy, and maybe edditing my op further to explain myself would've been smart.

----------
“Yes, sir. I am attempting to fill a silent moment with non-relevant conversation.”
“You don’t tell me how to behave; you’re not my mother!”
“Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.” – Data (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

Thumbs up

2019-11-03 02:49:15

actually. I'm glad you deleted it. It's rare I like to see topics get erased, but it wasn't helping anything and it existing would have only made the end result much worse.
Thank you for owning up to your mistake and apologizing.

2019-11-03 03:01:08

In the spirit of apologizing, I need to do the same for Liam for what I said in post 3. I interpreted post 2 as you not caring, so I'm sorry about that. I meant nothing personal by it.

TWITCH

2019-11-03 14:24:31

Now they live happily ever after?  Woohoo!

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

Thumbs up

2019-11-03 15:36:02

@redfox yeah but the thing is, even if it was a joke, your humor doesn't align well with other people', and you should know that by now.

@OP Really? Just... freaking really. I don't even know what to say right now, I have this picture in my head of a little kid being a complete nuisance because his bigger brother did something he probably shouldn't, but not too terrible, but the parents drop the hammer on the big brother because the little one is being so annoying about it. That's what you're doing. I also see some things never change, flying off the handle and posting this topic, what good did it do? Not a bit of it. If you were concerned, you could just drop a mail or PM a mod, not come out pumping your chest like a gorilla.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-11-03 16:59:56

One week of absence and it turns out that it isn't allowed to discuss an existing problem here. Ironcross, seriously?

Thumbs up

2019-11-04 00:16:57

Obviously it did do some good, because it got the moderators attention. Glad to know it’s wrong for me to try to help, thanks for making me look like the bad guy.

TWITCH

2019-11-04 01:25:18

Nah you do that all on your own homie.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-11-07 11:20:43

Righto, so a few things.

First, I confess that I spent a lot of the weekend playing manamon and really only reading the threads that concerned me. I'll go ahead and own that right here and now. I have to learn to check my private messages more often because after reading this thread, I saw that I had a few and I need to respond to some of them. Really wish there were some way to know when you have a new message. That's on me, guys. I apologize.

I did actually see Redfox's original thread, and was in the process of roasting him and even suggesting that a warning be levied against him, but when I went to post, I got an error, which told me the thread would be deleted. At this point, I felt much the same way Carter and Liam did (the harm had been done and essentially admitted to). I didn't like it at all, and I think it is unreasonable to assume that we're going to let rules slide just because you delete the thread. In fact, I think there's even a bit in the rules that says that thread or post deletion or editing doesn't necessarily mean you're immune to the rules you break originally.

Redfox, I have difficulty believing your "humour" was in good faith, but whether it was or not, it was in terrible taste, so thank you for admitting that and taking down the thread. It probably wasn't going to do any catastrophic harm, but it was needless. We all say and do things we shouldn't sometimes, so I hope we can learn from this.

Guys, maybe lay off DanGero a bit. If he did try to reach out to me, and I said nothing, then no wonder he thought this was being ignored. Whistleblowing is understandable if there is a legitimate issue to talk about. I do not want to start up the expectation that you can't bring valid things to our attention. The first and best way to do this is to write a report or contact one of the staff team privately though; I'd say this sort of escalation, where you make a topic and draw attention to it, should only be done if you're fairly convinced that wrong is being done and you feel the need to expose it. This should not be a hair-trigger decision.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

Thumbs up

2019-11-08 01:43:57

So a couple things.
I know REDFox very well personally and i can say with absolute certainty that he thought of it as a joke. He is a huge troll and finds these things funny. But i do as well so yeah.
Now in the spirit of fairness i did not see the topic but i have  spoken with him privately regarding it and he was laughing about it. I do know he hasn't even played more than maybe ten minutes into the game and literally was just joking.
Now regarding  DanGero.
One reason i think that Ironcross was laying into him is because this guy has a bit of a holier than thou attitude a lot of the time. He also comes across as wanting to be a backseat moderator a fuckload. In recent topics he has made many posts and topics that come off as him feeling that he is on the same level as a moderator. For example, in the topic what games should be considered for the database, that seems like a topic a moderator should be making. I do understand that this forum is a community driven website but he seems to be pushing himself as a moderator. At the very least that is how it came across.
Now for a more personal reason IronCross and others may not like him.
He makes a lot, i mean a lot of topics where either he is asking some random question and somehow coming across annoying, or posting the in the most winy way possible. He has a method of writing that doesn't ingratiate him to anyone.
Finally another reason people may disapprove. The final reason i could see people not liking him very much. Full disclosure:
this is the only one of my points i feel a little strongly about.
DanGero, you made a massive topic about how you wanted to be banned and made at least me feel bad for you. You made this whole argument about your feelings and all of that is totally okay. But then two days later your back and this whole attitude i discussed earlier shows up. You basically sit there and cry about your feelings and say you aren't coming back but then your back and posting a massive amount of topics all the time.
I don't really have much against  DanGero  but i am just laying out why i think some may not like him very much.
That is my peace, make of it what you will.

Is this the real life?
Or is this just fantasy?
Caught in a landslide,
No escape from reality

Thumbs up +1