2019-10-21 18:49:38

hi!
So I was reading through the topics of the off topic room, and this room too, when I noticed a trend.
]It's all bad management this and dying forum that.
I'm no bleeding heart, you've detected that by now, but I wanted to be the one who went against the tide.
For those who are ignorant of goings on, and who don't bother to read the little updates Dark posts in the monthly chats, let me just reiterate that Dark has been helping to administrate, moderate, whatever the word is, this forum while Mrs Dark has been sick. he has dedicated his time to a group of individuals who can saying nothing better than, "The forum has bad management."
Now let me move onto Liam.
Liam, owner of LWorks games, is moderating, adminsitrating, which ever, this forum, when he could be doing something else.
As a developer, he has the brain power, the talent, to go out and make millions developing for some sighted firm like microsoft, and stick two fingers in the air to everyone who slanders the forum each day, but he doesn't.
Now! I know this comes across as a rant, and I know people are going to say, "Man, that's just a few players!" but some one has to say it.
Someone has got to put their foot down and say thanks.
Because no one else is.
For those who are unaware, here's how you give good feedback:
1. You outline a point that you dislike.
2. You suggest a solution.
3. You sweeten the deal with a compliment.
So:
I think the forum's management, while it has improved recently, has begun to be too reliant on a few people. May I suggest opening up interviews for new moderators, to restore this forum to its former glory!
One sentence.
I admit, I tried to summarise this post in one sentence, but couldn't be diplomatic, sorry!

I've digressed somewhat, because the point of this post was actually to say thank you to Dark, Liam, Jayde  and any other moderator or admin or poor, unpaid slave who works on this forum.
I, if no one else, respect your time and effort.

There are two very important things in this world ladies and gentlemen, time, and money.
Money you can earn back. But time, once lost, is gone forever.
Appreciate, therefore, the time these people give to this forum.
thanks, and rant, as they say, over!

Nathan Smith
Managing Director of Nathan Tech
It's not disability
It's ability!

2019-10-21 19:10:53

You beat me to it. I was thinking of making a post thanking the moderators as well.

Discord: dangero#0750
Steam: dangero2000
TWITCH
YOUTUBE and YOUTUBE DISCORD SERVER

2019-10-21 20:53:25

A quick correction.
Dark doesn't moderate, he posts news. Juts clearing the air before our usual suspects crawl out of the woodwork screaming and shouting.
I have the upmost respect for him especially given what he's going through right now. Cancer is fuckin rough man.

dardar wrote:

May I suggest opening up interviews for new moderators, to restore this forum to its former glory!

There are many aspects that, when combined, serve to make a community prosper. Leadership, age group, interests, policies, so on and so forth. A few more moderators won't turn the tide and allow us to return to "former, glory?" or any other idealistic state. They might instead relieve us of some weight, that's about it.

Thanks for the appreciation btw.

2019-10-22 00:29:33

I agree with the sentiment that the forum mods don't deserve a constant onslaught of negativity. However, all are here by choice. Should any member of the team be squirreling away some vast amount of brain power that could be used to get them a 6-figure salary plus a slew of benefits and an enviable retirement plan, choosing instead to only make audio games and administrate the audio games forum; I'd strongly plead to them to open their mind and chase their dreams and opportunities. I'd feel wrong thanking them.

If you have issues with Scramble, please contact support at the link below. I check here at least once a day, so this is the best avenue for submitting your issues and bug reports.
https://stevend.net/scramble/support

2019-10-22 02:54:06

Oh, I dunno @4...  Money isn't everything in this world either...
I've never once believed success was determined by how much one does but rather by how much one is, that character is not so much what you've gained but how you've gained it, and that perseverance shows up best in the midst of pain, not pleasure.  That is why, as far as I'm concerned, chasing after one's dreams, while not entirely a bad thing is, at least, somewhat overrated.  How many people have you seen who are chasing after dreams end up splattering all over pavement after jumping out of tall sky scrapers?  I'll always admire the janitor who went to school, got a PHD, maybe even secretly worked on a cure for cancer in his spare time, but who seemed to do nothing more than slave away for a bunch of pesky 6-7-8 year old children who made monumental messes in all of the bathrooms he had to clean, over the star-spangled-celeb with millions of twitter followers and FB friends and billions of dollars burning through bank accounts and a car for every day of the week and an island of his or her own.  What's more, I wager the latter is lonelier than the former, because the latter always has to impress with an image of his or herself, while the former shows at least part of his or her character in keeping such a job, all the while capable of going elsewhere.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2019-10-22 03:28:45 (edited by The Dwarfer 2019-10-22 03:31:15)

In the end, people make seemingly daunting sacrifices to insure they can live a happy life. For some, the happiness of others is what gives them happiness while for others, it is things like money and a ton of possessions. Either way though, each example you listed above earns his living and his happy life by giving to others; the billionair likely gives the people entertainment, or clothes, or technology, or what have you - and his Twitter fandom is no coincidence.
By your post you paint the celebrity as this rather careless person who is lonely, resents what they are doing perhaps because of this, but must keep up an image. Perhaps this is true for some, but not all. Perhaps some have IQs topping 150 but prefer the lavish lifestyle, while others want nothing but to get out and slam shot after shot every night to forget the daily agony of the public eye. Furthermore, maybe that janitor can go places, but he doesn't want to. He is chasing his dream - and despite how mundane some perceive it to be, it makes him happy, and that's why he's willing to sacrifice for it. I can't think of one example where someone willingly endured tribulation without gain; even Jesus didn't do this, and I use him because according to Christians he is the most perfect and noble. He did it because he wanted to pay for our sins, and see us freed from them, give us another way to salvation. This would make him happy, because he loved us, so he did it.
Selflessness does not really exist. In the end it's all a matter of what motivates you - your happiness derived from that of others is still your happiness in the end. So long as the celebrity is not taking from us more than he is giving, so long as he is fulfilling his duties as an entertainer and making peoples' days, making people feel like they belong, giving them something they look forward to so much that they continue to put dollar after dollar towards it, then why should I admire him less than the janitor at an elementary school?
For each bad day the janitor has, the celebrity crashes and burns, yet again. No way either walks away unscathed every single time, right? With every success comes the road to it, and the failures of dead end alternatives.
Each time though, they reach for motivation - one from the wallet and one from the heart - but each in kind from their own reserve of hard earned, well deserved resources. In the end, if they both die with smiles on their faces - the funeral patrons cracking jokes in memory of the hilarious entertainer as they wander to and fro across immaculate tile floors, then what right do I have to judge the one better than the other? Hats off to both for chasing and living their dreams to the fullest, even if they hit and splattered against more than a few brick walls along the way.

If you have issues with Scramble, please contact support at the link below. I check here at least once a day, so this is the best avenue for submitting your issues and bug reports.
https://stevend.net/scramble/support

2019-10-22 05:20:51

@6, I like that way of thinking. Best description of "failure before success" I've read in some time.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2019-10-22 16:49:05

Thanks everyone for, well, the thanks.
It does feel like since November the forum has been quite tricky. Getting people like Jayde on board meant that there was a firey spirit that I did not possess, and Jayde hit the ground running. I now make sure to weigh in more with decisions, though a lot of the time especially recently I've been looking at the staff decisions and mostly agreeing with them. Yep we've all made mistakes even me, and I do wonder if the moderation styles may continue to clash but at the same time, I do think we have a team. Granted that team is now pretty much all admins so everyone's got the same power as each other, but this was deliberated over on list, especially the point about admins not being able to be demoted. It does feel a bit like a one-way trip.

2019-10-23 07:42:40 (edited by Dark 2019-10-23 07:46:16)

Thanks for the good wishes people.

As  Cartertemm said, these days I'm no longer an active administrator and the most I'll do is drop an opinion occasionally. Mostly what I do do is try to write for the forum and the db, though I'll freely admit I've not exactly been up to doing much of that recently owing to basically things being pretty dire as Dardar mentioned, heck I've not even been gaming too much either beyond casual things, since  even my reaction speed is suffering at the moment.

so whilst the vote of confidence is appreciated, I'd say it belongs far more  to Aaron, jayde, Liam, carter and the other admins than it does to me.

I think these days, particularly in Britain with all the brexit bickeringg prophesying doom has become something of a modern  obsession, especially  when those presentiments of doom come from people who have jumped on a band wagon, or are simply trying to inflate their own importance by  durging as loudly as they can.

not that its good  to bury heads in the sand and pretend everything is fine either,  the world generally seems to have gone pretty bonkers at the moment, but there is a veryy large line between necessary awareness of something that is wrong, and destructive negativity either, especially in an online community which is fundamentally far more in the  charge of people who listen to its members than most communities out there.

And After all, its a plane truth of pop psychology that in terms of attitude, people  tend to find what they're looking for.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)