2019-10-19 05:33:44

Yes, you really did hear that title right.
Play the game here on Itch.io

The best way of describing this is that it's like A dark room for pc without being anything like a dark room at all! big_smile.

To be a bit less cryptic, the game is an incremental game in which you literally play as a planet. Begin by looking around and you'll find a lot of interesting things, like an asteroid containing a lost robot called Burger, a fridge floating through space containing Deric the mad bull, and Space ben, a flying saucer based merchant!

The object of the game is to gather resources, such as wood, gold and coco (yes you heard that right), with which you either upgrade your resource collection, or buff deric up so that he goes down into the dungeons in your surface to fight for you! These dungeons then earn you even more rewards, from various types of loot, to unlocking new things.

The game is simple to follow, but surprisingly addictive, especially trying  unlock all the things. while I suspect completion time will be relatively short, the actual game experience is fun!

Best of all , quite honestly this game could've been made to be accessible.
Everything you can buy has a description in a heading, along with handy buttons which are enabled/disabled according to whether you can afford things, there's even a "back button" at the top.
I did on one screen have to find a clickable area to return to the basic surface screen, but I suspect this was more because I didn't realise where the back button is.

I do wish you could have an easier way of finding resources, but hay its not to hard to just go to the top and look.

The game also has some pleasant background music and some fun sound effects (the pounding sound everytime Deric smashes his way through a bunch of enemies is quite hilarious!).

There is also an Ios version which I suspect will be just as accessible, though in the mean time I'm  lots of fun with the pc version, something cute, light hearted and engrossing without being too tough is just what I am looking for right now.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-10-19 05:38:28

here's the link for the IOS version just  in case, and yes it is accesible:
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/planet-life/id1389159829

2019-10-19 07:43:57

Nice to know about the access. Actually I'm amazed how long this game goes on and how many minigames and random mechanics are in there,

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-10-19 08:51:48

Damnation!
To anyone using C cleaner, the cookie that saves your progress in this game is a long and complex one with lots of numbers!not! the one that says crede itch.io,  grrrrrr!

Just lost my savefile, and I believe I was approaching the end of the second chapter.
Oh well, back to the drawing baord.

2019-10-19 17:11:59

Dark, thanks for the game!  i playing it now, and it's very funny and addictive.

2019-10-19 19:35:04

@Dark, I think this may be your best find, lol, I really enjoy this one. Thank you for sharing

2019-10-20 08:06:09 (edited by Dark 2019-10-20 11:32:39)

Glad people like, the developer has been good about access from what I gather on the Itch.io comments which is nice.
I'm rather surprised how long the second chapter is, twice as long as the first if not longer I think, though I intend to finish, and there are some pretty awesome challenges.

Edit: okay all done now accept for the absolute final dungeon which will take a few more by way of upgrades I think to finish, though the dungeons are fun to do themselves, also an interesting indication of where the story is going for chapter 3 and what will be coming next.

2019-10-22 06:24:55

Okay everything is finished, though I confess some of those last dungeons were quite the slog, now I'm waiting for chapter 3.
I actually suspect this would be a little harder to play on Ios because where you can read a lot of the notifications when you click things by just hitting up arrow in the browser, finding temporary text might be more different on Ios, though I did mention to the dev the possibility of direct vo output.
Either way the game is still lots of fun and I'll certainly be playing through the third chapter.

2019-10-22 14:53:09

I've played the IOS version.
Possible spoilers ahead.
I haven't found anything to do with a dungeon venturing bull, and have given up since I got the axe, drill and straw to maximum in a short space of time.
I have gotten the 3 friends from buying the USB's, and don't see anything new to do although it says I need another 2 friends to make 5 with the worm god.

Though our eyes may fail, our ears prevail!
User Karma, every little helps

2019-10-22 16:35:19 (edited by Dark 2019-10-22 16:37:09)

The bull I mention is Derek, if you've not met him, go to space and use explore. This might actually be one area where the pc version is slightly more convenient, since new headings for explore show up in either the space menu or on the menu for your surface when new locations become available. Actually I sort of wonder how you got stardusts if you haven't been down the dungeons, unless you either spammed the slot machine or traded with the stupid planet which likely would result in a lot of wasted resources, plus of course looting resources from dungeons is obviously more fun big_smile.

Either way, if you've not discovered the rpg part of the game your missing a  big chunk of gameplay.

In general this game isn't one of those incremental games which you keep running in the background and buy trading upgrades occasionally, its more like a dark room, where the incremental increases happen whilst your off doing other things, and you really finish by doing the other things rather than simply waiting for enough resources. b

2019-10-22 23:04:28

I think the IOS version isn't as accessible, as I've not been able to find the explore button since the start of the game.
I think it's a case of buttons being hidden from VO

Though our eyes may fail, our ears prevail!
User Karma, every little helps

2019-10-23 00:07:29

Hi,
I'm playing the iOS version and the explore button becomes available at certain points. I will leave a spoiler here as it's actually not very obvious.
s
p
o
i
l
e
r
s
p
a
c
e
A lot of exploration happens when you buy starmaps from the merchant. However I'm trying to remember how I unlocked him.

2019-10-23 00:59:34

Yes, the iOS version is fully accessible, though slightly annoying due to the amount of clicking you have to do.
On an overall note, I do believe that the game needs some balancing. Some upgrades scale to slowly, others scale ridiculously fast, and others are just in between.  I do enjoy the descriptions and the amusing text, but I am at a point where I am grinding for the same thing over and over and over, so I guess a little more variety wouldn’t hurt, Either.

2019-10-23 07:09:47

On the pc version, all of the new links actually show up as headings and can be navigated with h in NvdA (and I presume other screen readers as well), so I would assume that setting the rotor to heading in vo  and flicking might work, though Aaron is correct about the starmaps, I do believe you need to buy one to get Derek and open up the dungeons.

@amerikranian, I didn't personally find the game super grindy until the end when i'd finished all the dungeons and was just going for special endless dungeons, indeedd, if in doubt, go dungeoning, since generally  you can fill your resources pretty  quickly from looting,  particularly since unlike many incremental games, Planet life has no inventory size limits for resources, and usually buy the time I'd done a dungeon or two I'd got the resources to buy other stuff, or at least got the resources to get the resources for other stuff; hint, trading is your friend especially when playing the stock exchange.
Also note that the developer is a regular on Itch.io, so feel free to drop him a comment as he's quite up for listening to feedback.

Actually, the tentative start of chapter three was a bit more resource balancy from what I saw, especially because unlike chapter two you don't have most of your usual stuff, so I'll be interested to see where this one goes, especially since judging by chapter 2, the developers are adding new mechanics and little minigames into the mix here and there just for fun.

2019-10-23 13:51:48 (edited by amerikranian 2019-10-23 17:24:44)

Spoiler
Dark, how did you grind out close to 150 ghosts?

2019-10-23 21:56:42

Another question, I wouldn't normally ask so soon, but just to get an idea on where to go...
s
p
o
i
l
e
r
Can anyone please give a hint for how to unlock the villar?

2019-10-24 02:11:08

All I can really say is keep playing, do everything else you can.

2019-10-24 04:53:47

@Aaron, yeah amerikranian is right, just keep on going through content and the viller will become available when it needs to be.
Beware! spoilage ahoy for chapter 2.

@amerikranian, you can buy ghosts from Ben for gold, but at an increasingly exorbitant cost, so your best method is the stock exchange. The prices go up to about 25 per ghost, and then gradually down to 2 stardust per ghost in a steady cycle, you can sell ghosts later on when the prices are super high, but I generally just bought them when prices were low, like under 6 stardust per ghost, and since you get so much stardust from later dungeons it's not really a problem.

The stock exchange might also be easier on pc since you get about thirty seconds before the price changes and so can buy five or six ghosts at that point, though I don't know how quick clicking the button is on Ios, still since the price of the ghost is always labeled with the buy button you can usually see before you hit, so it's easy to know if your on the up or down swing.

hth.

2019-10-25 00:27:08

I played the game on ıOS, then it wanted me to pay 34 Turkish liras, then I said no thanks

2019-10-25 04:33:16

Ios ap store wrote:

PriceFree
In-App Purchases
Medium Hard Donation$2.99
Small Soft Donation$0.99
Big Massive Donation$9.99
Unlock Broccoli World$4.99

The donations are I believe just that. So, the only thing needed to be bought on Ios is the second chapter, and that should just cost 5 usd.

I wonder if you were looking at the right game there?

2019-10-25 12:07:07

Hi,
I am playing the game on IOS and I have a Problem. When playing the abyssal dungeon in the Broccoli world, the game uses up two resources per click. For example, if I click to drink a healing potion to boost my health, it uses up two healing potions. The Problem is that it also seems to fight twice, costing me twice the normal health.
Can anybody help?

Greetings and happy gaming, Julian

If you say you never lie, you're a liar.
Oh, and #freeGCW

2019-10-25 15:12:53 (edited by Dark 2019-10-25 15:16:05)

I do remember that sometimes unless I waited for the beeping sounds to play that indicate text is being written to the screen, I'd end up hitting the wrong button in dungeons and activating an ability I didn't want to use, I never had the issue of fights happening twice or of using extra healing potions, indeed that is one miner downer in the game's interface, the fact that  you have to use healing potions one at a time.

I suggest trying waiting a little after each fight (I'm guessing you were clicking quickly in the abyssal dungeon), and if that doesn't work, trying contacting the developer.

2019-10-26 01:59:27 (edited by amerikranian 2019-10-26 02:01:09)

So I finished the game. I won't put any spoilers into this, so feel free to keep reading. I, dono. I didn't really enjoy chapter 2's ending, but I am interested in the content chapter 3 may have in store, my only concern is that  the development has been quiet for about 4 months now. The gameplay did get on my nerves at times, especially when doing the lots of clicking activities (dungeons), but I suspect that was because I was playing on IOS and that it would be easier on PC

2019-10-26 06:19:57

@amerikranian, Yep, while I donated on Itch.io I think the pc version is probably easier going.

Does the Ios version have the start of chapter 3 on it?

Beware! spoilage ahoy! read no further if you haven't beaten the quiz in chapter 2.

What I mean is, when you talk to the worm god and then go to the robot planet and get to play as burger, mining coco from your own surface and using it to buy upgrades at the space bar.
That ended with a typically wacky sequence in which a potato man appeared and said that was as far as the game went, and offered me to go back and try and finish the endless dungeons, which indeed I did, because I'm a completist and the dungeons were cool even if grinding for those upgrades got seriously draggy and there wasn't really a reward for finishing, though the developer said he's likely to add one in the future.

2019-10-26 14:00:47

Dark, it does.