2019-11-02 01:27:31

I just Autoresolve everything, unless I want to skan the enemy ship.

2019-11-02 03:54:40

YEah, autoresolve is smart enough most of the time, I've found. WHat's more key than combat tactics, often, is knowing what your enemy has tech-wise, and that's what spies can do. The "rep," command is super useful for figuring out how advanced people are without firing a shot.

2019-11-02 04:54:18

Yeah, true, but i am a little bit sad about the behavior of the hole reputation thing. Rep is totaly linked to spies. I would like it more, if for example technologys which were revealed by scanning enemy fleets would be added to the rep-information too.

2019-11-02 06:02:55

Anyone know how to show your planets?
I keep forgetting the names and numbers of some of them, and they just sit there for like 100 years or so, just chugging along or what not.

2019-11-02 07:17:08

Greetings from emperor Decimal, whos planets are named one, two, three, four and so on.
HAHAHAHAHAHA

2019-11-02 17:03:33 (edited by zkline 2019-11-02 17:04:14)

Walker,

You can do something like "v py", which will show all your planets. I might suggest doing a little notetaking in a separate file, since it's a little harder to call up info than it is to just see it visually at a glance. I’m still trying to find an ideal format for doing this kind of thing myself, to both keep track of planets and their locations, and a little bit of information about important ones.

2019-11-02 17:25:45

So, I got three planets. I don't recall how to switch between them.

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

Jace's EA PGA Tour guide for blind golfers

2019-11-02 18:27:57

It's "g planetnum/name."

2019-11-02 18:46:19

Wow... That actually worked. Didn't expect it to, since anything I tried to type in with the V command except for stuff like "V 5", with the quotes, didn't work.
Thanks. Smiley.
Yeah, it's "G planet name or number.

2019-11-02 20:33:23

Walker,

You never use the quotes with the V command, just to be 100% clear. THe only time you quote anything is if you have a planet name like "Alpha Centauri," which has a space in it.

What the V command I gave you is doing is showing you (P)lanets that are (Y)ours. I put the letters in parentheses to make it read a bit better. You can also do things like ask for (u)nexplored planets, or (F)leets that belogn to your (o)pponnents.

2019-11-03 14:56:40

at long last a gnext and gpre command would be useful. But thats comparatively not so important to other stuff.

2019-11-03 18:48:33

I've been thinking about that as well. The actual code for those is pretty simple in the GUI version, as far as I can see. I'll have to look into implementing it.

2019-11-04 10:24:24

I was thinking about another point:
After the first 200 years, when you have lets say 12 Colonies, it would be useful to check out the endangered of your colonies which are close to other empires. Cause they can be reached very quickly so you maybe will have to defend them in advance.

2019-11-07 01:40:00

So, when useing the "V" command, without the quotes, at the moment when ever I type anything other then V pi, or just V with distance and stuff, how do I get it to tell me stuff like enemy fleets and stuff.
Can't look at in the ? command because I can only get to around the design command, and it won't let me go any higher.

2019-11-07 05:21:03

V highly depends on your scanner-technology and your explored map. The fleet-filter for v is f and you should use it together with the o-filter for displaying only your oponent fleets. So the syntax is:
v fo
If you want to check general distance to your controled space you could set a value after fo to see only a specific distance.
v fo 3
Will show you all whats happening 3 parsecs arround.
If you want to see everything happening in range of one of your planets the syntax is:
v fo +3
Of course you have to select the concerned colony first by g-command.

Feel free to ask if i was to stupid with my explanations.

2019-11-07 07:09:00

As a note, there is a command reference file, which has the contents of the ? command. It's worth keeping open just in case.

I haven't forgotten about this game, I've just been busy with work and other things. I intend to get back to it when I have the mental energy to look at lots of C code.

2019-11-07 07:36:12

Oooooh! How can you forget my favorite game of the year!
This is such a huge great example for making a mainstream game accessible!
I am not able to tell how much i love this!

2019-11-08 01:34:48

Keep getting stomped by the Sakkra, though I tend to just build up, and the AI tends to explore more...
Either way though, ugg... Still good game.

2019-12-04 09:57:28 (edited by Audacity 2019-12-04 09:58:54)

Wow, holy f&^$$ s@@%t! This is amazing. I've spent hours already and will doubtless spend many more as I try to figure out how everything works. I can't imagine all the work and energy that went into this. I have a few thoughts and questions, sorry if any of these have been covered already:
1. How do you keep track of all your planets, fleets, and everything that's going on all over the part of the map you know about? I've noticed keeping notes helps but it's a lot to keep track of, does anyone have a way of organizing it all other than just writing everything down?
2. I sometimes can't scroll to the start of the list of stuff I see with the view command. Filters seem inconsistent (the distance and range variables definitely give me fewer options, but rarely exactly the distance and range values I request), and I've not found any way around it. I'm using both Jaws and NVDA, but mostly jaws because it seems to give me more text and let me scroll back farther, but it still stops well before I need it to in huge lists of fleets and planets.
3. Related to 2, I'm wondering how hard it would be to make the game write a log file which I could have open in another window? Is there some other program or script that might do this with either Jaws or NVDA?
4. Has anybody actually figured a way of doing space combat without just auto resolving everything? I read the strategy guide and it seems like manually controlling our fleets would give a lot of extra flexibility and add a whole new dimention to the game. Has anybody figured a way of handling that, or is it best to just run it automatically until we get some access fixes? I don't mean to harp on negatives, I'm really enjoying the game and it's not like anything I've been able to play before.
@Zkline, thank you for bringing this to the forum. I haven't had this much fun with a game in years.

Boldly going where everyone's already been.

2019-12-04 10:20:53

HAHA, hey Audacity! Great name!
Firstly, i absolutely agree with you. Moo1 is the best we had in this year. Maybe the best of last year too! Maybe my realy favorite release of all time here!
Yes, you count out the main problems we have here.
I will try to give you some ideas for one or two of your points.

1:
My planets all have numeric names. one two three and so on.
That helps a lot to keep them all in mind.
I try to set every new colony to governormode so i have to check them only in cases of a special need or special event.
Fleets are mostly not so very important. Yes, there is a point where you have to check if an enemy fleet is on its way to your planets, but in many cases you can check them with v and its filters.
But yes, you are wright, it is a lot of work and i would love to have an eventnotification if something like this happens.

2&3: Have you tryed to play around with the contextmenu of the console by pressing alt-space? You can set up the amount of lines and its length. I had some trouble with this cause it themes that changes are often not affecting anything.
Yeah, thats strange.
A log file would be a interesting and nice idea.

4: Not at the moment but Zkline allready has something in mind to make the output a little easier.

I am so glad someone here like the game the same i do!
So: May your empire grow!

2019-12-04 11:29:08

@Firefly
Hmm, I've not played with the governor. That sounded dirtier than I meant it to, but you get the idea. smile As for planet numbering, yeah, I do this too. I've had to end a couple games because I accidentally gave two planets the same name (both times it was planet Four I think, haha, brains are weird). That system also gets thrown out of whack for me when I take over already existing colonies with the ground troops, however, since I can't rename colonies. What's your favorite race to play? I've been having lots of fun with the meklors, but think I might give the Klackons or Psilons a go.

2019-12-04 13:00:50

HAHAHA, yes, the groundconquering breaks the system, hahahaha.
We allready talked about a renaming-feature and a command to switch between your own colonys.

I only played the humans and the silicoids so far. But i like both races and i think i will like the other races too for their individual style.
With humans you can mostly stay out of trouble. Thats realy nice to build good relationships to nearly all other players. And you will have no trouble to keep your self out of any fighting stuff.
And i love the silicoids for their ability to land on nearly every atmospher so you can spread out very fast in a short time.

2019-12-04 18:17:45

Ah, yeah, I'll maybe try being a Human next. Right now I'm having fun being a Meklor, or Meklar or whatever it is, basically just building a crap ton of factories and that's letting me pretty much dominate, though if someone manages to capture any of my planets I'm probably toast.

2019-12-05 03:26:33

Hi ALl,

Yeah, I'm so glad to see people still enjoying this game. I unfortunately have been busier with work than usual lately, and also the development was a bit political, which I thought it best to stay out of. I will try to get back to this, time permitting, but can't promise when.

I can try to help with at least some of the concerns you raise though.

1. I haven't really found a great solution other than notetaking.
2. THere is a scrollback feature in the WINdows console, but it's not as easy to access as it should be. I think a workaround is to increase the number of rows and columns the console displays, which you can do in the properties window. I play on LInux and MAc OS, neither of which have this particular issue in the same way.
3. THis is something the game doesn't currently support natively, but it might be possible to do it using console commands, since it's basically just text output. I'll have to experiment a bit. I know on MAc I can just save the terminal log with a single key, but that's harder for WIndows folks.
4. COmbat is the bugbear of things as they stand now, unfortunately. I will have to look into it when I have a spare moment.

Sorry this isn't as useful as I hoped, but I'm still following this topic and iwll keep people aprised of what's going on.

2019-12-05 05:18:08

@Zkline,
  No worries at all. I totally understand wanting to save the politics for in game situations. smile Honestly I'm just having fun with the concept even though I haven't yet figured out a good system for keeping track of everything that's happening all at once in the later game. It's really promising to see that this is even possible with 4x games, so thank you! I'll definitely be happy when this gets a face lift but it's still giving me hours of fun as is. Best of luck with the work grind.