2019-09-15 07:54:11

@dark: Yeah, sequence storm OST is an item in your library so this is how you launched a player by hitting on it enter.

Your window looks as it should. Sadly if there games in your library you will see a mess, as there mixed stuff like games here and there when browsing with browse cursor. ALso there are some achievements / other things. How I am working with it? Just using my arrow keys and letter to find the game I want to play (if needed as everything is on my desktop and Steam is making shortcuts automatically) and using the steam window just to install games I've bought or didn't play for some time and wants to get back to something.

Twitter
Add me on Steam
Discord: lirintheblindguy
BattleTAG: Lirin#21759

2019-09-15 11:23:19

@Lirin, glad someone else is having a similar interface  problem. As I said when the list of games shows up I can navigate with screen review and hit enter on the games to play them, but I get no other functions at all from the client window, including player buttons, means to switch to the library or achievements or other windows, or anything else. I wouldn't mind this too much if launching the games this way or downloading them was vaguely consistant, but often that window doesn't show up, or, as happened recently, clicking on the game names activates some other random functions, or doesn't download games when I need it to.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-09-15 12:38:30

Well, I am using Steam client for downloading games without using screen review or chatting with friends / activating keys if I am purchasing something from other sources. The shop window in Steam is accessible, as it is changing the layout to the chromium style. BTW Steam is planning to make the whole steam like the shop or chat windows so the whole client will be 100% accessible pretty soon.

Twitter
Add me on Steam

2019-09-15 15:16:21

I heard that next tuesday there will be a huge update to the client. hope the client will be more accessible with that update that will be released.

going in to the wilds, collecting pokedex, and capturing them are my kind of thing,
training them, making them evolve, and generally making them stronger is my ultimate goal,
fighting other manamon tamers, winning the tournament, and fighting octoros are what these manamons like to do,
and ultimately, I become the master of mana!

2019-09-15 17:03:22

@Dark: I've tried launching games directly via the executables. You'll need to at least interact with the Steam interface to the point of logging in which you already are at this point, because even with that method the games call on SteamAPI.dll to check legitimacy. The most common reaction is either a bringing up of the Steam login prompt, or a fatal error that the game failed to initialize without Steam running. So, launching games directly with their executables is possible, but only if Steam is running.
Hopefully the above mentioned big update for Steam actually does! address the inaccessibility of the library and modernizes it.

2019-09-15 18:13:40

@Lirin I've never seen the shop or chat window, just the list of games as I described since I cannot get beyond that. Of course the website itself is accessible, which is a good thing.

@Jack, I have autologin set with the notewrite command for Steam. So long as I run the client with the  desktop shortcut then close the window, I can run games from the exe files, or indeed the exe file shortcuts I've made on the start menu no problem.

If not for the  autologin, I dread to think what the process would be like.

Better accessibility on the client would of course be awesome, but given Valve's less than stellar record in this area I'm not holding my breath.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-09-15 19:05:47

They're a bit hard to get into, but if you accidentally run into the chat or store windows of the steam client itself. You'll have an accessible layout that looks similar to the Steam website. This is, in theory, how everything should be. If Part of the reason Steam broke compatibility with Windows XP was to update its Chrome engine, because right now it's using a totally inaccessible, outdated version of the engine (we're talking before Chrome itself even became accessible, let alone Steam). And now they are practically sauntering through updating the web UI from a near decade-old solution.

2019-09-15 19:40:33 (edited by Dark 2019-09-15 19:42:11)

just what I'd expect from a bunch of lazy bastards who do not listen to comments, do not make games themselves and just prophet from the work of others.

I am only sorry that so many good  indi devs and their players are using this piece of corporate crap, then again that is pretty much how the world works now across almost all walks of life, greedy, uncreative morons at the top setting the rules, and everyone else having to go along with it.

Btw, I will gladly change my  opinion on Valve when I have a reason to, EG when they actually take accessibility seriously and listen to their players, but right now I still say bring on the bowel diseases big_smile.

2019-09-15 22:12:49

@Dark: Sadly, it's hard to get in touch with them. I've tried nearly everything, including petitions so We'll see what will happen. The Steam is just the best way to distribute games on Steam so I am not surprised most of the devs are doing that in this way. The newly released epic store (alternative to STeam) is just crap of piece! Totally. The client isn't accessible at all and I mean literally anything plus you can't manage stuff through website as you can with Steam so compared other platforms Steam is the best option for games.

Twitter
Add me on Steam

2019-09-15 22:37:39

It also doesn't hurt that again, it's basically the PSN/XBL of PC... friends, groups, achievements... it does basically everything you could want while playing. Hence why so many developers, both indie and big use it.

"You know nothing of death... allow me to teach you!" Dreadlich Tamsin
Download the latest version of my Bokura no Daibouken 3 guide here.

2019-09-15 23:06:29

Plus the problem with itch.io is there's no drm. Most reasonable developers would not take well to intrusive drm, but developers obviously don't want their game pirated, and unfortunately while morally there is or should be a lot standing in the way of someone daring to redistribute those games, from a technical standpoint there's nothing stopping that from happening. Problem is there is no dedicated drm solution that someone can just embed into their games, at least nothing good with a perpetual license. And unfortunately the world is slowly moving away from individual distribution of apps on the internet and information in general, so Dark is right in that we are essentially at the mercy of corporate shlobs who have nothing to lose, at least as far as they are concerned, if the program is inaccessible to a few users compared to their marketbase of millions.

2019-09-15 23:21:51

I agree with Jack here,, we're increasingly moving away from individual ownership and into centralised, heavily controlled  distribution schemes instead, with music, films, and of course with games, and sadly if that means accessibility goes bye bye then that is of little account to the share holders.

Still as I said, to refuse to buy things from Steam when that is the only alternative would be carrying protest a bit too far, albeit if Sequence storm had been released on Itch.io a little earlier I certainly would've bought it there rather than steam myself.

2019-09-16 16:39:04

Hi,
@Dark I noticed in one of your previous posts, you said that you'd inputted a command called no-twrite, with a t. Just a heads up, I'm wondering if this could be the problem, because the t is supposed to be a d, as in direct write, so it could be a simple typo here.

2019-09-16 17:28:04 (edited by Dark 2019-09-16 17:29:23)

@Aaron, sorry, my mistake.  the actual command on the shortcut (which I Copied from Pitermach's guide), is

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe" -no-dwrite -login darkthetenor my steam password.

I did double check this to make sure it was correct, since it occurred to me that might be the problem, but as far as I can see its what it should be.

2019-09-16 22:54:15

That should be it. Windows+up arrow will usually fullscreen your window to provide the best OCR results.

2019-09-16 23:24:22

There is something going on with dark's steam and i can't figure out what.
I have a clean steam UI on OCR and i can do a lot of things with the client, but dark's steam client is being shown super weird on his computer for some reason?
Does anyone know why?

twitter: @hadirezae3
discord: Hadi

2019-09-16 23:47:54

Actually Liren mentioned some of the same problems in terms of the interface. I've not tried windows up arrow though so I'll give that a go and see if it improves the ocr, though again as I'm at my parents on my laptop I'll have to wait until tomorrow.
Btw I'd rather not try installing steam on this machine since its only got 3 gb of ram, plus my parents have a quite slow net connection as well.

2019-09-17 02:04:07

3 GB is not that bad. I have STeam installed on my laptop with 2 GB and it's running fine.

Twitter
Add me on Steam

2019-09-17 23:41:36

Regarding all this.... What's the news in regards to the Steam client update that might be coming this week? I am really hoping there'll be some accessibility included, although I am also not getting my expectations *too high*.

2019-09-18 00:01:51

the beta is out. the library is now accessible, like the friends list. it gets a little bit to get used to it, but it's fine.

twitter: @hadirezae3
discord: Hadi

2019-09-18 00:33:06 (edited by jack 2019-09-18 00:43:54)

The stable client update that came out today has no accessibility changes, but the beta does. Unfortunately, to join the beta, you need to have sighted help, there's no two ways about it. Either that or good luck with ocr. Because the only way to turn on beta access and even get accessible Steam is through the Steam client.
I hereby redact my messages about Steam not having an open beta, but it is still quite ridiculous that you cannot easily turn this feature on.

2019-09-18 00:49:37

@Dark and all.
At long last, the Steam client finally! has some accessibility in the ui of the games library. After a few laps around the ui of the beta I can confirm that the beta works without the use of ocr. You'll still need your NVDA mouse movement commands, namely nvda+shift+m to route the mouse pointer to the review cursor, and your left and right click ckeyboard commands, but the text is finally readable and navigable with standard web navigation commands. There are a lot of clickable elements, but the nice thing is that you can use your screen reader find command in here to find text just like you would in a standard web page. So, after how many years? the essential function of locating and managing your games works. The installation screen is still not accessible yet but whether or not the game adds a desktop shortcut during install doesn't matter quite as much, as you are now able to do that in an accessible manner after the game is installed.