2021-03-31 21:34:43

This definitely sounds interesting and worth waiting no matter how long.
Thanks for your work and the initiative! It's quite impressive.

2021-03-31 22:01:30 (edited by Ethin 2021-03-31 22:05:01)

@24, point taken. I'll discuss it with the EDK2 developers once we get to that point. But that's a ways away right now and we shouldn't jump the gun. But you have a point and I hadn't considered that, just that I wanted high-quality speech.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2021-03-31 22:53:10

for hp users, this might not be available to us, because I dont think hp would eeven con it for a second, hp does not eeven update their b450 motherboards to support amd ryzen fifth gen, so why would they do it for aksessibility, hp is kinda stupid with this that they dont update their bios to support new stuf

Suffering's what keeps me alive.
If one never suffers, one doesn't live propperly.
So embrace the pain, the suffering life has brought you and will bring you in the future

2021-03-31 23:17:58

@27
yeah.  My concern is: you get all the way to a screen reader and are all ready to hand it to manufacturers and are all "just plug this in" and then all of this comes to a screeching halt because of that.  I don't think it's a problem from the perspective of anything you're doing now, but the only way to win this battle is if manufacturers don't have to try, spec or no spec.

I hate that espeak is GPL sometimes, which is part (though only a small part) of why I will eventually look into making my own.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2021-04-01 01:52:25

@29, yeah, I understand.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2021-04-02 18:02:02 (edited by criticview 2021-04-02 18:02:33)

The only main reason against anything except espeak is multilingual support. Keep in mind that uefi is not specific to the English language only.

<- criticview
   aka
   akilor ->
My folding at home statistics

2021-04-02 18:44:38

@31
Espeak's license forces any software incorporating it to be open source.  Chip vendors are likely not going to want to open source their UEFI, unless I don't understand how that market works.  If we want this we need to be able to just hand vendors a screen reader without additional legal burdens.

My Blog

2021-04-02 20:10:45

@32, EDK2 is sort-of the "reference implementation" of UEFI. Its where you go to get new UEFI services/protocols and stuff to be ratified to be in the specification, which is what I'm hoping to do here. Your correct in that the majority of chip vendors aren't going to open-source their UEFI implementations. The only place where this differs is if the vendor in question decides to use Coreboot and EDK2. Only then will they be using the open-source implementation.

My Github

2022-07-19 17:24:09

I am very, very sorry for doing this, but I really want to know, what happened to this? what's the progress?

I am a divine being. I can be called a primordial deity, but that might be pushing it, a smidge. I am the only one of my kind to have ten tails, with others having nine. I don't mean to sound arrogant, but I have ascended my own race.

2022-07-19 17:51:17 (edited by Agent47 2022-07-19 17:51:46)

@1 great!, one question, when this comes out, does A person need to do A bios updait, or is this going to be on all the new things without others getting to use it?, when it is done, it will shure make alot of jobs A kakewalk, I red that paper you talked about, seamed A good starting point

"But did you, in your three-piece psychology and 1950's technobrain,
ever take a look behind the eyes of the hacker?  Did you ever wonder what
made him tick, what forces shaped him, what may have molded him?"

2022-07-19 19:57:41

@35 Read through the entire topic. Your question has been answered a few times already.

Discord: dangero#0750
Steam: dangero2000
TWITCH
YOUTUBE and YOUTUBE DISCORD SERVER

2022-07-19 20:06:58 (edited by Ethin 2022-07-19 20:08:50)

@34, I honestly don't know how long this will take. It certainly isn't abandoned; I was even going to continue it with GSoC this year but something happened (yes, I followed up several times but got no response) and eventually Google emailed me telling me that my proposal had been rejected. I've been quite busy with job hunting, working on my resume, etc. this summer, so I haven't had time to deep-dive into it lately. I wish I had more time (and I wish there were more developers interested in it, TBH). Most of the people interested in it on the EDK2 mailing list are there to offer help and to watch its development; I've yet to see anyone else but myself bring it up, or offer to help, which isn't exactly motivating. I get that embedded systems programming is a bit of a niche, but I can't be the only person who's able to work on this. But sadly it seems like it. sad

My Github

2022-07-19 20:49:49

@Ethin Hey; I was wondering if I could reach out to you about a semi-related topic, because I had a few questions about software accessibility development. Is it OK if I reach out over Discord? Think I still have you on there but I can't remember your username. I'd know it if I saw it, but I can't remember it off the top of my head.

TWITCH

2022-07-19 21:14:24

@38, yep, you can. I'm pretty sure I have you as well so I can message you.

My Github

2022-07-20 09:22:06

@37, I understand. I hope it takes off in the near future..
on anoher note, I am using supernova to read this post and tuype it. it's really slow. I don't know how people could use this... oh well, back to nvda I go

I am a divine being. I can be called a primordial deity, but that might be pushing it, a smidge. I am the only one of my kind to have ten tails, with others having nine. I don't mean to sound arrogant, but I have ascended my own race.

2022-07-20 18:06:07

@Ethin I sent a message, unless I sent it to the wrong person.

TWITCH

2022-07-20 18:13:04

@41 I got it, will reply shortly

My Github

2022-07-20 21:09:10

Have you guys thought about including a standard windows/ linux/ whatever else configuration program?
For a bit some toshibas I used did this with.
1.  an old dos style real mode app.
2.  a windows control panel and or program that mirrored the toshiba model bios program.
I mean you can update the things from windows so why not configure them.
And while I wouldn't suggest standard users muck with all your extras and screw things up, the basic eufi interface in most systems I have worked with even some of the business ones withh friends can be as easy as a selection of things to a full menu app that looks like a standard windows word processer so I don't think it would be that hard to have a standard wwindows interface for something that is obviously fully configgured.
Obviously you'd need some safe limits.
For example anything critical, say fans, ram, whatever will never be able to have a value of 0, simple things like that.
Yes some systems do have apps for various things if you want but they are not accessible.
Also with the smart info on the pcs maybe something to read that info and even access monitoring of some of the systems for various things would be nice.

I mean I know you can get standard thirdparty apps but making it part of whatever would be nice.
For me a simple screen reader even if the speech was low quality like espeak would be fine.
You really wouldn't need that much.

2022-07-20 23:26:21

@43, we can't really do that. Particularly not for UEFI applications.

My Github

2022-07-20 23:52:39

I imagine that this has already been covered somewhere in this thread but even having sound isn't a given, and Uefi (and also bios for that matter) can only be edited once the OS is booted in very specific machine configurations and on systems which intentionally expose that.  Ethin would know more about the specific circumstances but there isn't some block of memory somewhere where you read and write magic numbers that we can write some Windows program for, on purpose because security.  The screen reader has to be added in at a lower level, and very little else--possibly nothing else--will work.

My Blog

2022-07-21 02:35:25 (edited by Ethin 2022-07-21 02:47:45)

@45, right, nothing else will work. Though UEFI makes available variables, which are kind of like environment variables, the ones that are specified within the UEFI specification are already editable on Linux. But the specification allows for vendors to expose their own variables. There's no way to write a program to modify firmware configuration because every vendor does things differently, and it would need to be an industry-wide collaboration to get anywhere. Editing firmware memory is also not an option: both UEFI and BIOS store data in multiple places (e.g.: BIOS stores its configuration on the CMOS, and UEFI stores its data in NVRAM and probably other hardware). Most of that hardware isn't even accessible to the kernel, and that hardware that is is locked so the kernel can't modify it anyway without resetting the system first. Take for example the configuration for Intel/AMD virtualization. This configuration is actually stored on the CPU every time the system boots, in what is known as a model-specific register, or MSR. I'll try and avoid going into extremely technical detail, but the processor contains two instructions to modify these MSRs, both of which can only be executed by firmware, operating system kernels, and the like. The particular MSR that controls virtualization features has what is known as a lock bit. When the firmware sets the new virtualization configuration, it also sets this lock bit, which prohibits modification of that MSR until the system is restarted. If the kernel, or anything else, attempts to modify that MSR, the processor will throw an error your way (on Linux, you'll receive this as a signal). You can read the MSR to determine the configuration if the OS exposes that functionality or you manage to run kernel level code, but modifying it is out of the question. Not all firmware sets this lock bit, but 99 percent of the time its set. So as you can tell, firmware configuration is far more complicated than "lets just write a Windows/Mac/Linux program to change it". A lot more happens that you just don't see, and most of that is locked or otherwise inaccessible to anything but the firmware.
You might ask, "Well, why can't we just modify the firmware configuration?" And again, that question has already been answered: there's no way to determine what to modify, or even where it is. If I change a variable that your firmware exposes, I have no idea what that change will do, and manufacturers don't exactly document that because 99 percent of people aren't going to hack the firmware to figure out how it works. Its like asking me to write a program to change your computers environment variables in a nice, friendly way, with descriptions and all: there's no way to know what environment variable does what, and so the only ones that this hypothetical program could change would be those that are documented. All the others would need to be documented first, and since any program can set environment variables, that's just never happening. The only difference between environment variables and firmware variables is that its the vendor of your computer who's doing the variable setup. I won't ramble on and tell you how all of this works, since I doubt most of you are interested in that, though if you are you can PM me and we can talk more about it. But yeah, nothing but firmware-level accessibility is going to work and give you the ability to tinker with your system configuration, because only the firmware can give you that kind of access. Some vendors have written programs that you can run on, say, Windows, but those are vendor-specific and there's no way to make a universal tool.

My Github

2022-07-21 04:06:51

I'm curious now. What's that thing on Linux that let's you change some of these settings. Is it UEFI or Bios or something different altogether. I've noticed that there are certain settings you're able to change, and whatever lets you change those things, I think it's only on Linux.

TWITCH

2022-07-21 04:59:50

@47, your thinking of efibootmgr and efivar. There's also /dev/cpu/cpunum/msr, but you don't want to mess with that unless you know what your doing because you could easily crash your system or otherwise make it unstable (or cause all kinds of other weirdness). Thankfully you have to access that file as root, but even still, to my knowledge Linux (and maybe the BSDs) are the only OSes that let you access potentially dangerous functions like that openly.

My Github

2022-07-21 05:17:16

Ah, gotcha. Thanks for the info. I think I needed to do something with that at one point, but I can't remember anymore.

TWITCH