2019-09-03 05:46:06 (edited by daigonite 2020-01-19 20:07:19)

Hey there everyone.

I've been busy building out maxseer. A couple of changes I decided to make in the meantime:

- maxseer won't be limited to being an accessibility toolkit, but will be part of a larger open source environment that will give developers an alternative to closed source, bundled middleware kits like Game Maker.
- various parts of this engine, including maxseer, will be released as open source modules.
- I'll probably be changing the license since they're modules to something a bit more GPL-ish. This restricts how future versions of the modules are produced, but any software that uses the modules can use so freely (I'm still working on it).

A major reason for this shift is because I want to encourage a style of development that moves away from closed source compartmentalization and allow for end users to change these modules around if they need to. For accessibility this is a huge bonus because any game that uses maxseer can have its maxseer module exchanged for custom ones. The potential for this module-based engine is quite huge in general but I think it has a unique advantage that finally puts accessibility in the hands of the people instead of just some random devs.

Anyways here is the demo, repo and other things so you can sink your teeth into this work. (Please note that the dev tool for generating levels is NOT blind accessible, but you can create your own levels by modifying the XML for now):

Direct link: https://gitlab.com/labadore64/max.visio … elease.zip
Repo: https://gitlab.com/labadore64/max.vision

Right now, maxseer in its current state could (crudely) be placed over quite a few top-down games and add a much more integrated level of accessibility, but it's still in its early stages and needs cleaning up. But the potential the project has is quite high.

A few things I have planned:

- Adding a sound effect that indicates when a hallway is detected, and if a warp is reachable down this hallway, it will alert the player. For now, you will hear as you walk along a wall, the sound will suddenly go quiet as you walk across a hallway.
- Just... not using XNA's crappy audio engine lol and cleaning up 3D sounds. They work but they're wonky.
- Cleaning up pathfinding, it works well when it works, but it has some limitations and I haven't tested it super thoroughly with lots of collisions.
- The ability to rotate the player's head.
- Optimization fixes

Obviously since this project is open source and BSD you can do whatever you want with the source as long as you keep the license along with it.

you like those kinds of gays because they're gays made for straights

2019-09-03 14:58:17

I really enjoyed the demo. Even in it's current state, it looks like maxseer has a lot of potential. I do want to report that most of the text was read through system tts, but every now and again, a string or two would be read by NVDA instead. Maybe I was pressing something to switch them, but I'm not sure. The wall system is great. (and nice on the ears in my opinion even though they are represented by constant tones) I was able to find my way around for the most part, but I had a hard time understanding the pathfinder. What would it take to begin looking into placing this on top of an existing game?

Trying to free my mind before the end of the world.

2019-09-03 16:23:36

In my testing, all speech came through using NVDA just fine. Windows 7 64 bit.

I've been going by Bryn, which is now reflected in my profile. Please do your best to respect this :) Mess ups are totally OK though, I don't mind and totally understand!
Follow on twitter! @ItsBrynify
Thanks, enjoy, thumbs up, share, like, hate, exist, do what ya do,
my website: brynify.me

2019-09-04 00:16:55 (edited by daigonite 2019-09-04 00:23:12)

I do want to report that most of the text was read through system tts, but every now and again, a string or two would be read by NVDA instead. Maybe I was pressing something to switch them, but I'm not sure.

This is because of a known bug in NVDA that causes it to not say text if you're pressing down on certain keys. Since most NVDA applications are based on key presses instead of key holds (like moving around a room), this usually doesn't cause any issues. As a workaround, it switches to SAPI. I will reach out to the NVDA developers when the max-engine gains more momentum.

I was able to find my way around for the most part, but I had a hard time understanding the pathfinder

The pathfinder is a bit broken. Basically, it makes a grid where there are collisions and forms a path if it can find one. However, sometimes it makes the grid incorrectly and can't find paths properly. When it does make a path properly, you can hear it move away from you in a certain direction. When you follow the path, it makes a constant steady tone, but when you move against the path it makes a more jagged tone.

I tested the pathfinder last night and found some areas (especially in the Foyer) have issues with the pathfinder so I'll be investigating that on the next release.

What would it take to begin looking into placing this on top of an existing game?

In this example, when data is read from the XML file, it creates two kinds of data:
- Maxseer info data
- Map data (if necessary).

Lets look at collisions as an example since they're used by both. The object that stores the collision data before being loaded onto the map is here:

https://gitlab.com/labadore64/maxseer/b … ionData.cs

Collisions in maxseer only need polygons to define their boundaries so it loads the same polygon data as the collision does, and it creates the collision and adds the maxseer collision at the time of being loaded. Likewise, when the map is unloaded, maxseer's map data is cleared.

Also, maxseer's listener position is updated whenever the player changes position:

https://gitlab.com/labadore64/maxseer/b … er.cs#L122

While this demo is very simple, you could add these components to any object. For example, lets say you have objects defined in an xml file, you could add a property that allows you to add a label onto that object, so every time that object is spawned, a maxseer label is also spawned. There is a lot of parameters that allow the end user to customize behaviour, such as whether or not labels are added to the navigation menu, ect. Then, when a dev creates an object, he just has to add its accessible name and description, and bam, the label is loaded with the object.

Also, devs can define their own maxseer classes for custom interfaces if they need to, by inheriting the maxseer interfaces. In fact the SoundController is an interface so that it can be redesigned with a custom engine.

So basically, devs take their currently existing collision data shapes and transform it into an array of polygons, and feed those polygons into the maxseer engine, to load the collisions.

2019-09-04 06:41:16

This seems like it is becoming more of a game engine and less like a toolkit. How exactly are you going to get rid of that game engine-ish feel? A lot of the content you have in Maxseer is in a game engine and will most likely be in those engines already.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2019-09-04 07:51:11 (edited by daigonite 2019-09-04 07:55:25)

Maxseer is not a game engine by itself, it's a module that builds a map with features loaded from a game engine (such as collision data) to automate accessibility features regarding navigation. Also it had an input manager which comes with keybinding out of the box.
So basically it automates certain accessibility functions and has out of the box tools for various needs.

It has a small game in the repo it's attached to. It actually imports it as a nuget package.

What I'm doing is building a game, and converting certain parts of it into modules, maxseer is the first one. People can attach these modules to their project and interface with them through their code.

More importantly though, because the modules are not part of the engine's source code, custom modules can be built and as long as they contain the same methods they can be used for all sorts of custom purposes. This has nearly unlimited potential for certain accessibility problems. For example, of you wanted to customize inputs, you just need to make a custom version of maxseer that accommodates these inputs and allows the user to define these functions instead of the engine.

Also, a major difference from most game engines is that the released components are open source, but I'm still debating on the exact license. It's actually very different from most game engines because it's designed as a bunch of parts to be assembled or even attached to other engines.

A major reason why I'm doing this is a startling level of lack of ability to build games without depending on Middleware software, along with the high modding potential games made with these components.

The demo is just an example of how to implement maxseer into a game. The demo is not really for release but I made the source code available for reference.

2020-01-28 00:30:54

sorry to bring back this topic, but...
will this work on 32bit systems?

I am a divine being. I can be called a primordial deity, but that might be pushing it, a smidge. I am the only one of my kind to have ten tails, with others having nine. I don't mean to sound arrogant, but I have ascended my own race.