2019-08-20 17:01:10

So, I'm taking a Cyber security class in school. Great, right?
Nope. They use wireshark, which is not really accessible.
Why can't I just install Chark (the command line version of wireshark)?
I would, except that the school uses a website with a virtual machine already preconfigured with wireshark and I don't believe we can install any other tools on it.
Suggestions, tips, and ideas are greatly welcomed and wanted as to what to do and or how to proceed.

2019-08-20 19:04:20

I'm asuming you've already talked to someone who might have the ability to change things for you? Cause if not, do that!
If your in the U.S, they legally have to provide materials and make things accessible for you, but that's a loose thing and schools like to argue around it so they don't have to pay money, but I believe your extra program is free. They would simply have to monitor it to make sure it wasn't harmfull or anything.

If they refuse to help you, then your just screwed, unless you can think of a way to use the original program.

One solution is too bring your own computer. But that might also not work depending on what the dependincies of the grades in the class are.

----------
“Yes, sir. I am attempting to fill a silent moment with non-relevant conversation.”
“You don’t tell me how to behave; you’re not my mother!”
“Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.” – Data (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

2019-08-20 19:29:31

What I'd just do is leave your computer at home connected to nvda remote, then install nvda remote on your school computer and connect to it. I've done that a lot at school.

2019-08-20 21:14:08

@3: nvda remote with out nvda? That wouldn't work, now would it?
@1: If you are truely in the U.s and they refuse to let you install tcharc, then get a lawer. Remember that those are your rights and they must oblige them. Don't let them stomp upon your head like you're a rat just because you are blind and they are not, fight to the last tueth, to the last breath, to the last nail.

2019-08-20 21:24:12

I would asume it would have nvda installed, although it's true a lot of school machines have jaws just because that's all they know about, still downloading NVDA and installing it wouldn't be a difficult thing to do even on a vm.

2019-08-21 04:16:31

To clarify, the virtual machine will be online. I will be going onto a website from a school PC with NVDA installed and use in an environment to do all the work in.  That’s why I said it was out of our control when it comes to installing packages and/or extra tools because the virtual machine itself is on a website.

2019-08-21 04:22:21

You might want to ask for a teaching assistant who can help you. I finished my network management classes by doing so. My assistant read the routing diagram and IP addresses, then I routed as instructed using my computer console. If you're unable to read wireshark outputs and controlling it, you could tell your assistant to do blah blah blah and listen to the output.

I don't speak as good as I write, and I don't listen as good as I speak.

2019-08-21 04:26:55

Does the vm not allow permanent changes to the filesystem? If it does, open a terminal and type sudo apt install tcharc.

2019-08-21 05:54:37

Wireshark is accessible -- at least on Windows -- though I haven't ran a full packet sniff operation with it. The UI, from what I gathered, was accessible a year or so ago. It should've remained that way unless they majorly changed things.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2019-08-21 12:34:07

@9: O n windows 10 with the lattest version of nvda, wireshark lost accesibility again:)