2009-05-30 14:09:19

How would i make it so that my firewall does not block vip mud from allowing me to connect to online muds? When i try a quick connect or character setup, it say that you were unable to connect to, then the name of the mud. I am assuming this is because of my firewall?

2009-05-30 20:19:31

Test it first by turning off the windows firewall, through the setting in your control panel.

If this helps then you can at your option either leave the firewall off, or turn it back on and add VIP as an exception.

If you have a firewall other than the windows firewall installed, perhapsa s part of some security suite, then you will have to work out how to do it in your specific software I'm afraid.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2009-05-30 20:53:11

thanks

2009-05-31 10:31:01

Did that help, or is it a problem with your firewall program, if you have one?

What you're looking at is subhuman. It's not normal. Focus on yourself.

2009-05-31 15:10:18

i still can't onnect. Looks like no mudding for me

2009-05-31 16:02:24

Drago, what sort of connection do you have?

If your running through any sort of network or server, it's possible that's blocking specific ports, ----- as well as the security issues.

when i lived in Colidge, their security system made it impossible for me to connect to almost anything, ----- this included the vip gameszone peer to peer connection, any sort of Mud and (weerdly enough), file streaming with any program other than windows media player.

I've had no problems connecting with bog standard windows xp firewall settings, so if your having trouble, it must be somewhere else.

don't despare!

I'm certainly not going to with my sapi issue.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2009-06-01 20:07:59

i use vista wireless with no filter or anything. Just a simple wireless connection.

2009-06-01 21:54:12

Wireless connection to what? Is it a normal home ISP type connection, or one at a college or university etc. That is what Dark was getting at. A wireless link on its own can't provide internet access.

Also check whether you have any security software installed, like I said a third party firewall might be doing this.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2009-06-03 22:18:02

its a home computer wireless thing. And i don't know computers. how do i check for third party firewall thing?

2009-06-03 23:05:51

Check your start menu and your add/remove programs box, don't remove anything but see if anything appears that might be some kind of firewall or other security software. Sometimes you get packages which combine antivirus with a fiwewall, such as norton internet security.

cx2
-----

2009-06-07 17:04:49

vergion broad band pguard

2009-06-07 18:05:57

Hmm.

Do you mean virgin broadband PCGuard?

Just trying to decipher.

Maybe see if there are any settings, and if so try adding your mud client as an allowed program. If at all possible set it to allow on any port to any IP, unless it doesn't ask for these two details.

cx2
-----

2009-06-19 21:04:27

i do mean pc guard

2009-06-20 09:52:44

Try seeing if you can change the settings in that, it might well be the thing that's causing you problems. Sadly I can't tell you how because I've never used it myself.

If you can then open the appropriate port, but outgoing only. Do not open any ports incoming. It might or might not require you to specify the application for which this applies.

cx2
-----

2009-06-21 00:06:41

thanks