2019-08-08 16:05:26 (edited by Sightless Kombat 2019-08-08 16:06:22)

Managed to beat New Girl, though I'm really not sure how I managed it.  am now on Calculated Risk and I'm starting to wonder whether it's the AI that's too good, given that once you're in 6th, it seems almost impossible to catch the AI.  Could this be something to do with the accessibility modes/assists?

Also, would be great to know what the order of the missions are given that they're in a grid and they seem to have an order of sorts.  Really enjoying this so far, keep up the great work and I look forward to seeing where this goes.  Would be great to see the level editor become accessible eventually as well.

Regards,
Sightless Kombat.
***If you wish to refer to me in @replies, use Sightless***

2019-08-08 16:47:16

Awesome work on the game so far, thank you so much for incorproating all of these accessibility features! I'll probably be streaming this game with a friend later this week if internet decides to behave and nothing comes up. smile

For anyone on the fence because of Steam, I just wrote an up to date guide how to use it. I'd be interested to hear from people who have just started out with Steam if it gave you any trouble, when doing some research and testing for this guide I realised thigns got much more accessible since I signed up years ago.

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2019-08-08 16:54:38

Upgrading your racer and changing the order of points around can make the difference between losing and winning races/completing objectives, just saying.  It's a shame the prices for stat points are so steep at present.  One suggestion is that higher tier completions should give greater credit pay-outs, especially considering you can't earn anything from Arcade.

Really liking the story as well, even if some of the tracks seem overly hard.  It's also a shame there's no way to tell how many missions have been completed without counting them, possibly remedied via a number on the mission screen (mission selection, 30 out of 60 completed) for instance.

All in all though, I'm enjoying challenging myself with certain missions on ultra difficulty.

Regards,
Sightless Kombat.

2019-08-08 18:02:54

Is trading games on steam possible?

Hopefully, we'll get a fully accessible open world game someday.

2019-08-08 18:24:28

No, I don't think so. Gifting games is, i.e someone could gift the game to you, but as far as I know no trades, no refunds.

2019-08-08 18:32:01 (edited by musicalman 2019-08-08 18:37:40)

BoundTo wrote:

I've been considering doing some audio recordings of the game just for the fun of it to show off certain levels or aspects if there is any interest.

I was thinking the same as well. I'd be interested if you did recordings.

BoundTo wrote:

There are subtle sounds for when your power and health meters change. I believe you lose health by missing notes, being burned, and maybe hitting barriers?

I notice the power change sound with the music turned down. It sounds like a short motor sound on the right channel. The health sound I only hear occasionally though, if at all. I'm probably just not aware of it.

BoundTo wrote:

The audio cues 2 mode is a lot more challenging in my opinion. It mirrors the visual mode more closely, but it requires some pretty intense reaction speeds even on the easiest missions. I haven't managed to get very far using it myself, but that might just be a lack of skill on my part.

Yeah I agree. The concern I had with audio cues 2 is that in the tutorials, it gives you visual directions, to the point where if you had no clue how to play the game, you'd be completely lost. I'm kinda concerned that there will be more accessibility-related challenges on audio cues 2, so that's why I brought it up. As a concept, it's cool, if not brutally hard. And I haven't gotten very far in the missions with audio cues 2. But yeah you need insane reaction time on those.

After writing my last post I tried some missions on ultra. And, uh, wow. They terrify me but in a good way. I think you have to upgrade your rig to get past some of the missions on the harder difficulties too, which gives you more incentive to keep playing. And on audio cues 2`, forget it. Anything above the easiest setting and you might as well memorize the track because reaction time wont' get you through afaik. Also arcade mode on higher difficulties is fun (currently on medium but I'm guessing harder ones can be unlocked later).

Make more of less, that way you won't make less of more!
If you like what you're reading, please give a thumbs-up.

2019-08-08 19:18:36

can someone point me to a topick which will help me get Steam setup to work with NVDA.
thank you.

2019-08-08 19:45:04

@diego check post 102. I literarly wrote how to use steam with screen readers a few hours ago.

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2019-08-08 20:20:28 (edited by stewie 2019-08-08 20:27:12)

What is the "Show ghosts" setting in the arcade mode screen?

Also what is the order of judgments? I thought the best type would be synchronized but I'm not entirely sure.

Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.

2019-08-08 21:32:49

From what I understand, synchronized judgment means your timing is perfect, or at least very close. Great judgment is almost perfect. Good judgment is decent timing, and bad judgment is if you hit the wrong key. A miss is if you don't hit a key at all when you're supposed to. Synchronized notes make you speed up and power up faster, so accuracy counts when you need to win a race or beat a time limit.

2019-08-08 21:38:43

So here's the thing about audio cues 2, dev can correct me if I'm wrong. I think the reason it's so difficult is simply because when you're looking at the track, you can see whatever's coming up on the track from a distance. so by the time that right trigger promp comes up in the rhythm, you already know that's what you must do cause you saw it a while earlier. Since we're dealing with audio here, that isn't really possible. or at least, not easily. One way would be to throw all the sounds at us simultaneously as they come up, and have us figure out where they go in the rhythm, but unless they have logical beats in which they appear, that'll probably make it even harder. hahaha. I suggested on Twitter for a way to remove the confirmation audio cues in options menu. I think that'll make it easier as we won't constantly be listening to them on the following beat, which just adds to the confusion. I'd even consider turning them off in the listen and react mode, as I feel I don't really need them. I think the crashing sounds are enough to tell us, ok I messed up real good.

2019-08-08 21:52:00

Ah, so their is a level editor, yeah, I'd be down for checking that out.  Also @111 I really like that idea of being able to turn off the confirmation reverse beats.

2019-08-08 21:56:58

I think that should be a toggle, so if you're new to the game you can have them on and then if you're done, you can just turn them off.

2019-08-08 23:25:17 (edited by stewie 2019-08-08 23:26:19)

Yeah I find the confirmation beats distracting, I think they should be a toggle. I have forgotten what note I was meant to press because I got distracted by the barrage of 10 or so confirmation sounds on a harder track. To clarify I'm referring to the sounds that play as the perfect timing to hit a note approaches, like the inverted sounds that sound similar to the note you are supposed to hit.

Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.

2019-08-09 01:12:08

Hi,
I was chatting to a blind friend earlier and they said that if you replay a mission in story mode, it does not bring up the stor again. I find this choice rather odd particularly as when the story first comes up, there's an option to skip it anyway. So, why doesn't the story come up again later if you replay a mission? Could a toggle be added to display it, particularly, as said earlier, there's an option to skip the story during that sequence anyway?

2019-08-09 01:31:17

I have just uploaded version 1.1.5h

- Added chimes that sound to indicate when the track is about to turn, or when straight sections start.
- Added an option to use the clipboard for narration instead of SAPI.
- Added a sound effect to the damaging barriers found in some missions.
- Added an option to disable the reverse confirmation audio cues, in the audio cues menu.
- Increased the volume of the health and power indicators.

-----

I'll try to respond to some comments, I'm sorry if I miss anything.

You can replay the story dialog by pressing F5 or the X button.  That narration is still missing.  I am planning on reworking the mission screen narration a bit and then I will fix that.

Audio cues 2 is really just an experiment.  I don't have enough reaction time to play it well, but if I increase the delay between the cue and the button press, then it becomes too confusing.

The show ghosts option shows the positions of steam leaderboard entries, but leaderboards aren't supported in the audio modes (yet?)

There are still some balance issues where rival racers do better in the audio cues mode because there are fewer notes overall, and so fewer chances for them to miss notes.  Also, the hyper drift ability doesn't quite give you as much speed as it should in audio cues mode again because there are fewer notes to gain speed from.  However, it isn't a very big or insurmountable problem.

The game is not likely to come to platforms other than Steam on Windows.  There might be a chance of coming to another storefront, but there isn't much chance of coming to a platform other than Windows.  I don't have the resources to do that.

For 90% of the moving barriers, you can dodge them by hugging the wall, except for possibly one cheeky instance.  In "Mia Green Is Missing" hitting a barrier usually means failing unless you can immediately boost to catch up.

New Girl is where you need to more smartly use boost and hyper.  Boost during straights and hyper through turns.  Hopefully the chimes added in the last update will help to hear when you should use each ability.  Memorizing the layout of the track is a huge benefit, even for sighted players.  This aspect of the game aims to exercise the same kind of muscle memory that you get from normal racing games.

2019-08-09 01:59:11

The change log says that the health/power indicators were made louder, but I still haven't heard them so I don't know what I'm looking out for and nothing obvious jumps out at me.

2019-08-09 02:29:17 (edited by Shadowcat 2019-08-09 03:55:44)

@special magic games I'm sure I'm not just speaking for myself here, but I really love what you're doing for the accessibility of the game. The fact that these things are basically being added like days apart makes it even more impressive. Your work is greatly appreciated.
@pitermach, I'm just wondering if you'd happen to know why -no-dwrite is still not working? I've checked my icon several times, it's exactly as written. But I still can't actually read anything using NVDA, for whatever reason. Not that OCR isn't available, so it's really just a minor inconvenience. But if you know of a fix, I'd greatly appreciate the help.

"You know nothing of death... allow me to teach you!" Dreadlich Tamsin
Download the latest version of my Bokura no Daibouken 3 guide here.

2019-08-09 08:39:54

Hi @special magic games.
Thanks for your answer.
I asked if the game might come to other platforms as well because of the following:
At the moment, I only have access to Windows from my Mac by using a virtual machine. There is some lag on the soundcard, which makes it difficult to play rhythm games. I haven't had time to try the demo version yet, but will give it a try as soon as possible. Are there some settings which let me calibrate the game regarding to the lag? If yes, then it might not be an issue which would be totally amazing...

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2019-08-09 12:25:36

Hello all,
So I'm having a slight problem with this game and I was wondering if anyone might have any suggestions.
I'm running a windows seven computer with this game.
the game loads fine, plays fine.
However, whenever I need to try the level again, and or move on to the next level the game crashes for no reason.
I then have to alt f4, close the program entirely and relaunch it before playing it once more.
Keep in mind, I am using the demo version currently.
Please let me know if you have any suggestions.
Thanks!!!

"Hope is the thing with feathers that perches with in the soul, that sings the tune without the words and never stops at all."
Emily Dickenson

2019-08-09 14:11:07 (edited by Sightless Kombat 2019-08-09 17:26:56)

I'm now stuck on Hours To Live and a prominent issue that was previously present only in small doses has come up time and time again: I can't always hyperdrift when I need to, with efforts to do so sometimes registering as a boost even with the quickest tap.  I'm not sure how best to resolve this other than by possibly allowing drift to be one button and boost to be a different one, or requiring the hold for boost to be longer.

Also, out of curiosity, why does drift have two sound cues and how long does it take to activate the effect in-game?  The reason I ask is because I want to optimise my drifting so I don't keep failing the mission.

Edit: Discovered that if you turn on tap to speed boost, a dedicated drift button become available.  I'll play about with this and see what happens.
Edit 2: After playing around with this configuration for a little, it does make more sense.  However, the chart itself (I personally feel) is too challenging for standard difficulty when taking into account the need to heal up with an effect that isn't instantaneous and removes a couple of notes of a phrase, making it very difficult to perform reliably.

My potential method of getting around this isn't necessarily to reduce the notes, though that would assist in alleviating some of the stress, but instead just making hyperdrift an instant activation, maybe having it last slightly longer as well would be a good idea.

It's such a shame that, after having so much enjoyment with this game I've seemingly hit a brick wall that neither my skills nor my upgrades can allow me to pass, but hopefully I manage to get past this stage soon.

Thanks to SpecialMagicGames for informing me of the F5 key being able to be used to replay story segments, that's pretty useful.  Would be good if that was mentioned somewhere but hopefully that's patched in at some point.

Keep up the great work on the game.

Regards,
Sightless Kombat.

2019-08-09 15:22:11

SilverMoon wrote:

Hello all,
So I'm having a slight problem with this game and I was wondering if anyone might have any suggestions.
I'm running a windows seven computer with this game.
the game loads fine, plays fine.
However, whenever I need to try the level again, and or move on to the next level the game crashes for no reason.
I then have to alt f4, close the program entirely and relaunch it before playing it once more.
Keep in mind, I am using the demo version currently.
Please let me know if you have any suggestions.
Thanks!!!

Can you please send your log files to [email protected]?  The logs folder will open if you press F1 at the title screen.

2019-08-09 15:28:45

SLJ wrote:

Hi @special magic games.
Thanks for your answer.
I asked if the game might come to other platforms as well because of the following:
At the moment, I only have access to Windows from my Mac by using a virtual machine. There is some lag on the soundcard, which makes it difficult to play rhythm games. I haven't had time to try the demo version yet, but will give it a try as soon as possible. Are there some settings which let me calibrate the game regarding to the lag? If yes, then it might not be an issue which would be totally amazing...

You can calibrate the input lag.  At the score screen, if you played consistently enough, you can press F1 to get more information, and the last item reported should be your average timing offset.  Then in settings, there is an option to offset the judgement timing.

2019-08-09 15:33:52 (edited by musicalman 2019-08-09 16:33:29)

Responding to a few people here.
@Stewie
I don't know how much louder the sounds were made, but it's not a large amount. I can hear them though with the music at a decent volume, where as before it was a struggle. I'm not sure if I'm just more aware of them or if they were in fact made louder. The boost power noise is a short car motor sound in the right channel that increases in pitch when you complete patterns. The health bar is a subtle ping in the left channel. You only hear it if you miss notes. To hear these sounds more clearly, turn the music down and try the new order track (it's the slowest and on beginner difficulty the patterns start off as child's play so you can hear what's going on if you hit and miss notes). And make sure you set the mode of the game to speed. If you use score, you won't hear health or powerup sounds, as the goal in score mode is to simply get the best note accuracy you can.
@BlindNinja I couldn't agree more with your complements. Great job, Special Magic Games!
@slj, yes you can adjust the game to account for the responsiveness of your sound card. On my default sound card, I have it set to -125, but on another sound card I tried so I could easily show the game to a friend on Team Talk, I had to set it to +50 before I could get similar performance, even though both soundcards have a similar response during normal computer use. I don't know what's going on but the setting is there. I haven't tried with a vm, though. Since those have a lot of inherent lag in the sound, you might have a harder time just because of that.
@Sightless Kombat, I don't have those issues with hyperdrift yet, but I'll check out the posibility of having separate keys since I wouldn't mind that either. The hyperdrift seems to take about a second to start up, during which time I don't think you can hit notes though they'll still show up on the track. After that second is up, you can hit notes again. Each note hit during the hyperdrift will extend it slightly. So what I normally do is, when I want to use a hyperdrift, I do it as the game is giving me a new pattern. This way I don't miss notes, and can use the notes I was just given to boost my hyperdrift. The hyperdrift can't be infinite though... it still fizzes out after a short time, but I can confirm that collecting notes does hold it longer. You can hear where the hyperdrift is at by a robotic motor sound in the right channel. The lower it is, the more depleted the hyperdrift is, and the faster it declines. When you collect notes, you'll hear that decline temporarily lessen for a fraction of a second.
HTH

2019-08-09 15:40:41

Sightless Kombat wrote:

I'm now stuck on Hours To Live and a prominent issue that was previously present only in small doses has come up time and time again: I can't always hyperdrift when I need to, with efforts to do so sometimes registering as a boost even with the quickest tap.  I'm not sure how best to resolve this other than by possibly allowing drift to be one button and boost to be a different one, or requiring the hold for boost to be longer.

Also, out of curiosity, why does drift have two sound cues and how long does it take to activate the effect in-game?  The reason I ask is because I want to optimise my drifting so I don't keep failing the mission.

Edit: Discovered that if you turn on tap to speed boost, a dedicated drift button become available.  I'll play about with this and see what happens.
Edit 2: After playing around with this configuration for a little, it does make more sense.  However, the chart itself (I personally feel) is too challenging for standard difficulty when taking into account the need to heal up with an effect that isn't instantaneous and removes a couple of notes of a phrase, making it very difficult to perform reliably.

My potential method of getting around this isn't necessarily to reduce the notes, though that would assist in alleviating some of the stress, but instead just making hyperdrift an instant activation, maybe having it last slightly longer as well would be a good idea.

It's such a shame that, after having so much enjoyment with this game I've seemingly hit a brick wall that neither my skills nor my upgrades can allow me to pass, but hopefully I manage to get past this stage soon.

Thanks to SpecialMagicGames for informing me oof the F5 key being able to be used to replay story segments, that's pretty useful.  Would be good if that was mentioned somewhere but hopefully that's patched in at some point.

Keep up the great work on the game.

Hi.  I find that putting 3 stat points into health makes the mission much easier, and in fact it can be beaten without using hyper at all if you hit the notes well enough.  The numbing module item can help a bit.  There is also a damage shield item that can be unlocked after you complete the chain of missions that starts with not too dangerous and flaming rigs.

You can also use the dedicated hyper button without needing to turn on the tap to speed boost option.

As far as the note pattern difficulty, it only goes up and up from there.