2019-07-22 00:06:50

With the recent release of Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, I am in the mood  to play some game set in the marvel universe. However, for one reason or another, the above game is probably not going to be playable, and its prequel has puzzle elements and quick time event bosses which means also not fully playable. Thus, my question is, what are some playable, and most importantly, completeable games set in the marvel universe, mainstream or otherwise? Some obvious examples include the marvel versus series by capcom, x-men arcade by Konami, maybe the spiderman and venum series on snes and mega drive, maybe marvel nemesis rise of the imperfect, though the lack of voice acting and cutscenes in the psp version hurts the game. Probably x-men mutant academy on psx is playable. So, what am I missing, and what have you discovered? Describe your findings and experiences here!

2019-07-22 08:45:59

There is x-men next dimension for the PS2. This one is a 3d fighting game, and the game has a lengthy campaign mode unlike in X-men mutant academy series for the PS1.
Another game that is playable is guardians of the galaxy the telltale series, however the game is not for everyone else, unless if you want to play it by trial and error and some patience, especially in explorations parts or solving puzzles.
Another one that you should try is marvel VS capcom infinite. Although it’s a crossover universe, there are so many marvel characters, also this is the first game in the MVC series to feature a story mode.

going in to the wilds, collecting pokedex, and capturing them are my kind of thing,
training them, making them evolve, and generally making them stronger is my ultimate goal,
fighting other manamon tamers, winning the tournament, and fighting octoros are what these manamons like to do,
and ultimately, I become the master of mana!

2019-07-22 11:10:18

I mean, Spider-man and Venom: Maximum Carnage (Genesis / SNES) is sorta playable, in the sense that most of it is an isometric beatemup, but I've found the audio way less helpful, and the AI way less predictable, when compared to other beatemups. And there are the platforming sections where you need to follow your Spidey Sense, which is only depicted visually. The climbing / webbing bits are also highly visual, due to the background you're climbing on having gaps and barriers that you must account for. Some games I played when I had some vision have remained semi-acceptably playable after losing it, but this one was hit pretty hard.
I can play the X-men games for Genesis, but mostly because I still remember the layouts from when I could see them. The Danger Room portions are on a time limit, so not being able to find your way around it isn't too terrible. Jean Grey will save you if you fall in pits, making it more forgiving than most platformers. But then there are all the shenanigans with switches, and bosses who move around pseudorandomly, and even with the vOICe, these days I can't get far past Zalidain.
I tried X-men Legends, and couldn't make sense of crap. That's more or less the game that killed my likelyhood to care about new games.
If you want to use cheats, X-men 2: Clonewars for the Genesis has 3 codes that might make it interesting: invincibility, level skip, and changing characters whenever you want. There's supposedly a "walk through walls" code, but I never got it to work (but also never tried that hard). Most levels in this game are complex platforming expeditions, but some bossfights are basically you in an arena with the boss, like a crappy fighting game. (Magneto and Apocolypse take forever to beat, and the audio for their fights is very unclear. Magneto in particular does vocalize when he's hit, but inconsistently, and he has a crapton of health, making that fight tedious and strenuous.) Mostly, I imagine the first boss of the final level might be one of the more playable fights, and people might have fun just trying out the different characters in some of the levels with more playable intros. (The first level opens with you being shot at by tanks, which are actually kinda easy to fight if you can figure out the distance. Psylock's mutant power does nothing to them, though. ... Crap, it seems like most of the enemies early on are mechanical, making her power almost useless. sad )
I think I have recordings of me trying to play the Genesis games, somewhere. Not sure how long it'd take to find / upload them.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2019-07-22 13:50:55 (edited by KenshiraTheTrinity 2019-07-22 13:53:21)

I had better luck with separation anxiety than I did with maximum carnage. It was helpful that venom could stomp baddies while clinging to a wall, so I did that to avoid taking too much combat damage, but there are not walls everywhere, so it isn't a full proof method for victory. In the second stage, you had to wevsling across giant gaps, but I found that if you hold right plus x then you would keep on webbing across till you landed safely on the other side. Think I made it to stage 4 but got done in by those bloody robots, and I did all of that solo with no vision as a kid. I really liked playing cooperatively with my cousin, who lamented my dying because he found my presence in dealing with the hoard of baddies helpful. The general consent is that maximum carnage had the better soundtrack, but I always thought that the dramatic techno music of separation anxiety was the coolest thing ever because of how real it sounded on the snes, especially that intro which immediately had me floored and pumped to kick some ass.

@2, I'm going to have to give that ps2 game a try. Never heard of it till now. Thanks!

2019-07-22 17:33:54

@2:
lol i'm a big telltail fan, (too bad they shut down) but that was kinda coming from a long time anyway.
That doesn't  mean i didn't follow twd till the end though(big thanks to skybound).
Anyway, back to the point so how the heeeel can you play gog by twd? i mean i hurd somebody said even mindcraft story mode is accessible and that too i fail to understand how. i mean, if that's accessible, couldn't you technically play twd too? and i tried that, but didn't have much success with it. then again, twd is kinda a bit more fast paced than those other two, i guess. but still. any special tricks you can use?
I've tried many many and i mean many times to play twd and although have managed to beet s1 blind it'd be great if i could do the rest of the seasons too. and not to mention other games by telltail.
regards

Abay chal.

2019-07-22 19:57:50

@5, minecraft story mode is playable, however the problem is at the parts where you have to craft something. For example, nearing the end of the first chapter in episode 1, you have to craft a wooden sword. So for that you have to cycle through the items in your crafting table and combine it. This can be done, but it took a long time to figure it out.
As for guardians of the galaxy, i’ve never played that game so can’t really tell how the game is played. But from a playthrough videos that I’ve watched, there is a part where you have to use some device to investigate the areas, which is similar to tales from the borderlands.

going in to the wilds, collecting pokedex, and capturing them are my kind of thing,
training them, making them evolve, and generally making them stronger is my ultimate goal,
fighting other manamon tamers, winning the tournament, and fighting octoros are what these manamons like to do,
and ultimately, I become the master of mana!

2019-07-23 04:03:38

I finished the Walking Dead Season 4. From 1 through 4 you need a lot of patient to me 4 is the easier one to play. And then Batman Telltale series. Too bad they out of business. The Wolf Among Us pretty easy as well. Aarush did you try The Wolf Among Us?

Hearthstone Tag ID: RobotWizard#1265216

2019-07-23 07:34:23

Hi.
Yes, I have tried Wolf among us, but gave up on the game. Too much exploration.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen