2019-07-20 04:46:37

So, I’m creating an archive of BNS software and games. So far I’ve searched the audio game archive, and the way back machine but all I found were a few games and utilities, if anyone could share  some stuff that would be great.

warning: this post is about to end, press h, or don't, I don't mind.

2019-07-20 10:04:50

hmmm? what BNS software?

2019-07-20 12:03:49

@2: BNs = Braille 'N Speak, a note taker first released in the mid to late 1980's and developed through the early part of the 21st century. Developed by Blazie Engineering, which eventually murged with Arkenstone and Henter Joyce to form Freedom Scientific.

@1: As far as I know, Jack probably has just about the most complete archive of BNS software I know of. I have no idea if Freedom still has archives of any of the stuff they/Blazie produced or sold. Already much may be completely lost to history, or at the very least, rotting away on 3.5 inch floppy disks in drawers, boxes, basements, closets, and attics.

2019-07-20 13:28:49

check your private messages

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

2019-07-20 17:13:19

Alright, here we go.
https://cp.sync.com/dl/f2007d4d0/d284n7 … g-9g2dxbkc
a complete archive of all the games, software and firmware I have for the BNS. Some of this came on the bns2000 firmware diskette, some of it was code examples from the Basic interpreter package and then there's obviously Dan's Basic games. Basic package also contains compile.bns and run.bns, run.bns is a definite requirement for running any of the Basic games, and compile.bns if you want to write your own stuff.
This archive does not contain any of Munawar's earlier BPC stuff for the BNS, unfortunately. We're still looking for earlier versions of Treasure Hunt and Tournament, and the Unending Adventures. Didn't Liam also make a game for the BNS as well?
If anyone has any more to add, let me know. If the BNS's were in somewhat wider circulation, or if there were an emulator, we could possibly have a proper community-supported archive. AS it stands, my own Braille-n-Speak2000 just recently jumped the shark as I yanked the battery loose thinking it would run better on AC, but now the unit's freaking out and still saying battery low anyway. Good bye to that poor thing. All I have is a BNS640 with no means of connecting it to the serial port. Which, for those who still remember this, is the reason why the Arcade port has not been completed yet - I don't have a working BNS with a copy of the game that I can run through line-in.
Have fun!

2019-07-20 18:17:32

oh, very nice stuff!

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

2019-07-20 20:10:02

Yes, Liam also wrote a game for the BNS called type.

2019-07-20 20:15:46

Yep, that would be nice to have again. If I could get a working bns2000 again that is.

2019-07-20 22:30:40

Thanks for that, jack. I've been looking for a copy of the games contained on that firmware disk for ages. Now to see if I can find my Braille Lite 40, which somehow got misplaced, and see if it even works anymore. I guess transferring the files might present a bit of a challenge, though, since modern versions of Windows don't contain Hyper Terminal, and the Blazie disk drive I had died years ago.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2019-07-21 01:16:03

Does anyone have Louis Bryants basic games?

2019-07-21 03:44:20

@Turtlepower17: You could always grab WinDisk, though you may need a Windows XP installation for it. It was released later on to simplify file transfers between Windows machines and the Braille-n-speaks.

2019-07-21 19:18:55

Oh yeah, I totally forgot about WinDisk. I remember it crashing a lot the few times I used it. I don't even know if the Braille Lite will work, so it might be a moot point anyway, but it would be awesome to play those games again.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2019-07-21 20:52:20

You're out of luck if you want to pay any of the sound-based games. Braille Light 40 can't utilize the beeper in your speech chip. So you'd need to play the games either in their respective text-only modes, or just not play a few of them at all (pinball and Click Invaders will absolutely not work, since they rely entirely on sound).

2019-07-21 21:16:16

I think I have all the games that shipped with the braille lite m 40. In fact, I also have one myself but its ... a bit broken since the scrolling wheels tend to make the de display.. well, erratic. I remember saving and backing up all of those files, I need to dig into my external hard drives in a few weeks to see if they are still there which last time I had checked they were indeed. Not sure if I still have bns files for the braille n speak which I burned years ago by plugging the wrong adapter on it, but well.
Fixing the braille m 40 will be just a voodoo trick here, because boredom science fiction never answered any contact e-mails I sent them (as usual, go figure) and I am an international loser... sorry, customer. So tough luck I guess. I also was trying to find the localization file for Spanish for it but was not successful because as far as I remember, that was nowhere on the floppies they had sent with it.

2019-07-21 23:41:46

Ahh yes, the Freedom Scientific takeover. I remember when Blazie actually made it a priority to insure everyone's support inquiries were solved. Same with Henter Joice and Arkanstone. But then the FS merge led the tech support system into some priority disarray favoring x level of paid customers and how important the issues were. If you look at Access World backissues you'll also see that the FS merger was bad news for dealers like Humanware that were actually allowed to sell copies of Jaws, and An Openbook Unbound devices, as FS cut off all dealer relations.

2019-07-22 01:38:44

Yeah, I know I can't play the sound-based games. :-( I always wanted to try Pinball but couldn't. Interestingly, Click Invaders did work for me, and I believe the sounds in Simon played as well.

2019-07-22 15:13:50

Huh. I hear the amount of beeping they utilized in pinball was using code that conflicted with other hardware in the device. Just like how they never got those games to work on double speed-activated Bns2000s if double speed was on.

2024-02-02 01:19:29

so latest topic I could find... I finally dug up things from ym aging drives and have got stuff that people would use so I am uploading this into google drive for a while and will leave it there... and will check out some links posted here hoping such a resource of bns stuff still exists. I also contacted Ted Henter (a friend forced me to do this) to look for language files for these things... lets see if they will ever respond... for now, here is the little stuff i got...
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ … sp=sharing

2024-02-02 04:05:53

Did I miss something? or is this topic like 5 years old?

Who's that trip trapping over My bridge? Come find out.

2024-02-02 07:47:45

No, you didn't miss anything. It was posted around 2019.

#FreeTheCheese
"The most deadly poison of our times is indifference. And this happens, although the praise of God should know no limits. Let us strive, therefore, to praise Him to the greatest extent of our powers." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

2024-02-29 03:22:25

I will send this stuff to Deane Blazie, maybe he can make a lot of it work on his new bt speak product. and yes, blazie engineering is back:

www.blazietech.com

2024-02-29 16:47:06

That would be incredible. A  Wine-style compatibility layer for retro BNS software? That would give me a reason to buy a note taker...

#FreeTheCheese
"The most deadly poison of our times is indifference. And this happens, although the praise of God should know no limits. Let us strive, therefore, to praise Him to the greatest extent of our powers." - St. Maximilian Kolbe