2019-07-18 21:41:41

Hello. I am writing to you today because I have a serious interest In creating a game, but I don't know what game engines out there are accessible. I don't want to create something that is story based, so I cannot use inform, which is the only game engine I know about. There is also ortale's idle game maker, but the resulting games lag my computer horribly.  So does anyone know of anything that would be good for my resource management game. I tried looking in the resource for devs link, and it appears to be broken. If someone could help me I would be seriously grateful.

Who am I? Simply me!

2019-07-18 22:30:47

If you want a programming language, I would recommend python, maybe c#, javascript.

----------
“Yes, sir. I am attempting to fill a silent moment with non-relevant conversation.”
“You don’t tell me how to behave; you’re not my mother!”
“Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.” – Data (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

2019-07-18 23:17:09

tri game maker studio or unity

I am a divine being. I can be called a primordial deity, but that might be pushing it, a smidge. I am the only one of my kind to have ten tails, with others having nine. I don't mean to sound arrogant, but I have ascended my own race.

2019-07-19 00:22:22

unity is not unfortunately accessible.

Paul

2019-07-19 00:23:23

Yeah i just tried that program. The installer is like the only thing that worked.

Who am I? Simply me!

2019-07-19 01:13:39

I'd recommend BGT. Seriously easy to get started with and learn, and it has all libraries built in that you need for most game production. Then when you're used to that move on to something like Python or a C-derived language that is more mainstream than BGT, as it allows more flexibility.

Follow me on twitch
And
Subscribe to my youtube
Leave a thumbs up if you like what I write.

2019-07-19 04:10:53

As 6 said, start with bgt, but don't only use bgt. once used to it, try to learn mainstream languages, as bgt is going to probably be unsupported upon the release of windows 11, or 11.1, or what ever it is.

2019-07-19 07:07:01

I'm sorry but what is BGT. I did try and google it i promise.

Who am I? Simply me!

2019-07-19 07:15:36

BGT is an outdated scripting language which allows you to easily create audiogames without having to worry about finding the right libraries.
If you are not willing to put effort in finding libraries which can help you with audiogame development, it's probably your best bet.
If instead you use a mainstream language the work will be slightly harder, slightly because you'll have to assemble your basic framework. Luckily we can recommend some libraries that will help with your case with some languages such as python.

Paul

2019-07-21 12:20:36

Read other topics on here, such as:
Python Tutorials

GDE Game Maker

Then
Sable may be coming out soon.

2020-02-07 22:02:49 (edited by malachi1616 2020-02-07 22:03:51)

Sorry to necro a slightly old thread, but you might look into making an HTML 5 game. It's very approachable, especially for a first game, and the skills you develop will cross over into website development. It's very easy to make them accessible with the use of screen readers and the event-based nature of html and javscript is perfect for many types of games. Learning javascript is also good if you ever want to branch into other c-like languages (like c, c++, c#, java, php, perl) since the syntax is very similar.

There are some downsides though to this, HTML 5 games are very easy to hack so you wont be able to make it very secure. You just have to square with that though. Also, making multiplayer games is impossible without having some sort of server side backend.