2019-07-22 05:41:17

I would encourage Syncthing, purely because it has some advantages that BTSync does not (i.e. uses far less memory and resources than BTSync does, and is accessible since it uses no GUI client, just a web interface).

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2019-07-22 14:27:31 (edited by john 2019-07-22 14:39:19)

For those of you interested, I'll be updating the bandwidth stats in post 17 to include info for the rest of this month. I've also added some historical data as a contrast.

@Aaron: the archive definitely isn't going anywhere regardless of the presence of a torrent. The constant traffic is a bigger threat, but hopefully my posting here that I just renewed the domain yesterday will help to alleviate some of the concern.

While I appreciate the advantages of a torrent and it has been suggested before, it's not something I, personally, have plans to develop in the near or mid future.

This said, I certainly don't want to discourage anyone else from doing so. I'll also make sure to include the rest of our developers, so that if someone on the team feels differently than I do, they can pitch in here as well.

If anyone here (not part of the archive team) does decide to develop this torrent, I'm going to ask you to respect the following restrictions though:
First, Contact us before you start downloading the site. We are still experiencing high traffic, and as the month draws to a close, somebody hitting every file on the site without first notifying us is probably going to get a ban, and since I did post this first, probably won't get it lifted when you complain. Additionally, if you need to download new content when we make updates, download only the files you actually need, not the whole site.
Second, respect developers. There's a reason torrents are considered a legal gray area, and if you want to develop something using the archive as the principle, then you need to do it properly.
Finally, don't represent your torrent as being endorsed by or part of the archive. It's your work and your responsibility, not ours.

2019-07-22 15:13:52

I would be happy to make something like this available, John (I contacted you in the passed about a mirror, but this will do as well). If I configure wget properly, it should only download those files that were updated and not the hole site after it already has it. Configuring it to do that isn't overly difficult. I'll also respect your terms and post the Syncthing key on this topic for those who want it to enjoy.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2019-07-22 17:14:45

@Post 28 Check your PMs I would like to Help with it

2019-07-23 17:04:25

@Ethin: sounds good. When you're ready to get started, please send us an email, and we'll figure out the best way to send you the current archive content for your baseline.

2019-07-25 03:58:38

Could i get files to get it started? I could use File Convoy

2019-07-25 16:28:11 (edited by john 2019-07-25 16:28:48)

@rwbeardjr:
I'll reiterate this: if you want to download a large amount of content from the archive, for any reason, please contact us via email first, so that we can determine the best way to get you what you need without compromising the service for other users.
Each situation will be considered on a case-by-case basis, depending on what it is you're trying to do, and what resources you have available to make it happen.
If we review logs and find that an individual user went ahead and created significant traffic for us without reaching out first, that user will most likely find themselves banned without recourse for the duration of the issue.

I'd also like to note that while I'm going to continue monitoring this thread and responding appropriately, I'll be disregarding any bulk file requests made here.

2019-07-27 09:42:24

I just tried to go to the Archive page for Dan Z, and both Firefox and Google basically told me the site was unsafe, that it would put malicious software on my computer. I don't know if this is just a side-effect of your restrictions or some nasty individual reported it, but as this is the most relevant thread to the topic I thought I'd leave the message here. When I personally go to the Agarchive site, I read through the lists and then decide whether I wanna download and install things, but if I can't even do that and my browser is throwing fits thinking the site is unsafe... Well, you can probably see why I'm concerned.

2019-07-27 16:32:27

Hi,
Just to say that you're not the only one experiencing this. What's worse is that on latest firefox there doesn't seem to be a way to bypass this. I wonder if there's a way to report false positives like this for review?

Daniel

2019-07-27 16:58:00

@32, once I get back into using Syncthing I'll contact you about mirroringthe site.

My Github

2019-07-30 02:44:10

We have received several similar reports, where visitors to specific developer pages are seeing false positive alerts.
There seems to be very little to nothing we can do about these, other than hope they resolve themselves over time, as has previously been the case.
Most of the problem is likely with games themselves, since many of our titles are older, and take actions that could be considered virus like when run.
Fortunately, it appears that the alerts only apply to specific developer pages, and not the whole site.

While there are ways to disable your browser's reliance on Google safe browsing, I'm not comfortable posting them publicly here, as the service does good work, and I don't want to post advice that then causes someone to fall victim to a malicious site.
If individuals would like to reach out via email, I'll be happy to assist you in either temporarily disabling safe browsing, or getting the games through some other method.

2019-08-01 00:25:45 (edited by john 2019-08-01 00:53:22)

I have updated this month's stats (post 17) with final bandwidth information. In short, the issue continues, and thus we will have to continue taking action accordingly.

I would, however, like to thank the many, many people who used the site responsibly this month. You vastly outnumber the few troublemakers causing problems, and the difficulty I'm having in hunting down who exactly deserves the ban hammer is a testament to the number of you doing exactly what we hope you will when you come to the archive: download and play games.

Finally, I'd like to ask everyone to please remember that when you listen to recordings, to download rather than stream them. If you're not sure of the difference, if your browser starts playing the audio immediately, it's streaming. Go back, right-click (applications key or shift f10) on the link to the recording, and choose the option labeled save target (or link) as instead. Mp3 audio accounted for over half of our bandwidth this month, and one file alone for over 500gb (yes, it's a long recording).
This is incredibly important, and while we like hosting recordings and believe they're very positive for the community, if they cause us to be unable to continue serving games, then we're going to have to rationalize whether it's worthwhile for us to keep that portion of the site up.

2019-08-01 06:09:59

@john Have you considered making users create accounts in order to download files? Wouldn't that also make it much easier to find offenders by logging who is abusing your service?

The Beast continued its studies with renewed Focus, building great Reference works and contemplating new Realities. The Beast brought forth its followers and acolytes to create a renewed smaller form of itself and, through Mischievous means, sent it out across the world.
from The Book of Mozilla, 6:27