2019-07-22 23:07:00 (edited by Dark 2019-07-22 23:28:17)

@drums61999, thumbs up.

I will admit I've heard voices I prefer in voice acting, but as when reading a book with a narrator, I get used to the voice pretty quickly. Having voice acted in games myself, I'm also quite aware how much work goes in to voicing, though as I said, if the VGA crew want any help from myself or Mrs. Darkk voicing wise we'd be glad to help, either  for a fairly small fee or voluntarily depending upon the amount of time and work involved. If a screen reader option were available at this point I probably would continue with the game voice for variety and because I'm used to it as opposed to listening to Daniel all the time.

One thing I will say, is I do believe the voicing would be less of a concern if the game used more sound effects for its atmosphere, as interceptor did, so really hoping these will be added in a future update.

While I appreciate people have differing opinions on game voicing, in the case of expanding known space the voice is also very much only the short end of a very long stick, indeed given how many people in this community have longed for more complex strategy games and to get away from basic reaction game play, it does seem slightly odd people are getting hung up on the window dressing so to speak.
Yes, window dressing is important when attracting new players, but its not window dressing that has made me already spend a good few hours playing expanding known space and will likely make me play more.

@frastlin I'm not sure what you mean. When you move onto one square you should be able to see all of the ships in that square irrespective of what they are whether they're combined into a fleet or not.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-07-22 23:40:24

Frastlin,

I've added a note to create an examine planet hot key or menu option.  This isn't a big deal, and should be easy to add. 

I get the issue.  Since individual ships are read with their identification number, it can lead to confusion sometimes. 

Is 3 interceptors, destroyer 2, and frigate 9 5 ships or 14?  If you are having trouble with how the voice spaces these, you might try playing with the end cue before delay option in the settings.  THat might help, but I think I see where you're coming  from on this.

Take care,

Jeremy

Valiant Galaxy Associates Company, owned by Aaron Spears and Jeremy Brown develops and markets audiogames for the Blind and Low Vision markets.

2019-07-23 00:17:14

@101 don't quite see your point since playing with that voice for an hour or so would probably give me a headache. I don't think anyone is expecting the voice of god himself, and I also don't think it's too much to ask. But don't want to hijack the topic, so will stop with this line.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-07-23 08:35:31

Hi.
I'm so glad that because of the new tutorial, I finally got the basics of the gameplay. I got surprised that I completed the demo version so quickly and easily. smile I will play the demo version some more to get more used to the gameplay.
Thanks for the demo in post 84. I look forward to give that a listen as well.
Regarding the voice discussion:
I must at mid it took a while for me to get used to the voice as well, and I understand around 90% of the messages. It's funny that it's many native English speakers who complain most about it. smile
It's really nice that Liam and Dark and properly others are offering to be voice actors for the game. Maybe make voice packs as extra purchases? I would gladly pay for a voice pack like this.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2019-07-23 08:37:50

I've seen a lot of people saying. OMG professional voice acting is expensive. I charge 10 cents a word. That's the going rate for freelance work, and I tend to be fine with working out deals for game devs and stuff if it's a large project.

Much less active on this forum than in the past.

Check out my live streams: http://lerven.me
follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/liamerven

2019-07-23 15:44:37

well like i say i'm rather disappointed in the fact that the voice is such a putoff. something really does need to be done in order for me to go back to this game. lol no i'm not the be all and end all of course not. but my point is that i'm evidently not the only one that thinks what they do about the voice in the game. i did read about people's dissatisfaction with the voice before i downloaded the game but i did want to try it first. i like to draw my own conclusions with regards to any given subject. yes i'll take on board what other people think but that can only go so far. there's no point in agreeing with a given thing if you are simply following the pack. you need to be able to make your own informed decision and act accordingly.

2019-07-23 22:58:00

Oh, I didn't realize that the id of the ship was being announced as well. I don't think we need the ids until we open a menu.
I would love to see some kind of story line, set of achievements, or something more than just me going down the list of campaigns and options to try out my skills. I love the game, I would just like a little story to play with.
I would also love to see a mixture of traders of known space and this game!

2019-07-24 00:26:56

Frastlin,

This game was envisioned as more of a pure strategy game.  We're working on some more story based games in future, but Expanding Known Space was an early project we returned to.  It also is laying groundwork for where we want to go with a possible Interceptor sequel. 

In terms of story ideas for possible use, I'm all ears.  We focused at first on the lower hanging fruit to start with.  As you can see, this game is more ambitious than either TKS or Interceptor.  The TKS expansion we're working on incorporated a number of the ideas people here and elsewhere suggested.  Trying to combine it with EKS might be a little daunting, but I think when we release the TKS expansion it'll have a little more to do both in terms of commercial opportunities and in terms of combat. 

The main problem with combining the two games, as I see it, is both a historical time period one, and a mechanical issue.  The two games take place 300 years apart.  Further, it'd take a lot more infrastructure to handle the buying of goods on planets, the tracking of commercial opportunities, and the military aspects of the game.  I agree, though, that would make for an intensely complex game with a lot of potential for interesting play options.

Keep the ideas coming.  Take care,

Jeremy

Valiant Galaxy Associates Company, owned by Aaron Spears and Jeremy Brown develops and markets audiogames for the Blind and Low Vision markets.

2019-07-24 07:56:15

I would like a progression or levels so that I feel like I'm going through a campaign or progressing in some way.
Perhaps it could be as simple as you're a general jumping through 3-5 year chunks and every so often one of the factions calls on you to lead ships to win a battle. I just want something that will progressively make the game harder while making me feel like I'm part of the story somehow.

I would also love to see a high scores board. This game would also be perfect for multiplayer battles, similar to Starcraft. Rather than making it turn-based, both players could set their ships at the same time, then the maps only sink once both have made their moves. Then there could be rankings.

2019-07-24 10:30:48

Personally, I don't think there would be too much of a problem with a game that combined some of the strategic aspects of EKS with the trading, provided it was set later in the universe, say during the war with the grays in the 31st century, that way you could even have factions for the different alien races and varied ship types. Personally, I'm still waiting for that space colonisation game, since I Love the idea of managing a colony with new settlers, trying to use resources and make the most of what is out there, but that's probably an entirely different project.

As for story in Expanding known space though, on the one hand I do see the problem. Expanding known space pretty much covers the entire war on a macro level, what with each planet in the game actually being an entire planetary system and  endings  involving the total defeat of the other side, thus no chance for say different sabotage or siege missions as in something like Sound rts or tactical battle. A smaller scale battle game where you controlled intersystem ships  with more random astronomical bodies, comets, asteroids, planetoids, which looked at things on a smaller scale might be another future idea.

However, that being said, I don't think expanding known space is without story possibilities.
one idea might be to change the missions to give different alternative takes on the war, by making each mission its own alternative universe version.

for example, there could be a version where interstellar radiation caused lack of communication, meaning that earth lost touch with its far flung faction years before, and only realised that they were at war when they received an announcement that the capital of the other side was renamed Bolivarr, thus necessitating a push out into space to reconnect with distant colonies.

Another version could involve the discovery of a rich tradable resource somewhere in the galaxy, thus necessitating an immediate push to colonise that planet.

Another story might be a sudden break through in technology by one side or another which makes a given type of planet more desirable, thus necessitating a war for economic control, for example, say a plague was threatening earth's eco system and so a push to colonise earth like planets developed, or maybe scientists on bolivar discover a sudden faster method of creating fusion through hydrogen, making ice planets more valuable.

Its a matter of basically considering alternative universe reasons for the war, or alternative circumstances where the war could've taken place, then putting those into the story context of game missions, heck you wouldn't really need to program any alternative events, just intro and outro text and some pre selected victory conditions.

You could also consider a successively harder locked campaign in which the player had to take on increasingly difficult versions of the same war with different stories, perhaps with the player rising in ranks or earning  different medles along the way, EG the player could start as a commodore nobody commanding a galaxy would be a private), then progress through rear admiral, fleet admiral, grand admiral, space marshal third class, space martial second class, space martial first class and supreme commander.

For example, instead of the demo simply being lightning mode, tell a story about how tentions are developing between Earth and the outer colonies who threaten independence, and how  earth's council have decided a gesture of strength is needed to convince the rapidly developing Interstellar union that they still need the help fof the mother planet, so a massive colonisation and occupation effort is planned, since if the solarian alliance can show a strong and resourceful presence in the galaxy it might prevent total interstellar war.
then progress through different stories about how the war came about, some with one side being stronger or better equipped (corresponding to changinges in the AI), or with different victory conditions.

The tools are all already there, all of the varieties in game setup and so on, its just a matter of creating the story and successive campaigns to use those tools.
this isn't to say the different startups are a bad thing either, just that as with the lack of sound, this is one area where perhaps the game's atmosphere and progression as an experience needs to be brought in line with its strategical gameplay.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-07-26 15:01:00

I know I posted stats earlier for a larger game, but as I was beta testing some of the things for the update, I had a really rougher game than I've had in a while, and thought i'd share.  This is by no means a large game, but it gives a different flavor to people who have been seeing much smaller games.

Game Statistics for Playthrough of VGA Expanding Known Space, Version (22 beta ).

The player beat the game! woohoo!

The game lasted 1 hours 44 minutes 51 seconds  and ended on Friday, July 26, 2019 at 7:45 AM.

The war between you (the solarian federation) and the enemy (the interstellar union) started in 2850 and ended in 2866 (65 turns, with the solarian federation victorious.
Game was in ouch that's really not fair difficulty. Mission far corners mode was enabled.
Military victory condition was assigned - was not met
Colonization victory condition was assigned (60%) - the solarian federation met this condition with 70% for 4 seasons
Economic victory condition was assigned (60%) - the solarian federation met this condition with 71% for 3 seasons
Capital Control victory condition was assigned - was not met
The enemy was in normal mode.
the solarian federation finished with 28 colonies (70%) with the most ever held  being 28. the interstellar union finished with 11 colonies (27%) with the most ever held being 19.
the solarian federation colonized 1 of 1 asteroid belts, 4 of 7 space stations, 2 of 3 ice planets, 5 of 7 volcanic planets, 3 of 4 ocean planets and 13 of 18 earth type planets.
the interstellar union colonized 0 of 1 asteroid belts, 3 of 7 space stations, 1 of 3 ice planets, 2 of 7 volcanic planets, 0 of 4 ocean planets and 5 of 18 earth type planets.
At the end, the solarian federation was making 263 credits for 71% of the total income, the interstellar union was making 240 credits for 25% of the total income.
the solarian federation made a total of 9045 credits, the interstellar union made a total of 19952.
the solarian federation spent 0 on intelligence gathering, the interstellar union spent 325.
the solarian federation purchased 287 interceptors, 429 destroyers, 32 frigates, 111 cruisers, 104 battle ships and 49 colony ships for a total of 1012.
the interstellar union purchased 96 interceptors, 18 destroyers, 96 frigates, 25 cruisers, 705 battle ships and 48 colony ships for a total of 988.
the solarian federation lost 82 interceptors, 193 destroyers, 9 frigates, 20 cruisers, 29 battle ships and 9 colony ships for a total of 342 (309 lost in combat, 33 lost to hazards).
the interstellar union lost 74 interceptors, 18 destroyers, 75 frigates, 18 cruisers, 441 battle ships and 24 colony ships for a total of 650 (621 lost in combat, 29 lost to hazards).
the solarian federation lost 4 ships to changing loyalties, the interstellar union lost 12.
you have won 0 military, 3 colonization, 0 economic, 1 capital control and 1 mission victories and you have lost 0 military, 0 colonization, 0 economic, 0 capital control and 1 missions for a total of 4 wins, 1 losses.

During the course of the game I lost Zion, Vishnu, Vesta, Grunwelt, Paradise station, and Amundsen.  I managed to retake Vishnu, Zion, Vesta and subsequently lost Vesta again.  The only reason I won was because I made a lot of smaller strike fleets and sent them to run around in his rear area striking where he didn't have many forces.  Between colonizing planets he had skipped or not gotten to, and taking over his colonies, I managed to win.  I never saw Bolivar, but likely couldn't have taken it over in any case.  The AI in ouch that's not fair mode sometimes has upwards of 120 battleships on Bolivar.  Still it was touch and go, even til the end of the game, he was still sending fleets of 20 battleships to Earth.  in addition, these were not single large fleets.  There were multiple occasions where fleets of 20-30 battleships struck me at multiple points.  There was a point in the midgame where I was fairly sure i'd end up losing. 

Take care,

Jeremy

2019-07-27 00:33:10

We just put out a review on Expanding Known Space and we are running a giveaway as well. You can check out the review and the giveaway below.

https://blog.blackscreengaming.com/revi … 7/26/2019/

2019-07-27 08:14:47

ok so am listening to this review. 3 problems with it:
1. the person reviewing it is talking over the in game speech a lot of the time so it makes it difficult to hear what the game is doing at times.
2. the guy so far is not explaining exactly how he's doing what he's doing. some things he is explaining but not others.
3. when going through various options the guy is not allowing the speech to complete what it's saying. which creats the obvious problem of not knowing entirely what is happening.

2019-07-27 17:51:01

I'll take that into account for future recordings for game reviews.
The recording of game play isn't anything which is edited for time or clarity. Those types of recordings are on the main site. This is to just give people a rough idea of the game so they know if it is something they would like to download and play. Like a supporting file to the review. I'll still keep it in mind for the next one though.

2019-07-27 20:58:18

thanks for taking that into acount smoke. hey glad they won though! lol i had to listen through to see if they won.

2019-07-28 03:01:30

Dark's ideas are exactly what I would like. Something where you just lick next and it takes you to the next most difficult mission or story.
I would also be happy with an achievement system.

2019-07-28 03:38:50

But it's a strategy game, not an rpg. Yes, there is some plot for the game world, but it's along the same lines as time of conflict. There's no story in that either.

there is the stat thing at the bottom telling you how many games and of what type you won/lost.

Having the mission, and clicking next would be weird, because you win the game, then you have to reconquer everything all over again. It just doesn't make sense. Plus, choosing missions based on difficulty is really subjective. I'm not sure how you would rate them.
They are still working on the update though, so maybe that will help, and read the blackscreengaming review. It is a good assessment of what the game is and what it is not.

thanks,
Michael

2019-07-28 05:50:03

I'm afraid I disagree there Drumbs. Command and conquer, civilization, age of empires, all had achievements and some degree of story. Yes, they were  strategy games and focused on management and battling not rpg mechanics, but that didn't mean they didn't come with basic game design to go along with that, heck, these days pretty much every type of game, from arcade games to racing comes with progressive play options and achievements, and I know myself I tend to be more motivated to try harder challenges in the game when I earn something, even just a token for completing them, rather than just a straight win/lose scenario.

2019-07-28 10:20:38

with the likes of AOE they had 2 modes of gameplay. 1 was indeed a story mode, the other was the open ended kind that just kept going until the game finished one way or other.

2019-07-28 19:55:47 (edited by Dark 2019-07-28 19:56:19)

The game now has a db page which you can Find here, though I suspect i'll have to, well expand the entry when the game gets some updates big_smile.

2019-07-29 05:19:35

Dark,

Thanks.  We appreciate it as always.  I really like the introductory paragraph.  Very well done.

We are working on the update.  Aaron's family lives and works a farm, and this is fair week, so they've been very busy.  That's slowed us down, but we are working to implement those things we can.

Some will have to wait on a more extensive update, or may never happen.

Right now though, we have address three or four of the major concerns brought up here.  We still have another 8 or 9 we want to address.  No guarantees when this will be out, but any update we do will update existing copies of the game free of charge.  We're hoping for end of August at the latest, but it might be longer depending on what roadblocks we hit.

Take care,

Jeremy

2019-07-29 12:19:56

so what can we expect from this new update?
i did buy the game in the end because of smokes review if i'm honest.
as much as i still don't like the voice i know in equal measure what i would love to see. multiplay. either 1 on 1 2 on 2 with multiple map sizes. with extra units such as gun platforms that sort of thing. or the ability to mine certain parts of the map. specific offensive and defensive units.

2019-07-29 13:53:28

Darren,

In answer to your question, so far the changes are these:

1. We have created an o hot key that replaces the old on hand credits o hot key.  This one allows you to see ships not on planets that have no autonav orders.

2. On hand credits was moved to become extra information given with the t hot key.

3. L now gives cursor location, and shift l gives location of last selected ship.  This moves cursor location from the hot key u because of the next change.

4.  U and shift u now cycle through five purposes for ships: scout, defense, attack, and convoy.  The fifth is unassigned.  Putting a fleet or ship in scout mode now enables scout mode on it without going into the autonav menu.  These purposes are displayed when the player looks at the ship or fleet on map mode. 

5.  We have prepared a text file that will list all file names in the speech folder, and the contents of each file for recording your own voice pack, or for translation.  In addition we've created a utility that converts this string file into SAPI speech.  It is not a complete fix, as because of the way our voice sends are written it makes Sapi rather choppy.  However, it does provide an alternative.  We still encourage the community to record their own voice packs and use those as the recorded speech will be much more effective.  We are looking at things we can do to smoothe the SAPI speech out, and might include a pregenerated SAPI folder, but that's still being debated.  Our stants is still that we're sticking by our original script, we're providing the alternative, but the onus of use is primarily on the end user.

Those are the completed, or near completed items that we've worked on.

Other items that are under discussion, and will probably be completed are these:

6. Providing an examine square menu that will tell you all ships on the square that are not in fleets, possibly having submenus for each fleet to display its contents separately.  We're looking into what options are the easiest and most efficient to code in a short time.  This might take a completely different form in the final version.

7. An option to flip the Y axis.  I want to say the original reason we flipped it from common usage was due to complaints on the original TKS forum, but I might be wrong about that.  For me, I always think of the map as the lower right quadrant of a cartesian plane with the origin in the upper left corner, but we get the confusion factor, and figured out an efficient way to provide a toggle.

8. We're looking into a way to make map mode disappear once you place your final ship, and making this a toggleable option that would be a replacement for the current behavior which is the map hangs around until dismissed.  The game used to cause the map to disappear, and it is messing with several beta testers when it doesn't.  This might or might not get implemented as it is complicated, and currently not something called for by most customers.

9. We're looking into introducing a second demo mode to provide more combat and/or a regular game experience.  We're still debating which way we want to do this.  Our original reasoning for using lightning mode was that if we set an arbitrary turn limit, there's no guarantee that a player will actually encounter the AI by that limit.  Usually, yes, but not always.  This one is going to happen most likely, but we don't know what form it will take.

10. We're looking at adding two more missions.  Currently, this is merely a speculative idea, so might or might not happen.  one was suggested by this forum, another by beta testers.  If others get suggested and we have time, and they are again efficient and easy to code, we will strongly consider including others. 

11. We're looking at including three new stats in the game status, end game, and copy text options that would track how many planets out of 40 you have discovered, how many static hazards, and how many mobile hazards you have encountered.  The same stats would be provided for the AI.

12. I'd like to rearrange the way the copy and paste text is presented, if I can convince Aaron it's worth doing, but this might or might not happen.  I include this one as a side note.  This copy text is in line with how our other games have been set up for the most part, so it will probably stay as is, but I had originally wanted a more broken up format that might list for instance how many interceptors we bought, how many the AI bought, and alternate more to make the comparisons easier. 

13. We're looking at where we could profitably insert sounds for those who want them, and still put them on a toggle for those who find it too cluttered, slow, or makes the game less responsive.  Whatever we do in this direction, the soundscape will still be very sparse and will likely be mostly sounds to indicate small events, and shifts in game phase.  As I noted in an earlier post, having individual sounds tied to individual ship events can get spammy and annoying very quickly in certain game situations.

That's the quick overview.  Those will definitely happen, and we hope to have this done by the end of August, possibly the middle of September.

What won't be happening in this update are these and I'll explain why:

1.  Major changes in maps, units, or other major game elements. Quite simply, EKS is a very complex system, and introducing new variables often breaks the game and requires a long testing process to find the bug and squash it.  Squashing a bug of this sort often creates more.  We had an issue in beta 20 that came from a similar issue, and we do not want to slow down this update by trying to make the game bigger, more involved, etc, and then have to wait three months or better over one bug. 

2.  I like the story ideas, but they would require a major overhaul to how the game plays, and again, in the interest of getting an update into players' hands quickly, we are going to hold off on any changes in that direction.

One last teaser, but this is only a teaser and may not happen.  We are examining ways to make computer to computer play possible.  This falls into the same caviots as above with new units, new maps, new story: if it is taking too long to figure out, or won't work in a way that satisfies us, we're not going to do it at this time.  We have always envisioned an online possibility for this game, and we would like to make it happen, but our policy with past updates, and I think it's a good one, is to fix immediately obvious large scale issues that are raised rather than to try and retool the game entirely.  In the case of TKS, we have been working on retooling the game entirely, and it took us over two years, and we're not even halfway done with the ideas we want to pursue.  It has currently gotten sidelined by EKS and some other projects, and will take even longer now.

One thing, as with any small developer to remember is, it's just two of us.  only one of us has extensive coding skills.  I can do a little but I learned programming back in the days of Basic and Pascal and so modern programming languages blow my head up.  I can do some data entry things like if then statements or hot keys if they're simple,but I just am not useful code wise.  As with any small company run part time, RL interferes.  SO sometimes we make choices based on how efficiently and quickly can we get this game to work, work right, work consistently, and provide a good play experience.  We don't always  go for this would be the coolest if ideas.  Many of the ideas suggested here have been excellent ideas for places to take the game, and they are ones that we will explore if we ever create an expansion, a further update, or a new game that builds on EKS.  However, many of them I estimate would take us five years or better to complete, just because of the inevitable delays we  would encounter.

Take care,

Jeremy

2019-07-29 14:39:04

e
Hi Jeremy.

I'm liking  the sound of some of those changes, especially the extra keys, however can I please make a case for the inclusion of successive story options, IE a campaign as I described in post 110.

At the moment, there is little incentive to a player to try out the AI on harder difficulties or attempt different combinations of missions and variables. yes, they will provide differences in gameplay, however ultimately defeating the computer on the highest difficulty in total war mode will give the player no more tangible or practical reward than defeating the player on normal difficulty in lightning mode, the win message is the same, the plot is the same, the background and setting of the war is the same.

Whilst Expanding known space is indeed a strategy game not an Rpg, it is a strategy game set within a wider universe, one which attempts to give players a distinct experience, hence  background and timeline, background and timeline options which are intrinsically tied to the game's world and gameplay elements (players after all cannot choose their own capital or name their own factions).

As well as background, it is also true that players like myself appreciate being challenged by a game, rather than having to construct their own challenges, after all people do not simply write their own sound rts maps and play them for the hell of it, they hand them round the community, one reason why Sound Rts has largely been a far more popular strategy game than Time of conflict, even though time of conflict is arguably more complex, or on an alternate level, consider how many extra tasks have been added to Eurofly.

For myself, I know I am far more likely to play a game if I'm offered a reason for a given challenge and a preset list of challenge conditions, as opposed to simply being told "pick your poison and run with it"

Also, my suggestion in post 110 was made intrinsically with the existing capabilities of Expanding known space in mind.
I do not suggest introducing any extra factors in the creation of challenges for the player, since you manifestly have already come up with a customisable set of difficulty settings and victory conditions, I merely suggest implementing those in a more structured way to give players the longevity and increasing challenge factor of a number of tasks to complete.

If you wish, I'd be glad to  assist in helping write and decide upon story text to match an increasingly difficult set set of objectives and victory conditions, using existing elements of the Vga universe and  different alternative circumstances for the war's probable causes and preexisting conditions, to create an existing set of challenges for the player.

I really hope you'll consider this fact. The Blindfold games for Ios, despite some exceptional mechanics have never really met with as much acceptance in the community as they might. Part of the reason for this, is their sacrificing good game design and challenge for some idealistic model of inclusivity, by giving players access to so many games settings at the start of each title, that players have no insentive  try any of them.

Of course, Blindfold games have other issues as well, and manifestly Expanding known space is a much different game, still, I'd really hate to see Vga make a similar mistake in game design here, one which furthermore would not be difficult to rectify, given that all of the elements necessary to create player challenges already exist in the games setup anyway.

I really hope you'll consider this arguement for a future expantion of the game.

2019-07-29 17:41:05

Dark,

There's not so many turn based strategy games floating around that are accessible that I'm to the stage of I won't play something that doesn't give me a story based reason to do so.

My comments in 123 were not that it's completely off the table, but that it's completely off the table for a fast update.

The main issue is just a. how the game is structured, and b. creating a set of missions that would escalate and be interesting to play following a storyline.  If I do a storyline like this, I want it to make sense and have cohesion, not just be a little bit of fluff at the beginning of each mission on the game.  I could write one of those, but it wouldn't really satisfy me.

That said, running a chained storyline like this would be interesting, but it would take some radical restructuring of how the game works currently.  Essentially, we'd have to write a new mission and it would require a lot of major changes to how the game operates.  Infrastructure things that go on behind the scenes. 

It's not something that is going to happen soon if at all with this game.  Not because I hate storylines, or think they can't be incorporated, but because this is basically a finished game, and what you're wanting, at least to my reading, would need a lot of new infrastructure to work.

If, when I get a chance to talk to Aaron about this in more detail, he says, no that wouldn't be a problem, then that might change things. 

The VG universe is a nice construct, and it is something we want to make more use of, but we also wanted to set up some base line assumptions first.  We wanted Interceptor to introduce some of the technologies, a little more elaborate way of handling damage to a ship, and experiment with a fighter simulator.  I want to revisit this and make it better and more complex, and incorporate a lot of the good suggestions we got from the forum.  But to do so, we're going to have to essentially create an entirely new game.  The infrastructure of Interceptor won't support all the ideas we received nor some of the ideas we had ourselves.

TKS we did try to modify using the existing structure, and frankly it became a nightmare.  The game was built quickly and with simple assumptions, and we had to totally restructure certain things.  It's a mess right now, and I honestly think we might be better off starting from scratch, but neither of us wants to do that really.

Yellowbonnet we built with the idea of expansion in it from the beginning.  We know how we want to pursue that, and it's in the plans, but just not anytime soon.

EKS was supposed to be the macro version of Interceptor to show off how some of the 2d map things from TKS and the ideas from interceptor about ships, how they interact, and what they do work together in a larger setting.

With EKS, we were working with older code which we revamped.  A lot of the assumptions of the game are fine, but the general infrastructure issues make certain ideas harder to implement.  Because of the way the board is built, creating different board sizes, configurations, etc, is more complex than it should be.  If we had used a different method for building it, it wouldn't be, but we didn't do that at the beginning.  Going back now and fixing it would probably take a while just because of introducing new headaches into how things are handled.

Right now the game is designed essentially to play through once and stop.  For missions to build to a next mission in a campaign scenario, the game would have to be restructured to do that.  It's not impossible, but again, to do so takes time and effort.

So, it's not off the table, but it won't be happening soon.  I get the wishing for more context to put around the game, but my interest in the game first and foremost was primarily as a strategy game.  The missions introduce different situations where you have to use different strategies in most cases.  The difficulty levels force changes in strategy.  However, at the end of the day it's a strategy game.  It could incorporate the suggestions about new units, and larger maps, and storyline easily, with a rework to make it a different conceptual space.  However, we'd have to build that infrastructure from scratch, or else have several months or years to make it work the way it needs to with the current game. 

I'm open to your suggestion about how to make the game work as is, but i'd like some concrete examples.  If you have my private email still, feel free to email me, or post here.  I've been taking notes all through this thread, so nothing that was said earlier was lost, or ignored, just not acted upon immediately. 

If you are suggesting just working up some storyline based intros for what we already have, I can do so fairly easily.  However, that wouldn't be my optimal solution to the storyline issue and judging by your posts, I don't think it's yours either.

Take care,

Jeremy