2019-07-21 17:03:51

Hello there.
This is mainly a curiousity than any thing.

FAQ wrote:

Q. Why do you use recorded speech?
A. There's multiple reasons. Aaron had programmed his voiceover script for BGT (available atAaron's personal site) and wanted to use it. Second, SAPI voices, which are the next most common voices used in audio games have issues. The recorded speech offered a reliable voice option that because it is downloaded with the game would work on all systems. Some of our games use a mixture of recorded speech and SAPI, but we've become fond of the recorded speech output.

I'm actually curious to know, what are those sapi issues? I'm sure that knowing them will surely help developers in the audiogames community.
I've never used sapi much, but certainly knowing about it's issues will greatly help.
Thanks in advance for the response.

Paul

2019-07-21 20:06:14

Hi.

This is Aaron.

SAPI is fairly easy to break. Over the years I've run into problems with it a few times, and I've heard discussions of other people having similar horrors with it. Some voices will leave parts of themselves behind when you uninstall them, or perhaps they remove too much data, and now SAPi either doesn't work at all, or the voice is still there but doesn't work. My Yoga2pro laptop has several voices that don't work, for instance, even today.

This is when a customer contacts you to help them fix their SAPi since your game can't speak through it, even though the game itself is not the problem.

Additionally, many voices have an issue that causes a long delay after something is spoken before the voice reports that it's not speaking anymore. this results in long pauses in between strung together phrases. Microsoft's own SAPI5 version of the One Core voices like David are among the worst.

On my system, my game is silent for just about a full second and sometimes even longer before the game is able to continue, if it is waiting for SAPi to finish. I wind up just using the SAPI5 version of ESpeak on all of my computers because the rest are just terribly slow. I like Eloquence, but I haven't decided to buy the SAPI5 version of Eloquence yet.

Recently, just before releasing EKS, I was troubleshooting a problem where my game crashed after Windows 10 updated to version 1903. When SAPI would try to speak, game crash every time. I have code that tries to check if a voice is going to work, and if not, it spells the message using the recorded speech instead. This wasn't working. Come to find out, I forgot to account for the internal list of voices not containing as many voices as the number the currently saved voice was. This is called an index out of bound. I call the fact that I missed this crappy coding on my part, and the fix was relatively easy.

However, I got the crash to stop, and then I was experiencing a several second pause every time SAPi would be supposed to say something, but not actually hear anything but silence. Even in settings in the game, I could arrow across the voices and it would never say anything.

I wound up setting up alerts to show me when it was trying to say things just what it was saying. Then I backtracked my SAPi code and alerted the heck out of it too trying to find the issue. I had at one point the knowledge that for some reason, the voice was reporting at speaking immediately, even though it wasn't speaking. The fact that it reported as speaking caused the code then to not break out and revert to spelling. So how in the heck was this the case? Since when did SAPi report speaking when it really wasn't? I banged on this for about an hour and a half changing a lot of code in the final release version of EKS, something I really didn't want to mess with.

Come to find out, it sort of was not a bug in SAPI after all, but it kind of was as well. I have the VB Cable driver installed on this computer. Before the Win10 update, everything was fine. VB Cable lets you put the audio output to its own virtual sound card, then you can pick up what went into it on the other end by pointing the input/microphone selection of what ever apps you want to it. You can listen to VB Cable through the default sound output device using the native windows functionality for that, so you can continue to hear what ever it was even though it was not being piped to the regular sound card directly.

What I had done was used the advanced app settings in the Win10 settings app under sounds to force Eks to output through the VB cable, even though EKS doesn't support that capability on its own. I then used Team Talk to listen to VB cable on the microphone side and was able to stream something I had recently changed over Team Talk to show it off to a close friend to see what they thought. It worked great, they heard everything just fine.

After that Win10 update, somehow Eks was still outputting through the VB Cable, even though I know I changed it back to the default output when I had finished. Plus, in the past, any time you close out a program that has been forced to a certain output like that from the sounds section in pc settings, it reverts back to default anyway, a fact I found somewhat annoying when I closed the game out and opened it again to start fresh with a new game and such.

But, for some reason, SAPi  couldn't be heard, while the recorded speech was working perfectly. Beats the heck out of me, but I was pretty annoyed about that, to say the least.

So saying, it has always been my policy to keep these games as self contained as I can manage. Besides the fact that I've always liked a game that used recorded speech myself, I just wanted to be able to do that too. We've both mentioned this before, but fortunately or perhaps unfortunately, we're producing games we would want to play here, and for the most part, their interfaces and way of interacting with the human is what we personally prefer.

The main reason I added SAPi support in the first place was so we could say things that would otherwise have been spelled out. In fact, originally, spelling is exactly how strings we didn't have speech files for were handled. For instance, the Guidedog activation item in the main menu. When that would tell you who was logged in, it would spell your user name.

Now that we have it, we rely on it to keep the game Talking when I add new strings that haven't yet been recorded, and, as you all are certainly aware, for certain things that recording speech files for just isn't practical, like people's user names and long descriptions for 40 different planets.

I wish I knew how to use ESpeak's dll from the games. I would package that and either use that exclusively, or offer that choice. It sounds pretty terrible to me, but it even works reasonably well when small strings are split up to facilitate playing many different speech files, but none of them are made yet, or only some of them. It bounces between ESpeak and the recorded speech very fast and smoothly even when using the SAPi version of it, obviously it's a little odd hearing both voices help each other out like an old couple, but hey. Oi, don't call me old!

Regards:
Aaron

Valiant Galaxy Associates Company, owned by Aaron Spears and Jeremy Brown develops and markets audiogames for the Blind and Low Vision markets.

2019-07-21 20:12:46

Yep, that definitely makes sense and I understand.
What about using the output through the user's screenreader?

Paul

2019-07-21 20:59:08

Hi.

Aaron again.

I've got code that can do this, but it doesn't work well with delaying. This is because the screen readers don't report through their various access methods this relies on when they finish speaking. There's a similar setup to how GMA's games handle it, where it goes by the number of words and you calibrate it by letting it say something and telling it when it stopped, then that creates a bit of an average that sort of works.

There's also the issue that if you want to interrupt the speech you can't do so with control unless the screen reader supports speakInterrupt with a blank string. I think all of them do. Note that if you don't need the keyboard hooking function in the game to be on then control will work anyway.

The main issue is that delay estimator thing isn't always accurate. You'll have the game continuing on either too soon or too late in situations where it was supposed to wait until speech finished.

A future game we have planned will need a lot of long winded speech output that won't lend itself to recorded speech, so we'll likely explore this and hopefully other options while we're at it at that point.

Another reason not to do this though is that players can slide in a translation for the game, or their own preferred speech folder even if the same language, then all the recorded speech might be in say, Spanish even though the game is really English. It's never perfect, but it's sometimes good enough to get by, where translating all strings that would go to the screen reader or SAPI or which ever is not a simple proposition for us or who ever wants to handle the translation.

We are working on generating a text file with the file names and the strings each file has which may help translators or other players who just want to mod the game by providing their own pack instead. The bulk of the work here will be on whom ever wants to make the mod, but it should be a possibility. I have to code a new entry in settings though to allow for this, because if you put modified speech files in the speech folder the next time the game updates it may accidentally delete them if they're in the default speech folder. So this will involve pointing the game at a completely separate folder.

Valiant Galaxy Associates Company, owned by Aaron Spears and Jeremy Brown develops and markets audiogames for the Blind and Low Vision markets.

2019-07-21 21:28:35

yeah I see.

Paul

2019-07-21 22:54:18

Well just to tell you guys I have the game now as of 2 days ago.
Not played it yet. but still

2019-07-21 22:55:48

hi,

i've just tried this game.

i'm sorry but i cannot stand the voice that is used. it just sounds terrible and i would consider it to be unclear.
are there other voices that i can use and if so how can they be accessed? if not then i'll sadly have to uninstall this game and i haven't even started playing yet.

2019-07-22 01:46:02

Hi.

On our end the speech is not unclear. There are quite a few people playing it without issue. Two things come to mind.

1. The speech is pretty loud. Try turning it down in settings or just by pressing f5 after the game is running. Even if it doesn't sound loud, it might be possible that it is distorting the compression on your sound card. I actually have a sound card that does that, and I have to turn affects off in windows itself. I have issues with everything sounding silly though when this is on, and I quite honestly wonder why pc manufacturers even bother. With this Lenovo if I wear headphones and use my screen reader or play any game for very long at all my ears start ringing and I get dizzy and my head hurts, until I turn Dolby off.

I also have a little tablet AsusTeK T100TA-Am that distorts if the speech is at anything louder than say, -10 on speakers. Works fine with headphones though. The speakers distort easily on that tablet anyway so this is not a surprise.

2. The speech files are all jumbled together. It may take practice to understand the speech this way. The default separation is what we think is a good compromise of intelligibility versus efficiency, but it may help to try setting speech file queue before end delay all the way down to 0 to bring this more in line with how most games using recorded speech work. This item is also in settings.

3. Can't promise anything yet because this is in the early stages and we may hit an unforeseen road block, but we might possibly be making it easy to switch to a different speech pack.

Aaron

2019-07-22 11:52:08

well at the very least i think that you should be allowed to use your own screen reader if the default speech isn't to your liking. can you please make this possible? would certainly encourage me to play the game somewhat. it's well i just don't like the speech at all.

2019-07-22 12:57:59

So I'm going to echo the sentiment of others.
I can not get in to these games due to the recorded speech.
I don't want to be rude because I know what it's like to put a lot of time and effort in to a project, but the speech detracts immensely from the overall experience.
if you are dead set on using human speech, I would be willing to sit down and record professional narrations for your games if you guys want. Get in touch if you'd like to work out something. I'm fair and will work for a decent price.

Much less active on this forum than in the past.

Check out my live streams: http://lerven.me
follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/liamerven

2019-07-22 14:35:35

The number separation is difficult to understand. I am not able to tell how many of each ship I have on a square. I know, but for some reason I can't hear, I'm hearing the wrong number, or I'm just not understanding.
Thus saying, I really like the game!
I would like a scan function where I can see what's around me, similar to n when you are on the planets you own, but I would like it everywhere.
It would also be cool if there were spatial sound effects for enemy movements.

Is there some way where I can make my colony ships the last to be attacked in the fleet?

2019-07-22 15:09:21

mazen wrote:

Sorry but the voice is shit

No moderation or anything, but there is no need for that sort of comment. The author of the game is profoundly deaf so I think that has a lot to do with his voice being the way it is. Either way. Why not be constructive instead?

Much less active on this forum than in the past.

Check out my live streams: http://lerven.me
follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/liamerven

2019-07-22 15:32:33

From the demo that was made, I would agree. The voice is unpleasant to listen to and while I can understand it, it takes a bit of effort.

As a sort of rebuttal from one of the sentiments posted earlier, about the developers making games they themselves would want to play, that's fine. In fact, it might even be better than making a game just to make one. The fact is though, quite a few people have expressed discontent with the voice that is used, and I think quite reasonably so. I as well do not wish to be rude, but the person narrating the game does seem to have somewhat of a speech impediment. When you have a situation like that, you just don't use your voice for professional grade projects. This is a commercial game after all.

I get not wanting to have to pay for voice actors, thus, driving the cost of the product up, and maybe even out of affordable range for some; however, your intransigence on this issue is leading to a situation that detracts from the overall experience.

Also, I would like to point out that as the developers', claiming that you all have no difficulty or problem with the voice is... hmm, I'm trying to find the right word, not irrelevant, but perhaps less relevant because you're so close to the issue. It's a similar problem to educated sighted TVIs and O&M instructors thinking they know what it means to be blind or VI. Yes, their field of study grants them some insights here, perhaps quite a few, but there is just no better thing than experience.

@87 That was an extremely insensitive remark. You have to remember that developers are still people.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-07-22 15:43:35

Liam,

Thanks for the offer, and for the comment in post 88.

Re: voice discussion.

I can only assume that people are either choosing to ignore, or haven't read, the thread just on this page of the discussion.  Aaron has mentioned twice in this page that he's working on a solution, that while it might not meet with any of the critics' approval, is a solution that they can take advantage of.

As to whether our intransigence is hurting the game, or whether people's stated discontent should be a reason to change it, the final decision is ours.  We listen, and we have talked about this issue with each release.  Given that a number of people on this forum have complained about the name of Guidedog as being too blind specific, i'm surprised that so many people think that someone who has "a speech impediment" or is "profoundly handicapped" should not use their voice or perform useful work in society.

You can't have it both ways.  Either you want things a certain way, or you should encourage entrepreneurship within the disabled community, no matter whether it's a blind person, deaf, mentally challenged, or whatever you wish to pick.

That said, as I pointed out earlier, Aaron's already made two announcements of a change in this policy, so it seems even worse to continue to beat on a dead issue.

Frastlin,

What would you like to see as an alternative to the current way ships are discuss on planets?  If you fleet them up, you can see them in a menu one at a time or on scrollers.  If you choose not to, the way we did it seems to us the most elegant and least spammy way of handling it, but we're open to other suggestions.

Take care,

Jeremy

2019-07-22 15:58:35

I’M so sorry. I did not know he is deaf. Again, sorry.

2019-07-22 17:17:14

@90 It would still have been an insensitive remark even not knowing that. Try attacking the problem and not the person. I think we're all too quick to forget that there are real people behind the keyboard at times.

@89 your ideals do not line up with reality, unfortunately. You claim we quote, want it both ways, end quote; that is simply not the case. Seeing how the main method of feedback in this game is recorded human speech, it is not unreasonable to assert that the voice in question should be clear, easy to understand and at least somewhat pleasant. You seem to be forgetting the fact that we do have a fair few international community members who do understand English; however, with it being their second or even third language, a clear voice would really help them out.

Further, you seem to be under the impression that people are complaining about a perfectly pleasant voice, and that's just not the case. I don't want to harp on about it because of the circumstances, it's not exactly a nice thing to do, but perhaps the decision to do this in house with someone was a bit ill-conceived. As to your comments on whether a person with a speech impediment should use their voice professionally, i would say most likely not. I don't use my eyes professionally, and most totals wouldn't either. VI people might, depending on the severity of their condition, but even then, it's not affecting anyone else, and they're able to do what needs doing.

I understand how this is a touchy topic. I don't exactly enjoy pointing out someone's disability or making that the focal point of the discussion. In this case though, I will say that the voice in question is not suitable for professional work. I don't have any malice or ill will towards the owner of that voice, and indeed wish them well and the company itself well in its pursuit of making more games.

Yes, I agree that the decision is yours, but pointing out that intransigence and close-mindedness will hurt the game and the company overall is simply criticism. Take it or leave it as you will. The best games strive for a balance between the developers' vision and community feedback ((suggestions, criticisms, etc.).

End racism
End division
Become united

2019-07-22 17:42:45

i don't actually think anybody is attacking anybody here. the point sadly is that if you're relying on a voice to play a game or access a given application then said voice needs to be clear and easily understood. the voice used in this game is neither clear, easily understood or easy on the ears.
a lot of work has gone into this game that much is obvious, but the in game voice really does not do it any justice at all.
sadly i cannot play a game with a voice like that and will be uninstalling which i find disappointing.

2019-07-22 18:00:46

Ironcross,

I would agree with you if there hadn't been numerous points made earlier that we were looking at changing this setting.

As to your opinion of the voice, that's fine, but the reason we did so are twofold:

1. Of the two of us, at the time, Aaron had the better microphone and recording setup to handle the voice duties. 

2.  Paying for professional voice acting is frankly unrealistic.  It would either be prohibitive and basically cut any profit we make to 0, or it would cause us to price the games far above where we wanted.

We could have others do so on a volunteer basis, but that then puts our production schedule at the mercy of numerous others whom we have to wait on, possibly not use depending on recording quality, and then coordinate.

For the first few games those considerations decided the matter.

With this game, the fact is like it or not, the voice is part of what sets our games apart from others. I accept your point about international players, but if the game is in English, no matter the voice, it's possible to run into the issues no matter what device is delivering the text. 

Working with the community has been something we have done extensively in the past, so I find this line of argument fececious at best.  We released updates to all of our games except Interceptor within a month or so of their release to address issues brought up by the community--other than the sself-voicing.  The only reason we have not offered an update to Interceptor yet, is that we are planning to do a complete overhaul of the game to make it a better experience, not just apply some patches to a game that we felt, in retrospect,  was not as good as it could be.

We have addressed this voicing issue numerous times, just in this thread, not to mention in previous threads.  We have noted three times now before this that we're exploring use of another synthesizer.  We're not going to address this further.  At this point, continuing to argue about the voice is frankly, an attack.  If someone tells you they are changing something, then continuing to criticize the thing being changed is not constructive nor criticism. 

Take care,

Jeremy

2019-07-22 18:19:52

unfortunately people are not going to read every single posting in this thread. as such you will get people who will look at the game, jump onto the forums, either post their own thread with their findings good or bad or add to an existing thread good or bad. it's something that is done universally whether it be here or on a more mainstream site. it has to be said however that on a mainstream site it can be a lot more cutthroat than this.

2019-07-22 18:35:47

vga wrote:

We released updates to all of our games except Interceptor within a month or so of their release to address issues brought up by the community--other than the sself-voicing.

Well now you can do that as well because of 87's offer smile

End racism
End division
Become united

2019-07-22 20:21:07 (edited by defender 2019-07-22 20:22:14)

@VGA
I don't think it's that people truly believe a partially def person should feel like they can't talk for fear of shame, hell I have allot of partially def friends, one of them even sings a couple songs he's memorized and sounds pretty good too, but he's also a tech instructor and I'll sure as shit ask him to repeat him self when I can't understand something, because not doing so would waste both of our time.
More I think it's that, because we are also disabled, we don't feel like we need to dance around the issue, yank your chain and wear kit gloves quite as much as someone who isn't.  We aren't terrified of going directly to hell without passing go or collecting 200 dollars by saying something...
A blind person drawing graphics for their game is a crap idea if they don't have enough vision to do it properly, and so is a person with a speech impediment (if it's strong enough to be a problem for people) doing voice over work
This is just fact, feelings shouldn't enter into it, but that's unrealistic as we're humans.  And again it only really matters this much because the game is paid...  Before the only one it hurt was you guys, now it's potentially the customers.
We've said it allot of times in allot of ways.  Nicely and not so nicely...  It's too bad it had to come to a head like this but you probably should have just listened to us earlier and bit the SAPI/Screen Reader bullet despite the issues, as many games have in the past successfully, or gotten someone else to do vocals or recorded TTS samples and used them with your existing system.
And let me make it clear that I'm not excusing people being super blunt or dickish about this either, but the truth still remains weather or not any of us likes it, and trust me, no one with even a shred of empathy wanted to say anything that could hurt Aaron's feelings once they found out it was a disability, they just felt they had too at a certain point despite their misgivings about it.

I still enjoy intercepter despite the voice, and I think I could deal with this game too as the gameplay would probably make up for it, but it's still a menu driven game and it would be distracting from the experience you've worked so hard to craft for us.
Either way though I don't have the cash for it LOL.

2019-07-22 20:58:31

Precisely. You have a small, niche market that will try anything, and if it is free of charge, they'll play the heck out of it even if it is mediocre at best. I think your game probably is beyond mediocre, and probably pretty good from what I've heard of it. However, this small, niche market also has a bit of an issue, which is finances. When you sell to a group of people with limited cash to spend on frivolities and luxury items like games, they are going to want to make smart purchases. To go along with that, they will want to feel as though the thing they're buying is worth it. When you have such an integral part of the game as the voice be less than optimal, it really does detract from the experience.

Your attitudes aren't helping matters either. And while you say change is at hand, I didn't see much commitment to that end, just that things would be looked into. However, maybe I missed something. But hey, maybe your sales numbers will speak to you in a way that you will be receptive to, as you have been minimally receptive toward us.

End racism
End division
Become united

2019-07-22 21:03:03

@defender
i have to agree with you. being blind and now totally blind i don't beat about the bush i say what needs to be said and with no filters as i see no need for them. that's not to say i wish to hurt anybody because i don't. equally you have to be realistic about a given situation. if a given thing doesn't work then it just doesn't work. there are plenty of people out there who don't have speech impediments who's voices are not suitable for voiceovers.
whether this guy is deaf and has speech issues as a result of that is of no importance what so ever. his voice is just not suitable for this sort of thing. not his fault obviously because we can't help what we sound like but if something doesn't work then something doesn't work and there's just nothing that can be done about it.

2019-07-22 21:42:29 (edited by drums61999 2019-07-22 21:45:55)

vga wrote:

We are working on generating a text file with the file names and the strings each file has which may help translators or other players who just want to mod the game by providing their own pack instead. The bulk of the work here will be on whom ever wants to make the mod, but it should be a possibility. I have to code a new entry in settings though to allow for this, because if you put modified speech files in the speech folder the next time the game updates it may accidentally delete them if they're in the default speech folder. So this will involve pointing the game at a completely separate folder.

That should help those who don't like the voice, and that sounds like it is what you all are asking for. It also allows for the game to be translated into different languages.

Still, I hate ESpeak, but I would play a game that used it because of the game, just like I do with microsoft Anna. The problem here is that while this happens on mainstream forums, it is not the main source of advertising for the game. Not to mention the much wider audience. When four or five people there don't like something it probably gets lost in the noise, whereas here, that is a decent percentage and can dominate a discussion so much that the advertising of the game is overshadowed.

yes, but since it's a smaller audience, shouldn't they take those four or five people more seriously because it is a larger percentage?

Keep in mind too, the developers are blind, and might be in the same boat with limited resources to buy fancy things like voice actors or sound libraries. It's not like the amount of sales they are going to make, even if it becomes a top game is enough to live on. Manamon sold what, 300ish copies? That's $12,000.00 at $40 per copy. If EKS did the same, it would net them $6,000 to split between two of them, and that's not counting after credit card fees. I think the fact they are working on another way, even if the onus is then on the user to make recordings, is a fair compromise.

Still too, not liking someone's voice for voiceover work, is like saying blind people can't do web development because they can't see fonts or work with image placements. If you actually listened to my demo all the way through that I posted in post 74, or tried the game, you would get used to it. Sighted people don't understand or like our synthesizers either, but we are used to them, and while we might prefer eloquence over sapi, or dektalk over eloquence, we muddle through and eventually are okay with it.

I am very disappointed that there have been fewer discussions of the game itself rather than the cosmetics because it really is a pretty awesome game, and the update should incorporate some of the suggestions brought up by people here once the bugs get worked out.

thanks,
Michael

2019-07-22 22:10:15 (edited by frastlin 2019-07-26 07:09:14)

I would like to be able to view all the ships on a planet without needing to fleet them.
I would also like some kind of story line that will have me complete missions at different levels as I progress through the story line.
Currently it feels as if the game is like poker, just one game chunks at a time. I love the game, but get tired of making my own opponents.