so i have noticed many people wanting to know how to use discord with the NVDA screen reader. so this post will be a tutorial on how to use discord using the NVDA screen reader. Mods you can sticky this if you want.
note, there will be some headings. to move to the next post navigate by heading level 3.
note 2, this will be using the windows operating system.
does this tutorial cover mobile?
no, only discord for windows.
for mobile the most accessible version is discord for android. so sorry IOS users the discord version for IOS is far from accessible.
if this changes then post below and i will edit this post.
Oh and one more note, i don't know if the version for mac is accessible.
Before we start
get the most accessible version of discord.
have the latest version of NVDA which can be found here.
also make sure you already have an account with discord. if not sign up here
open discord canary which is the version we downloaded earlier
press the up and down arrows
when you here dialogue press enter. note, this is an accessibility bug that is known and is currently being fixed by discord's accessibility team.
you may need to log in into your account. do it now
after logging in press D or shift + D to go to the word that says direct messages.
this is the home page. here you can find your:
dm conversations in chronological order.
the activity feed.
ok now lets go into some servers.
press Shift+d or D to go to the word that says direct messages. you can navigate by shift + G to here each server. Once you here the server you want to go to press the enter key.
if you have created a server and want to change some settings.
press shift + D.
press space. then, go to the chat box.
press shift + tab.
use your arrow keys.
to navigate by channels do the following:
Press shift + D
navigate by button
there, NVDA will read out the channels per button. to go to a channel press enter.
roles and moderation
oh uh. i apparently forgot this.
so in a nutshell roles are like the higherkey of the server.
admins this is the highest role
moderators (this is the role below admin but can kick, ban and give warnings to users
everyone (members of the server.)
ok the list above is just an example.
now this is how to set and modify roles.
go to your server settings. (see above for more details on how to go to your server settings)
go to roles
click on new role
note, this will not be in list format.
- Navigate Between Servers Control ALT Arrow Key UP & Control ALT Arrow Key DOWN
- Navigate Between Channels ALT Arrow Key UP & ALT Arrow Key DOWN
- Navigate Between Unread Channels ALT Shift Arrow Key UP & ALT Shift Arrow Key DOWN
- Navigate Between Unread Channels with Mentions Control Shift ALT Arrow Key UP & Control Shift ALT Arrow Key DOWN
- Mark Channel as Read Escape
- Mark Server Read Shift Escape
- Toggle Hotkeys Control Slash
- Return to Previous Text Channel Control B
- Return to Active Audio Channel Control ALT A
- Toggle Pins Popout Control P
- Toggle Mentions Popout Control @
- Toggle Channel Member List Control U
- Toggle Emoji Picker Control E
- Scroll Chat Up or Down Page Up & Page Down
- Jump to Oldest Unread Message Shift Page Up
- Create or Join a Server Control Shift N
- Answer Incoming Call Control Enter
- Find or Start a Direct Message Control K
- Decline Incoming Call Escape
- Create A Private Group Control Shift T
- Start Call in Private Message or Group Control Left Square Bracket
- Focus Text Area Tab
- Return to Connected Audio Channel ALT Left Arrow Key
- Return to Previous Text Channel ALT Right Arrow Key
- Toggle Mute Control Shift M
- Toggle Deafen Control Shift D
- Get Help Control Shift H
- Upload a File Control Shift U
to set status do the following:
press space at the set status menu.
go to the chat box.
press shift + tab.
use your arrow keys.
credit to Minionslayer in the blind official discord server.
thanks for that. i don't have any cool servers to join. what should i join?
join us in discord testers. you can report bugs or talk in the accessibility channels. the accessibility team is monitoring those channels and what improvements people want to see in accessibility.
join us to give feedback on discord
click here to join the audiogames.net discord server
join us in Blind official
join the audiovault.net discord server here
this list of servers is going to be updated as i find cool servers to join.
giving away your screen reader info, anonymously!
When logging into discord you may have seen the prompt about giving annonimous screen reader info to the developpers of discord. For those wondering about this you can read more here.
I don't understand this tutorial/I need help.
contact me @thetechguy#6929 on discord. I am also active in the discord testers, blind official and discord feedback discord servers which i linked above. you can also just post below and i'll try to answer your questions.
is there an actual problem with discord? contact discord support
hopefully this tutorial helped people who want to use discord.
Access discord canary, where the latest accessibility fixes are pushed first on the web here!
interesting podcast about the IOS app. see post 74.
edited (november 28, 2019)
If you found this post helpful, amusing or funny, please thumb it up!
To get in touch, please email me using the email link below this post. If you prefer, you can also send me a friend request on discord. I'm thetechguy#6929. Please do not send me a PM on here as I don't check those often.