2019-07-04 20:33:15

I don't know why, but skype makes jaws go pretty slowly on my computer, and discord generally runs a lot faster for me. Maybe try discord again, accessibility has gone leaps and bounds.

Thumbs up

2019-07-04 20:37:03

I've said before, but will say again: being outraged, surprised, shocked, upset, I totally get that.
This is why I'm in favour of this topic and what it stands for. Find a different way and a different venue to discuss the vault, and everything's good, at least insofar as that goes. Thank you, at the least, for not resorting to childish personal attacks and such. I recognize that you don't agree with this decision, and I have an inner rebel of my own, believe me. I'll be honest; on a fundamental level, the entirety of this discussion kills me a little inside. I'd love to live in a society where such things as copyright didn't even have to exist, and this was a nonissue. We don't exist in that society though, so we're trying to do the best we can with what we've got.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

Thumbs up

2019-07-04 20:46:57

I've already told you, several times, in detail, why your stance is unnecessary. You choose to carry on believing what you do, which suggests to me the above post is a load of bullshit.

Thumbs up

2019-07-04 21:38:28

I'm still thinking a subreddit would be a decent idea.

To see a world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wild flower.
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.
William Blake - Auguries of Innocence, line 1 to 4

Thumbs up

2019-07-04 21:40:16

@29, as a frequent Reddit user, I second this.

Close your eyes and let the words paint a thousand pictures.

Thumbs up

2019-07-04 21:48:20 (edited by targor 2019-07-04 21:49:08)

As much as I disagree with this decision, and believe me I do, I can't help laughing at posts like "There will be a huge uprising ( insert imperial march here ) and everything this comunity ever stood for will fall and go down in cleansing flames now, forever lost in the winds of time" ( slightly exagerated but really not much ). Seriously guys, this is an online forum, not a political dictatorship. I know it sucks, but in my opinion this just makes you look childish and melodramatic.

We are pleased, that you made it through the final challenge, where we pretended we were going to murder you. We are throwing a party in honor of your tremendous success. Place the device on the ground, then lay on your stomach with your arms at your sides. A party associate will arrive shortly to collect you for your party. Assume the party submission position or you will miss the party.

Thumbs up +1

2019-07-04 22:07:21

Thank you! Ye gods! Some freaking perspective at last!

Thumbs up

2019-07-04 23:32:12 (edited by defender 2019-07-04 23:33:25)

I was just about to post the same thing Targor did.
@Sky Guardian and @master Of Death, if all your going to do is fan the flames, speculate, and be melodramatic and pouty about this situation, than please log off the forum, go outside or do something else enjoyable to calm down, then come back when you can actually post something useful, or just say nothing at all and let those who can control their emotions better talk.
I don't care how you feel about Jade and I don't care how you feel about this most recent action by the mods.  If you ever really cared about audiogames.net, you wouldn't be the one screaming (we're all going to die!) and making everything worse unnecessarily.
If you truly want to help the situation, then put your energy into helping to make an alternative forum instead of pushing this one further into the fire.
This all applies to @G97 as well, the only difference is that he's got at least a little bit of something useful to say sprinkled throughout the "reeeeeee." "reeeee." "reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!"

Buy the worlds greatest machine gun. It's about 50 inches in length, It's huge! & it can shoot really far, &, it's cheap!
Lets demonstrate this: stand still Thom...
Okay ma.aaa!
Oh! crap!

Thumbs up

2019-07-05 00:25:13

I just created a poll so people can vote on their preferred method to discuss obtaining content with audio description. https://forum.audiogames.net/post/446452/

Thumbs up

2019-07-05 00:39:04

I have just cast a vote in your pole, because yes I do think there needs to be a place.

Thumbs up

2019-07-05 00:49:53

I voted Reddit, but I don't know if they'd pull it or not.  Still it would save someone having to make a forum... Skype group would also get more people but wouldn't work as well.

Buy the worlds greatest machine gun. It's about 50 inches in length, It's huge! & it can shoot really far, &, it's cheap!
Lets demonstrate this: stand still Thom...
Okay ma.aaa!
Oh! crap!

Thumbs up

2019-07-05 01:29:58

Another idea would be to go with a Reddit clone like Raddle, Saidit, Voat, etc. I can see a similar situation to the one here playing out on Reddit, especially if people are requesting copyright-infringing material. Plus, a subreddit would need some serious moderation to keep people from posting direct links, as I think that's where most of the trouble lies. That's the approach other subs have taken, and they've still caught the attention of the admins.

Thumbs up

2019-07-05 02:00:45

I wouldn't recommend reddit as it's entirely public. The good thing about discord is that they don't give a shit until somebody reports it, and if moderation is up to standard, nobody will see it who doesn't like what's going on in order to report it.

Thumbs up

2019-07-05 02:02:06

@34 can you add discord to your poll please?

Seriously everyone, it's more accessible than skype, certainly more than facebook, less cluttered than reddit and better (that is to say, less) moderated than any of these things. The only downside is that accessibility on mobile sucks.

Thumbs up

2019-07-05 02:04:08

Admittedly, I have no trouble whatsoever with facebok and group chats and the like, and have never tried discord, but this is good stuff. I love that people are trying to consider the best platform from a variety of intersections here. One is more popular but more likely to be moderated. Another might be less accessible but it's far easier to moderate. At last check, I thought discord was rairly bad, accessibility-wise, but if it's not, that's awesome and I'm pleased to hear it.

Thumbs up

2019-07-05 02:06:43

@je97, Discord is the first option in the poll. Let me know if you still can't see it because this is the first poll I've created on this site, so I might've done something wrong.

Thumbs up

2019-07-05 02:23:09

Hi, I see it now. Weirdly when you cycle through the radio buttons with jaws it lists as 'write message.'

I'll summarise what I think are the advantages and disadvantages of each platform below, it might help people get some sort of idea of what each system entails.

Discord:
Advantages: Very accessible via pc, available on every web browser, supports multiple channels, easy to moderate, lax enforcement, voice chat, customiseable
Disadvantages: Really bad mobile accessibility.

Create a forum:
Advantages: customiseable, easy to moderate, whatever enforcement you like, I can do it in 5 minutes, accessible
Disadvantages: Unless you want to be tied to a providers terms of service, will require small payments for web hosting.
Reddit:
Advantages: it's relatively accessible, organised.
Disadvantages: That website is very cluttered, getting stricter with moderation, publicly viewable.
Facebook group:
Advantages: everybody has facebook, pretty accessible, available in most languages, good mobile accessibility, ability to make private
Disadvantages: Likely to get cluttered, only one channel available, moderated, tied to real life identities

Skype group:
Advantages: No sorry you've stumped me. I can't think of an advantage to a skype group.
Disadvantages: Gets less and less accessible with every update, tied to rl identities, only one channel, moderated

Whats app:
Advantages: Relatively unmoderated, mobile friendly, accessible
Disadvantages: Not exactly desktop friendly, may get spammy.

Thumbs up +1

2019-07-05 02:25:04

Oh sorry, I forgot mailing list.

Mailing list:
Advantages: very accessible, relatively quick, private to a point, ability to create separate threads
Disadvantages: Spammy, tied to real life identities, targets for highjackers

Thumbs up +1

2019-07-05 03:14:02

You can create private subreddits I thought, that might help somewhat.

To see a world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wild flower.
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.
William Blake - Auguries of Innocence, line 1 to 4

Thumbs up

2019-07-05 03:14:47

We could do with hearing from Grif or whoever else is directly involved with the running of the vault itself. It'd be ideal if they have the time, if they could also be involved with whatever forum is set up. Based on the previous thread, I don't imagine much moderation will be necessary beyond spam removal or whatever. I can't see there being any drama to worry about. The vault needs a place where Grif and co can make announcements, let people know how they can contribute, thank people etc. At the moment the vault has had its blood supply cut off, and it will whither or die altogether if it doesn't get a new one.

Thumbs up +1

2019-07-05 06:15:44

This makes me think of something.
How is it legal for BlindMiceMegaMall and AudioVault to host audio versions of films and TV shows?
Similarly, there is a web site called Scribd, where users buy memberships and can upload various documents and audio files.

Ulysses
Ham radio call sign: KJ7ERC
AKA TheForeverFlyer and HeavenlyHarmony
My new, self-hosted version of WordPress!

2019-07-05 06:48:53

You don't need to purchase web hosting to set up a forum; all you need do is buy a VPS and set it up that way and ou can administrate/moderate to your hearts content.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.

Thumbs up

2019-07-05 06:58:17

I have yet to try Discord at all, but how is Skype getting more inaccessible with every update? It seems like it's been pretty consistent. This is using the JAWS scripts from dlee.org, not the default FS ones. Also this is Electron and not UWP.

Thumbs up

2019-07-05 07:03:45

What is uWP and Electron?
I've been using Skype 8 on my computer, though for some reason, there appears to be two instances of it running simultaneously. One which is not accessible, and another one that is, which looks like you are navigating a web page. I'm using NVDA, by the way.

Ulysses
Ham radio call sign: KJ7ERC
AKA TheForeverFlyer and HeavenlyHarmony
My new, self-hosted version of WordPress!

2019-07-05 08:12:25

@Ethin I have a physical server in my house, so if I was running the forum nobody would have to buy anything. That's a lot of trust they don't have any reason to put in me though.

Thumbs up