2019-07-04 17:38:43 (edited by flackers 2019-07-04 18:38:40)

Is there a forum going to be set up somewhere else where we can discuss all things audio described? It's not illegal to discuss audio described content, so let's set something up huh? Bear in mind that any mention on here of websites that contain copyrighted material will result in moderation, so be careful what you say. People can however discuss the formation of a place to discuss audio description elsewhere. And once that place is up and running, we can talk about anything we like. I personally am not in a position to set anything up, but I just thought I'd create a platform for others to discuss it if they like. Plus anything else audio description related, as long as it's legal.

Thumbs up +2

2019-07-04 17:51:30

its all of jade's fault because he and others are just speaking and not listening to others when they are saying nothing will happen, so for this shit, i am out, ban me for all i care, have fun destroying the forum, admins, jade this is all your fault, 10 to 15 years gone because of you, by by now

everyone in life has something to contribute to this existence, its just if people actually will contribute anything that actually counts

Thumbs up +1

2019-07-04 18:02:10

Try a Skype group and have people spread it via word of mouth, make a mailing list, or just put the news info on the site it's self if a full fledged forum would be too difficult, everyone knows the name so others will tell them when they ask.
Creating additional facebook, whatsapp, and google groups would help, but managing all those would be difficult.  I'd just try and choose the method that almost all people will be able to use already without learning a new system.

Buy the worlds greatest machine gun. It's about 50 inches in length, It's huge! & it can shoot really far, &, it's cheap!
Lets demonstrate this: stand still Thom...
Okay ma.aaa!
Oh! crap!

Thumbs up

2019-07-04 18:08:00

I've been active on online forums, both as a user and an administrator, for over 10 years and I can say conclusively that Jayde's attitude to criticism is some of the worst I have ever witnessed from an administrator.

As for the question, I'd recommend discord, as you can open tickets (good for requests to stop them cluttering up the chat), customise it, and have multiple discussion channels. Given the attitude of the audiogames.net moderators and administrators however it might be worth opening that discord group up to far more discussion than just audio described movies.

Thumbs up +2

2019-07-04 18:11:53

I'd actually welcome this. Alternative discussion channels are usually a very good thing.

Just remember that we do want to make certain that people are not getting hurt. The smaller the fish, the more it hurts when you steal from them. Your big-budget mainstream media creators may not lose much, but this community has lately had a pretty large problem with regard to things that aren't theirs to spread, change or even possess. Be careful that you don't end up fostering the very same toxic atmosphere we're attempting to clear up. That's my only advice to you.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

Thumbs up +1

2019-07-04 18:13:57

jade, what drugs are you on?

everyone in life has something to contribute to this existence, its just if people actually will contribute anything that actually counts

Thumbs up +1

2019-07-04 18:14:40

Another benefit of a discord server is that the admins can moderate who gets to see it. If it's a mailing list generally anybody can sign up.

Thumbs up

2019-07-04 18:15:13

@6 I don't want them, they seem scary lol

Thumbs up

2019-07-04 18:21:59

Lol agreed, 8.

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger; anger leads to hate; hate leads to suffering."

Thumbs up

2019-07-04 18:25:43

Alright, I'm putting my stance here.
I'm genuinely glad someone is asking for alternatives, and I'm even saying this as an admin of this very forum. I am going to say that it has *never*, ever been our intention to actually shut down the vault itself. But there needs to be a way people can continue to discuss this off forum. I once suggested that that site should become more than just a repository at some point anyway, expanding to blogs and things about what companies can do to get more content audio described, and also adding links to the legal repositories such as iTunes and Netflics because they actually are not very well advertised. as well. Plus, doing what it's doing if necessary. Not a restructure/change, but an expansion of it's concept.
Now, here's the thing. Regarding linking to this new discussion place, this is a really grey area.
I do not see why it can't be linked with to begin with, however, I am going to say now that if we allow this, that link is *not* going to be able to permanently stay on the audiogames forum and will have to eventually be spread by word of mouth, with a topic removal (not closure, but removal) date set.
I don't know what Jayde will think of me doing this post and making my feelings wide open but this is how I feel.
This is, honestly, the only compromise I can see working for everyone.

Thumbs up

2019-07-04 18:28:17

Could the link be shared in private messages?

Thumbs up

2019-07-04 18:51:48

jade is ruening this forum everyone is noticing it, and if this bull shit doesn't stop there will be an uprising that could end this forum and everything it was meant for

Thumbs up

2019-07-04 18:52:35

Aaron, just as a heads-up, you asking what I think is cool and all, but doing it that way looks an awful lot like you're asking my permission. If anyone is asking permission of anyone, it should be me of you. You have seniority on me, if nothing else at all.
Point is, though, that I agree with what you said pretty much down to the ground. It's not that we actually want to shut down the vault, stall accessibility issues or anything of the like. We want more mainstream inclusion as much as the next person. But the vault thread was not the best way to go about it, so we're changing how we deal with that. I like the idea of having other places to talk about this, and I like the idea of being able to pass the info around, but I also agree that this link shouldn't just be bandied about on this forum willy-nilly, else why did we do this in the first place?

Thumbs up

2019-07-04 18:55:10

So, this vault topic was up for more than months. And until now, it didn't bother any of the moderators. For me it feels like oh I'm bored, let's find some more topics to lock for some weird reasons.

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger; anger leads to hate; hate leads to suffering."

Thumbs up

2019-07-04 18:57:54

This is why I'm saying, allow the link to be put into *this topic only*, *for a limited time*, and then, set a topic date, let everyone on this topic know the date has been set, and then on that date, wipe. I hope people are swift about this. Then go via pm or whatever, but at first, the link needs a *little* more reach than pm. However, it can not stay. It will have to be pm only eventually. Word of mouth.

Thumbs up

2019-07-04 19:01:28

@Flackers, if this topic is about audio-described content - which it is, you're quite right - then why are you being hypocritical and not calling out those who are simply making personal attacks on me and generally not contributing? Posts 2, 6, 8, 9 and 12, I believe.
That's got nothing to do with audio content either. Unless, of course, what you're saying is that productive discussion about how long links to audio-described content, in an open forum where everyone (not just staff) is free to speak their mind, is against your wishes, but people bashing others is kosher? Not quite sure what you're on about here.

Thumbs up

2019-07-04 19:19:20

Can it also be for accessible console games? And hold up. why can't you all just send a PM to everybody on this forrum? With respect, Juan Carlos Noel Reina.

Thumbs up

2019-07-04 19:23:34

Hi.

A discord server sounds pritty good, skype would also work for me, but having moderated serversk, with moderators who actually understand their job is easier for all of those who participate.

And at 16, the reason why he isn't calling out those who attack you. Well, maybe because you deserve it?

Greetings Moritz.

Hömma, willze watt von mir oder wie, weil wenn nich, dann lass dir mal sagen, laber mir kein Kottlett anne Wange und hömma, wo wir gerade dabei sind, dann iss hier hängen im Schacht, sonns klapp ich dir hier die Fingernägel auf links, datt kannze mir mal glaubn.

Thumbs up

2019-07-04 19:25:11

skype or  discord is great idea

you can contact me with email: [email protected], or you can find me in quentine sceenes playroom named gamer2004

Thumbs up

2019-07-04 19:34:57

I agree with 14. If the discussion of the vault was a problem, then why was the topic allowed to continue for as long as it did? What was the point of just up and closing it all of a sudden? I understand that it's a definite gray area when it comes to copyrighted content being shared/discussed on this site, but if it was an issue, then the topic should have been closed a long time ago. Were there any moderation warnings at all? I haven't looked through all of the posts, so I can't be sure. Why couldn't there have just been a warning to find a new place to discuss the vault in the original topic? Aaron is suggesting that the link to this potential new community be posted in this topic for a certain amount of time before being deleted. Why couldn't this have happened in the original topic? After a certain amount of time, the link could have been removed and the topic deleted for good. Instead, the original topic (even though closed) still remains with all of it's posts, and a second topic has been made based around the same subject matter. In my opinion, the moderation was certainly extreme.

Close your eyes and let the words paint a thousand pictures.

Thumbs up

2019-07-04 19:50:42

I would definitely prefer discord to skype. Discord allows for multiple channels, so chat and requests don't end up being cluttered up together. Skype is also way more system-intensive, and I would argue less accessible now.

Thumbs up

2019-07-04 19:51:35

The methodology was simple:

1. That thread is full of specific requests. This thread won't be (if it is, this will be dealt with, so please don't do it).
2. That thread is the discussion of the vault's contents. This thread is a discussion of how to spread/talk about the vault off forum, now that we're cracking down.
3. Flackers's original post saying so is still in the other thread, which will begin to sink now that it can't be posted to. Getting it out of easy visibility is not a bad thing.
4. I agree with you. This should have been done months ago.
5. No one is being warned, cautioned or otherwise punished for that thread. The move was sudden, I'll grant you, but extreme? No. You have been aware that we were going to crack down on some of this for weeks now, maybe even a month or two. Today was just the day it happened. It was going to occur, and I'm fairly convinced that no matter how much warning we gave, some people would still howl.
6. All we have really done is stopped discussion of the vault's contents themselves from here on out. We have not yet stopped you discussing an alternative off the forum. That's what this thread is for, and that's why both admins who have chimed in on the subject, myself and Aaron, support what's being done here. But to my way of thinking, at least, this belonged in a separate thread. Why, after all, keep bumping up a thread that has egregious evidence of potential piracy in it? No, I think this is better.

So have on. Discuss away.

Thumbs up +1

2019-07-04 20:03:49

I wonder if they could host something on the audio vault site itself. Not sure though as it would take up a lot of time that could rather be spent on content, so someone else might need to do it.

Thumbs up

2019-07-04 20:08:12

post 21 discord is so good but skype is more faster and also more easy for use.

you can contact me with email: [email protected], or you can find me in quentine sceenes playroom named gamer2004

Thumbs up

2019-07-04 20:30:51 (edited by flackers 2019-07-04 20:37:23)

@Jade. You must have read that post very quickly because I deleted it soon after. It was intended as an ironic joke about officiousness. The other users aren't behaving officiously so it wouldn't have been relevant. And it was a joke, not a serious complaint. I deleted it because I thought it might be misinterpretted and I just couldn't be fucked with the conversation. I really don't enjoy bad blood. It's just I think the audio vault was harming no one, and when stuff like that is attacked for what I think are such petty reasons it pisses me off, and I start being difficult.

Thumbs up