2019-06-25 00:55:20

Hi folks,

Simple question set of questions.

1. Who uses a Raspberry Pi?

2. What do you use it for?

3. What OS/image are you running, and where did you obtain it?

I'm very interested in pursuing a few small-end projects on a Pi, but not sure where to start. I checked out Raspberry VI, but it looks like the downloads page is down for maintenance.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated! smile

What game will hadi.gsf want to play next?

2019-06-25 01:55:41 (edited by FamilyMario 2019-06-25 01:58:19)

Hi there!
1. I have a Raspberry Pi. Specifically, the Raspberry Pi 3 Model B.
2. I primarily use it for retro console emulation, so most of the time I don't have a keyboard connected, just a USB SNES controller made by Retroflag, plus I have it inside of a mini SNES-style case with working safe power/reset buttons. Anything from Atari 2600 all the way to PlayStation 1 is playable at full speed (forget about N64, however, so compatibility with that console is hit or miss. Mostly miss).
3. I'm running RetroPie, which combines Raspbian Lite as the underlying OS, EmulationStation which is the primary frontend for managing and launching your ROMS, RetroArch which drives most of the Libretro emulators behind the scenes, and several other scripts to enable you to play some classic retro games. I got it from https://retropie.org.uk/ I was previously running NOOBS (NOOBS is an operating system installer) on a micro SD card that came with my CanaKit Raspberry Pi starter kit, however as I primarily bought it for RetroPie, I never bothered playing with NOOBS.

I stated in several topics on this, but I'll reiterate what I said. RetroPie is not accessible, as it primarily uses graphical menus for most of everything, including EmulationStation and RetroArch, both of which are not screen reader friendly. Since I'm low vision I am able to use it just fine.
However, people on here use the Pi for many amazing things, I believe you can look around if you're interested.

2019-06-25 12:50:17

I have a pi 0wh. I am currently using mine for a DStar node. Yes, I am currently into DStar at the second. I using an image called Pi-star. The one thing I must worn you about with this image is that the web UI could use a bit of work when it comes to accessibility, but that really does not get in the way after setup seeing that things can be set so that most of the  needed commands can be sent from the radio or via SSH.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2019-06-25 14:58:10

Hello!
First, I have a Raspberry Pi model 3B+.
Secondly, I am primarily using it to run the Vorail Comapnion software on it.
Third, I got instructions from Raspberry Vi to install Raspbian on it and use my router to log into the server. I did attempt to run Orca on it after installing Gnome or something, but I haven't gotten it to work yet.

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2019-06-25 17:02:58

1. I use a Raspberry Pi. I have 2 of the original Model B devices.
2. I use 1 as a network storage device. I have 10TB connected with movies, music, podcasts, etc that I can play from my TVs. The other Model B is being used as a custom MP3 player. I bought a good-fitting case, hooked up some buttons to it, programmed the buttons to play music files, podcasts, etc, and got it to redirect metadata output through speech synth. It's really nice. And I can connect flash drives and SD Cards because it has a mini USB hub and runs on battery.
3. I just run Raspbian for both.
If the RaspberryVI website is down, you can still buy one and try to use it headless (without keyboard or mouse). Basically, SSH into it. The old versions of Raspbian enabled SSH by default. You can still enable SSH with the newer ones, but you just have to do an extra step or two. Then, you can install SpeakUp and the patch to make it run decently on the Pi. I heard that you can even run desktop environments on the newer ones with Orca! And maybe, just maybe, you can run Windows with NVDA on the newer ones. I wonder if anyone has compiled NVDA for ARM yet?

2019-06-25 17:16:19

I've been thinking about getting a Raspberry Pi 4 and using it as a NAS since it now has USB 3.0 and Gigabit Ethernet. Does anyone know how much power I can pull from the USB ports? I'd like to connect two USB 3 external hard drives, but wonder if having two connected would draw too much power? If possible, I don't want to use a hub.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2019-06-26 19:57:14

I have a 3B plus that I got for Christmas and I mostly use it as a travel computer.
I have a 10000 mah battery pack, the pi in a case and I hooked a keyboard to it, wired for now, but I should go wireless at some point.
I use f-123 light, but I forgot for the hell of me where I got it.
I have a touch screen, but I have no drivers for this os.
I have no idea what else I should do with it, looking for ideas though.
Btw, if someone runs windows on it and tells me how to do it is reaaaaaaly awesome.

I am myself and noone is ever gonna change me, I am the trolling master!

2019-06-26 22:27:50

@Angel Question for you. What is the brand and model of that battery you have there? A 10000 mah battery pack sounds really really nice for what I am doing here.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2019-06-27 04:39:09

I have a few raspberry pi's on hand, a 3B+ and a zero, mostly for hardware projects. The 3B+ is currently running my own version of an [After-Sight] portable sonifier, currently running standard raspbian which you get off [raspberrypi.org]. I'm also using a 24000 mah Aikove battery with it, cost about 36$ off amazon.

@7
Try Windows 10 IoT Core, there's a guide on how to install it on a Pi 3 [here], but I can promise nothing as to its level of accessibility.

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

2019-06-28 14:12:45

I am using a generic USB pack, the name is A plus 10000 I believe and I mostly use it to turn the thing into a traveling computer and charge my phone from the pi itself.
I really need to install something better than f-123 light, it is good for alot of stuff, but the browser is a piece of crap cause it is slow, even that it is firefox.

I am myself and noone is ever gonna change me, I am the trolling master!