2009-04-14 18:25:24

Scott Sigler's story the Crypt has a new episode, and seriously if you only ever listen to one ep of the Crypt it has to be this one. So far he's only released "character sketches" detailing how the characters get into the position for the full blown story, and this one has all the trademark elements of a Sigler story in a single 37 minute episode.

Caution: for mature audiences only, strong language and violence
Head over here and look for the episode 10 about private Pippa something or other. It's one mind blowing story, and is pure Sigler condensed and refined to 100% proof.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2009-04-14 18:58:45

For some reason with podcast novels and stories, I'd always much rather wait until there's a complete story to read through, than do a couple of episodes and then be left hanging on, waiting for the author to update, ----- I'm not sure why, i'm just greedy I suppose, ---- lol!

If The Crypt features more gore than infected though I'll be impressed!

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2009-04-14 19:29:18

So far these are "character sketches", self contained stories giving a separate prelude for each main character. While some of the other stories include spoilers for the previous sketches, this one is entirely 100% independent. It doesn't mention any other character form a prior sketch, and aside from mentioning the appropriate military body it doesn't even mention any specific group that was previously mentioned. You don't gain any benefit from the prior stories to listen to this one even.

Gore level is as yet uncertain. This was sort of a bit like a way creepier version of Ancestor in a single episode though. Each sketch has been different in its own way, but this one is just completely out there. All the rest at least were based around military surroundings, but this was an AWOL woman who seems to have a bit of a dark past going for a break of sorts.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2009-04-14 19:39:25

Hmmmm, I can't find a podiobooks.com page for the Crypt at all for some reason. I wish that sight would let you search by author!

Oh well, it does seem Nocturnal is now finished, so I might start on that to get my fix of gore and nastiness.

Btw, one recent thing I've run into is varient frequencies http://www.variantfrequencies.com/ which seem to have some most intreaguing stuff, --- sort of read with atmospheric sound effects.

i can particularly recommend The failed cities monologues if you fancy something that hovers betwene cyberpunk, post apocalyptic and fantasy.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2009-04-14 20:32:57

I'll certainly have a look at that.

Sigler doesn't put his stuff up on podiobooks until it's finished, he seems to use it as a sort of archive. All in progress stuff is posted purely on his scottsigler.com site along with the news updates. Last I heard they were also working on a movie version of infected too.

All this said I personally found Nocturnal far more interesting than Infected, I kept feeling like Infected was just the intro and it never really took off in the same way the other Sigler stories do.

cx2
-----

2009-04-14 20:48:00

Agreed on that, infected was a litle weak on plot. I rather felt the ending was slightly tacked on at the end, ---- but I'll see what happens when contagious is finished.

Weerdly enough Contagious is on podiobooks, ---- though last I checked it was listed as in progress which is why I haven't started on it yet.

I'll see what I think to nocturnal when I've got a bit further in.