I don't think I ever saw such a large mistrust in moderation team for no reason on any forum. This way, things wont ever get better. If something happened to the server, mods cannot tell you anything. They will be just as lost as you are. Option 3 Liam pointed out is ridiculous, however when Alireza tells you he did not do that you trust him, but when jayde comes here and says that he does not know why it is gone then you are sure mods are abusing their powers? Based on what do you think so since no topic was ever deleted like that? It seems to be just a group of few people not happy with the moderation for whatever reason and spreading conspiracies. If Jayde was so mad at that topic and wanted it gone, would he not issue warnings or bans as well? That just makes no sense, and I refuse to believe anybody willingly deleted it since it never happened, just like editing other posts even though people keep bringing it up.
We now have further confirmation, BTW. Carter has just clarified on list that he did not delete it either. According to Carter, he had a moderation message planned, attempted to send it and was given a forum message about the topic being gone. So at some point between him settling down to write his moderation, and the moment he clicked "submit", the topic disappeared. As to who did it or why it happened is anybody's guess, but now two mods (self included) have stated definitively that they had nothing to do with the occurrence.
It's too bad there's no way to track who deletes threads though. That would prove this one way or the other, I bet.
Jade is the one who did it and I’M totally sure about that.
So at some point between him settling down to write his moderation, and the moment he clicked "submit", the topic disappeared.
Well I suppose that rules out the forum glitch being the cause. I don't know exactly how long it was out, but I felt like it was a while. If he had sat down to write his moderation message then the forum was still working at that time. It could have gone offline while he was typing, and come back up before he hit submit, but it would have been a terribly long time typing out said message.
I'm not saying this to put my support behind any of the claims or suspicions made so far in this topic. I'm just noticing that we are slowly getting closer to some answers, but ruling out one of the things that could have been the issue.
Had Carter's experience been that he started writing his moderation message but found that the whole forum was down when he hit submit, and the topic was gone when it returned, that would still leave us with the 3rd possibility.
If Carter had sat down to write his moderation message only to find the forum was offline, then once it returned he typed it out and submitting revealed that the topic was gone, that too would still leave us with the 3rd possibility.
Assuming we correctly understand how things played out with Carter attempting to post, then some progress has been made.
Jade is the one who did it and I’M totally sure about that.
No. You are not sure about that. You are making speculations. if Jayde had done it, it would be very counterproductive for him to lie about it.
Okay, here are the facts.
1. A topic disappeared. The original poster claims that he has no idea how it happened.
2. I have stated that I had no knowledge of this occurrence and nothing to do with it.
3. Carter has stated on list that he, too, had nothing to do with it, also claiming he was in the process of writing a moderation message before being told he couldn't do so due to the thread being deleted.
4. It is possible for users to delete their own posts.
5. It is possible for anyone to lie, and the likelihood of a person telling the truth has to be taken into account when weighing their testimony.
So here are the possible conclusions I see:
1. The server really did have a hiccup. Everyone is telling the truth, and a weird thing happened.
2. I am lying, and I sneakily deleted the topic and am now trying to hide it. This runs counter to virtually everything I stand for, and I have never done this before, so there is little to no precedent. However, if the thread contained a great deal of hostility directed at me because of the way I operate, then a little suspicion might naturally fall on me. It should be mentioned, however, that this is not the first time I have dealt with negative opinion, and I have not deleted topics before. It's not impossible and can't be utterly ruled out, but it is not a probable conclusion based on available trends.
3. Carter is lying to the staff team, and consequently to the user base now, and sneakily deleted the topic instead of just moderating it as he claimed. Again, Carter does not have a history of bending facts or taking the law into his own hands this way, so while it's possible, it's not likely and there is little to no precedent to support it.
4. Alireza, in fact, is lying, and deleted his own topic in order to stir up further drama and unrest. Alireza, to my knowledge, has never done this before, and has not demonstrated a willingness to lie either for his own gain or in pursuit of what he might see as the greater good. However, the topic in question was essentially a means of garnering hostility toward at least one member of the staff team, and as far as I'm aware, there's no record of who deletes a topic, so this might be a foolproof way to cast more doubt either on me directly, or on the staff team as a whole, with virtually no risk. I do think the likelihood that Alireza is lying is quite low, but it's not impossible either. It is no more or less ridiculous than either point #2 or point #3.
5. Some as-yet-unnamed member of the staff team with the ability to delete topics did it, and has not yet owned up to it. This is possible as well, but given our general propensity for closing over deleting - and there is precedent for this, see Ironcross's thread about trying to get Mason kicked out of here - it would appear unlikely.
Here's what I will tell you though. If there is a way that we can somehow trace who deleted a topic - if there's some sort of internal log somewhere that we can access - we will try and pursue this to the best of our ability. If someone really did attempt to silence Alireza this way, I'm not in favour of the method in which it was handled. At the same time, if Alireza did this in hopes to make people look worse, that's an action done in extremely bad faith and may warrant punishment in its own right. If anyone has any information on this that you can verify, I urge you to come forward with it just as soon as you can. You will not be punished for disclosing information, and if you require anonymity in exchange for said disclosure, I can provide that for you. Please, please do not come forward with info unless it is somehow verifiable, and whatever you do, don't lie in order to further an agenda you support, as that will lead to even worse situations. We're not going to go off half-cocked here and nail anyone to the wall without sufficient evidence, but I don't feel right about shrugging my shoulders and just walking away, either.
And this is the reason I started to care less and less about this place lately, even that I loved and I still love it some what.
And post 33, thumbsup, just because you sounded like Umbridge for the last part, thanks for reminding me of one of my favorite books.
#35 (edited by Mitch 2019-06-12 23:56:00)
@34...I don't think that's a good thing...
If I'm remembering right, on the left side (ugh I guess a visual description isn't helpful here) when you're logged into the control panel you can see deleted threads. Usually this is only soft deleted threads, since it's sort of like the equivalent of a recycle bin. They can be further deleted from this, but it may log the official deletion if that second step is done.
Trying to see if there was a non-visual way to describe this, and online someone said to follow this path to get there.
Settings -> Moderation -> Deleted Items -> Threads
I don't see a control panel, as such. This may be an admin-only thing, or I could just be flat-out missing something, or we could be talking about two different sets of forum software. I'm not sure at the moment. I appreciate that you're trying to help though, so thank you.
Does any one know of any topics they posted in right before this went down? If so, and it went to a back up, wouldn't it have deleted said posts? Also, I Highly doubt any of the moderators did it. Not only is it so brazen an act That anyone under suspicion wouldn’t dare pull off such a thing, but it serves no Purpose for the perpetrator if they were a moderator, there stay in power would bee cut quite short, as someone would find out what they were doing and no one on that team is foolish enough to screw up like that. And how the hell would a mod fuck with the server? Also, it went down for me sometime last night.
#39 (edited by Aprone 2019-06-13 01:17:31)
we could be talking about two different sets of forum software.
That's possible. I know this forum uses the PunBB forum software, but there are probably different plugins or mods people can use when they set them up. The default PunBB forum seems to have ways to look up deleted posts (at least soft deleted ones anyway), so even if this one is configured differently it Should still have the same feature somewhere. I have no idea where, but it would be odd for someone to install forum plugins to specifically remove features such as looking up deleted threads... which is why it's safe to assume the feature is still around (just in a different spot).
Jayde I forgot to mention that the control panel is available to mods too. When I was a mod, it was an option mostly on the right-hand side of the screen, but along the bar at the top. Man it's hard when I only have visual explanations of things. I'm fuzzy on the exact details, but it may have been the same bar that contains things like "Search", "Profile", and "Private messages", just further to the right along the bar.
Its pan bb a moded ver of pun bb
Yeah...unfortunately I've been all over my screen and I can't see it. I'm going to have to take this to list, to see if anyone either 1. has a direct URL to get to what I need or 2. can explain better where to find it. Because I'm fairly savvy when it comes to this sort of thing, and I just don't see it. It's getting in the way of further investigation and annoying the hell out of me in the bargain though.
I also was in the middle of posting a response when the thread disappeared. I read the few posts I wasn't up to speed with, typed my message, read it back, then hit submit and it said something like the page you are trying to access no longer exists. It wasn't that exactly, but something along those lines. I then went straight to the off topic room and looked for the thread and it wasn't there. I assumed it had been deleted by the OP in the few minutes I was reading/writing. I don't believe for one minute Jade or any other mod deleted that thread on the sly. That just rings utterly hollow. Say what you like about Jade, but he faces up to stuff, and is not thin skinned or vindictive. If Jade deleted that topic I'll eat my own balls.
@Flackers, do you have a rough time estimate of when this occurred? Obviously I know there's no way to 100% verify this, but I want to cross-reference something, to see if you and Carter were actually trying to post on that thread near along the same time. If this turns out to be the case, we will have at least determined that whatever happened occurred at a particular time. Not much, I know, but it may be a start.
If Jade deleted that topic I'll eat my own balls.
I almost wish he had deleted it now. Lol.
It was me and i'll take the heat. I simply deleted the topic instead of closing it, to avoid further trolling. That is all, nothing personal, nothing gained by it either.
#46 (edited by flackers 2019-06-13 01:56:19)
Sorry Jade, I haven't a clue what time it was. Wouldn't even like to guess. It was my second post, and I don't know what time either of them was.
does that still qualify for Flackers to eat his own balls? I need entertainment.
@Liam. Thank fuck I didn't say Jade or any other mod. I was going to because I'm extremely surprised it was a mod. Even though I thought the thread was a disgrace, I don't think that was a wise move.
For the sake of reference, I found out the truth of this about ten minutes ago as of the writing of this post. I was not withholding information and no one is or was being protected. When Arqmeister announced what he had done, I asked right away that he come and make his actions public knowledge, and thankfully he did so.