2019-09-17 01:18:23 (edited by lukas 2019-09-17 01:19:08)

Okay, still no luck. Guess it's no more BSC games on this machine for me then.
What didn't help:
* The BSC fix package.
* 7Zip file manager.
* Running through elevated command prompt manually.
* Disabling UAC completely.
* Running as administrator, both manually and from the compatibility settings page.
* Various compatibility settings for Windows XP and even for 98.
* Installing even the extended VB6 runtime libraries that Jack provided the Sourceforge link to.
* Almost all possible combinations of the above.
Lukas

I won't be using this account any more or participating in the forum activity through other childish means like creating an alternate account. I've asked for the account to be removed but I'm not sure if that's actually technically possible here. Just writing this for people to know that I won't be replying, posting new topics or checking private messages until the account is potentially removed.

2019-09-17 04:41:51

can you tell me exactly what happend when you used 7zip, and the steps you went through? Also, where do you have the games installed? In order for them to work with 7zip, you might want to install them in your documents folder.

proud to be a patreon of liam erven. Become a patreon today at patreon.com/liamerven

2019-09-17 07:10:47

The most frustrating thing about this is that it appears to be a hit or miss problem. I am encountering none of these problems on my windows 10 installation. And I actually force-disabled UAC through Winaero Tweaker, because why not.

2019-09-17 11:03:30

I agree, Jack. Well, I don't feel like installing the tweaker just for this purpose, although it might provide other nice tweaks as well, I know. I should probably give it a try. I'm just getting really frustrated with this already, and starting to lose motivation. In any case, my UAC is currently disabled (NVDA reads it as a slider set to 0) through the usual control panel right now.

Bryant, I uninstalled the games and reinstalled them to my Documents folder now, still no luck. Overall, I've already tried a completely different folder called Games, outside of Program Files or Documents, in other words outside of the system protected folders, then I tried the default installation to Program Files (x86), and finally to Documents as you suggested now. No difference at all.
When I try to open the games through 7Zip's file manager, I simply open that, i.e. the file manager, through its link in the Start menu, then I locate the respective game folder and executable, and press enter on that. I even tried the Open context menu item in the file manager but that apparently tries to read the file as raw data or something.

In all cases, no matter what I do or don't do, there is no perceivable response at all, it simply acts as though I haven't pressed enter on the program at all. Like I said, I tried opening the games as administrator and normally, from the elevated command prompt, through the file manager, with various compatibility settings for older Windows, anything, with or without the BSCfix package, and I have a very extensive set of old Visual Basic runtime libraries installed by now. :-D

The only thing the games do when trying to open them is that they create a text file called, for instance, pipe.exe-up.txt, that contains some kind of trace information in hexadecimal form or something. Right after that, they seem to crash immediately, as they are no longer visible in the task manager.
Of course, I have controlled folder access completely disabled in Windows Defender anyway, but just because it was really annoying and interfering with my workflow in general, not just because of the games, and I have even checked the executables with Windows Defender itself, getting no flags at all.

I'm really just about to give up, unless someone knows of a safe to use, virus free, already made talking Windows XP virtual machine.

Thanks a lot for your suggestions, guys, though.
Lukas

I won't be using this account any more or participating in the forum activity through other childish means like creating an alternate account. I've asked for the account to be removed but I'm not sure if that's actually technically possible here. Just writing this for people to know that I won't be replying, posting new topics or checking private messages until the account is potentially removed.

2019-09-17 19:06:28 (edited by bryant 2019-09-17 19:11:34)

this is strange. For me, and for everyone else i've talked to who has tried the 7zip thing, it has worked just fine for them. I wonder if you are missing some sort of component?
Edit: Ok, this is weird indeed, and this should not be happening. I just tried starting pipe 2 normally, that is without the 7zip file manager, and no problems what so ever.

proud to be a patreon of liam erven. Become a patreon today at patreon.com/liamerven

2019-09-17 21:10:20

I do have a windows xp virtual machine. Let me search my hd to see if I still have an unmodified copy.

2019-09-18 07:45:12

That would be absolutely fantastic. Could come in handy in other cases besides just old games, too, such as for testing of new, unknown or untrusted software. I'd really appreciate that.
Thanks,
Lukas

2019-09-18 23:24:49

I think I hav one laying around as well, so if Jack can't give you his I can.

2019-09-19 09:01:43

Yeah, I'd appreciate either one. No word from Jack so far, so maybe let's give it a bit more time, and then if there is still no word and you could give me yours, I'd be really grateful.
Thanks a lot in advance, to either of you. :-)
Lukas

2019-09-20 14:04:06

Ok, Bryant, if you're okay with that, could you please give me yours then? You can send me the link either via e-mail or a PM. As I said, I'll be extremely grateful for that.
Does the machine already have NVDA or another screen reader set up, or will I need to do that myself?
Many thanks in advance,
Lukas

2019-09-23 03:09:45 (edited by jack 2019-09-23 03:10:00)

I'm finally able to access the server again where this resides. Here's the windows xp virtual machine.
http://grossgang.com/vmware/Windows%20XP.exe

2019-09-23 09:18:38

Oh, wow, thanks a lot! I thought you forgot about this or didn't have it any more. Really, thanks a ton, man. Since it's an exe, I assume it's a self-extracting archive and not an installer of some kind? I'm writing this just as it downloads in the background, so this is why I ask. Does it have NVDA included or do I need to get it in there first?
Thanks,
Lukas

2020-03-04 20:39:06

Okay, thanks to the bscfix file, I now have troopanum 2, hunter and classic pipe up and running fine.
Actually it's quite the nostalgia trip to hear good old lord Vector again big_smile.

the one game which doesn't seem to work correctly with the bscfix is blast chamber, even when I tried the bit in the readme with the replacements file, it still didn't appear to work.
This is fine on the face of things, and I'm a lot better off than before, but if anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2020-03-04 21:16:46

Dark: Do you get any errors while trying to run blast chamber. I fixed the game by disabling compatability mode and running as admin. After that I ran the game as admin and it worked. If that doesn't work, install aprone's checkup or winkit.

"Hello Jerry."
"Hello Newman."

2020-03-04 22:49:18

@Aron, Thanks for the advice. I have had aprone's checkup and winkit installed on this machine for a long time, indeed I have all of Jim's games on this computer right now. I also tried running as admin back when I first got this machine and got the same error, one thing I was hoping the bscfix program would help with, indeed it only seems to be blast chamber that is having the problem.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2020-03-05 08:32:30

@Dark: What error do you get?

"Hello Jerry."
"Hello Newman."

2020-03-05 08:38:22

Also, I think you have to install the game on something other then program files. I'm not sure about that though.

"Hello Jerry."
"Hello Newman."

2020-03-05 09:06:44

The configuration manager runs fine, but when I try to run the game I get a box with pipe2 error 432, file name or class name not found whilst during automation operation while  loading game intro.

2020-03-05 10:20:09

Did you turn off compatibility mode and run as admin in the pipe 2.exe properties?

"Hello Jerry."
"Hello Newman."

2020-03-05 10:33:03 (edited by Aron Leppik 2020-03-05 11:04:12)

If you did, trying to run the game will result in an error 1566. After that, run the game as admin. The error 432 should only pop up if you have run this game as an administrator checked in the game's properties.
I'll do a recording of getting the game to work if that didn't make much sense.
Here's the recording.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1hsK-l … Zu-D7ExoaB

"Hello Jerry."
"Hello Newman."

2020-03-06 07:06:27 (edited by Dark 2020-03-06 07:09:20)

Nope, running as administrator gives me the same file name or class name not foundd error as runing normally.

I also tried manually renaming the exe files to .bin.exe, as the bscfix program did for the other bsc titles, but that didn't seem to work either.

I'll probably have to wait until the bscfix gets updated to work properly with blast t chamber I think.

2020-03-06 08:36:18 (edited by Aron Leppik 2020-03-06 08:41:24)

Well yeah, probably. Are you definitely sure Compattibility mode is disabled too?

"Hello Jerry."
"Hello Newman."

2020-03-06 20:35:56

I don't think I've ever used compatibility mode accept! when i first tried to run the BSC games, after which I uninstalled them when they wouldn't work, and am only trying again because of the bscfix program, so no, compatibility mode is definitely not enabled.

As I said, it's a miner pain, but it is nice to be able to play troopanum and classic pipe again, and even Hunter without the constant windows errors.

2020-03-06 23:14:40

Guess we'll just wait for an update or something.I could never get Hunter to speak my score inbetween levels. Windows would just say "Hunter, not responding." for like 15 seconds and then the next level would start. Otherwise the game would work fine.

"Hello Jerry."
"Hello Newman."

2020-03-07 00:23:36 (edited by Dark 2020-03-07 00:24:08)

Yeah, for a long time Hunter was the only BSC title I could get to run, and it'd still occasionally freeze or had the errors you mention. Fortunately running with the bsc fix program seems to have solved that issue too, and now, just like Troopanum 2 and classic pipe it plays just as it did on XP.