2019-07-06 18:27:45

"and i am sure all users, mods and admins has used the audio vault at least once."

Look at my previous post.

Busted.

Let's not make claims in order to prop up a point when they can be so easily trashed.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2019-07-07 01:21:07 (edited by defender 2019-07-07 01:23:51)

The meat of his point still stands though, even if the most literal interpretation has been debunked.  So what did that really gain anyone exactly?  LOL

2019-07-07 01:37:29

Because we can't wait for the next hundred years for the admins to do something. That's not productive and won't get us anywhere. The admins might never get back to the mods on this issue. That, of course, does not imply that its supposedly OK.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2019-07-07 04:04:22

ok fine i admit that my interpretation was not right on assuming that all mods, user and admins has used the audio vault. but think about this. is there a legal way to get audio descriptions in the philippines where i live? if you can answer that question i'll happily sign up.
again what harm could it do if that topic remained open? did you receive a take down request? if so then fine that's the right thing to do. look at r/piracy why is it not yet deleted? they are discussing things about piracy. and isn't that illegal?

If you found this post helpful, amusing or funny, please thumb it up!
To get in touch, please email me using the email link below this post. If you prefer, you can also send me a friend request on discord. I'm thetechguy#6969. Please do not send me a PM on here as I don't check those often.

2019-07-07 04:14:37 (edited by Ethin 2019-07-07 04:21:00)

@319, your misunderstanding piracy. Discussion of piracy in general is fine, just as discussing anything else is fine. Discussing piracy in a theoretical or hypothetical sense is also fine. Discussing it and saying that you're going to pirate something might also be fine, so long as you don't actually do it. But publishing links to pirated material is not fine.
As for your other problem, OK, perhaps there isn't a way to get audio description in the Philippines. But that doesn't then make it right to pirate it; you can just as easily use things like Tor or a VPN to access content unavailable in your region. I'm surprised no one has *ever* thought of that but, hey...

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2019-07-07 04:27:53

but we aren't sharing direct links are we?  we are just sharing links to the audio vault home page

To get in touch, please email me using the email link below this post. If you prefer, you can also send me a friend request on discord. I'm thetechguy#6969. Please do not send me a PM on here as I don't check those often.

2019-07-07 04:31:03

just like torrent freake. or how ever you spell it. they link to home pages of torrent sites where you can get movies *illegally* and i am not implying that all torrents are used for piracy. but most of them are.

2019-07-07 04:37:17 (edited by Slender 2019-07-07 04:38:28)

Also, I believe R/Piracy's moderators are pretty strict about banning people who share links to content. Even then, though, they're struggling to stay around, even going so far as to delete years of history, but even with those measures, who knows how long they have.

Oh no! Somebody released the h key! Everybody run and hide!

2019-07-07 17:47:22 (edited by defender 2019-07-07 17:47:57)

@330
Which the same companies also say is illegal.  That's why no one said it, because circumventing region locking is essentially  a slightly less hanus version of the same thing in the eyes of copyright lawyers.  To media corporations, any defiance of the rules is an attitude that must be stamped out before it spirals.

2019-07-08 05:14:41

So I'd just like to be clear, as two vastly different things are being argued for in this thread.
What are we getting. Are we getting what Liam argued for, that being the removal of things that seem instantly illegal the second you see them? AD, Roms, ETC?
Or are we getting what Jayde was arguing for, that being a removal of games like Crazy Party.
Just want to understand what the new rules will look like. Morality aside, not sure how the second would be enforced fairly in any way, but yeah, I'd just like to understand what the collective team's stance is on this, instead of getting two different things from two different team members.
Unrelatedly: #FreeTheKids.

2019-07-08 08:15:06

Lol well, if we want to go by the book and remove all games wich have possible stolen sounds or sounds which are copyright protected, we need to scrutinize every game. Oh wait, jaide needs to scrutinize all the games.
Are the sounds in old games from the early 2000s original? Have those been used in mainstream titles? Is the music in Eurofly correctly marked as either royalty free or has it been marked as as paied for and licensed to use in the game?

Jaide, I wish you fun and entertainment in checking around 400 games in the database.

Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2019-07-08 08:27:08

Guys...please, please read more carefully. I know this is a gargantuan thread that has gotten out of hand, but if you're going to throw stones, at least have the decency to check your targets.

I have never said that we are going to check every game and take down every one that doesn't respond in time/has even a hint of stolen/borrowed/pirated/illegal assets. That is not ever what I was saying. What I was saying is that when we do come across such an example, I believe something needs to be done. Maybe some of you who work with CP, for instance, or would be willing to donate a little of your time, would be interested in helping update the music and sounds with Pragma's blessing? After all, I'd much rather a game be allowed to stay than be questioned. Incidentally, one of the problems with straight-out piracy which is not present with these sorts of game issues is that your average outside dev is unlikely to download Crazy Party and KitchensInc games or other things like that and find out they're full of illegal assets. It's a less blatant issue, and as such, while I still think it is an issue, I feel we can be a little more gentle on it.
So yeah. Never said we were cracking down on all games. Please, please read more carefully.

At this stage, we are focusing on pirated materials, and links to same. We would rather that you not discuss how to get it while you're here, and we don't want you posting links to it while you're here. We're giving a window of time where you folks can figure out where you want to discuss it, and how, and then we're going to be asking that this, too, shut down, at least where this forum is concerned. After that, we will remain vigilant, and may intervene if it gets too ugly.
Talking about pirated material in a general way is not against the rules. Showing people how to obtain it would count, however, and we'll respond accordingly.

I hope that answers your question.

2019-07-08 08:31:18

Hi.

Well, we removed the link from the mainstream and emulators topic in general games disscussion, but I suppose you still are closing this down although it is not publicly known how to optaine those roms and emus anymore? At leased, not via direct links.

Greetings Moritz.

2019-07-08 10:23:29

@338, can you *please* drop the grudge?
I have to agree with Jade here -- there are many instances on this topic where people hae thrown stones and accusations that are just nonsense. Can we please actually act rationally insead of being assholes?

My Github

2019-07-08 13:20:12

At simba, man the snark will not serve you. I understand you have concerns, but times are changing, and we as staff feel that the change is appropriate. It's quite simple, no roms on the forum. Google can get you all the roms you need on your own time, just not here. I advise that anyone who has a problem with the rules start there own forum or platform. The time that you spend complaining here can be put in to creating something for yourself and your friends perhaps.

2019-07-08 13:26:10

ok i agree with @340. in my other posts i was just raising some points  but man @338 just stop.
#FreeTheKids

2019-07-08 15:53:28

Why should I stop? in 338 I raised a valid point because as I said that the link to the folder had been removed from the topic!

and at 341, before you point at posts where you tell people to stop something, at leased check what's in them before using them, as I said, I said, ah, see above.

Greetings Moritz.

2019-07-08 16:34:25

Because simba, as hashed out in rule 3, we don't allow links to roms or emulation period. You are free to discuss roms and emulation here, but we don't allow linking to such content.

2019-07-08 16:49:30

Yeah...gotta say this feels like more pot-stirring. The speculation just doesn't need to happen. Removing the link was good, and keeping such links gone is also going to be what happens going forward. Speculating on how many other threads are going to be locked? Well, ask yourself this. How many other threads are going to contain links we don't allow? We'd rather just delete a link than lock an entire thread, but if the thread itself is "tell me where to get such-and-such" then it's made in bad faith and we'll shut it down. It's really pretty simple when you look at it. If you don't like it, you have plenty of other means to do what you want to do.

2019-07-08 17:29:58

Is there not a /r/emulation or something similar? I would agree that ROMs are rather easy to find, and the majority of which you don't have to go down into the dark web or p2p networks. For example the foobar2000 vgm input component requires a certain ROM to play music from a certain chip. This is technically an illegal ROM, ripped from a chip. So they can't distribute it. They give you a filename. "yrw801.rom." That is extremely niche, it's a ROM for these one or two vgm input plugins that enables platback from one chip. First result was a link to a big index of things. There it was. If you think google is doing censorship, which btw it sometimes tells you it is, try another search engine like duck duck go.

----------
An anomaly in the matrix. An error in existence. A being who cannot get inside the goddamn box! A.K.A. Me.

2019-07-08 19:00:51

Yeah, I've honestly never had trouble finding the ROMs I've wanted.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-07-08 19:07:57

Quick question, what happens to Manamon now. Just so I can understand what the future is looking like.

2019-07-08 19:46:34

Manamon is a concept clone. I'm pretty sure that it's far enough outside the lines that no one's going to touch it. Ditto Breed Memorial. I mean, in the case of Manamon, some of the borrowing is awfully heavy, but if nothing else, it appears to be using its own assets, and where it doesn't, it's giving correct attribution to those artists who provided it.

2019-07-08 22:07:00 (edited by defender 2019-07-08 22:07:21)

Yeah the thing is, since we can still talk about the emulated games on the forum, we can still talk about which ones we can play and how to play them.  Having a collection of ROMS was only ever a shortcut for convenience.
So the idea that getting rid of direct links to ROMS will stifle that entire section of the community is false, as shown by the new topic Aaron has created.
I do have to wonder though if we're aloud to name drop/talk about how to use the most accessible programs for emulation, since that's something you wouldn't be able to find out easily.  I'm also not sure of how ROM loading works, so if certain ones are more accessible than others than it could slow things down pretty badly, and since we soon won't be able to discuss how to get these ROMS/programs or link to sites where you can get them (even indirectly I assume) it could be a somewhat difficult distinction, and I can see people getting it wrong allot making more work for the mods.

2019-07-09 00:00:39

The way I see it is this:
Discuss the software, and emulators, but don't link to roms. Talk about how to set it up, but don't link to roms. The only one that's going to be tricky with this, is mame, but if someone wants to set up a guide for that they can but again, it'll be up to each individual to find roms, but they might need some pointers, same version of that emulator and such. as far as I know, saying pointers like that is not illegal. Saying "hay, you can go here to grab every single mame rom in existance" or grab a collection of starter roms, that's illegal.