2019-06-28 14:53:04

@Dark eagle, I'm remebering why Halfblood prince is  probably my least favourite of the HP series. the Harry suspects Draco plot requried both Harry and Hermione to act rather out of character, and so much time was spent on emotional bickering between the principles not much was left for plot, actually at the moment all three of the main characters are getting on our respective wicks to some extent, ---- apart from the fact of course that Ginny is waaaaay too perfect and waaaay too matched for Harry who so should've ended up with Luna lovegood as I said earlier big_smile.

Actually to say that Order of the  Pheonix is many people's least favourite book, rereading the series reminds me why I ejoyed it so much, things get so dark and Umbridge is such a great villain, that you absolutely love any triumphs during the story, plus it has an awesome conclusion.
then again, Halfblood prince does have all the fascinating stuff with Voldemort's past which is nice to go through, and we remember it having an awesome ending, which of course leads right into the giant climax of Deathly hallows.

Oh, about Breed memorial,  the two links for downloading the game are labeled in English, just go onto the page and find the link that says "zip" download the game, bang it in a folder of your choice and run the exe file to start.
Actually, as I'm at my parents at the second  will have to install on this laptop to carry on playign myself.

I'll also need to install screaming strike, which my lady is absolutely loving at the moment, though I'd like to see if I can get her into Breed memorial since I think taking care of pet monsters might appeal to her.

@an idiot that sounds fun, do you have any clips of someone playing one of those on Youtube? I'm always up for hearing new instrements I haven't heard before, even though I'm less of a string player myself.

Well  things have been hechtic, I'm still recovering from a cold, but this mornign I had to help the learning  choir out with les miserables, which meant lots of coughing, albeit apprently it worked out, and goodness knows what's happening tomorrow.
We also spent most of yesterday shopping around for a new bed, one which will hopefully not collapse on us big_smile.

Other than that I have lots of writing to do, particualrly because I've just finished The Bear and the nightingale by Catharine Arden, a rather interesting adult fairy tale set in 14th century Russia. I wasn't planning on writing a review, but since a lot of the reviews of the book are rather one note and I think I might be able to say something a little more interesting, I'll give it a try. other than that, i'm really hoping my cough finally stops so I can actually start singing again, especially because I want to learn that  handel duette, but we shal see.

Its also our aniversary next week, but due to being a bit terminally short of cash at the second, we'll probably have to just go to the local, cheep but extremely nice Italian, which we go to occasionally, rather than anywhere more exotic.
this is mildly disappointing, but it is what it is at the second.

Hope everyone else is having a good time.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-06-28 19:08:13

an idiot wrote:

Got the charango at last. A truely butifull instrument, even more so now that I've played it. But when I first heard the sound of mine, instead of hearing a butifull harp like sound, I heard a disscordent, completely tuneless sound that almost made me cringe. After hours of looking and trying things, it seems as if I now have it tuned, I'm good with notes and all that but the way they are ordered here makes me wonder if the people who came up with this system were on something, It has 10 strings, and plays 4 notes, with an extra e string. The strings are in pares, like a  mandolin, each pare playing one note with the exception of the third pare, which plays the same note in different octives. And it doesn't go from low to high notes either. It can bee strummed, I think that's the indigenous stile of playing it, and the one I have heard the most of wile listening to music from the andes, and the one that seems to resinate with me the most. It can also bee plucked. Both sound amazing. This instrument is small, but it's sound is powerfull, and it can bee played in quite a few places, not just in andean music.

this is very interesting. I work a lot with this type of music (though I play other instruments) but have had to record many of my friends who do play the charango. There is a big variety of those, including fabrication, tunings, timbre, uses, ensembles and so on. Probably my favorite soloist for the instrument of the bunch is Jaime Torres
this is definitely a traditional waino. Though many and varied styles also exist. This is the more fiestero (carnival type) of them all. Definitely lots of strumming and rapid tremolos throughout with some melodic inventiveness.

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

2019-06-28 19:58:01 (edited by Pineapple Pizza 2019-06-28 21:29:43)

Here are a few more links as well. The first one is just the charango and does not have the best recording quality, but the song is really good once the player gets in to it.

https://youtu.be/86XBnkXk3Po

These next two are examples of the charango accompanied by other instruments such as indigenous flutes https://youtu.be/0P8HabGL3P0 like the zampona, or the quena,. You will also here it going along with the Spanish guitar

https://youtu.be/F2hFLFbenec

I would rather listen to someone who can actually play the harmonica than someone who somehow managed to lose seven of them. Me, 2019.

2019-06-29 00:29:36

Hey dark,
you’re talking about reviewing books and stuff, if I gave you a  Rough draft I’m working on, would you give me some feedback on it?

2019-06-29 13:34:29

interesting to here the charingo and thanks for the links.
it reminds me of a lot of the music I heard in Greece, apart from a mandolin of course big_smile.

I'm no good with anything with strings myself, so its nice different people do different things. 

Its hot as hell hear right now which is a pain, and I'm still not sure about this concert thing this evening either, its in a local church though not a specifically Christian program and I'm still not sure whether my lady or I will or wont' be able to actually sing anything or not.

@Sky guardian how long is your writing? I don't mind looking over soemthing brief, but I'm a little busy with reviews, singing and of course work on my own fiction at the moment, which I'm doing in a fairly serious, structured way.

You can find my previously published reviews Here

Note that unlike a lot of reviewers, I try to give reasons for why I think what I think, and also be fair about a given books good and bad points, which is why I tend to give out more mid range marks than  most people, and why on the rare occasions I do give exceptionally high or exceptionally low marks there is a good reason why.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-06-29 15:27:41

Nothing big, just the prologue of a book in a word document, that’s the only way I’ve written it for the spellchecker of course, the punctuation will have to be fixed later, but what I have so far is what I like to hear what you think Of it

2019-06-29 17:45:43

Well for a start, punctuation is good for a screen reader, so if you've written lots of run on sentences it would be very hard to read, indeed my lady is a bit of a stickler for punctuation, but then again that's what happens when you marry a linguist big_smile.

So firstly, if you'd like me to have a look please get it to the stage where Daniel won't rattle on  like someone who has had waaaaay too much cafein :d.

Oh and thankfully it seems that I am likely to be able to sing in said concert, albeit things are still a bit up in the air about how much we do, but then again being flexible is all part of the fun.
whether my lady will be okay to sing her  we'll have to see.