2019-05-19 14:23:13

hi,
I want to get into coding in Python. I want to know if Python is accessible for NVDA.
thanks.

If you found this post helpful, amusing or funny, please thumb it up!
To get in touch, please email me using the email link below this post. If you prefer, you can also send me a friend request on discord. I'm thetechguy#6969. Please do not send me a PM on here as I don't check those often.

2019-05-19 15:14:52

To answer your question: I'd say it accessible. The software you use to write program is not a graphical user interface, or GUI, all things that you've written to  instruct the computer to do are runs in a console window. I think the question you need to ask instead is, which editor is accessible to write Python codes with? That would make a lot of sense.

2019-05-19 16:12:41

Python is very much accessible to use with NVDA, though it requires some fiddling to see the tracebacks. I still say that notepad is your best choice for editing and running through cmd (command line) but that's me. Others used notepad++ before, some even have managed to use visual studio though I have no idea on how they did it since the entire thing confused the living hell out of me.

2019-05-19 17:55:22

Even in terms of graphical user interface, There are libraries that are accessible or partially accessible with nvda. One of them is wxpython4.0.3 which is very well accessible with nvda.

---
Co-founder of Sonorous Arts.
Check out Sonorous Arts on github: https://github.com/sonorous-arts/
my Discord: kianoosh.shakeri2#2988

2019-05-19 21:07:21

fyi: nvda is written, by (mainly) blind developers, in Python.

If you like what I do, Feel free to check me out on GitHub, or follow me on Twitter

2019-05-19 21:53:21

Hi.
Well NVDA is written in python, so it is accessible with python by design. You can set NVDA to detect the indents and things like that, so it's much easier to code in python than it used to be. Don't use idle though, that will confuse you more than anything.
There are many different editors you can use, visual studio is one, but it's probably more confusing to use that since it's very big and has more than python functionality. If your just starting out with coding, you might want something a little more user friendly. EdSharp is very nice, it has compilers for python, c#, and some others. It's quick and easy to use, and it has NVDA access built-in.
Hth.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2019-05-20 03:38:19

hi,
thanks for the replies. I am going to try out EdSharp  and see how it goes.

To get in touch, please email me using the email link below this post. If you prefer, you can also send me a friend request on discord. I'm thetechguy#6969. Please do not send me a PM on here as I don't check those often.

2019-05-20 03:40:32

I used notepad++ myself, for an alternative to native Notepad.

2019-05-20 09:55:27

hi,
What is the difference between notepad ++ and notepad.

2019-05-20 21:31:17

Hi.
I believe notepad++ has extra features for programming specifically. I have never used it, but from what I've heard it's a very good tool.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2019-05-20 21:45:44

I use Notepad2. It is an alternative editor to Notepad and Notepad++ with less functionality specifically for programming than Notepad++. It only has a few extra nice things like line numbers and no multitab support like Notepad++, but fits my workflow better than a multitab editor.

2019-05-21 05:50:46

hi,
I have a question. How do you test your code? I am using EdSharp.

2019-05-21 06:18:43

The classic way of programming is writing your code in a text-editor as mentioned above and then running that code on the command-line.

NotePad++ has some nifty features like auto-indenting which is especially useful for languages like Python. It's also just good practice to indent and format your work -- there's a convention to formatting code in team environments. The organization and visual appeal of code is pretty important, contrary to intuition or common belief.

What game will hadi.gsf want to play next?

2019-05-21 06:22:13

hi,
so do i need to download a command line tool? I use windows 10.

2019-05-21 08:52:51

No, but you need to ensure that you add Python to the system environment variables if you didn't select it at the time you installed it. Otherwise, you'll get an error saying python is not recognized as a command.

2019-05-21 10:07:45

If you haven't already, go download and install [Python], after that there are a few ways to run the scripts from IDE's. But if that doesn't work out you could save your scripts as plain text documents with a *.py prefix, then on the command line type "python yourscript.py" to run them.

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

2019-05-21 12:00:10

hi,
@16 when i run that command it says invalid syntax. What is causing this?

2019-05-21 14:19:15

Probably that the syntax isn't valid...
tongue

What syntax, your Python code or the command you use to run the code?

2019-05-21 14:30:46

hi,
@18 it says
" scrippython script.py
  File "<stdin>", line 1
    scrippython script.py
                     ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax
>>>"

2019-05-21 15:43:56

You just type "python", no "scrippython"

2019-05-21 16:14:07

hi,
@20 it still says
">>> python script.py
  File "<stdin>", line 1
    python script.py
                ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax
"
script.py being the file where my code is.
@16 said to save the file as a text file and change it to .py.

2019-05-21 16:36:40

Then there's something wrong with your code.

2019-05-21 16:43:35

You are running the `python script.py' command from the python interpreter, which you shouldn't do. You run it from the windows command-line.

2019-05-21 16:46:19

hi,
is windows command line command prompt?

2019-05-21 18:30:47

Command Prompt or Windows PowerShell will work.