2019-04-24 01:54:55

Hey folks,

Picked one of these up recently and it arrives in a couple days. I'm reading up on how to set things up with Reaper, but the big challenge so far seems to be Native Access.

While I don't yet have a keyboard and serial number, I've set up my Native ID on the hardware registration page. Nothing I've done has logged me into Native Access, though. I've tried both NVDA and Narrator.

Is there some winning screen reader combo that works with this thing, or should I just borrow a set of eyeballs? I know (or suspect?) that things should be accessible once I've completed this initial setup step, but I'm hoping there's some way I can do it on my own, as it seems like there's a point where I'll have to download several GB of samples, and I'm not sure I can get help for that entire time.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I've read Native Instruments' accessibility guide and have found the ReKontrol driver for Reaper, but the sticking point really does seem to be this inaccessible Native Access mess.

Thanks.

2019-04-24 02:46:37

I was able to do it, it's kind of a pain. If you use NVDA with object navigation, it gives false information because it literally gives all controls, even the ones that aren't displayed. So, it falls to OCRing the screen which means you have to jump up a level and OCR from there... it's really meh. Oh and KK itself , Kontakt, etc, are inaccessible without the keyboard and run through komplete, which they will do out of the box, just don't try to run them standby. Well, you will have to run komplete kontrol standby, but don't figure on using it that way, you'll have to use OCR to see that it's scanning the library, but then once all that is done, leave it and run it as a VST in Reaper.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-04-24 03:06:23

So I'm mainly a Linux/Chrome OS user who drops into Windows VMs for a few select development tasks. When you write "go up a level," what do you mean? I'm seeing all the controls in object nav, even the ones that aren't visible, so I get what you mean by that. If I'm on one of these, the login field for example, then press Insert-8, I hear "Desktop" and assume I've moved up a level to the desktop. Where do I need to be to launch the recognizer?

2019-04-24 03:15:30

OK, never mind, I figured it out shortly after I posted. I maximized the window, navigated to the desktop, and OCR'd that. Nice feature, first time I really used it. Looks like pressing Enter on some text clicks it? Seems to be working that way--I just want to confirm.

Thanks for the tip.

2019-04-24 04:15:29

yeah usually does. That's where you want to log into your native instruments account and do your installation. There's an install all button under the not installed tab which you can use after you've input all your serials. It'll silently install everything and just like, wait a while.

End racism
End division
Become united

2019-04-24 15:20:08

Roughly how long does it take for Komplete Kontrol to scan the library on first run after a full installation?

Getting some odd NVDA studdering. Granted, I'm running in a VM, but it's a beefy VM that doesn't have issues with VSCode, Visual Studio 2017, Reaper, etc. So I'm wondering if this is just the initial library scan.

2019-04-24 15:51:36

Well with no user content, not that long. Mine has over 8,000 things in the user library, so it takes a while. A VM might not be able to handle all this, it's quite taxing with some of the higher quality samples and then if you get something like keyscape, or the Ravenscroft 275, or any other good instrument, it's going to not be happy.

I'd say maybe a minute with no user content.

End racism
End division
Become united

2019-04-27 18:00:05

Hey, made some pretty good progress. My previous VM issues went away when I switched from VirtualBox to KVM. With that done, I was able to enable accessibility on the M32, play it in Reaper, etc.

But I'm having an annoying issue that I don't know how to resolve. Every time I launch Komplete Kontrol, my keyboard is inaccessible. Training mode doesn't work, and neither does the browser. The only way to get things working is to rescan my library. With that and only that change, everything works once more.

Rescanning a library on start seems like something that should either happen automatically if it is expected to be done on launch, or whose results should be saved so it doesn't happen again. So I'm wondering if I have to either save the scan results, or save my preferences, and maybe I'm missing the queue to do that since the app is inaccessible?

It's also a bit odd that the preferences dialog opens every single time I launch Komplete Kontrol. Preferences seem like a thing that I should only open when I need it, which lends further credence to the idea that I need to explicitly save them.

Thanks. Also, are there any other recommended free/low-cost Native expansions? I grabbed the starter pack and am a bit disappointed that it seems to mostly have synthy instruments. Would like more actual instruments and fewer synths.

2019-04-27 18:21:58

I don't know why prefs opens automatically, it only happens when accessibility is on. No, you don't have to save anything, when you scan the library, it makes its cache or whatever it does and you're good until you add or remove things from it. I never use kk directly though, always in a daw. Only time I use it directly is when scanning libraries, then I close it when that's done.

End racism
End division
Become united

2019-04-28 19:39:49

Oh, I got it now. I've never used VST plugins before, and thought I needed to somehow record the keyboard's output, and that the app needed to be open for accessibility to work. Just set things up as a VST plugin, and now it all works--or at least, it gives me some latency, but that's a problem I can solve myself.

One strangeness. When I insert tracks with a virtual instrument using ctrl-insert, I get 17 tracks. The first is Komplete Kontrol, and the next 16 are Komplete Kontrol Out 1-16. What do I do with all of these? Are Outs 1-16 for individual instrument tracks? If so, what about the first track without an output number?

2019-04-28 19:57:04

You don't have to allow it to expand them. Latency can be resolved in reaper by using either hardware with ASIO drivers, or in software using WASAPI

End racism
End division
Become united