2019-04-23 07:53:26 (edited by grryfindore 2019-04-23 07:56:29)

Hi,
I have been wanting to ask this for a while now, but hardly get the time these days
  I am into animals quite a lot, that is I like them more than I do or could like humans (go figure), have had many pets over the years unfortunately never a pet dog or a cat, though. usually just played around and spoiled / pampered cousin's pets and the like.
I have had an aquariam so far (freshwater), pet birds and rabbits. Gave them all away to different people after my parrot died due to the bloody rabbits. That was years ago though, with me having bairly any experience.

I was able to take care of them just fine, although the one thing I couldn't do or didn't have much success with was training them.
My question is, what pets have you had or still do, and have you been able to train them to do anything? sinse training and the like requires studying body language, rewarding the right behaviour and eye contact or at least looking in the general direction of the animal so that they know you are giving them atention and not ignoring the poor sods lol.
I.E my birds would respond to my cousin because it knew he was looking at it etc, where as me, not so much. same with almost every other animal
for example to teach the birds to step up you have to keep a finger near their Abdomen and gently put pressure which then would instinctively make them step up on it, before they do step up, you have to say up or step up and or whatever the phrase maybe that you'd like the bird to associate with that particular excersise and reward it as soon as it steps up on the finger.
which I imagine would be a tad bit difficult to do as a blind person not knowing where the bird is and the Abdomen is. big_smile
Its not just for birds though, I like to heare all kind of animal stories, and if you've had success with training bonding with any sort of animal, I would like to read about it for sure.
Be it a rabbit, a dog or a cat. although in case of cats I heare its they who are the trainers and we the trainees wink
Grryf

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.
Follow me on twitter

2019-04-23 10:54:48

no
if you get them as a pup, for example i had a budgie, i easyly trained him to purch on my head,  fly, land, come here etc etc etc
when you interacted wth them when they are still liddle babies, somehow they figure  your blindness
its wierd i know

then that liddle cutie died on my hands ug
i'M sad now

2019-04-23 15:21:45

Some commands with dogs are easier, like sit and stay. We used to have a little Pomeranian we found on the side of the road. At first with sit, I would press my hand with a gentle firm pressure onto his lower back until he sat, obviously using the sit command and treating him when he sat. Rinse and repeat. Then, I could just rest my hand lightly on his side while he was standing and say the sit command to feel if he obeyed.
With the stay command, I would go into a different room and listen for his claws on the hardwood floor. I have no idea if he stayed in a sit while he was staying or not.
With puppies who want up on the couch, they usually put their front feet up. I'll take their feet, plant them back on the floor and say "off."

Sugar and spice, and everything ....

2019-04-23 17:00:36

Hi.

Over the last year I helped in training quite a few animals, always under the supervision of the owner who is sighted.

Firstly, we have a younger shetland pony which needs to work out and get used to commands for free work without a lunge, things like turning into another direction, slow down, faster, come to me and the like.
We use a clicker for these commands and if he does them, you click ones and give him a treat, the clicker is positive encuragement and the horse in question should see the clicker as something positive.

Also, I helped training a dog.
First command was the nose command where he turns twards you and presses his nose against your hand ones. We trained this by putting the hand up to his nose, touching it with your palm and saying the word, nose, or what ever you want the command to be.
You Then hold your hand some 10 cm in front of him and say the command over and over again till he nudges your hand and you give him a treat. with further success, change the position of your hand so you get him to move and come to you.
Next command was the lay down command when you for example need to brush his underside. You firstly have the normal lay down command. Then, you press against his sside and give a new command till he rols oon his side so you have access to his belly.
Again, rinse and repeat with treats till he gets it done nicely.

Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2019-04-24 00:14:28 (edited by afrim 2019-04-24 11:33:13)

In July 2016, when my brother came from work, he opened the backseat door of his car and took out a gorgeous little pooch. It was a dog, (dachshund) one month old. It was so cute and lovely, and playful. My mum had never liked dogs and fell into depression when my brother brought ours home as she had been viciously bitten by a big shepherd dog when she was younger. Whenever my mum would angrily say to the dog: sit, stay, stop, go away, come to eat, the dog would funnily enough respond with the right action. He had not received any training before . . . perhaps by looking at the body language and the posture of my mum he thought it would be better to respond with something, as God knew what could happen. As the dog grew, he would day after day get closer to us; even to my mum who disliked him. All my family loved him, including my mum. The dog wouldn't let her go away anywhere without taking him. We trained him to be a little guarddog and most of the time when we'd go out, he had to stay at home. He would always cry when we closed the gate.
Anyway, now that he's almost three years old, it seems like he understands our language. He can expect and understand when the food will come, he can understand whether we have a kandy and we're going to throw it to him, he can understand when my mum has cooked his favourite meal for him, he can understand when we are going to go out, he can understand when we are talking about him, and so on.
I'm not sure, however, if he understands that I'm blind or different from others in the way I interact with him. It's important that he comes to me when I call him. He is a stress reliever; everytime I finish studying or simply after a long university day, I go to play with him and I feel relaxed. Now that I've gone to Germany, I miss him so much. Everytime  I sense a dog on the street, I wanna grab and play with it. I found a student here who owns a dog and she gives it to me for like three to four hours on every Monday haha.

2019-04-24 09:56:16

Funny story. We had a kitten a few years ago, and she did not like me touching her one bit. Normally when I let a cat out, I touch the cat so I know when they're at the door and can open it to let them out. Obviously that didnt' work for this cat. So, I told her that I needed to know where she was to let her out. She would then growl at me when she was at the door, and so I knew where she was. Smart little thing.

2019-04-25 11:57:52

Hi,
@omer, your post both made me happy and sad all over again.
I know how it is for that bird to die in your hands...
But its good to heare that you were able to taim and train your bird!
Gives me hope that I would be able to do something similar, if I were to get a hand taimed raised bird.
I probably would have bred a whild pare or those semi adult birds they sell at the pet store ( generally I avoid buying pets from the petstore wierd I know), but I don't think I would be able to feed the chicks or the baby birds as its done with those syringes and I'd rather not be the cause of death of a bird through feeding it wrongly or any other way, for that matter. the death thing, I mean.

@Cinnamon, yeah dogs I'd imagine would be a tad bit easier to train, plus they are smarter, and they are dogs and well yeah I am drooling now...
Nice trick, still and something I'll keep in mind if and when a day comes where I get a dog of my own.
@simba, working with animals would have been my dream job if I could see, but here we are, any job is hard to get as it is, much less an animal handler trainer job....
But yes, what you do sounds bloody fantastic and makes me so so jealous big_smile
The clicker method I have heard of previously, and its used along with rewards at first, over time the clicker is supstituted for the food rewards but again, as I said for training birds and the like even certain dog tricks such as stay, you can't really see what the animal is doing to use the clicker well.
@afrim, a fellow doglover!
May the dog be with you wink
The thing is, my mum was never bitten by a dog, but she has been scared of them angels ever sinse she was a toddler, and sinse its her house her everything tbh lol follow her will I must.
Plus I do realise dogs aren't that easy to take care of financially so until I have some extra money of my own that I can use as a padding for the dogs needs and the like, all I can do is read about all the happy people and dogs.
and man, that dog does sound like a smart one, following her commands as he does, never disobey the boss lady big_smile
@Draq, that kitten is was so, cattish. wink
See what I mean about cats training us instead of the other way around?
wink
Grryf

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.
Follow me on twitter