2019-04-22 19:17:22

Hi,

I'm interested in writing a choose your own adventure story using Twine and the SugarCube 2 format. I'm running into some difficulties, however, such as not being able to edit any of the text I've written using either NVDA or JAWS, as moving through the edit box results in hearing either "blank" or nothing at all depending on the screen reader. I also had a brief look at the documentation for Twine 2, but am not sure if I've got the syntax right for things like adding a new passage or choice. I tried testing the game from within the program, and none of the text I wrote appears. Does anyone have any advice for using this program with a screen reader?
As well, is it possible to write a Twine game in a text editor instead of the main program?

Thanks for your help.

Yours Sincerely,
Kelly Sapergia

2019-04-22 20:10:23

Hi Kelly. You want to stay away from twine 2, and twine 1.4.2 isn't much better. There are two command line compilers that output twine games, and they rely on the Twee language (which basically means you can write your Twine games in a text editor, placing :: before your passage names.)
I recommend TweeGo, which is written in Go by the creator of SugarCube. Tweego natively runs on Windows, Mac and Linux, and is still being updated.
There is also Twee 2, which requires Ruby, is no longer being updated, but has some nifty features including YAML and CoffeeScript support.

#FreeTheCheese
"The most deadly poison of our times is indifference. And this happens, although the praise of God should know no limits. Let us strive, therefore, to praise Him to the greatest extent of our powers." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

2019-04-24 20:24:30

Hi Zenothrax,

Thanks for the info regarding the Tweego compiler. I just downloaded it, and wrote a test game, which compiled fine. I agree with you, this is a much better solution.

Yours Sincerely,
Kelly Sapergia