2019-04-10 12:27:16

For one thing, i only gave it to bran in november because i was still quite new to bgt, and needed help with classes and things, he then started telling everyone it was all his. So get your facts strate before you run your mouth. And seriously? I don’t see how i could have credited him more than i did. This is all quite stupid really.

2019-04-10 12:33:32

facts are: bran coded the game, you only coded a mine detector and claim the game to be your own.

it's challenge not chalange

2019-04-10 13:16:49

Uh, sir, that’s not how it happened. Bran coded part of it, that part he got credit for. If you’re gunna kick up a shit storm all because of my past, well then that’s your problem. The readme even says ‘by charlie merry and brandon cruise” explain where i claimed it was all my own there.

2019-04-10 14:16:50

If you share your sources, you have nothing to complain about, especially if you do not share them with trusted people. If what you people say is true, too bad, but that should teach you a lesson and in the future you wont do such things. If it isn't however, then I have no words. Even so, I do not understand the point. Nobody stole your game, you gave it away. Go make another one and be a proper developer instead of complaining about something that first you have no proof, and second you made happen in the first place.

Thumbs up +1

2019-04-10 14:26:39 (edited by black_mana 2019-04-10 14:27:04)

that's a lesson  for you, next time, shair your sources with trusted people

2019-04-10 15:23:28 (edited by Dark 2019-04-10 15:24:08)

Minefield readme wrote:

+credits.
When i first started working on minefield, I only really intended it to be a little random game where you go around avoiding mines to reach an exit within a 60 second timeframe. However, since brandon started helping with this project, it's grown beyond anything i could have possibly imagined. Thanks a bunch dude!
Thanks to sediment and brandon cruise for voicing some of the enemies in this game.
Thanks to maulpaul and brandon cruise for doing a lot of the sound design, most particularly to brandon for the awesome cut seen!
A large part of this readme was also written by brandon cruise.

I'm afraid whenever people get into these discussions of who gave code to whom and gave permission for whoever else to use code, I always find myself unable to determine the rights and wrongs of either situation. However, speaking as someone who hasn't heard any of this particular debacle before reading the readme, my conclusion was simply that the credits were as read, I.E some work was done by Cmerry, some by Brandon and some by others, and credit was correctly sighted for each persons contributions to the over all project, so no need for any flame wars here.

if Brandon feels that he isn't receiving adequate recognition for what he's done, then simply altering the credits here would solve things nicely, certainly when the game gets a db page I'm quite happy to attribute the game to both developers, as has occurred in the past with say some rewrites of DanC's games.

while I know there has been a lot of bad blood about stolen code etc in the past, it doesn't strike me that we need anything of that nature here, or in any sense that mods would need to start dropping the hammer on anyone.

After all, in the end what we have is a really good game that represents several people's hard work, and I say hurrah for that!

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

Thumbs up

2019-04-10 15:43:00

This is... sad...
I haven't got to play yet, but it sounds fun!
Knowing me, I'll have aproximately 323123.23232 ideas.
Can't wait to try!

yo! so I'm working on programing, it's really hard. But I'll tell you where you can contact me if your stupid enough to do so.
Contact information:email: [email protected]
I'm usually found on online games, chatting, and being warned bye admins for talking to much, f**k you admin!

2019-04-10 16:58:48 (edited by jack 2019-04-10 17:01:31)

Alright everyone. Damage control. yet again. First of all...
Dark's absolutely right in that the readme stated in the credits, and at the beginning mind you, that this game was written by one or two people. You don't have to be your own programmer for the entirety of the game to make it your or their own. What if Justin and Dan were arguing over who's code is who's, or who the exact percentage of code belonged to? What then?
This is, precisely, why we don't have many collaborations these days, because then people argue over who owns the rights to sections of code. No one stole any ideas, as far as I'm aware Charlie gave the code to Brandon (no one stole the code) Brandon coded some stuff, Charlie coded some as well, and thus the game belongs to both of them. Steve Jobs was the ceo of Apple, yet he never wrote a single line of sourcecode in his time, but had brilliant ideas. Yet, you don't see: Mac OSX, copywrong 1772 The Apple Mac OSX Software Development Division, you just have one company name. The sum is greater than the individual parts in this case, or in Mac's case today there really is no sum. Lol! But seriously, it doesn't matter who owns what code. As long as it wasn't stolen, and everyone got credited, what could possibly go wrong? Credits don't need to be second guessed as long as it's clear who did what.
Notice how I'm not bringing up Charlie's past here, because he's stated over and over that he's wanted to start fresh. Those of you who followed the Twitter rampages will no doubt know that even I was, keyword was, one of the people who thought all hell would break loose when SBP was acquired. I however didn't know at the time, because we were all too busy freaking out, that he was trying to start from the beginning. And now this is what we have, a damn good and, addictive, game.

I'm the only adventure at c: master hahahaha I have unlocked just about everything!

Thumbs up

2019-04-10 17:18:28

This kind of thing reminds me a bit of the developer of Dead sells approach. In the readme you mentioned people contributing a few different things such as voices.
Well this studio actually has a structure where the company has no bosses, equal pay and an equal say. Some people work on different things.
https://kotaku.com/game-studio-with-no- … 1827872972

Thumbs up

2019-04-10 17:33:02

@34
while I do see your point and I understand that he wants to start fresh, I am not quite sure of how much will that last, since it happened a bit already. He does something, then he says he wants to start fresh, then he does it again. Like a while loop.

if you wish,  you could give a look at my github profile.
If you want to get in touch with me you can follow me on Twitter
have a nice day.
Paul

2019-04-10 19:18:19

Hi.
We talked about the warning I gave out to AlirezaNosrati in the moderator team. We came to the conclusion that I overreacted, and the warning was not the right thing to do.
@AlirezaNosrati I'm sorry that I overreacted, and I'm taking back the warning.

Best regards SLJ.
If you like the post, then please give it a thumps up.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Happy gaming... :D

2019-04-10 20:56:58

I feel like I need to chime in for a single reason:
I, once again, started this argument.
Allow me to explain:
About 8 months ago, I was on Teamtalk with Brandon. We were chatting about games, and he asked me something along the lines of this:
"Hey, do you want to see a game I'm working on?"
I agreed, and was thus introduced to Minefield.
It was interesting, that's for sure. The game was fun, the monster was amusing, and yet I couldn't understand something. I was learning the basics of python coming off from failing at learning bgt because of the lack of help I received, and I couldn't understand how it all worked. I couldn't understand how a player was walking, why the mines were blowing up as I stepped on them, and how did the monster know where I was at all times.
When I told this to Brandon, he immediately had this idea:
Why won't you look at the source of the game yourself?
And so I did. I looked. I learned. I wondered.
After looking at the game for a couple of hours, I asked myself this: What if I started to add things to the original concept?
And thus, the idea of multiple monsters, items, and boards falling from the sky came into light on a single day. It worked, too.

I am not accusing anyone of using somebody else's source code. All I'm doing is giving the entire story. I was a person who saw minefield being built, I was a person who screwed around with it and added the items, I was a person who has heard both sides claiming the ownership of the code.
To those who wonder how much of the game Charlie coded, I don't know. The game could be using my object class, and that's fine. Like I said, I'm just the person with the entire picture here. I don't want credit. I don't want to be mentioned in the readme, all I'm doing is giving more trusted facts for you all to wonder about.
I'll not state my opinions here, no. Doing so will just add fuel to the fire, but suffice to say, I'm watching this topic.

Coding is not hard. No, not at all.
What is hard is making code that accepts different and sometimes unexpected types of input and still works.
This is what truly takes a large amount of effort on a developer's part.

Thumbs up

2019-04-10 22:58:59

Can't we just enjoy the game instead of fighting over who did what and who contributed to where?  It seems like audio games forum is full of this kind of accusation.  I am so sick of it, and i am sure i not the only one.  Anyways, this game is fun and I was wondering if the items could have louder sound.  Oh, what about jumping? Could we jump over the enemies?  Like i said game is fun. keep up the good work to all who contribute to it.

Their is no such thing as a master.  One is never done learning, and those who claim to be a master at something are far from becoming one!!

Thumbs up

2019-04-10 23:08:41

why don't we put it on github and make an opensource thing. hahaha.

if you wish,  you could give a look at my github profile.
If you want to get in touch with me you can follow me on Twitter
have a nice day.
Paul

2019-04-10 23:15:15

Time for me to chime, in. So no. Nice, short and simple. The only thing charlie sent me was a thing with a move system with no timers. That's, it. No other thing here was coded in by him, until he got the source from a certain person who wasn't me. I know who you got it from charlie and I don't care. I can't care less if its yours. It's fine. What I don't like is you taking credit for things you don't do. Amerikranian got a version that had no, I repeat, no, mine detector. And no, nobody but me added said detector. Im just saying. I did the majority if not all the coding for this game. If you guys want to see what charlie sent me, then let me know. I'll be glad to show off the code that, "he", contributed. Thanks and enjoy mf lmfao.

-----------
I'm the true source of dark evil. Beware.
Have a nice day peeps

2019-04-10 23:20:24

I can attest to what audiogame is saying: the version I was given did not have a mine detector.  I can also assure you, I did not spread the source code. The only person who had what I coded was Brandon.  My version also had a single enemy.  Again, something Brandon can confirm.

Coding is not hard. No, not at all.
What is hard is making code that accepts different and sometimes unexpected types of input and still works.
This is what truly takes a large amount of effort on a developer's part.

Thumbs up

2019-04-10 23:25:42 (edited by omer 2019-04-10 23:26:29)

the guy gave the credit already, so why people are still yelling off?
if you fuckin dont enjoy it why do you download it in the first place
and i dont care who the coder of thsi thing right now  quite liked it

Thumbs up

2019-04-10 23:56:40

yum yum. popcorn.

Thumbs up

2019-04-11 00:41:14

hey buddy, omer, try coding a game, giving it to someone else, and having them take credit for more than they actually did. No I have no problem with the readme. The only thing that's wrong is that charlie did nothing. The only thing he did was change the achievement sound. So saying that this is a colab is not completely true.

-----------
I'm the true source of dark evil. Beware.
Have a nice day peeps

2019-04-11 00:45:08

Try creating a game, and not giving the source to anybody in the first place? Or you know what, learn the proper ways to collaborate on open source projects like GitHub, and then such a thing can simply not happen. Right now, you sending us the code wont do anything but create unnecessary drama. Nothing you do will ever proove that the code is or is not yours. Now, it would be really nice if you moved that discussion privately so people can actually make useful and constructive comments about the game.

Thumbs up

2019-04-11 02:02:03

quick moderation:
Audiogame, consider this a caution. There's a way of showing your displeasure. A way that doesn't include calling some an MF, motherfucker.
End Moderation

So I'm gonna go ahead and chime in here.
First of all I'm wholeheartedly wishing for a thumbs down button for a certain type of people. You know who you are. The ones with comments like "flame war!" or "popcorn", or what have you. Your contribution to the conversation a, provides nothing to be gained and b, eludes to the fact that you're far superior for not getting involved and enjoy watching the dispute for no real reason. Please just, save us all the time and don't even add your voice. That or give me a tiny bit of substance to read. Which ever seems easier.

As far as I understand it, there's a pretty big contradiction here that I'd like to point out.

audiogame wrote:

Time for me to chime, in. So no. Nice, short and simple. The only thing charlie sent me was a thing with a move system with no timers. That's, it. No other thing here was coded in by him

audiogame wrote:

No I have no problem with the readme. The only thing that's wrong is that charlie did nothing. The only thing he did was change the achievement sound.

So which is it? Did he merely change one sound, or did he also provide you with a basic all be it minimalistic movement system? If you'd like us to understand where you're coming from don't deviate from the facts. Regardless the definition for collaboration is as follows:

collaboration: The action of working with someone to produce or create something.

You worked together, to produce something no? He apparently helped out with sound design and some code, so I think that gives him the right to call it collab. The right to release here, seemingly without your permission, hell nah. The right to essentially give off the impression that he was the main dev, hell nah. But right now I'm torn as well as failing to understand what you'd really like to happen. Complaining is all well and good, but I'd expect to see a final goal or at least a reason that isn't simply making noise. There's surely a compromise of some sort, and you guys seem to present yourselves in roughly the same way so I'd imagine a resolution isn't far fetched. Then we might be able to move along.

Thumbs up

2019-04-11 02:14:45

I’ve already said all i can really say, and to hopefully stop this from becoming another flame war i’ll not be responding to any more about this here on out unless i really need to. I’ll just say this, i can’t and won’t try to discredit any of brandon’s claims because nothing i say can really change anything. All i’ll say for now is that those of you who saw brandon’s any audio post also saw how he basically claimed the intire thing was his own and didn’t even give me a mention, something yall are now accusing me of doing. Even if his crap about writing most of the game were true, he really wouldn’t have much ground to stand on. I hadn’t done anything with minefield in a couple months, since around just before christmas, partly because of sbp and the hole tk thing, but also because i lost motivation for quite a long time. While i wasn’t around brandon did a lot of stuff, no question there. I gave him what i thaught was quite a lot of credit, but if you’d felt you were being under appreetiated or whatever you could have talked to me privately and we could have resolved it privately.
That said, can we actually, ya know, go back to what this topic was meant for rather than flaming?

2019-04-11 02:40:06

flawless victory

Thumbs up

2019-04-11 09:58:31 (edited by omer 2019-04-11 09:59:30)

this guy never going to be change rofl
http://anyaudio.net/listen?audio=bwjNlUIscT
and you did a great job at ripping a sound from my old rusty swamp mod lol, keep it up.
but that makes me sort of happy that makes me realise that i'm no bad designer if people keep using the shit without asking, so have a nice day!

Thumbs up

2019-04-11 10:06:39

so freedom of speech doesn't exist here anymore?
no there's still some freedom of speech, but the problem is lack of experience in some mods.

it's challenge not chalange