2019-04-08 21:11:25 (edited by cmerry 2019-04-24 23:06:29)

Hi all,
It was just a normal day. Son shining, birds tweeting, all that. You decide to step out into your garden for some fresh air, because why not.
To your confusion, you find a strange metal box sitting in the middle of your laun. It seems to be glowing in a very weird way.
You remember something your friend told you a long time ago, about a lab that specializes in out of this world things. You decide to take it there and see what they make of it.
And that's where you come in! For those who are familuar with it, this game is quite similar to tgtr by l works, and after watching liam's streams and playing it a bit myself, we wanted to see how easily we could create something like that.
This game has quite a few different levels, but the main objective is, as the name would suggest, to avoid the mines. That isn't all however, along the way you will incounter lots of different factors that can ulter how well you do, or how well you die!
Please remember that this is only the concept demo, and not the final product. There may be bugs, and if there are we'll do our best to fix them for the aficial release.
Here is the link,
http://cmerry.tk/minefield/minefield_installer.exe

2019-04-09 01:00:51

Interesting concept, however why do people not put descriptions for games?
Still, I'll download it, but only because I think I might know what this is and it was interesting when I heard it played.

Twitter: stevo399
Have a nice day!

2019-04-09 04:01:21

I really like this. I've always enjoyed games where you must avoid things rather than destroy them. The achievements are great! I haven't made it to the boss yet, but it's fun all the same.

Is there a way to avoid the arrows the arrow launcher shoots at you? I haven't found any as of yet.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.
You may access my NVDA Remote, Three-D Velocity, Sound RTS, and Road to Rage servers by using the address christopherw.me. Road to Rage uses the default 6789 port.

Thumbs up

2019-04-09 04:03:39

Also I know how to fix your time problem. Just pause the timer during the pop-up messages and it should be fine, other than that I don't think it's broken.

Twitter: stevo399
Have a nice day!

2019-04-09 04:36:27

So, I’m confused: first audiogame releases minefield on any audio, then you claim it was yours, then you two have a fight  about the original idea,  and now this. Could you clear it up for me please?

Coding is not hard. No, not at all.
What is hard is making a code that accepts different and sometimes unexpected types of input and still works.
This is what truly takes a large amount of effort on a developer's part.

Thumbs up

2019-04-09 07:48:25

It's difficult for me to get motivated to try the game. No description at all in the first post. How should people then get motivated? Just asking. smile

Best regards SLJ.
If you like the post, then please give it a thumps up.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Happy gaming... :D

2019-04-09 10:11:39 (edited by cmerry 2019-04-09 10:13:05)

at 5, there was never really  fight per say, more confusion because of how it was originally advertised. I'll edit the first post with some more info about the game.
@chris, right now the arrows are kind of buggy as well so you can't really avoid them. They also don't really do anything currently though so that doesn't really matter.

2019-04-09 10:42:55

ok so fix the bug with the  arrows bing unavaidable please? also raise the sound of items when i say items i mean objects that you pick up as you walk over    still looking for bugs

Thumbs up

2019-04-09 14:48:06 (edited by Dark 2019-04-09 14:49:05)

Okay I gave this a try.
I do like the idea, indeed great toy robbery has definitely got me to be a fan of this style of game, and sediment is rather amusing big_smile.
I also appreciate the amount of sound work that has gone into this game, since  always nice when an arcade/action game also sounds good, and this one definitely does.

Just a couple of things.
Firstly, I'm a little confused as to why the mine detector is necessary given the mines make beeping noises anyway, unless the plan is to have invisible,I.E inaudible mines somewhere along the line.
It'd also be nice if traps could be a little more effective, or at least if the monsters would chase you a bit more consistantly so you could use traps strategically to knock them off (provided you were good enough).

Then the items, I had to switch on speed interupt for typed characters, and even so, it wasn't always obvious what I picked up, frequently I'd just hear a click and that would be that, which is a shame in a game where such a lot of work has gone in to creating distinct items.

Maybe either the items need sounds, or there should be a log of what you pick up.

Then, I can't actually hear the story with eloquence going at that speed and the echos on. Again, its probably okay if your a fan of eloquence and use it regularly, but for those who don't  slowing it down, or having a human voice recording might be nice?

Other than that I can see this going really well, the concept is fun and the achievements are amusing.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

Thumbs up

2019-04-09 15:09:10

Hi dark.
Thanks for all your feedback
I'm no sound editer / designer honestly, that's more paul's area of the project. I'll see about asking him to slow it down. It seemed ok from my point of view, but then again i almost always use eloquence at a quite fast rate, but that seemed fairly slow at least to me.
The items not speaking is more of an nvda problem, i have the same issue and it's rather annoying. For this i usually use sleep mode, hit backslash shift s to toggle it. Hope that helps.
The reason i added mine detecters was because i generally found that hwen lots of sediments or brandons started stacking up, it's very easy to miss mines and just fly right into them.

2019-04-09 15:18:46

I also agree about replacing Eloquence with human speech. That part of the game doesn't quite make sense.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.
You may access my NVDA Remote, Three-D Velocity, Sound RTS, and Road to Rage servers by using the address christopherw.me. Road to Rage uses the default 6789 port.

Thumbs up

2019-04-09 15:30:21

Hi cmerry, thanks, the putting NvdA to sleep worked fine. Its not something I usually bother with in most programs since the majority of the time NvdA is okay but in this instance it seemed necessary. it is nice to see all the different powerups though.

Okay, one miner bit of feedback, I notice that the game only processes diagonal directions when both keys are pressed together, not separately.

what I mean is, if I'm holding down the up arrow to run north, and hear a mine, I can't just hit the right arrow to run northeast, since the game won't process the command unless I let go the up arrow first. Ditto if I wanted to  straight after running in a diagonal.
If possible this is something I would like to see fixed, since being able to change direction quickly and run in straight or diagonals at a moments notice would make the gameplay feel much more fluid.

other than that, am definitely liking all the trophies etc.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

Thumbs up

2019-04-09 15:37:24

i finished the game but these are the last stats before the dudes disappeared
There are currently 45 mines, 25 monsters, 4 traps, 25 items, and the board is currently 100 tiles wide and long.

Thumbs up

2019-04-09 21:43:26

lmfao? Charlie. You added the mine detector? I'm only going to step in here to say one thng. 99% of this game's code is mine. I'm not even starting a flame war. I am just saying it as it is. I have no idea how he even managed to get this version, and yeah, I don't care that it's out because it was his idea, but I don't like him saying he did stuff he didn't. Lol just saying.

-----------
Honor your life. YOLO, you only live once. Don't throw it away. Even if you must express something unkind.
audiogame, sound editor, and beginner coder
Have a nice day peeps.

Thumbs up

2019-04-09 22:09:44 (edited by cmerry 2019-04-09 22:12:45)

Audiogame, might wanna check your skype. If you check the readme, you’ll see i credited you for the other stuff you added like the brandon / sediment enemies, etc etc. And i think 99.9 per cent is giving yourself quite a lot of credit. Anyway.
Btw about the mine detecter, yeah that one was a bit of an over site on my part. I was doing an english assignment while writing that reply, so yeah.

2019-04-09 23:02:41

I didn't say 99.9. I said 99.0. And I don't see what you did. You only gave me a small template which could pretty much be used for anything, and the idea. That's about it.

-----------
Honor your life. YOLO, you only live once. Don't throw it away. Even if you must express something unkind.
audiogame, sound editor, and beginner coder
Have a nice day peeps.

Thumbs up

2019-04-09 23:18:14

This is a nice game. I'm up to 23 achievements so far.

Thumbs up

2019-04-10 04:36:20

so charlie claimed a game for his own again?
damn this guy will never change.

it's challenge not chalange

2019-04-10 08:07:23

AlirezaNosrati wrote:

so charlie claimed a game for his own again?
damn this guy will never change.

Moderation!
@AlirezaNosrati: The forum rules clearly says personal attacks and insulting is not allowed, and this is exactly what you are doing in this post. Let me explain this more clearly:
1. You say Charlie claimed a game his own again, and then set it up as a question. Fair enough, this is not against the rules. But setting this up as a question the way you do it is not a good idea without any facts at all on why you think the game should not be his own game. You could have wrote your facts on why you don't think it is his own game, and then ask if it's true or not. By writing this as a question the way you do it, is like you conclude that this is the case, without asking. This is a way to spread bad rumours, no matter if that's what you are trying to do or not.
2. You write the following: damn this guy will never change. This brakes the rules in the context in how you say this. Let me explain why:
By saying that, you just confirms me that you already have made your own conclusion, still without any facts which proves what you are saying, and you are just trying to spread bad rumours while also doing a personal attack.
Your English is actually good enough to have said this in a much nicer way if that's what you wanna do.
For those reasons, I'm giving you a warning.
Please watch your language in the future. If not, then you really need to come up with facts which proves what you are saying.

Best regards SLJ.
If you like the post, then please give it a thumps up.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Happy gaming... :D

2019-04-10 10:00:02

It’s actually sort of the other way around. I’m not saying this dude hasn’t contributed some code, but that also doesn’t make it his. I think slj summed it up perfectly.
In other news, i’ll be away for most of this week, but i should hopefully be able to start working on this some more after that.

2019-04-10 11:19:55

nice job, downloading now

2019-04-10 11:29:04

@SLJ he already cloned redspot before, if you remember, and isn't this claiming the game to be his own? i mean eg i give a suggestion to someone and that someone asks me to code that suggestion and send it to him so he can include that in his game, does that give me the writes to publish the game myself?

2019-04-10 11:29:57

so, public knowledge is personal attack nowadays.

2019-04-10 11:44:45

+1 to post 23 and 22

2019-04-10 11:49:11

so if he just codedd a small part of the game then gave to someone else to  code it, i want to understand, when he gave  it to bran, did  he said you can edit it, make it yours or something, and also, if you gave someone  to code for you you should credit him, even if he coded most of the game, but it doesn't make   you the main     dev of this game