2019-04-07 13:06:34 (edited by the blasting gd 2019-04-07 14:13:32)

So, I've been working on quite a few different music projects. Everything worked fine until I installed an update recently. The parts where I split items now seem to have long pauses in them. This is fixable with growing the right edge of the previous item, but it requires fine work and obviously quite some time if you have more items to work with and since I have more than one project which this happens to this would be rather tedious. I'm honestly not sure if that is related to a bug or, more likely, if I accidentally changed some vital settings that cause this misbehavior. I've poked into the item settings and looked at the overlap setting, but that was set to 0:00.060, so that should be fine I suppose. I'm not sure what to try and would therefore really appreciate your help.

Errare humanum est!

2019-04-07 17:55:33

I think you have probably changed an item setting in the project settings, but not sure what happens to the second item that is generated when you split? can you describe exactly what you are doing, what is happening versus what you expect to happen? that might give more clues.

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

2019-04-07 20:51:07 (edited by the blasting gd 2019-04-07 21:01:15)

Well basically, tracks that were split into items in already existing projects now have  a gap of about a second which I have to edit out by growing the edges of the items. I just looked into this behavior and it seems like I figured out why this is. Turns out that in the tracks that I experimented with ReaTune, it would implement this gap between items. The way I would use ReaTune is put it on individual items, set it to correction, then only activate the note I want, as the manual correction is not accessible. I was curious as to how ReaTune would work, which is why I tried it out. It used to work fine this way up to a few versions ago, then all of a sudden those pauses came into play. Wonder if there's a fix?

Errare humanum est!

2019-04-08 04:14:17 (edited by UltraLeetJ 2019-04-08 04:20:30)

oh, right... I had issues with reaTune as well, I just froze my already tuned tracks and rather than splitting so much used a bypass envelope, automated, but its weird, all of the sudden it really does have this weird latency you are talking about and I thought I was the only one with the issue. ReaPitch is if not, worse than this. I have not found any discussion of this elsewhere, so might have to wait for an update to reaper or something or post on official forums.
edit: never mind, apparently someone already took care of this and here are the fixes

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

2019-04-08 14:00:29

Unfortunately, the fix they are talking about concerns the manual correction which appeared to have some weird glitches. This fix was already applied in version 5.971, which is the version that introduced this odd behavior to me, at least I think it is. I've just installed the latest update that came out two days ago. Still no luck.
Out of curiosity, how do you use that envelope you are talking about? I might as well just grow the items again but I'm looking for options until this is fixed.

Errare humanum est!

2019-04-09 01:43:12

hi, you might want to check this bit on automation (tips or differences for doing it with jaws are welcome) . You basically select the bypass envelope, then set your points, and then select them all (via the context menu) and set all their shapes to square. This is assuming that
1. You set reaTune to a suitable scale ,
2. You set a very small attack like 10 ms or less and apply the automatic pitch correction and it sounds fine.

I prefer to automate in this way because the passages which might sound odd can be bypassed, split and then you adjust the pitch via the actions dealing with item properties like shift 7 or 8 and so on. CPU can have a bit less overhead this way as well.
I have also posted in that thread because i noticed this was for manual correction as well, hopefully an answer will be provided.

2019-04-09 18:18:31

I'll have to check this out as soon as I have time.
Thanks for posting there. Let's hope they'll work on it and be able to fix this.

Errare humanum est!

2019-04-23 23:55:51

found another possible cause for this, and some hints are here

2019-05-01 11:53:38

Oh, I just saw that link now and tried everything they mention on there. Ticking all the boxes, resetting my settings, to no avail.
Version 5.975 was released and the playback skip is now shorter than it was before, but it's still there.

Errare humanum est!

2019-05-02 02:36:00

well, that is because elastique was upgraded to a newer version, and I have noticed this change, too. Can you try setting a different algorithm and check the results?
and also try making sure that anticipative processing is on, and maybe this would not do much, but also the old processing method option... so much could depend on this, including windows updates.

2019-05-10 19:42:48 (edited by the blasting gd 2019-05-10 19:47:10)

Yeah, I saw they upgraded that.
I tried out your suggestions and here are the results:
Élastique Soloist has the most latency between items, but it still sounds the best of all the options available. Élastique Pro has a bit less, with Efficient delivering the best results of the three, time based anyway. The different versions did not appear to make any difference, later on at least. At first I thought they did. Rubber Band Library appears to have the same amount of pause as Efficient has, which is not much, but there is at least an audible cut. SoundTouch has about the same amount as Pro. Simple windowed has the best results. Well, they do say it's fast so they weren't lying about that one. smile
I played around with the buffer settings as well and turned on the old processing mode, as anticipative processing had already been turned on, with no avail. Well, that's not completely true. I thought it was faster afterwards, but once I unchecked both of them it stayed the same, so not sure about that.
I also found out that the cuts in between items only occur if the previous of the two items has the ReaTune effect. If only the second one does it'll go over smoothly. Of course, you can circumvent this by growing the right edge of the item, but this requires time and a lot of fine tuning, which could be quite exhausting if you have to do it on many items. big_smile

Errare humanum est!

2019-05-10 20:05:44

I found out pretty much what you have said to be true... soloist is the best sounding of all of them. As of a few days ago reaper came out with a new version that fixes elastique large memory usage, but I doubt that is unrelated and would not do much, haven't had time to check either because my DAW machine normally does not access the internet.

2019-05-11 11:10:50

It doesn't really make a difference. Maybe the cuts are less audible, but there's still a pause of about as much as it was before.

Errare humanum est!

2019-05-12 20:49:05

I have this problem as well.