2019-03-27 16:47:16

English is my first and only language at this time. I would say that I would want to learn American sign language, but that is not exzackly a spoken language is it? LOL. I sort of want to learn Spanish, but I find that no matter how hard I tried, I can not seem to even get pass the first few words, if even that far. Now, Japanese does seem interesting though.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2019-03-27 18:35:58

There was a joke among Thai language learners. It goes like this:
"If you learn Chinese, you get the grammar, but writing is a bitch.
When you learn Korean, you get the writing system, but you die by grammar.
When you learn Japanese, that's when writing and grammar are both hell for you."

Why do ghost hunters have to hunt ghosts? Well, there's a fear of being ghosted out there. They may need therapy as well as their ghost hunting kit.

2019-03-27 18:40:39

lol @27
I'd like to learn Japanese, as it is the most difficult language as per me. I'd like to learn French and Spanish too.

Best regards
Pranam
Don't forget to give me a thumbs up!

2019-03-27 18:56:28

turkish, and russian

Yours kindly

2019-03-27 21:04:55

@27, that's funy, but grammar for Korean and Japanese actually are much easier than most other languages because of how regular and consistent they both are. I speak both, and the hard part is actually in usage, not in gramar.

As for me, I'd like to learn either Malay, because my Mom is Malaysian-chinese but doesn't actualy speak it, Farci or Arabic, because I enjoy both of those cultures and know friends who speak them.

Discord: clemchowder633

2019-03-28 04:33:50

@ mata I was under the impression you spoke a different language than thai, perhaps one specific to your ethnic group whatever that may be because of other posts you have made in the english topic.

I would rather listen to someone who can actually play the harmonica than someone who somehow managed to lose seven of them. Me, 2019.

2019-03-28 16:59:31

My ethnic language is of Tai-kadai branch, Dai group, similar to Thai which is also from Tai-kadai branch but Tai group, both of southeastern Tai subgroup. It's more of a dialect which is not standard Thai most people know about. It's called Kham Mueng, in our native name, or as outsiders know it as "Lanna language". The subdialect of this language I speak is native to Lampang, my hometown, and a few other cities, which is not the standard Lanna dialect since the standard dialect is native to Chiang Mai and some cities nearby. Chiang Mai dialect is somewhat closer to standard Thai. My dialect is described as faster, rougher by those who try to learn it. Here's how it sounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBWn3fZakLk

(For those who can't see, this is an advertisement for the blooming mountain flowers of the year in a mountain village renowned for tea plantation. I had a chance to perform in this festival 11-12 years ago with a Lanna traditional musical band I was part of at that time. Beautiful stuff, one of our famous attractions besides horse carriages, ceramic making, elephant conservation center and countless temples.)

Here's how standard Lanna (Chiang Mai dialect) sounds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlTWn1xltD8

(For those who can't see, this is the advertisement for the northern style Songkran (called "Pi Mai Mueng) which is quite different from Central Thai style Songkran most tourists know of.)

Why do ghost hunters have to hunt ghosts? Well, there's a fear of being ghosted out there. They may need therapy as well as their ghost hunting kit.

2019-03-28 17:16:17

Indonesian / Malay is still on my list... it's a pity I can't find any decent learning material.

Discord: clemchowder633

2019-03-28 17:22:36

Thai, both dialects, sounds fairly musical, and I'd probably have mistaken it for something like Cantanese at a casual listen. I am fascinated by other languages in general.

So Mata, here's a question. Could someone speaking one dialect understand someone speaking another? Is it sort of like a British person talking to an Indian person, both in English? Or are there a lot of words/pronunciations that'll make sense to one and not the other?

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2019-03-28 18:11:10

Somewhat, but not all. People who know words from other dialects have easier time understanding it because all dialects are linked in some way. There're similar words used in two dialects, but not the other two, or this word is used in a dialect but not the other three (Tai-based languages in Thailand has 4 major Dialects. Each dialect is a language of its own.)

2019-03-28 18:11:50 (edited by fatih 2019-03-28 18:30:19)

Personally, I am learning Russian and I would like to learn Bulgarian. I listen to Bulgarian SONGS and it sounds very cool to me.

2019-03-28 18:12:08

Also, how much does tone, and the meaning of words change between  dialects?

I would rather listen to someone who can actually play the harmonica than someone who somehow managed to lose seven of them. Me, 2019.

2019-03-28 22:23:28

I want to learn Arabic and Hindi. I currently speak English, French, Spanish and Japanese quite fluently. Although, that's not a term I like to throw around myself. I say that I speak the four at really high professional levels. My Korean and Mandarin are at about an intermediate level. I also studied Urdu, but that's in my beginner category of being able to speak. Arabic is great, but there are just so many varieties. And some are seemingly mutually unintelligible to other speakers. I have a general interest in languages too, so always open to learning more!

2019-03-28 22:27:11

I have various dreams about learning various languages. It was for example Chinese, Japanese, Arabic ETC.
I know, that It is difficult to learn or write in Chinese, for example of writing chinese in computer is not very easy task, similar situation is sometimes with Japanese, but Korean uses Hangeul, Hanja (chinese characters) were used to write Korean.
I know, that Korean grammar is not very easy, but It is also good for update my brain. But I know, that for example, Malay, or Indonesian is easy to learn.

Ja volim samo kafu sa Rakijom.

2019-03-29 21:59:37

I'm currently trying to learn Hawaiian, but Thai definitely sounds neat!

thanks,
Michael

2019-04-01 12:02:33

There are a number of languages I'd like to learn: Japanese, Danish, Welsh, German,and Russian to name a few. I'm very slowly in the process of learning Irish Gaelic, both for personal reasons, as well as for religious reasons.

2019-04-01 19:48:51

Interesting list, haven't seen any one here interested in learning irish, I heard it was dieing out or becoming less widely used or something. Sad if it is, that keeps happening to languages.

2019-04-02 09:11:58

I die when it comes to pronunciation in Gaelic, any form of Gaelic. There was someone trying to teach me that once and I got stuck. It's probably as amusing as when I taught a friend Thai and he died trying to get the tones right.
Tones are different in each Thai dialects. It changes acordding to meaning and expression. Different tone of the same word means differently, sometimes turning something good to something totally shitty. It's difficult to grasp especially among those who speak non-tonal languages. I seriously hate Thais who make fun of foreigners for mispronouncing words. It takes serious effort.
Words aren't the same in different dialects, because each dialect is actually its actual language, but subdialects within a dialect share similar words and stuff. It may be hard for Paktai or Isan speakers to grasp Lanna because they're different main dialects, different languages to be precise, but Lanna speakers of Lampang, Chiang Rai origins can speak finely with those of Chiang Mai and Lamphoon origins because both subdialects are Lanna, even though some words may be used differently. Example given is a word to call guava in these sub dialects. Lampang speakers call it "ma-mun" (pronounced Ma "m-un, as in unfortunate, mun" when Phrae speakers call it "ma-kuay-kaew" with "kaew" of highest rising tone. Chiang Mai speakers call it "ma-kuay-kaa". In this example, Phrae and Chiang mai spakers, though being one province apart (Lampang is between these two provinces), call guava similarly. Lampang speakers, being next to both, however, call it differently. Those using the same main dialect can tell where people they talk to are from by identifying tones and words used.

2019-04-02 09:31:23

I am really bad at learning languages. But one thing that I don't like about language courses is that they have you speaking very formally, which is not what I want. I want to know the slang, and how people would normally talk. Of course, I would love to learn Japanese, but since I can't even learn more easier languages, yeah, I don't see it happening. I would probably start with Spanish, because it's the most practical, and the one I would be most apt to actually use. SO you learn this formal speak, which is definitely good, because its polite and it will get you employed and so forth, but then when you ask someone about how you are doing, they're like, why are you talking like a grandpa.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-04-02 15:57:57

Actually a lot of the courses I’ve seen online teach you both formal and informal ways to say things, a Swahili course and a Spanish course, both actually on YouTube however the Swahili course had a website.  I can’t speak on any other courses.

2019-04-02 16:06:15

Learning it the informal way actually gets you started much easier than formal because formal usually consists of shitty rules, certain ways to say things, certain words to keep in mind etc etc. I bet those who don't pay attention to English taught in class learn how to say fuck before anything else.

2019-04-02 17:23:13

Yeah, Irish is a tricky language to learn. It doesn't help me too much either that most of the places you learn it from tend to want to teach people the Ulster dialect when I specifically want to learn the Munster dialect.

Irish is the primary language I want to learn. I've been slowly learning it, word by word, over the past few years. Finally found an audio program that will help teach pronouncation a little bit better....Though it's hard to hear it properly at times. Especially when you speend it all the way up.

Like I said, there are multiple reasons for my wanting to learn irish. Religion is a large part of it. I practice a form of Irish folk religion, and knowing the language helps a lot. I specifically want to learn the Munster dialect because that's the dialect my grandfather spoke when he was still alive and some of what few words I know of it is in that dialect.

2019-04-17 08:07:47

It's weird how sometimes you hear something in a language you don't know that sounds like something in another language. In that first Thai video in post 32 I can swear I hear her say "thuma mina".

2019-04-17 10:25:32

What is that? A word from  one of the 11 south african languages?

2019-04-17 17:48:32

Latin for me since it's the basis of many languages. Plus, I like having a base language that'll help with many other languages.

Some days, interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum europe vincendarum. Or in other words. Some days I feel like conquering large parts of Europe....

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

Jace's EA PGA Tour guide for blind golfers