2019-04-06 22:55:19

Don't press space if you wanna seek the sound. Press left and right without playing.

I post sounds I record to freesound. Click here to visit my freesound page
I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2019-04-06 23:00:30

Good point. there is an option for stopping playback when you use the arrow, but playing should not be started when you scrub.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-04-07 00:12:28

Hello,
This is what I could do with the 2nd assignment:
https://yadi.sk/d/NGrq-OiAh9Qgrw
thanks for the feed back for the first one

I post sounds I record to freesound. Click here to visit my freesound page
I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2019-04-07 05:21:25 (edited by defender 2019-04-07 05:49:06)

Ah crap I didn't realize I wasn't supposed to render, but it's so obvious now why..... :-(
I remember I used two bands for the radio and the underwater both. I think Radio was like 105hz and 212hz, with inf gain on the lower band and -55 on the upper one? Either that or the other way around... I don't remember my bandwidths unfortunately but I know that one of them was about 5.  I also committed the sin of raising the output gain above 0 (I think it's at like 5) but I was careful at least and took your advice with setting the Reaper volume to 50% of full.
For under water I forget my upper band's HZ sadly, it was like 6k I think? But I know my lower band was 20HZ and 1.96 width.

Anyway, here are my things from lesson one. still need to optimize your voice, but since you basically told us how I figured I may as well just do it to see how it works and leave it at that.
I did how ever figure out how to make the internal resonance of your microphone come out, which is pretty neat, like revealing secrets in the sound that I didn't even notice were there!
https://cp.sync.com/dl/fac64c5a0/pkn78z … r-vnhk9iip

As for the dropbox problem, their are a few options. As you can see I use : sync.com, which gives you 7GB free if you use the link I provided and complete the simple tutorial. It's very accessible but doesn't work well with Safari.
Google Drive is another good option that people use, and you get 15GB free though it's shared with all your emails and phone storage if you have an Android hooked up to the cloud.
Yandex disk seems pretty popular as well and you get plenty of storage, but I don't like all the unlabeled controls.

I'm excited to learn about EQ because I've been doing what you mentioned in the lesson and finding Freesound stuff for god knows how long now (I have over a thousand sounds and 200 packs downloaded so far) so this will hopefully help me save some of the ones that are almost but not quite usable.
I've got a collection I've been working on my self for the community right here...
https://forum.audiogames.net/topic/26628/

I hope at some point we can cover proper attribution and how to add metadata to your own sounds as well, but that may be outside the bounds of the course.

Oh and, hopefully in future you could put a spoiler tag or something in front of the answers? because now I'm gonna have that in my head while trying to do it and subconsciously know I'm doing worse or better based on my settings.

2019-04-07 11:44:22

Hi.

So, here are my first 2 asignments. I am not really happy with the second one where you need to produce an underwater soundeffect, I didn't really find the right balance.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ek4zvkhoxzooy … s.zip?dl=0

Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2019-04-07 11:48:28 (edited by sunshine 2019-04-07 11:49:25)

Hello, here is the assignment-1 part III, sorry for being late. smile  Voice optimization. also, I wasn't able to download the wind rumbling thingy, if someone could provide me a db link for that, it'd be great.

2019-04-07 13:08:30

Before you can download sounds with freesound, you have to have an account with them. Then you hit E to jump to the comments, B to get to the button, down like 6 links and it should be download. I say that because freesound raelly does have some good stuff there. Some of it needs work but it's still usable.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-04-07 15:58:12

Well, here goes. Hopefully it's not terrible!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g0ubr63f5pr6i … s.zip?dl=1

thanks,
Michael

2019-04-07 16:54:48

https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%21A … ion=locate

I hope that link works. Never used OneDrive.

I thought I'd add some static to the radio one. I didn't get it quite to my liking, but it's functional. I've done it better before. I just can't remember how.

I also added some extra effects to the underwater one to give it that underwater quality where the sound kind of moves with the motion of the water. It could use some ambient water sloshing and bubbling sounds but I don't know how to do that, aside from just finding a loop of it and adding it that way.

I think I got rid of the wind you were talking about--the breeze that hits the mic directly. I tried to keep the insect noises intact so I had to fine tune things a bit. There's still the ambient breeze sounds but I can't touch those without taking too much else out.

You can follow me on twitter @s_luttrell and an almost never used Facebook account at skluttrell.

2019-04-07 18:12:37

Hey everyone, quick message - I'm inactive until tonight (Sunday) and I'll be able to get back to you then!

2019-04-07 21:01:48

ok i think i screwed the last one but others are fine i guess
https://www.dropbox.com/s/iwc5b4gw6oe8h … s.rpp?dl=1

2019-04-08 10:30:41

Hi guys! Just a question for Bryan: Could  I attend this course? I've listened to the first lesson and it's great, really; Congratulations. I'll put her e my works as soon as I can.
Thanks a lot for your work.
Bye for now.

Claudio

Claudio

2019-04-09 06:38:13

@125 I'll elaborate on optimised voice in the next lesson which should be in a few days. It just means removing the parts of human speech we find annoying and emphasising those we find pleasing.

2019-04-09 06:40:12

@128
It's a start - I gave directions to lower some of the middle frequencies around -3dB, and raise some of the higher frequencies around 2,000-6,000dB

We will expand on this a lot in the next lesson.

2019-04-09 06:45:08

@129
Radio is PERFECT - one of, if not the best in the group
Underwater is good, but on the radio you were really aggressive with cutting out those lower ones and you didn't bring that same level of removal to the highs for the underwater sound - try increasing your band width, or raising the frequency of the band, or lower the volume to -50dB.

How did you find the inherent mic noise? Really cool work there - it sounds like it's in the higher range of the male voice, around 200hz maybe? Whenever I have a new mic I always have to find noise the old fashioned way - record a "room tone" and poke around in the EQ, raising a very thin band about 5dB and moving it up and down to emphasise the noise.

This will be the next lesson.

Excellent work. Did you manage to try out the wind noise removal?

In the future, I'm not going to post answers until about 3-4 days after the initial post. I had to set you guys up with some good starting points in this first one so I really had to give you what you needed to get going.

2019-04-09 06:46:34

defender wrote:

I'm excited to learn about EQ because I've been doing what you mentioned in the lesson and finding Freesound stuff for god knows how long now (I have over a thousand sounds and 200 packs downloaded so far) so this will hopefully help me save some of the ones that are almost but not quite usable.

This is a huge purpose of the course. This will open up available sounds to you by 200-300%.

We will eventually be moving into recording your own sounds at home: foley. Foley is really, really fun: breaking celery stalks next to a mic for broken bones, etc.

2019-04-09 06:52:17

@130
Radio is excellent. You're right, underwater is slightly lacking but it proves that you got the point of what we were trying to do - especially if you recognise yourself that it's not quite there.

You needed to go slightly higher in your band frequency - you were at around 1200, and somewhere like 3000 would've worked a bit better at the band width you chose.

Did you have a try at the wind removal assignment?

2019-04-09 06:54:19

@131
Outstanding voice optimisation.
Your 2nd band is good, but it's a bit wide and that's causing my consonants to stick out just slightly more than they should. Band 2 bandwidth is at 1, try it around .35 and see if you like that better.

2019-04-09 07:06:27

@133
Excellent radio sound. You were nice and aggressive with your gain, sitting right at -60dB. Love it.

Excellent underwater. I wouldn't change a thing, very well done.

Optimisation is good - you used a high pass filter on band 1. Did you intend this? If so, it was a good choice - we'll be working with these next lesson. BUT this is something important: high pass filters in reaper need to have a bandwidth of 1 or more. For some reason it causes a dB bump in the frequencies next to your band 1 meaning you put band 1 right at 72.5Hz, which is perfect, but because the band width was thin (which is good with band type bands, and not as good with high and low pass) it caused a 3dB bump around 90 Hz. This is not your fault - this information is NOT transmitted through the data of the filter properly. This is not great accessibility but now that we know it's there, we can fix it and stay aware of it.

You can hear it, even if I didn't tell you all of that, in my P sounds. They're accentuated because of that little bump.

Great work but that high pass filter, which again is standard operating procedure in the audio world, messed you up just a tiny bit because it isn't as accessible as it needs to be.

Your band 3 is very, very wide - it's dampening frequencies from 150Hz all the way up to 3,000Hz. Bring that width down to 1 or less, and bring the frequency down to about 200.

Your band 2 is set as a low shelf. I think it might work better as a band and put at +3dB instead of -3dB. Good frequency placement though.

Great work in your wind removal.

2019-04-09 07:16:23

@134 Static in the radio sounds great. Did you also distort the original file? It works with the radio aesthetic, nice work.
Underwater sounds good - I like the added effects. You clearly know your way around the program.

Optimisation is great. If you listen, I didn't try to cover up my P sounds at all. If you wanted to bring your band 1 up to 100Hz, it might help cover up the Ps even better.

Your wind removal is perfect.

Great work with these ones!

2019-04-09 07:17:57

@137
Absolutely, jump on in!
To anyone thinking of joining: each assignment will stay up forever. If you want to join us, I recommend you do them in order.

If there are a lot of late joiners I won't be able to give feedback on assignments that are not current. It's going to be really hard for me to be doing a lot of different assignment types so each lesson will be interactive for about 2 weeks. After that, you are free to join us still but I won't be giving feedback on old assignments.

2019-04-09 07:25:21

@136
Radio sounds great - you used a high pass filter. This is something we need to address in the next lesson: high pass filters create dB bumps on the frequencies next to them. Meaning, a high pass filter (letting only mid and high frequencies pass through) might be set at 50dB, but around 80dB it's going to give +3 or even +6dB higher than what it currently is. You can get around this by making your band width smaller.

I recommend everyone reading this to check this file out and hear what I mean - it sounds like an old broken radio from the 1930s which is great for this assignment, but this will be an unwanted side effect in the future!

Underwater sound is great.

Check your "third one" optimisation: here you have a 20dB gain on band 1, which is set as a high shelf. I think this must be an error because this isn't what I recommended and you're entering dangerous volume territory. Please check out what I wrote in the post and try again.

The fourth one is great - you removed all the wind sound and kept in the leaves moving in the trees. Well done!

2019-04-09 07:35:39

Did I miss anyone?

2019-04-09 08:55:40 (edited by omer 2019-04-09 08:56:55)

hello,
i did that old broken radio on purpiss
yeah as i said, i didnt knew about the voice optumisation thing til you explain it, so yeah its really screwed
thanks for checking out the broken thing i have created bye the way tongue
and i guess, you havent missed anyone

2019-04-09 15:43:56

I think you missed mine in 129, but maybe without the project files you can't give enough feedback.  Sorry about that...