2009-01-14 07:35:46

Hi.

I don't know whether this is true or not, but there's some news that the fourth-generation iPod Nano can support speech. Unfortunately, that particular iPod doesn't have very much memory. Rockbox, the jukebox software, only seems to work on older, outdated players. I had an idea, for music lovers who have more than 16GB of music. I happen to know the iPod Classic model has about 120 GB. That would be perfect for me, or anyone else with a big music collection. Why should we be happy with what's out there now? If we asked for it en mass, Apple would at least have to sit up and take notice. I'm not saying they haven't done a great job so far--believe me, I'm glad they've finally had the good sense to put accessibility into one of their iPod products. But why not make it availible in another? Is that really asking so much?
Thoughts? Does anyone know how to contact Apple to tell them this idea?

Holden

2009-02-19 01:50:14

Hello. The thing about the newer iPod Nano is that the voice functionality isn't the best. As far as I know, you aren't able to do things like control your EQ, make playlists on the fly (without a computer near by) and other things like that (please, if I am wrong, then let me know)

Rockbox is supposed to be able to be installed on iPods up to Gen 5.5. With that, that is a bit more storage than the older Nanos (4GB) or even the ancient iPod (20GB). Grant it, you won't get the newest iPod with the 160 GB storage, but you can get near 80 GB with that.

If that isn't enough space for you, then you can go and buy one of the other supported models, and buy an HDD for it. I think that is possible with the iRiver and one other brand's player, but I forget which. Plus with that option, you can partition the HDD and have one for the player's access, and then the other is a portable drive for info storage. smile

Visit my site at VI Tek Talk.
A discussion forum for cross platform, cross device adaptive tech as well as adaptive tech insociety and different cultures.

2009-02-19 18:37:52

You can make playlist on the fly if you are happy with your playlist being call "on the go" and only adding the currently playing song to the playlist. I'm not saying that you can't have a vary short playlist, but it can be a problem. As for the EQ, you only have access to the presets. As for the speech, it sounds only agood as the voice you chosened on the control panel wich is a short coming in away when it comes to the IPod fourth gen. As for the playlist, EQ, and things like that, I'm shure that they're some sighted people who would want Apple to improve in that area. I know that the voice doesn't work with the search, alarm, and sleep timers. I'm quite shure that the voice will not work with the notes, calendar and contacts. You can forget about the games unless someone comes out with some audiogames for the device. Basicly there isn't a thing in the extra menu on the IPod that will have speech. Oh you can scroll through the extra menu and have everything in that menu spoken, but that's as far as you will go on that branch and have speech. Please forgive me for comparing it to a tree. There are one or two more things that don't speak, but I will save them for someone else

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2009-02-20 05:20:07

I haven't an iPod, but I would hope that this is just a first version. Perhaps Apple will improve as time goes on, as they seem to have done with VoiceOver on the Mac I gather.

Equally maybe they put it in this model either as a test case, or because they were revising something in the model or firmware anyway and it was an opportune time to do so without impacting anything else. If this is the case then they might well add it to other iPods as they make similar revisions to them.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2009-02-21 17:24:52

Well, the older players aren't exactly outdated. You can grab a 5.5 gen ipod - the ipod video 80 gb. Honestly - I have a 30 gb here and its plenty for me. That's around a few days of music, at the very least.
I love rockbox. They're coming out with new players every so offen.

Also, itunes is a processor hog so I've heard, and only the latest version of jaws will work with it, which I don't own and can't get unless I ask very nicely. (Owing to the fact that my time at this high school - and getting my equipment paid for - for only a few more months is why they are reluctant to upgrade me).

I'll stick with rockbox. Not that I'm against the newer players, but I am, in a way. I can go buy an 8 gb regular mp3 player for less than I pay for a 4 gb ipod! I'm paying for the name.
I could also recommend buying a sansa e200 series or c200 series, and buy a micro sd card, which I think go up to 8 gb. That would probably be cheaper, and you can put rockbox on it. Oh, and it has a built in microphone for voice recording, quite neat if I do say so myself.

Something something something insert canine related comment here

2009-02-21 22:58:56

Basically what you said is true. iTunes doesn't work with anything JAWS pre 10 *for free*. There are scripts out there, but apparently only one person/company offers them and they are $75. Running on Windows, there is a mathmatical equation that comes into play:

iTunes + JAWS = resource drain

That said, I agree with you for getting the Sansa series. My favorite player was the Sansa E200 series, which (with the availability to install Rockbox on it) only gets up to 8 GB, and then only expandable by another 4 with a micro SD card, so 12 GB total (Sansa series 1.) I don't know about the C series though...

If it weren't for the fac that I got my iPod Nano (1st gen) for absolutely free, I wouldn't own an iPod and would have definitely gone another route.

Visit my site at VI Tek Talk.
A discussion forum for cross platform, cross device adaptive tech as well as adaptive tech insociety and different cultures.

2009-02-22 06:42:20

Same here. Mind you, I love this ipod video 30 gb to death, but it was expensive and I won't be buying one again.

Get an Iaudio x5. You can get models with up to 60 gb capacities, and I doubt they're very expensive.

Something something something insert canine related comment here